Forums

Topic: Best Games played in 2021 (but not released in 2021)

Posts 61 to 69 of 69

RogerRoger

@Thrillho Great list, but surprised to see Jedi: Fallen Order rank higher than Miles Morales. Unless they're next to one another because they're kind of a wash?

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Thrillho

@RogerRoger The top 4 are probably nailed on but 5-9 could have been in a different order on a different day.

That said, I'm a bit of a sucker for more sword/lightsabre combat so there is that.

Thrillho

Th3solution

@Thrillho Great list. You’ve played some real bangers this year. I’ve played 6 of the 10 (and 8 of the 15, counting your honorable mentions) so I can totally agree with your praise of each of those. Seeing that we share appreciation for the games on your list I’ve played, I am motivated to try the others that I haven’t. Namely Kena, Miles Morales, and Disco Elysium.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Thrillho

@Th3solution Yeah, when I look back it’s mad that I’d ignored some of those excellent games for so long and then also had a small number of truly excellent new games too.

And I forgot to include The Pedestrian altogether as well!

It’s even more incredible that of the 25 games, I got 18 platinums (and The Pedestrian doesn’t even have one). I certainly won’t be matching that this year…

Thrillho

Th3solution

@Kidfried I think Miles will fit in well after Demon’s Souls, so that might be next up. I have a feeling I’ll be stuck in DeS for a while though. Perhaps I’ll need a midway break.

But yeah, MM is the game in my collection that somehow got inexplicably set aside.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Kidfried

@Th3solution Nah, you'll get through Demon Souls alright. I have never played it, but you beat Bloodborne and Returnal, so you'll surely blast through DeSo, and won't have time for Miles.

Kidfried

mookysam
  • Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 - I had such a blast playing Super Mario Galaxy as part of the 3D All Stars collection, that I immediately started a replay of its sequel. They're both marvellous and hold up wonderfully (even if Galaxy 2 is bit rough visually on original hardware).
  • Persona 5 Royal - A brilliant update of what was already a fantastic game. So many little additions, nips and tucks, and a rewarding epilogue.
  • Ys Origin - Wonderful little dungeon-crawler action RPG with an extremely satisfying and addictive combat system. The characters and wonderful localisation really stood out for me.
  • Metroid Prime 2: Echoes - Builds on the sensational first Prime with clever level design and cross-dimensional puzzles. Great fun to explore the planet Aether and switch between light and dark versions. The Wii version is easier than the GameCube original, which is good.

In all I played shockingly few games last year!

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

ThroughTheIris56

Barely actually played any brand new games this year, but here are the top 5 games:

Resident Evil 4 (PS2) - Yeah I know, I've only just played this for the first time, kill me now. Nah but it's a solid game. I feel like this would have been more exciting back in the day when it was considered revolutionary, as it leans more on it's action than horror. That being said, the combat and exploration loop is extremely addictive, and shooting a villager in the head and kicking 3 at once never gets old. A bit jank now which lead to some very frustrating moments, but overall it's a good time.

New Pokemon Snap (Nintendo Switch) - I can't believe this is a game that exists and I actually got to play. The original game was a great concept, albeit very short. While there has always been plenty of scope for improvements in a sequel, I can understand why a sequel was never made. But I'm so glad they finally did. It's a really relaxing experience, and it was always a lovely surprise seeing 3D models for my favourite Pokemon like Houndoom, Meganium (not a surprise but it's my favourite Pokemon) and Torterra popping up. And the game makes Pokemon feel like animals living in an ecosystem better than anything done before.

Omno (PS4) - Another very chill experience. It's a beautiful indie Puzzle 3D Platformer, that's unbelievably soothing to play. It won't last long and has a very easy platinum, but I felt happy every second of playing it.

Spec Ops The Line (PS3) - Solid yet generic 3rd person shooters gameplay, but we're all there for the story. I can't say much about it without spoiling it, but it gets wild.

The Legend of Dragoon (PS1 (Played on PS3)) - JRPG's are not my genre at all, and getting into this seemed daunting, but I was curious so I committed myself. It was a long and at times painful journey, but it was well worth it. It really is an epic story, with great world building, lovable characters and amazing twists. The art direction is phenomenal, with some amazing locations, and the dragoons look brilliant. The addition system is a nice twist on turn based combat, and a good use of what are effectively QTE's.

ThroughTheIris56

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.