Forums

Topic: Your top 5 games released in 2019

Posts 1 to 20 of 29

Tasuki

So I do know there is a thread for favorite game for 2019 but that one is for games played in 2019 not released I figured it would be interesting to see what the communities top games released in 2019 are. It doesn't matter what system they were released on as long as they were released in 2019.

Edited on by Tasuki

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

Tasuki

(5) World of Warcraft Classic — I never played WoW from day one, starting instead towards the end of the second expansion (Lich King) but I have always heard stories from others of the good old days of Vanilla WoW. It was something that I was interested in but sadly one could not play legally untill now. I was instantly hooked again after trying it out being able to experience the quests, the raids and the mechanics I only heard in stories. Yeah alot of the QoL improvements that Blizzard has added over the years aren't in WoW Classic but to me that just adds to the charm.

(4) River City Girls — A sequel to one of my favorite NES games of all time, yes please. This game had it all for me the music the sprite art style, the game play. Pretty much everything I loved about River City Ransom was here in this game. I also loved the fact that you played as the girls this time. With mechanics that came out of an 90s beat em up this was one game I actually wanted to get all the trophies in and when I want to do that you know the game is good.

(3) Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night — Metroidvania has returned!!! Yeah it's not Castlevania by name but this is the sequel to Symphony of the Night all Castlevania fans yerned for. Everything was spot on, the story the music the eerie atmosphere everything. I will admit after failed kickstart attempts by other developers to bring a spiritual seccessor of a beloved game series to light I was nervous about this one, till I sat down and played it. OMG it was everything I wanted and more. Plain and simple this is Igarashi at his best and a game that shouldn't be missed.

(2) Dragon Quest XI S — One of my anticipated titles of 2019. I purposely held off playing the PS4 version for the Switch version since that was the definitive edition. I almost cracked several times and bought the PS4 version due to the wait killing me, but in the end it was worth it. I am not to big on modern RPGs but DQ XI S felt like an old school RPG to me but with a large open world to explore, throw in a great story beautiful graphics and awesome sound track and you have a game that will please any RPG fan. I have yet to try the 2D mode which I am sure I will love as it will feel even more like and old school RPG. Playing this game on the Switch was definitely worth the wait.

(1) The Outer Worlds --. Where do I begin with this game. Much like how Bloodstained was a Castlevania games in everything but name Outer Worlds is that to Fallout. Having been disappointed by Fallout 4 and 76 I gave up on getting another game like Fallout New Vegas. Then I heard of The Outer Worlds and I perked up. Will it be the Fallout game I had hope for.... Yes it was. Granted it moved the setting from a post apocalyptic world to space but everything else was there. The witty dialog the combat and the great story telling. Not only did it deliver on the Fallout feel but it also gave me a great Sci Fi game to boot. I am quite excited of the recent announcement for DLC and can't wait for a sequel.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

BearsEatBeets

I've only completed 3 games released this year (I think) which would rank

1. Days Gone
2. Resident Evil 2
3. The Division 2

I'm getting near the end of Jedi Fallen Order and think it will take third. I have Concrete Genie and Death Stranding waiting to be started and Rebel Cops a few hours in but will probably get to them next year. (Much like spending a lot of this year with RDR2 and AC Odyssey).

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

themcnoisy

@KratosMD are you running forum goty soon?

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

themcnoisy

My favourite games this year have been

Dreams
Death Stranding
Team Sonic Racing

Awful year imo.

Edited on by themcnoisy

Thrillho

@Tasuki The Division 2 is the only game released this year I’ve played and finished.

I’ve come to be happy to wait to pick up games later on now. The cost isn’t a huge issue for me but with so many tweaks, patches, and DLC coming out after release, I feel like I’m being punished for getting games on release day now.

I’m still going with Ace Combat 7 which is from this year but I only picked up recently, and MediEvil is next on my list after dropping in price in a recent sale.

Thrillho

themcnoisy

@KratosMD you can pass the baton over to @Tasuki let's get him involved!

In fact if he gets a score system together this could be the thread.

RR529

5. Yoshi's Crafted World (Switch)
4. Onimusha Warlords HD (Switch)
3. Final Fantasy X HD (Switch)
2. Zelda: Link's Awakening (Switch)
1. Astral Chain (Switch)

I'm still playing catch up on PS4 (I've only had it for a little over a year), so Switch was the only system where I played any games released this year.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

Gremio108

This is really making me realise how few new games I've played this year. Just Sekiro and Shenmue III for me.

Death Stranding, The Outer Worlds, Devil May Cry 3, Dreams and Resi 2 are all on my radar if I ever get the time.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

HallowMoonshadow

Gremio108 wrote:

Death Stranding, The Outer Worlds, Devil May Cry 3, Dreams and Resi 2 are all on my radar if I ever get the time.

Is it 2005 again? Or are you secretly a time traveller @Gremio108?

I'm in a similar position though... I've only played Crash Team Racing Nitro Fueled and Bloodstained actually from 2019 😂

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

JohnnyShoulder

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy @Gremio108 I was the same up until a few weeks ago when I played Resi Evil 2 REmake. Since then I've played Shenmue 3, Bloodstained and The Outer Worlds. Not sure I rate them enough to put them in a top 5 list, they would just be in there by default. I've certainly not played some of them enough. And they would most likely not get in my top 5 games played from this year in the other thread.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

themcnoisy

@Gremio108 you need to buy Dreams. You have artistic talent mate and if you learn dreams it could be the start of a hidden talent. It's that good. A gateway to digital art and animation.

Ralizah

3) Resident Evil 2
2) Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition
1) Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Not the only three games I played that released this year, but the only ones I'd be comfortable listing as favorites. Tons of games I wanted to play, but never got around to (Death Stranding; AI: The Somnium Files; The Outer Worlds; Astral Chain; Ni no Kuni; Concrete Genie; etc.).

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

ApostateMage

I've only bought three games released this year and I enjoyed them all equally.

Resident Evil 2 Remake
The Outer Worlds
Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order

ApostateMage

JayDub

1. Days Gone
2. Control
3. Jedi Fallen Order
4. A Plagues Tale
5. Death Stranding

Edited on by JayDub

JayDub

RogerRoger

Yeah, my list isn't even a list, so I wouldn't have anything to contribute to a GOTY contest.

1. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
An elegant game from a more civilised age, not as clumsy or random as a microtransaction-packed online shooter, Respawn finally delivered on the promise of EA's Star Wars licence and gave this generation a genuinely great, single player adventure. Whilst I initially found its gameplay to be prohibitively challenging, the inclusion of a Story Mode difficulty level makes this an accessible experience everybody can tailor to their own tastes. It features some of the best characters, performances and environments from not only modern gaming, but from the entirety of its billion-buck franchise. A surprise, to be sure, but a welcome one.

2. Team Sonic Racing
Clearly a budget release, this long-delayed kart racer benefitted from the extra time spent in the pits. It does its job well, providing colourful fun with a few neat frills, like the Team Race mechanic (which everybody thought would be awful, myself included; happy to have been proven wrong) and a wealth of customisation options. Its online mode could've been a little more impressive but, for £35 at launch and likely much cheaper now, you get what you pay for. Drifting around corners, listening to a great soundtrack and shooting @themcnoisy seconds before he crossed the finish line, stealing his win? Yeah, I'm happy with that, thanks!

Also, this might not count, but I'm stretching it to make a third thing.

3. Expansion Pass Content (various)
Many of my fondest 2019 gaming memories come from games which released in 2018. First up, the outstanding Hitman 2 has had evenly-paced support throughout the year, with two new maps (New York and Haven Island) forming a core around which Sniper Assassin maps, timed challenges, Elusive Targets and seasonal content would periodically gather. Just Cause 4 finally fixed its launch issues and delivered three chunks of DLC, each one nicely self-contained and self-aware. The crown, however, must go to the Gaming Queen herself, Lara Croft, because Shadow of the Tomb Raider received seven (!!) monthly updates to add in exactly what the fans had been asking for; more tombs to raid, less people to shoot. Even the weakest was pretty good, but two of them will remain cherished memories forever, as they featured some of the best level design and "Whoa!" moments from the entire franchise to date. Absolutely stunning stuff.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Gremio108

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Oh my word. I'm even further behind than I thought!

@themcnoisy Thanks, that's nice of you to say! Definitely getting it at some point, because I think the kids would enjoy it. So it's just a matter of time. I promise I'll make something with it. God knows what it'll be though...

@JohnnyShoulder Bloodstained is another one. And Borderlands 3 as well

Edited on by Gremio108

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

HallowMoonshadow

Gremio108 wrote:

Oh my word. I'm even further behind than I thought!

Ha ha Well I can't blame you, Devil may Cry 3 is the best one @Gremio108

But I do need to play Devil May Cry V too.

The demo of it was/is pretty good and whilst only Nero was playable (I didn't particularly like him in VI) he seems to share the screentime equally with Dante and newcomer V from what I've heard rather then hog the spotlight like he does in IV...

His cyborg arms are also pretty fun and give him some great versatility in combat

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Octane

As of right now:
Death Stranding
Control
A Plague Tale
Pokemon Sword
Days Gone

But I have yet to play Jedi: Fallen Order.

Octane

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.