Forums

Topic: World Cup 2018 | OT | Jules Rimet Still Gleaming

Posts 81 to 100 of 591

PS_Nation

@Kidfried I think Germany and Spain can fight for the title. It will be interesting to watch Belgium x England, it will be the first test for both. Iā€™m expecting great things of France, Mexico, Portugal and Croatia. Word up son.

PS_Nation

Gremio108

Right. I just need Saudi Arabia to score six in this second half, and then Russia to get disqualified for doping. Quietly confident.

Edited on by Gremio108

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

Gremio108

As for England, I can't work out whether or not to get excited yet. It was only Panama, and they were terrible. I worry about our inexperience if we face a properly good side, but I feel like we can outscore any team at this tournament.

Edited on by Gremio108

YeYa

@Gremio108 Yes I agree. Panama is not good but that was at least a nice practice match šŸ‘Œ I am rooting for England against Belgium but they are dangerous.

PSN: YeYa_3

kyleforrester87

Belgium, schmelgium. We're sitting level with them after playing the same teams and we doubled the goals against Panama.

Hey, not saying we'll win, but we can be optimistic and Belgium should be as worried about playing us as we are them.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

KALofKRYPTON

I thought England had already won? lol

I mean, good grief... the way people are going on you'd think they beat Brazil!

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Gremio108

Saudi Arabia win it in the 94th minute and a nation rejoices.

Meanwhile, one man in England sheds a proud tear, as he hums the Saudi national anthem and dreams of what might have been.

Edited on by Gremio108

Gremio108

@YeYa I'm sticking to my prediction of a high-scoring draw with Belgium. Both teams could be tempted to rest players though, especially since whoever finishes second doesn't have to play their next game in the blazing heat.

roe

lol Egypt

As for England v Belgium. I think that one has the potential to be a surprisingly competitive game, depending on how the draw pans out. Especially with it being the last game to play.

If it turns out that the winner of that game has, say, Japan in the last 16, and then either Switzerland or Mexico in the Quarters, while the loser has Colombia, then Germany or Brazil - I know which draw I'd rather have!

Of course you could just as likely have a strange scenario where the loser of Eng/Bel has the "easier" route, which would be.. interesting.

roe

themcnoisy

@roe I would rather take on Columbia than Japan. To be fair I believe you should win every match you can.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

JohnnyShoulder

@Gremio108 Confidence and momentum are massive factors in sport, by resting players the team risk losing that. I can see were you are coming from but I've never heard of a manger thinking of resting players because of where or who they could potentially be playing.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Gremio108

@JohnnyShoulder Yeah, you're right. Momentum is everything in a tournament, you should be looking to win every game. And it's pointless trying to second-guess who you would face further down the line, given some of the crazy results we've seen so far.

But I wouldn't be surprised if some players are rested though. I think Southgate might want to give starts to players like Rashford and Alexander-Arnold, just so they've had that experience of walking out of the tunnel into a World Cup game.

BAMozzy

Momentum and confidence are important but so are having players that are fit, match ready and not over-whelmed by the expectation or pressure of a situation. You also don't want to burn players out too soon - if you are looking to make it through to the final stages.

Every player needs to feel that they are 'important', that they have the opportunity to play and that they are ready to the job. You can't have players that are at 60/70%, just because they played in the last 3 or 4 matches in the last 2 weeks - not if you have a player at 100% and ready to give all. Its perhaps not a good idea to put out a completely different (or 2nd team) especially as they don't have the momentum and maybe a little lower in confidence having been left on the bench in the previous 2 games but its also a good opportunity to make some changes to give those players confidence and momentum so that if they are to be required, they can slot into the team and not weaken it.

England should make a few changes at least - not just to give them some game-time or to rest others in a game that really doesn't matter result wise, but also to give them momentum and confidence. Unless their is an injury or the result is going to plan, I would also sub players that have played the previous 2 to give them a rest and give those who haven't yet played a chance to gain WC experience, confidence etc too. Ideally what you want is a full squad of players full of momentum and confidence, with match time too. You don't want to be bringing on a player who has been sat watching the whole time feeling like they are only there to make up the numbers, like the 2nd or 3rd choice option and only getting a chance because of injury or playing because the game is virtually meaningless or worse, over-trying and rash because they feel they have to to be considered.

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

PS_Nation

@themcnoisy Seriously? I respect your opinion, but I think that Colombia is more dangerous as a team. Can't forget about Senegal too. Anyway, it will be interesting to watch.

PS_Nation

PS_Nation

Portugal x Uruguay will be awesome to watch.
About Russia x Spain, could be interesting, but Spain will probably win.
I'm really impressed with Morocco and Iran, kudos for both, it's sad that they already left, the group was really difficult for them.
What a great World Cup until now.

Untitled

PS_Nation

JohnnyShoulder

World Cup 2018:Extended VAR Edition

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

themcnoisy

What I have found hilarious is our medias representation of Russia prior to the WC. Needless to say its pointless reading or listening to these outdated propagandarists anymore. Especially when it comes to travel advice.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

YeYa

Well, today Croatian second team will play against Iceland because of yellow cards and resting players for more important matches. I am eager to see how younger players will perform on world cup.

Edited on by YeYa

PSN: YeYa_3

JohnnyShoulder

@themcnoisy The same thing happened before South Africa and Brazil. I try not pay much attention to it these days as i know I'll get riled up.

ApostateMage

I'm looking forward to seeing the Iceland fans again. That Thunderclap chant sends shivers down the spine. I love it.

ApostateMage

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.