Forums

Topic: The Presidium - A General Mass Effect Topic

Posts 221 to 240 of 347

RogerRoger

@BearsEatBeets Nicely done, and congratulations on the platinum!

You're right about the Infiltrator class, unfortunately. I'm a boring player who just takes cover and shoots with a pistol or sniper rifle, so the ineptitude of things like Cloak (seriously useless) passed me by, but it must be frustrating for those who're used to an embarrassment of biotic riches. And yes, as @trev666 rightly says, the Kelly change was made in the interests of "design cohesion" but I've seen a lot of complaints, so I'm not sure BioWare won many people over on that one.

Garrus spends ME2 trading on his "Look, it's Garrus!" status. He's one of the few anchors to the previous game but it's a little overdone, with tons of we-go-way-back dialogue inserted even if you spent the entirety of ME1 blanking him. There's a lot more to him as an individual in ME3, I felt. All the back-slapping camaraderie was still there, but it felt earned.

We totally agree about Legion and his enforced timer. As clever as the Suicide Mission can be, its build-up is painfully limiting (and borderline criminal). And no, I've never betrayed Samara! Apparently the "Morinth Ending" is one of the game's official endings!

Best of luck with ME3, and I hope you're able to get the ending you want!

@themcnoisy Sweet, hope you enjoy! And yes, clock those Keepers whenever you see 'em!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

themcnoisy

@RogerRoger just finished scanning all the keepers, beat novaria and found Liara. Great world building and the stories are all amazing. They just don't make games like this anymore.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

RogerRoger

@themcnoisy Awesome, thanks for the update! I was wondering how you were getting along, and I kinda envy how you're able to space out the experience (whether by choice or not). Since I usually plan on playing the entire trilogy whenever I start ME1, I have occasionally missed some of its details.

You're right, games have moved on a lot since ME1, and not all for the better. At least we have this loving remaster now! Here's hoping you continue to enjoy!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

themcnoisy

@RogerRoger it's unbelievable, the reason I love mass effect are numerous. Even the mako is a laugh and scratches an itch I've only ever really had in crackdown on the x360 and more recently Death stranding. I need to go way over there, with not much going on and there are hills in the way. Strange but I enjoy it.

Then the lingo and building up the historic information. So well thought out with the Quarians making the Geth, Turians having a civil war, the salarians effect on the krogan genophage. It's a true work of art in universe building.

The skyboxes are incredible, the voice acting is sublime, the levelling is fun and the powers are brilliant.

It's a great game for sure.

RogerRoger

@themcnoisy I know exactly what you mean. The freedom of the Mako is liberating, no matter how small each planet's sandbox is. It's almost like a kind of interactive ASMR, driving around looking for a corner of the map that nobody else has ever found, with the mild hope of finding an easter egg or something but then never being disappointed when you don't. Beautiful stuff.

Be sure to snap a couple of shots in Photo Mode whilst you're there! I'd love to see 'em!

Making It So Since 1987

themcnoisy

@RogerRoger will do bro. ME1 has a bunch of extra missions I had no idea about, I'm approximately 18 hours in and having a great time. Unfortunately I won't be able to boot it back up for a few days, eager to crack on. How are you anyway Rog?

RogerRoger

@themcnoisy There are a handful of side quests I always manage to miss every playthrough, despite knowing where they are and how to trigger them; there's just so much to get done! It'll still be there when you're back but yeah, I sympathise, it's never good when you really get into a game and then can't play it for a while. You're busy with fun stuff, I hope?

Oh, I can't complain (well... could, but won't). Thanks for asking! How 'bout you? The kids okay?

Making It So Since 1987

themcnoisy

@RogerRoger all work ATM. Had a holiday to Greece cancel which was grim although I can finish ME next week instead

RogerRoger

@themcnoisy Ouch, sorry you had to cancel your holiday (although hurrah for Mass Effect, and for finding the silver lining). Here's to a good summer regardless!

Making It So Since 1987

BearsEatBeets

My ME3 run got put aside recently but getting back into it now. Noticed something unfamiliar on the citadel but realised in time it was the start to the Leviathon DLC which I've never played before. Also think Aria might be ready to start the Omega one. I remember the Citadel one is best left until right near the end of game but not sure about the best time to play the other 2 or if it really matters. Any thoughts from those that have played it through recently?

Also got myself a new 4k HDR tv for my room and switched the Pro upstairs as the PS5 has the prime spot downstairs now. The game is definitely looking a lot better in HDR.

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

RogerRoger

@BearsEatBeets Congratulations on the new tellybox, buddy!

Aside from "Citadel" (which is triggered by visiting Anderson's apartment; my advice is to do that after "Priority: Horizon" and before "Priority: Cerberus Headquarters"), the DLC can really be done whenever you want to. There are a few things to consider before you start them, though.

You can come and go from the missions included in the "Leviathan" storyline, spreading them out amongst other story missions or side quests. There's a lot of back-and-forth to Dr. Bryson's Lab involved in between its chunks, but this means you can manage it a whole lot easier, and don't have to consume it all at once. The problem I have with "Omega" is that, once you start it, you're locked into its events from start to finish. If you're so inclined, you can rush through it in about 90 minutes, otherwise you need to clear a good few hours and, if you're somebody who likes to finish a quest in a single session, it can be a long evening.

During my playthrough, I triggered "Leviathan" shortly after "Priority: The Citadel II" (because its last mission has some unique dialogue for Shepard's love interest, and I was romancing Kaidan) and played the whole lot from beginning to end. I then did "Omega" after "Priority: Rannoch" on a day where I was feeling particularly strong-willed, so that I could get through it quickly.

But that's just me. Whatever choice you make, I hope you enjoy your first ever playthroughs!

Making It So Since 1987

BearsEatBeets

Thanks @RogerRoger, especially handy knowing about the multi-step Leviathan and locked in Omega. I'll make sure I'm ready for a decent length session before starting the latter. It's strange, I definitely played Citadel and definitely didn't Leviathan but can't recall if I did Omega or not. I guess I'll find out if it's familiar when I play it.

BearsEatBeets

RogerRoger

@BearsEatBeets I think you'd remember "Omega" if you had, but it does also feel a lot like some deleted content from ME2 in terms of style, story and gameplay, so I wouldn't blame anybody for forgetting it was actually a part of the third game. See what happens when you get there!

Making It So Since 1987

Thrillho

Spoilers for those who haven’t played the games so far I guess but…

Untitled

Thrillho

BearsEatBeets

@RogerRoger After our last convo I was starting to think I probably hadn't played Omega after-all and sure enough after playing I definitely hadn't. Think I might have been mixing up a comic about Omega or something but it was good to play something new in the game and thought it was well done. It has come in very handy too as I had noticed I wasn't getting anything done for the 'Lift' trophy. After looking it up I realised it was almost undoable by my character class as squadmate's powers didn't count. Thankfully doing Omega gives the option of equipping one of Aria's skills as a bonus in the med bay after. With her 'Lash' power I got the 100 done in about 3 missions.

It's a silly thing but it's a shame they didn't fix the appearance of Shepard using weapons I'm not carrying in certain cutscenes. It breaks the immersion a bit.

BearsEatBeets

RogerRoger

@BearsEatBeets Now that you mention it, I think I've seen that same comic! Anyway, I'm glad you ended up enjoying it, and that it proved a useful addition in terms of trophies. When playing the "complete" Mass Effect 3 it's a personal lowlight for me, so I'm pleased to see a more positive take.

And yes, the cutscene guns bothered me, as well. Sometimes I'd deliberately pick a weaker gun for some missions, so that my immersion wouldn't be shattered. It matters!

So, what have you got left to do before your playthrough comes to a conclusion?

Making It So Since 1987

BearsEatBeets

@RogerRoger Still got quite a bit to go, the main missions I've recently finished were Curing the Genophage and the Citadel coup attempt. I'm quite surprised by the amount of little missions/tasks I've picked up walking around the Citadel after the later, I don't recall having that many before but I suppose it's been quite a while since I last played it. I've done the first couple of steps of Leviathan also and need to go back to the Citadel to carry that forward. The Citadel DLC has unlocked but will save that for later in the game.
I've probably padded out my play time by searching every system after every main story mission when the Reapers reset. It's a shame the game doesn't show where you have scanned before because I'm sure I've been back to some many times just to ultimately discover it's a bit of fuel. Still, have to be sure.
With regard to to just finishing the Genophage mission I think Mordin has grown to be my favourite squadmate of the trilogy in terms his character/story. Having watched the Big Dan Gaming vid on the variables of that mission it's kind of a shame you get a cookie cutter alternate Salarian if Mordin doesn't make it from 2. Would have been more impactful if Mordin was the only one who could have managed it (It had to be him, someone else might have got it wrong) but I suppose it might have been too harsh on those players who foolishly let him die.
Also I only discovered yesterday that the voice actor for Mordin is different in 3 from 2. I think they did a great job mimicking the original actor.

After noting I couldn't get a weapon above level 5 I was surprised to discover you still have to do another playthrough on New Game+ to get weapons to level 10. It's no big deal but thought it strange when they pretty much tweaked all the other trophies to be doable in one playthrough or put them in the Collection set of trophies.

Glad it's not just me with the cutscenes. I'll also not equip armour parts or suits that have better stat boosts if I don't like the look of it (also why would Shepard wear Cerberus armour in 3?). This is also true in many other games.

BearsEatBeets

Uncharted2007

I'm still in the middle of Mass Effect 2 but have had this since launch. Sadly, I don't have a lot of game time these days. I did take advantage of creating my own cover art but decided to take it one step further and make it look like it released for PS5.

It won't let me post images from Flickr so here's the url...

https://flic.kr/p/2kYGjHC

Edited on by Uncharted2007

Uncharted2007

RogerRoger

@BearsEatBeets Ah, neat. You've triggered both the "Omega" and "Leviathan" DLCs far earlier than I did, but it means you'll still have truckloads of game left to play when you're done, which is cool. I'm never that systematic with the star systems, though! Mainly because new places pop up around each Mass Relay the more you progress the story, so I figured nowhere can be ever really "complete" until you're nearly finished, at which point I'm doing a lap to check I haven't missed anything anyway. I totally get the compulsion, though. Hate leaving half-finished missions in my journal.

Mordin is utterly brilliant and yes, absolutely, had to be him. At least those poor, defenceless seashells won't be getting tested anytime soon. I still can't believe that BioWare included the option for Shep to actually kill him in ME3... like, what kind of monster would do that?! Had no idea it was a different voice actor, by the way! That's bonkers, they sound so alike!

Yeah, the whole armour thing is where I count my blessings as a casual gamer. I don't have to worry about stats on lower difficulties, I can just wear whatever looks best. I don't think I've ever had any of my Shepards wear anything other than standard N7 armour, across all my playthroughs.

@Telekill That's a real sweet cover, and great work with the PS5 banner! Looks really legit!

Making It So Since 1987

themcnoisy

Mass effect 2 is a beast of a game, with the extra dlc it's even better than I remember. Really enjoying Grunt, Tali and Zaeed on this my third proper run after playing on the 360. The graphics are gorgeous and that photo mode... Wow absolute belter.

One thing I love about mass effect is it respects your time. I'm 23 hours through and the variety in the story is better than any game I have ever played. So much is thrown around and before you know it, on to the next planet.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic