Forums

Topic: Ten Forward - The Star Trek Topic

Posts 961 to 980 of 2,292

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON @RogerRoger so here are a few old P.C games i dug out of a box recently, i'm thinking of getting back into P.C gaming, as much as i love playing on consoles for some reason both Sony and MS seem to be moving more towards streaming and services and i don't really want any part of that kind of future

anyway back on to the game they are both Star Trek and Star Wars but there are some awesome games here

Star Trek Hidden Evil and Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II
Untitled

Star Wars Best of P.C (Contains Empire at War, Knights of the Old Republic, Battlefront, Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast and Republic Commando) and Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords
Untitled
Untitled

and Star Trek Elite Force and Elite Force II
Untitled

my brother gave me his old Laptop, he broke the screen but i can hook it up to my TV so that's not a problem, it also has a DVD drive so i'm going to boot them up and give them a go

EDIT: i also found my Star Trek The Motion Picture 20th Anniversary soundtrack CD, say what you want about the film but it's soundtrack was awesome
Untitled

Edited on by FullbringIchigo

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Much retro! Awesome, thanks for sharing!

It's the 40th Anniversary of The Motion Picture around about now. I might give it a watch this week and you're absolutely right, that soundtrack is perfect.

And since it's up there, will you be getting the remaster of Jedi Knight II - Jedi Outcast on Tuesday?

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger yep i will and Jedi Academy when it comes out next year too

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Awesome, me too. I'm kinda more excited for Jedi Academy because you get to play as an alien, but I'm keen to see how Kyle Katarn's story continues as well.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger Jedi Academy was a great game such a shame Disney scrapped all the old EU stuff

although it's strange how they are bringing a load of it back out now after the reception to their films was lukewarm at best

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo I think they were so keen to establish their new brand, but now they're just keen to make money and particularly in gaming lately, nostalgia sells.

We'll see the same with Star Trek eventually, I'm sure... kinda already are, with Picard.

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

FullbringIchigo

@LN78 actually i didn't know that had been dealt with already, i thought it was still going on but sadly in this world money talks and normally it's the guy with the most money who wins although if you go back and look at the game the only thing they both have in common is that Tardigrades were used for space travel (which Discovery dropped pretty quickly) and nothing else plus Discovery actually started development in 2013 after Into Darkness ended a full year before Tardigrades the game was announced

now i'm not defending CBS here because they have done some really crappy stuff to a lot of people in the past but i think this time at least there wasn't any plagiarism going on here and is probably just that rare occasion where 2 people had the same idea at roughly the same time

FullbringIchigo

@LN78 of course the whole Tardigrade stuff was dumb anyway, it didn't work at all in a Trek setting not when that kind of thing, the subjugation of a creature to advance your own needs had been done before in other Trek shows and was always shown to be bad such as the pilot episode of TNG so it was just retreading old ground and we all knew they would let it go at some point

and that's just indicative of one of the main issues with Discovery, it was so by the numbers sci-fi that it was boring especially in Season 1, it got better in Season 2 and Anson Mount was awesome as Pike (so much so i would love to see a spin off)

but who knows, now it's gone 900 years into the future it might be able to make a name for itself unless the rumours of it just being a take off of Andromeda is true

FullbringIchigo

@LN78 they are coming back for some Short Treks but who knows if they will for anything else (on a side note now CBS own Viacom i would love a Movie with that cast) but i thin after the backlash about Discovery being so close to TOS i think they want to avoid that period of time for now

FullbringIchigo

@LN78 i still have mixed feelings on Picard right now they said it's going to a hybrid of TNG and Discovery in it's style and i'm not sure what kind of creature that's going to create

FullbringIchigo

@LN78 apparently Netflix turned it down because of how CBS dealt with them over Discovery, the initial deal from CBS meant that Netflix paid enough to pretty much cover all of Season 1's production costs and that's where it starts to go wrong, after that CBS tried to charge Netflix as much as they did for season 1 for the first batch of short Treks (which is why it took so long for Netflix to get them) and even after that they wanted even more money for season 2 than Netfix paid for season 1 so Netflix pretty much told them to jog on

not only that but apparently Netflix were very upset with how Discovery was handled behind the scenes and the fact that it's viewing figures are lower than any of the other Trek shows they have on there, even TOS which is over 50 years old and people aint going back to it either so it's not doing what Netflix want viewers to do and "binge watch" their shows

basically for Netflix it's not drawing in viewers and it's not getting them numbers so they really don't care anymore

FullbringIchigo

@LN78 because then they would have to admit that everything they have said and done is wrong and while it was true a lot of people signed up to CBS All Access when Discovery first released a lot of those people didn't stay after it finished and some didn't come back for season 2

CBS were and are still pushing a streaming service with Discovery as it's lead and they can't admit it somewhat failed because that would undermine everything they are trying to do and also upset all their investors

the whole reason they are re-merging with Viacom is to save Star Trek because neither side could make a proper Trek product because of the licence being split between them, we can but see but Discovery's first season bombed, it's second season improved but suffered from trying to fix all the mistakes of the first and now they can only hope they get it right with season 3 otherwise there wont be any coming back and the only option left to them will be to end it

which they might do if Picard is a hit and it's one of the reason we are getting show such as lower decks, right now ViacomCBS are throwing things at the wall to see what stickc

Edited on by FullbringIchigo

RogerRoger

@LN78 Thanks for the heads-up yesterday; I hadn't seen that case resolution either. It was unfortunately inevitable, for the reasons you suggest, and I agree that it's never nice to see a massive corporation trampling all over a "small fry" with a big idea (an idea that, as @Fullbringlchigo rightly says, really didn't feel like Star Trek at all; it reminded me why I don't tend to read a lot of the books and comics, as they tend to go for "bigger and weirder" high-concept storylines which could never have worked as an episode of a show, and therefore feel out-of-place).

As for the rest of this page's discussion, which has been really cool to read by the way, I'm reminded of the rare moment when Netflix didn't release actual viewing figures (they never do) but did release a list of the most popular and re-watched episodes of Star Trek, to build hype for the forthcoming first season of Discovery. It was mostly Voyager and Borg-related episodes, with The Next Generation also healthily represented, and no fan site reported it because it didn't fit with their established conventions (Voyager is rubbish, everybody likes the original series and Deep Space Nine, etc.) but now we're about to get a show featuring Picard, the Borg and Seven of Nine...?

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@LN78 Yeah, I saw this last night. Way too young to die.

His work, alongside the work of the other Ferengi on Deep Space Nine, was remarkable. I adore "It's Only a Paper Moon" (DS9) specifically because Mr. Eisenberg's performance makes it effectively hit a little too close to home. He took an annoying little dweeb of a character, somebody designed to periodically show up and get Jake into trouble, and made him one of my favourites; that's real skill, right there.

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@LN78 yeah i saw that too

Goodbye Nog, may The Divine Treasury give you all the riches you wanted

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger so i got Jedi Knight 2 Jedi Outcast and it's fun BUT the controls are a bit "floaty" so it makes aiming a little hard and it makes some of the more precise platforming hard too
Untitled

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Yeah, I feel the same. I've turned the analogue stick sensitivity way down, just to be able to control Kyle with a reasonable degree of precision.

Are you playing in first-person or third-person? I found third-person to be even worse for shooting, although I haven't gotten my lightsaber yet so I'd imagine it's more for that kinda gameplay (as hinted at by the options menu).

Seeing the Activision and Raven Software logos at the beginning made me think... perhaps we could see a port of Star Trek: Voyager - Elite Force at some point...?

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger i tried 3rd person during the first level, it wasn't great but then again it never was for shooting even in the original, it's much more suited for the Lighsaber combat

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Neat. Once I figured out the save system and some of the in-game mechanics, like the shield recharge points, I quite enjoyed the opening shooter levels; very reminiscent of the previous game (and therefore many childhood memories for me). Kinda makes me wish I wasn't about to get my lightsaber back!

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic