Forums

Topic: Ten Forward - The Star Trek Topic

Posts 821 to 840 of 2,292

FullbringIchigo

So i recently watched "Dragons Teeth" Season 6, Episode 7 and has anyone noticed how the Vaadwaur's history is VERY similar to the Iconians, an old and powerful race who traveled great distances quickly and used their power and Knowledge to enslave other worlds who are then destroyed by a collaboration of species they oppressed

has anyone else noticed things like this in other episodes/series?

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Good to know for if / when I try and replay it all with a new character. Some of those later missions were really, really difficult because I doggedly stuck with my Intrepid-Class.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger i actually went back to using mine, at level 65 it's base hull in battle goes up to just over 75,000 and my phasers attack goes up to 1080

it's fast, it's manoeuvrable plus i have the ablative hull amour too

yeah i can only have 3 fore and 3 aft weapons but but that's not really an issue

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo That's actually a pretty good amount of weapon ports, though. Even my biggest, most lethal ships (the Universe-Class, the Son'a Battlecruiser and the Son'a Collector) only have four a piece, or have five fore but only two aft or something. It's all balanced quite nicely.

Oh, and your point about the Vaadwaur? I forget the exact quote, but something along the lines of "there are only six original stories in all of history"... right?

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger oh you mean The Seven Basic Plots

• Overcoming the Monster
    Definition: The protagonist sets out to defeat an antagonistic force (often evil) which threatens the protagonist and/or protagonist's homeland
  • Rags to Riches
    Definition: The poor protagonist acquires power, wealth, and/or a mate, loses it all and gains it back, growing as a person as a result.
  • The Quest
    Definition: The protagonist and companions set out to acquire an important object or to get to a location. They face temptations and other obstacles along the way.
  • Voyage and Return
    Definition: The protagonist goes to a strange land and, after overcoming the threats it poses to them, they return with experience
  • Comedy
    Definition: Light and humorous character with a happy or cheerful ending; a dramatic work in which the central motif is the triumph over adverse circumstance, resulting in a successful or happy conclusion
  • Tragedy
    Definition: The protagonist's character flaw or great mistake which is their undoing. Their unfortunate end evokes pity at their folly and the fall of a fundamentally good character.
  • Rebirth
    Definition: An event forces the main character to change their ways and often become a better person.

Edited on by FullbringIchigo

FullbringIchigo

here is a Trek Question for you all

which ship had the most EFFICIENT Bridge design and this has a few rules, 1: only the main ships from the shows or films and 2: it doesn't matter which one you like most it's about which is the most efficient design

Untitled

1701-A V1
Untitled

1701-A, V2
Untitled

1701-D, V1
Untitled

1701-D, V2
Untitled

1701-E
Untitled

Defiant
Untitled

Voyager
Untitled

NX-01
Untitled

1701-Kelvin
Untitled

Shenzhou
Untitled

Discovery
Untitled

1701-Discovery
Untitled

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Yeah, those plots.

And good question. I mean, when the US Navy visits the cardboard set of your science fiction television show to take notes on C&C layout, you know you've done something right. I think that the original bridge design should therefore get a huge nod for that.

Personally, I think that the Enterprise-D and the Defiant look pretty efficient, if only because they're minimalist and aren't cavernous, meaning you don't have to shout across a football pitch to issue orders. I love how Voyager compartmentalised everybody's stations; for me, as somebody who likes to shut out distractions and focus, I'd probably feel most able to do some work at either Harry's or Tuvok's alcoves, or at the engineering / science side-stations.

In fact, put the NX-01 slightly above the Defiant, because at least everybody is facing inwards, rather than away from one another. That's a key consideration.

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger here is an example of a T1 Connie at player level 5
Untitled

and at level 15
Untitled

FullbringIchigo

NEW IMAGE FROM STAR TREK PICARD

Untitled

FullbringIchigo

It's back in the rumour mill

CBS/Viacom Merger Announcement Expected Soon – Star Trek Re-Unification Cited As Factor
Untitled

Reports regarding the re-merger of CBS and Viacom (parent company of Paramount Pictures) are buzzing again with expectations that an announcement could be made in August. Today it is being reported that bringing Star Trek back under one roof as it was before the CBS/Viacom split of 2005 is one of the considerations for the re-merger.

CBS and Viacom talking merger

CBS and Viacom were again discussing a merger after talks broke down in 2018. Former CBS CEO Leslie Moonves was the main opponent for the deal, with Moonves gone controlling shareholder Shari Redstone appears to be getting her wish of merging. Earlier this week CNBC was first to report that both companies have picked August 8th to come to a deal. This report was later confirmed by industry trades. The date was chosen because it is the day both companies are set to announce their latest quarterly earnings. Variety is reporting today that Viacom CEO Bob Bakish has a lock for the CEO job for the merged entity, and both company’s boards are already discussing the post-merger management structure.

Industry analysts have been bullish on a re-merger. In addition to cost-savings and economies of scale resulting from a merger, it is expected to give the combined entity a boost in advertising revenue. The merger is also expected to position the merged entity better in the “streaming wars,” which may also lead to additional CBS acquisitions such as Starz, Lionsgate, and Univision.

*Star Trek is a factor

And according to today’s The Hollywood Reporter, Star Trek is also a motivating factor. From today’s article:

Some insiders — only on deep background, but with a straight face — say that putting Star Trek back under one roof is, indeed, one important reason to reunite Viacom with CBS, much like Disney has worked hard to keep as many Marvel characters as possible in its singular House of Mouse. For that matter, Mission: Impossible also could use some continuity, as Viacom has the films while CBS ran the original series from 1966 to 1973.

CBS – who would be the purchasing entity for the merger – is clearly taking Star Trek seriously with their continued expansion of the television franchise. The company has announced a number of additional Star Trek series for CBS All Access, and an animated series for kids on Nickelodeon — which happens to be part of Viacom. All of this activity has been put under one roof already with the recent CBS announcement of the Star Trek Global Franchise Group, headed up by Alex Kurtzman. A re-merger would likely involve this group taking over the development of Star Trek feature films

*Original Article CBS/Viacom Merger talks, TrekMovie.com

FullbringIchigo

also the Star Trek SDCC panel is today at 11:30 am (that's 19:30 UK) and they are showing Discovery, Picard and Lower Decks

i suspect that the news about what was said will be coming online over the next 24 hours or so

FullbringIchigo

round up of the Discovery panel, also inclueds a trailer for the upcoming Short Treks

https://intl.startrek.com/news/david-ajala-joins-discovery-bo...

FullbringIchigo

Star Trek Lower Decks to introduce a brand new class of ship the California Class

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger @KALofKRYPTON lower deck preview and i have never seen those unifroms before so i wonder when it's set?

Untitled

https://intl.startrek.com/news/lower-decks-cast-and-character...

EDIT Lower Decks takes place in 2380 so it's after Nemesis and 7 years before the Hobus Supernove

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON @RogerRoger oh they did show something else at the SDCC event, nothing major just a STAR TREK PICARD TRAILER

plus not gonna spoil it but wait until the end

EDIT you can also get a better look at the new uniforms
Untitled

FullbringIchigo

some more pics from Lower Decks

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

and the official logo
Untitled

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Thanks for tagging me with all these updates. I've been away all weekend and being able to come here and get a hit of everything at once is a real time-saver!

Even after a really rough week, my grin upon seeing Jeri Ryan was apparently a spectacular one.

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger i admit when i saw her and Data in the trailer i fanboyed out a bit

oh and why not in the trailer because the episodes have not been filmed yet both Troi and Riker will be showing up in Picard too

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo I know, I saw. Thanks. They can't have him directing two of the episodes and not showing up in front of the camera somewhere down the line!

That only leaves three of the core cast to potentially return (Beverly, Geordi and Worf... well, four actually, as I'd quite like to see Wesley return as well, even though that'd get complicated since he's basically a god now... and as much as I love Denise Crosby, I'd be real surprised if we ever saw Sela again).

Since they're dealing with former Borg (because Jonathan del Arco is also back as Hugh) I'd love it if Janeway, B'Elanna and Tuvok were also on-hand somewhere, or maybe even Icheb, to offer some assistance. But I think I'm really pushing my luck with those wishes; as it stands, they're tipping the canon / plot logic hat more than enough... or at least, more than I ever expected them to.

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic