Forums

Topic: Ten Forward - The Star Trek Topic

Posts 741 to 760 of 2,292

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo @KALofKRYPTON Good discussion, chaps.

As for me, I've written tons of Star Trek fan fiction so if you're asking me what I'd personally do, I'd probably just adapt one of them. I wouldn't even set it aboard an Enterprise (although one possible ending I'm toying with for my current project is to lead into the creation of the Enterprise-J in the distant future, giving it a special purpose or mission or something). It's all original characters, new ships and (hopefully) fresh ideas, whilst still retaining that traditional feeling of a lightly-serialised family adventure story. For every space battle, there's a quiet morality play or character study... and that's what modern Trek has forgotten, I think. That's why it doesn't feel special any longer. There haven't been any "The Measure of a Man" (TNG) moments yet.

If you're gonna go into the distant future, I'd have a united Milky Way beginning to explore the Andromeda Galaxy and encountering new threats, as well as new friends and wacky new stuff. That would be the next logical expansion of Trek's evolution; maybe make the alliance in the Milky Way brand new, so there can still be some dramatic tension between your familiars (Klingons and Romulans sharing a table can't suddenly be old hat) but ultimately they come together to deliver on the core message of hope, optimism and faith in the decency of humanity (with a small H) and morality.

But before then, I'd be happy with just "here's a new ship, and a new crew, and there's this large corner of space we haven't explored yet... tune in every week as they go to the next bit and poke around" because that's what Star Trek ultimately is (and isn't any more).

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

RogerRoger wrote:

If you're gonna go into the distant future, I'd have a united Milky Way beginning to explore the Andromeda Galaxy and encountering new threats, as well as new friends and wacky new stuff. That would be the next logical expansion of Trek's evolution; maybe make the alliance in the Milky Way brand new, so there can still be some dramatic tension between your familiars (Klingons and Romulans sharing a table can't suddenly be old hat) but ultimately they come together to deliver on the core message of hope, optimism and faith in the decency of humanity (with a small H) and morality.

that would be the natural evolution of what the previous series did BUT CBS seems to have chosen to ignore everything the old shows did fro their own view of what Trek should be, not saying that they couldn't make a good insightful Trek like the shows of old but they seem to be going for character drama and shocks

they basically turned it into a soap

so i can absolutely see the rumour of season 3 being a rip off of Andromeda being true, not that the story of a lawless galaxy and a fallen Federation couldn't work BUT i don't have faith Kurtzman and the Discovery writers can pull it off

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo
They'll be fine. They've got like, 200 shuttles on Discovery anyway - so it doesn't matter how lawless the galaxy is!

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON at this point i'm surprised it doesn't have a Multi-Vector Assault mode yet

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo I don't understand this modern trend of "we have to destroy everything to understand it" in cinema and on television. What would destroying and rebuilding the Federation accomplish? Why can't it just naturally expand to unify the galaxy, before being tested (and therefore dramatically analysed) by a larger external threat? Does my head in. If that's where Discovery is headed, count me out.

@KALofKRYPTON Only 200 shuttles? Pfft. Voyager had 647. And a Delta Flyer.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger you know they really should have just rebooted the entire franchise instead of trying to do something new but still ride on the coat tails and nostalgia of the older shows

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger I think the less we dwell on Voyager's shuttle inconsistencies, the better

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON or the Torpedoes

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger @FullbringIchigo

i'm part-way through a re-watch of it now. Trying not to skip as much as I did last time.

Season 2 holds up better than I give it credit for, but bloody hell was that ship fragile! (apart from when it wasn't)

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON hold on which series are we talking about here, Voyager or Discovery?

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo Voyager!

Discovery is infinitely at the edge of its limits!

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON Discovery was at the edge before it even aired, insisting everyone calls it "Disco" doesn't help either

nor does the actors using it to push their own political and social agendas

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo

It's making big deals of things that actually aren't big deals. If there had been no black female lead shows or no openly gay relationships or people 'on the spectrum' depicted anywhere else; they may have been a little more easy to digest.

Instead it's just back-patting for themselves for stuff that people in real life mostly aren't fussed about and have seen before elsewhere.

I've no problem with Trek pushing/questioning the socio-political status quo - when it actually is doing that rather than just virtue signalling for the show runners.

FullbringIchigo

looks like they are doing some more Short Treks with Spock and Number One

https://trekmovie.com/2019/06/23/star-trek-short-treks-with-e...

to be fair the Enterprise officers were the bast characters of Season 2 so they could be good but i would have rather had a proper more traditional series set on the Enterprise

or a film

FullbringIchigo

in ACTUAL Star Trek gaming news (i know what a shock anyone would think this was a gaming site or something) Star Trek Online: Rise of Discovery is out, it adds 2 new story chapters a a few new TFO's

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo
I'd watch a discoPrise film - but I fear that given the aesthetic, it would feel very Kelvinverse!

RogerRoger

FullbringIchigo wrote:

in ACTUAL Star Trek gaming news (i know what a shock anyone would think this was a gaming site or something) Star Trek Online: Rise of Discovery is out, it adds 2 new story chapters a a few new TFO's

Ah, that explains the 11Gb my PS4 randomly decided to download yesterday... thanks!

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON to be fair the Kelvinverse style could work as a film, after all film and TV is a very different beast, it just need a decent writer and director

@RogerRoger yep that's what it was for, i haven't got round to playing it yet though as i was too busy playing FFIX

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger @FullbringIchigo
I think you'll find that 11GB is Control, come to add your technological and biological disti... oh no, wait...

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON you know i can't believe people actually thought Control was the origin of the Borg, i mean the Borg had existed for centuries before Control was even programmed, although i will say it's obvious the writers took inspiration from the Borg for Control but it just came off a cheap knock off

the spoiler tag is for RogerRoger as i'm not sure he has watched season 2 of Discovery yet

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic