Forums

Topic: Ten Forward - The Star Trek Topic

Posts 721 to 740 of 2,292

RogerRoger

@Fullbringlchigo As promised, went to see my Mum last week and found these old beauties...

Untitled

Untitled

Couldn't find the special 25th Anniversary documentary tape that came with them, though. Must have a proper hunt for that at some stage. Also had Generations and First Contact there as well, plus a couple random two-episode VHS tapes of The Next Generation. Couldn't tell what one of them was, but the other was "Unification, Parts I and II" (TNG).

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger Noice, i love how old VHS collections would have a picture like that on the side

i'm currently looking for my Voyager "Caretaker" VHS, i know i have that somewhere

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger very nice indeed!

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

FullbringIchigo

So what does everyone think about the contract between Paramount and Bad Robot being done and that they may soon be signing an exclusive deal with Time Warner

if true the big question is was this the reason that Star Trek 4 was canned? and how would this effect potential future films (of course if CBS and Paramount could actually get together again then there would be no issues at all)

personally i would love them to take the Enterprise crew from Discovery season 2 and make some films with them because Anson Mount and Ethan Peck did a great job as Pike and Spock plus they have 10 years to fill in

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo
Unfortunately I have very little faith that a move to Warner would be beneficial. Warner Bros. exec's really can't be trusted with anything and the HBO arm would be the first to jump on Django Trek!

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

RogerRoger

FullbringIchigo wrote:

i'm currently looking for my Voyager "Caretaker" VHS, i know i have that somewhere

Here's hoping it hasn't been lost 70,000 lightyears away.

As for the contract shenanigans, I tend to stand back from that kinda news and wait until it has a measurable impact. Things could look very different and sometimes it's fun to speculate, but we kinda know why Star Trek 4 has been booted into development hell (contract arguments) and I recently read yet another interview with Quentin Tarantino where he said "yeah, we've got a script and JJ loves it and we just need to make a few final tweaks" so maybe that's being moved up, too.

Bottom line? I'll react to a trailer.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON true and as for what happens to Bad Robot i don't really care but do you think this is why ST4 was cancelled? and what will happen to future films?

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger yeah i still haven't found it, i think it might be in one of the boxes in the spare room but i will find it eventually

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo As @RogerRoger said - contract and pay disputes probably did for Star Trek 4.

Beyond didn't make enough money either - despite being the overall best of 3 not particularly great Trek films.

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger @KALofKRYPTON so if it was you what would you like the next Trek film to be?

i would love a new ship and crew, not tied to ANY of the other shows and set it about 100 years after the end of Nemesis that way they can modernise it all they want and not have to worry about clashing with the older shows

if i'm honest tying the new stuff into the old so closely is what was detrimental to them, just imagine if the 2009 movie wasn't a reboot and was in fact set in the 25th century and the Enterprise in the film was the Enterprise F or G (still keep the uniforms though they were nice and you could always say that Starfleet went a bit retro) and instead of being Kirk and co being brand new characters

same with Discovery setting it 10 years before TOS and tying into Spock and his family was a mistake

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo I'm OK without any more Trek films if I'm honest.

For me, the series to film transition is the Star Trek ideal. We get to spend several years with a crew so there isn't a huge burden for character development. We know the universe, we know the ship(s). We know the terms and the technobabble and the okudagrams and LCARS. All we need then is a decent adventure, and it doesn't matter if it's action oriented because we've seen these characters in all manner of situations.

The Kelvin films frankly, were too 'sexy'. Too style over substance. We sort of know the characters, but they're approximations. We did't really know the universe, or the ships - there wasn't much technobabble and what there was wasn't very good.

What I want from a Star Trek film is incredibly unlikely to happen. A series close post-Nemesis setting. New ship, new crew. Take the overall template from Titan (books) and run with it.
Then move on to movies.

Edited on by KALofKRYPTON

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON well CBS seem to really want to push Discovery for some reason even though it hasn't really resonated with the fanbase, it's a decent enough Sci-Fi show but it's probably the worse Star Trek show

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo No probably about it.

They'll want the push just to keep it going and potentially make money. If the lawsuit doesn't go their way, they'll need it to pay for the losses.

Sending the ship off to the far future is probably the best idea anyone on that show had - and I feel like that was done in desperation.

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo

Also - I think the core of Star Trek, for a film at least - is having an Enterprise as the star ship. If it isn't that, I doubt huge numbers of the film going public would care.

So a new series on/featuring heavily a new Enterprise. Perhaps a small group of ships that we as the audience follow along with. Something akin to an anthology series moving from ship to ship as what was proposed before.

I know I keep saying it, but there's so much they could've done with the immediate post-Nemesis setting that it's criminal that it remains left alone.

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON no doubt it was done in desperation

now they just need to get their lead to actually be a decent and well written character instead of a Mary Sue that the whole universe revolves around

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo
Or they could just cancel and go with my idea - I wouldn't even sue them!

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON well they aint above using other peoples ideas so you never know

speaking of other ideas i STILL think Discovery Season 3 will be a rip off of Andromeda, a lawless galaxy where the Federation has fallen and it's up to one last Starfleet ship and crew to rebuild it

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo
They should be going to the 3200s - so probably around 50 years after the temporal cold war we learn about in Enterprise.
There could still be the Galactic Union (Fed, Rom, Kli).

I think they'd be smart to keep the Alpha quadrant relatively unified and introduce a different threat.

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON i'm sorry did you just use the word Smart?, this IS CBS and Secret Hideout we are talking about

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo Good point. Well made.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic