Forums

Topic: Ten Forward - The Star Trek Topic

Posts 641 to 660 of 2,292

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo I don't think Kennedy actually set out to do anything - she's just... there.

Johnson thinks he's smarter than he is(or at least, smarter than his audience); that combined with his disregard for Star Wars, its fans and even fan-service left us with a badly scripted, lazily directed, pious and obtuse film that fails to work in pretty much every regard.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON hey i'm not saying it worked, just that he did what he set out to do

just what that actually was though, **** knows

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Whilst I chuckle at the subsequent debate between you and KAL, thanks for tagging me with the Star Wars picture. I'm actually quite excited for Episode IX.

It's gonna be interesting, with all the Star Wars content hitting at the same time as Picard.

I know which one I should prefer, but... well...

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger @FullbringIchigo
I'm sure IX will be better than TLJ, TFA is better too, and a better film in general.

Not quite looking forward to the almost inevitable narrative back-flips JJ may have had to come up with...

For SW, I think that The Mandalorian will be the ultimate saviour of the franchise in the immediate future.

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger well assuming that Picard is still on target for release this year, yeah as a fan of both it will be interesting to see which one grabs me more

@KALofKRYPTON i'm sure JJ had to do a lot of backflips to accommodate all the stuff Johnson did especially killing of Luke BUT he did show that Force Ghosts can still interact with the real world so Luke could still be there and do anything he needs to do

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo I really hope they don't try to explain that 'he forced so much that he died'

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo @RogerRoger
I saw this the other day - actually burst out laughing!
Untitled

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON @RogerRoger HA

anyway back onto Star Trek and here is another VHS set from my collection

i used to watch these all the time when i was younger, it's why i can pretty much recount these episodes from memory now

Untitled

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo Wow!

I'm almost tempted to go to my mom's place and see what's still there...

FullbringIchigo

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger @KALofKRYPTON the Star Trek Picard trailer dropped and i managed to get a hold of it as CBS still insist on region locking their videos

and a good thing too as CBS pulled it so i guess it wasn't meant to be released yet

Edited on by FullbringIchigo

KALofKRYPTON

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON i'm guessing the event that happened 15 years before that caused Picard to leave Starfleet was the Hobus Supernova

it will be interesting to see just what happened

oh and the UK version has been released on Amazon Prime's official Youtube page too

FullbringIchigo

now THAT is a hell of a promo image

Untitled

even this early and they are advertising it better than they did Discovery

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo @KALofKRYPTON Much to unpack!

First and foremost, I'm dismayed at the use of a "Do it!" meme featuring somebody other than Kathryn Janeway. Especially in this, of all topics!

Untitled

Secondly, that's an awesome VHS up there. My best retro find would be the first five films, which made a picture of the Enterprise-A when you lined them up, along with a special 25th Anniversary VHS presented by Shatner and Nimoy. It gave a sneak peek at The Undiscovered Country, showed rare bloopers from the original series and had a sizzle reel from TNG's fourth season at the end. They're back at my Mum's in Surrey and I'll try to remember to grab them when I'm next there (not that I've got a VHS machine to play them on, of course).

And then there's the teaser.

Chills.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger i have The Motion Picture through Insurrection on VHS but there is nothing special about them, the first 6 are that black box release they got in the UK (i'll post a picture tomorrow once i have dug them out)

of course one thing about them is they are 4:3, yeah that's right the old full screen release

oh and Insurrection is in a shiny box too

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo I had that shiny box Insurrection as well, the cardboard one that kinda folds over itself instead of the standard plastic case! Ah, good times.

That special five-film set was all widescreen, despite us not having a widescreen TV. They'd often look squished up, or the picture was far too small when they presented in 16:9 on my tiny box telly I had in my bedroom. I still remember the day I upgraded to DVD and could freeze-frame properly! Nemesis was the first film I got on DVD, I think. That or Die Another Day. They both came out around the same time. Bond might've had the edge by about a week.

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger i can't remember the first DVD i brought, the first blu-ray i brought was Final Fantasy VII Advent Children though

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Ah, the first Blu-Ray I bought was definitely Die Another Day. I'd just gotten a laptop with a Blu-Ray drive and my flatmates (all nerdy geeks... or geeky nerds, whichever works) crowded around to see what "the future" looked like. Good times.

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger i had just got my first HD TV (even though i already had a PS3, yeah that's right when the PS3 came out i was playing it on a old tube TV in SD) so i decided to get a blu-ray to see what all the fuss was about

i was NOT disappointed

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic