Forums

Topic: Ten Forward - The Star Trek Topic

Posts 541 to 560 of 2,292

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo At work, so I can't watch it.

I tend to disagree with list like this anyway most of the time

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON well the list is

10 The Vulcan Hello: Discovery (i don't agree with this one, this was the WORST of the Disocvery so how this got here is mind boggling

9 Darmok: TNG

8 The Trouble With Tribbles: TOS

7 Yesterdays Enterprise: TNG

6 Mirror Mirror: TOS

5 All Good Things: TNG

4 In the Pale Moonlight: DS9

3 The City on the Edge of Forever: TOS

2 The Inner Light: TNG

1 The Best of Both Worlds: TNG

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo There aren't any essential Discovery episodes

Not a bad list - could switch out number 10 for 'In a Mirror, Darkly':ENT.

I'd replace 'The Trouble With Tribbles' with 'Scorpion':VOY or even 'Caretaker':VOY.

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON yeah i would put In a Mirror Darkly on the list instead of The Vulcan Hello, also Trials and Tribble-ations as a honorary mention

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo While we're at it - 'City on the Edge of Forever' is great, and I'd happily look at a young Joan Collins all day - I don't think it's necessarily 'essential' Star Trek (TOS), certainly not more than say, 'Amok Time'.

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON oh true or The Doomsday Machine or Balance of Terror

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Forced player engagement is often the sign of an online game which was once hugely popular, but is now desperate to try and retain a shrinking audience. The console version of Star Trek Online was a huge hit when it launched, surprisingly so, but it seems real empty of late. It doesn't help that all the recent updates have been about Discovery, a show fans are hesitant to embrace. It's kinda why I didn't mind the hundreds of hours I put into STO over the first couple years; I know someday, perhaps sooner than we all think, they're gonna pull the plug. At least I'll have my screencaps.

As for that list, yeah.

I do love how the presenter tries desperately to make "The Vulcan Hello" sound like proper Star Trek (making it sound like the entire thing's plot is about the crew traversing a desert to save an alien race's water supply... wasn't that, like, the five-minute prologue?).

Ones I agree with would be "Darmok" (TNG), "The Trouble with Tribbles" (TOS), "All Good Things..." (TNG), "The Inner Light" (TNG) and "The Best of Both Worlds" (TNG).

Unfortunately, whilst I adore "Yesterday's Enterprise" (TNG) I do find it kinda overrated; same with "Mirror Mirror" (TOS) and "The City on the Edge of Forever" (TOS). My vehement opposition to "In the Pale Moonlight" (DS9) is already on record. The list needs more Voyager and Enterprise to make it a true representation of the franchise; if the purpose was to show "essential" episodes to newcomers, best to give them a broad picture of everything available to them, surely? So I'd probably argue for "Caretaker" (VGR) and "Broken Bow" (ENT) because whilst the shows delivered better later, they're also the two strongest and most watchable series premieres in Star Trek history.

At this point, I'd written out all of the above before noticing the next page and @KALofKRYPTON responding with... wow, with some agreement, actually! Nice!

So yeah, I think the list missed the point like Lal misses balls.

Untitled

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger i also think part of the problem with STO is once you get to level 65 and done the story there is nothing to do, console players aint really known for sticking with games when there isn't anything left to do especially MMO's, for example one of the reasons FFXIV is still going so strong is because they keep updating with regularly with large, robust content which is something STO isn't doing, not only is it's content small but it also takes so long between releases that most don't care when it comes around ESPECIALLY when it's a month or 2 behind the P.C version

i LOVE Star Trek and when it comes to it i can look past some flaws (plot elements, actors, incontinuities) and i can even enjoy the games even if they are only average (Star Trek on PS3/360 for example) but when you have a MMO with nothing to do, even a Trek one eventually your just going to stop playing it

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger Ha!

Would you look at that!

I really do love 'City on the Edge of Forever' (mostly because Joan Collins), but as I say - it's better as an example of a sci-fi parable than particularly representative of Star Trek.

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo @RogerRoger
As for STO - the general clunk of the engine ultimately put me off - Also knowing full well that the PC experience could be so very much better than what I had probably had a hand in it too.

I forgive Star Trek games a lot as it is! Who doesn't love Encounters?!

Edited on by KALofKRYPTON

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON @RogerRoger i actually enjoyed Encounters, it wasn't great but i still got fun out of it, plus it covered all 5 shows

Legacy was a better game though plus it's ship combat is very similar to STO

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo Yeah - Legacy didn't come to the PS2 sadly

There have been some pretty good PC mods for it over the years. There's a YouTube guy who still uploads combat videos!

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON i had it on 360, i would still be playing it today if it wasn't for the fact my 360 died but i remember it was loads of fun

RogerRoger

@Fullbringlchigo

FullbringIchigo wrote:

@RogerRoger i also think part of the problem with STO is once you get to level 65 and done the story there is nothing to do, console players aint really known for sticking with games when there isn't anything left to do especially MMO's, for example one of the reasons FFXIV is still going so strong is because they keep updating with regularly with large, robust content which is something STO isn't doing, not only is it's content small but it also takes so long between releases that most don't care when it comes around ESPECIALLY when it's a month or 2 behind the P.C version

i LOVE Star Trek and when it comes to it i can look past some flaws (plot elements, actors, incontinuities) and i can even enjoy the games even if they are only average (Star Trek on PS3/360 for example) but when you have a MMO with nothing to do, even a Trek one eventually your just going to stop playing it

Quoted for truth. It's a real shame but at this point, I think of STO as a Trek-themed dress-up simulator, where I basically switch out my uniform and walk around the interiors of my favourite ships for half an hour or so, when I've had a stressful day and need to escape.

Sometimes I'll randomly remember story missions from when I played them at launch and think "oh yeah, that was a thing" but they're vague memories at best. I never even finished them all.

And bringing in @KALofKRYPTON for this one, but I remember seeing once that somebody had applied mods to Star Trek Legacy on PC, to make all the sound effects show-authentic (that unique, bass-filled impact sound whenever the Enterprise-D was hit with weapons fire, for example) and added in extra voice clips from all the show's cast members (so that when somebody like Janeway called for evasive manoeuvres, Tom Paris would say "yes ma'am" rather than the generic helmswoman they had on every ship). I think they even swapped out the music for some of the official soundtrack. I watched it, thought it was the most comprehensive and awesome Trek game I'd ever seen, and then promptly lost the link. I've never been able to find it since.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger my brother actually gave me his old 360 so i can actually play Legacy again, it's been great fun being able to play it

i started again though because i can't find my 360 HDD transfer cable and the one he gave me was a Slim while my broken one was an Elite

FullbringIchigo

so on my current Star Trek rewatch and i just watched TOS S2E13 Obsession & the reason for the time limit is they had to pick up medical supplies from the Yorktown to deliver to Theta VII but the Yorktown is also a Constitution class so why did the Enterprise need to take it? the Yorktown could do it itself, speed can't be the reason as both ships are the same class and thus are as fast as each other, IN FACT it would be more efficient for the Yorktown to do it as it would get there quicker because it wouldn't have to stop and transfer the supplies to the Enterprise

so yeah it makes NO sense at all

FullbringIchigo

So it's Bank Holiday Monday in the UK today so i'm having a Star Trek day, going to start off by playing this
Untitled

then i'll carry on with my TOS rewatch, Wolf in the Fold
Untitled

FullbringIchigo

OH and this looks terrible
Untitled

whoever sign off on these want their eyes testing

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo Christ!! Context man!

I wondered what that was!

Just a jacket... =O

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON yeah just a jacket people can buy

it looks terrible almost as if it's unfinished

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic