Forums

Topic: Ten Forward - The Star Trek Topic

Posts 321 to 340 of 2,292

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Oh, please don't go to any effort on account of my random musings; was just a thought about how frustrated it would've made me if it were the case at launch, when I was even less-comfortable with the idea of playing an MMORPG to begin with anyway!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger i guess, it would mean having to get XBL Gold after all because MS has locked ALL multiplayer behind it, even free to play games

the greedy *****

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger @FullbringIchigo

I've heard their recordings previously, but this is rather lovely:

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Nice; they even did The Voyage Home and Generations.

And even though I adore the Voyager theme, I still reckon the very best, most beautiful piece of music ever composed for Star Trek is heard during the opening credits of First Contact; this concert just reinforced that for me. Goosebumps!

Thanks for sharing!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger It was my viewing/listening from last night.

Very enjoyable. Shame that they didn't include anything from Undiscovered Country, but they've recorded that before.
The ending was unexpected too

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON that was awesome, i love Trek music thanks for the share

@RogerRoger me too that is my absolute fave piece of Trek music

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

FullbringIchigo

so a trailer for the next Star Trek Short Treks was released

to be honest the idea of these is pretty good, shame you can't watch them outside of the U.S

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Hnng... I really hope we get them at some point, as that actually looks pretty interesting and unique. Since the Kelpians are new, I could get behind watching more about them.

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger me too. i'm still hoping that once all 4 are released that Netflix will put them up or at least when Season 2 starts as Netflix likes to buy in bulk and not episode by episode

FullbringIchigo

some News on the Captain Picard series (no news on other regions getting it yet though

Untitled
Earlier today at UBS’ annual Global Media and Communications Conference, CBS’s new Chief Creative Officer David Nivens spoke about the state of CBS’s various businesses, including All Access and its upcoming Star Trek projects.

Confident in All Access – Trek a cornerstone of the service
Stating that programming on the platform will be “much more robust” in 2019, Nevins spoke specifically about Trek, saying that Discovery‘s upcoming second season is “in a great place” and that there is a great deal of anticipation for Patrick Stewart’s still untitled upcoming Picard series.

Picard by end of 2019
There has been little information about the series since New York Comic Con, when Alex Kurtzman mentioned that writing had begun and production would commence in April 2019. Today, Nevins indicated that we won’t have to wait too long for the return of Jean-Luc Picard:

“There is huge anticipation for Picard [the new show]. That will [premiere] at the end of the year [2019].”

More Short Treks too
At NYCC, executive producers Alex Kurtzman and Heather Kadin implied that Short Treks may be an ongoing series of mini-episodes to help tide fans over between the full seasons of Trek, which take a long time to deliver.

Nevins today confirmed that, yes, there will be more Short Treks coming, saying: “…we’re doing these Star Trek short films in between” when he discussed the time period between Discovery season two and the Picard series.

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Nice, thanks for the heads-up!

This time next year, we'll be watching and discussing new Jean-Luc Picard adventures... my inner ten-year-old is flipping out right now!

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

Anson Mount Reveals ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ Season 2 Has Been Extended To 14 Episodes

Untitled

The new Captain Pike, Anson Mount, is visiting the official Star Trek: The Original Series Set Tour, in Ticonderoga, NY this weekend. During his Q&A this afternoon, TrekCore has reported that Mount announced to the crowd that season 2 of Star Trek: Discovery has been expanded to include an additional episode.

Extending the season to 14 episodes is not entirely surprising. Shortly before production began in April TrekMovie first reported that season two was planned to run 13 episodes, however, three months later one of the reasons cited for the dismissal of showrunners Gretchen Berg and Aaron Harberts was “leadership and operational issues” which included overruns, both in budget and timeliness. Over the summer it became clear the production was running behind, which is likely the reason why Jonathan Frakes ended up directing the ninth episode instead of the tenth, as originally planned.

Production on the second season was originally set to wrap in early November, however it has continued, picking up again after the (USA) Thanksgiving holiday and the local Toronto TV and film production union website confirmed Discovery (under the codename “Green Harvest”) has been extended by nearly a month, to December 21. With the schedule slippage, CBS already needed to extend their time at Pinewood Studios, so tacking on another episode would allow CBS to amortize the cost of production over more episodes. Discovery season 1 was expanded mid-production by two episodes for similar reasons.

Untitled

More from Mount in Ticonderoga

Mount also shared some new tidbits. Including the surprising anecdote that he had been in the running to play Gabriel Lorca in Season 1.

A central theme to season 2 will be the mentoring relationship of Pike and Burnham.

Mount also praised Jonathan Frakes, saying meeting him was his “geekiest moment” on set.

Writers promise answers about Saru and Kelpiens following “The Brightest Star”

This week’s episode of Star Trek: Short Treks gave us Saru’s backstory with lots of new information about him and the Kelpiens, but it also raised a number of questions, as noted in TrekMovie’s review. Fans have also been talking about these questions on social media and the writers have made it clear they are aware, and also are promising answers. Co-writer Bo Yeon Kim assured fans that these questions “will not go unanswered” and the official Star Trek: Discovery writers’ room account promised they will be “answered in time.”

It is likely these answers are coming in an upcoming episode of the second season of Discovery which will revisit Kaminar. In an interview with TrekMovie at NYCC Saru actor Doug Jones said that “The Brightest Star” had “breadcrumbs that you’ll find in season 2” noting that there was a “direct tie with hints” between that full season two episode and the Short Treks mini-episode (which wont help for all those places that DONT have the damn things).

In an interview with Syfy, Kim also offered some insight into Saru’s thought process following leaving his homeworld and showing why it is such a big deal for him to return in Discovery season two, saying:

“In the first few years of joining Starfleet, Saru had always intended on learning everything he could and returning to Kaminar to help his people,” Kim says. “But over the years, he realized that the Prime Directive exists for a reason, and breaking it would bring about serious repercussions, not just to his Starfleet career but to his people. So that is the weight of Saru’s burden."

Speaking of “The Brightest Star,” Kim’s writing partner Erika Lippoldt also shared two fun behind-the-scenes photos from the location shoot. One featuring Doug Jones and his Kelpien co-stars Hannah Spear and Robert Verlaque

Original article on TrekMovie and is avalible here https://trekmovie.com/2018/12/08/anson-mount-reveals-star-tre...

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo I'll reply to your Star Trek story post here, so as not to derail the other topic.

Sounds like a really great idea! I often wonder about Worf's time in command of the Typhon. I loved that game as a kid (and still do) and think there'd be some great stories to tell about that ship and crew, given that it's basically a flying fortress under the command of a great warrior... kinda un-Trek in a lot of basic ways, but actually quite in-keeping with the spirit of the Federation in others.

My current project is an entirely original crew (because I need to practice my character development skills) aboard an Intrepid-Class starship, which is given an assignment to observe pre-warp civilisations in a new area of space close to the Romulan Neutral Zone. There are scientists aboard (remember those arrogant jerk scientists who'd pop up on TNG every other week? Imagine fifty of them as regulars) and so there's a lot of culture clash going on, as well as political intrigue with the Romulans. It just gives me the chance to try writing new things in an episodic structure; maybe one story will be romantic, and then the next is just one long fight sequence. Means I can (hopefully) hone my skills without having to worry too much about the details, because I know the Trek details like the back of my hand.

When it's all done and I've gotten what I need from the project, I might post it online somewhere. I've done that before, many moons ago, and people seemed to like it.

Have you ever thought about sharing your own work?

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger as your near the Romulan Neutral Zone did you think about making it a joint mission between the Federation and the Romulan Star Empire and making one of those arrogant scientists a Romulan too, working on a Starfleet vessel with a temporary Starfleet commission?

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo No, but it's awesome to be creative like this.

My story takes place concurrently with Voyager, aboard kinda her sister ship (or one of her sister ships at any rate) so to begin with, the Romulans are still nefarious enemies and are showing up in that capacity, to interfere and be sneaky about doing so. The Dominion War will obviously be starting and maybe concluding during my story, in the background, so I've toyed with the idea of future stories dealing with the "my enemy is now my friend" themes, which'll help me write my actual book.

I'm using one-shot TNG Romulan characters (Mendak, Taibak, Toreth) and fleshing them out as recurring villains. I like giving people layers. That's been fun.

In my previous Star Trek writings, I had a Vulcan CMO who was revealed to be a Romulan Tal'Shiar sleeper agent halfway through. It's always tempting because of the shock twist value, but I'm deliberately gonna avoid writing the same thing twice.

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger yeah that sounds like a good idea and using some known but unused characters is a good idea too, gives a connection to the source material without having it seem like fan service (looking at you Discovery)

FullbringIchigo

a new trailer for Star Trek Discovery Season 2 dropped and honestly it's looking a LOT better than season 1 was

what are your thoughts?

FullbringIchigo

DID you know, the Enterprise E could separate it's saucer?, the original designer of the Enterprise E has shared his design of the ship after separation

Untitled

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo That trailer does look pretty engaging (if you'll pardon the pun). I managed to suppress my inner nerd voices, which were screaming at me throughout; if I can do the same when I actually watch the show, I'm sure it'll be a lot of spectacular fun.

And yeah, I'd seen some very rough concept art from Insurrection, I think, where they'd toyed with the idea of separating the saucer as part of a bigger battle with the Son'a (the intention being that the "Riker Manoeuvre" would be a mirror of his tactics from when he was captain of the Enterprise-D fighting against Locutus) but the budget got in the way. It's nice that they've fleshed it out and given us a better look, but it was always there in some form, because the LCARS MSD on the bridge in First Contact has a very deliberate line through the "neck" of the ship, which is where the break would occur.

Lovely image; thanks for sharing!

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger i would love to have seen it separate in Insurrection or Nemesis, shame it never happened

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic