Forums

Topic: Ten Forward - The Star Trek Topic

Posts 2,081 to 2,100 of 2,292

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny Lenny cosplaying Seven of Nine is the icing on the cake!

Hey, speaking of embarrassing abbreviations (and since we're in the Star Trek topic), there was some amusement back when Discovery was announced. Paramount CBS had to issue a formal statement confirming that the "proper" shorthand for the show would be "DIS" and not the unfortunate alternative. Needless to say, many dissenting voices still refer to it as STD.

No worries, and hope you're enjoying your classic comedy films!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger thought I'd tag you but you've probably already seen this pic of "Janeway" from that new Star Trek prodigy show. She's got her signature cup of coffee!

Untitled

See ya!

nessisonett

Really cool that Q is coming back for Picard season 2 as well. I quite liked the first season outside of it going a little bit off the rails at the end.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny Thank you! Been having a bit of a Trekkie week myself, so this is a really cool tag! She looks fantastic; they've really captured Kate Mulgrew perfectly there!

@nessisonett I've just finished re-watching Picard on Blu-Ray. Works much better when you binge it. I found it frustrating as a weekly show, but came away earlier with much more positive thoughts and hopes for the second season (although you're right, the penultimate episode is criminally rushed, and was my least favourite as a result... and I still can't stand how they treated the XBs).

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger no problem! 👍 I think I am going to have to cave and just watch Picard soon. Extended absences from my partner mean that our overall trek marathon is taking a longer break so it'll be years before I get there naturally. I'll just quietly watch it on my own!

See ya!

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny Careful; I've only ever made that mistake once! I'd seek authorisation if I were you!

Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger I have checked now based on your advice lol, all good 😅! Didn't you get done dirty recently with ten episodes of X files?!

See ya!

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny Oh yeah, but that's only because I watched the entire second season of Star Trek: Discovery a couple years ago on the basis of a vague joke.

There was a satirical chart drawn in Private Eye recently entitled "Biggest Challenges in a Relationship" or something similar, and it was 10% marriage, 15% children and 75% pretending you hadn't seen the latest episode of a television show yet.

Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger haha so true, we still haven't gotten over the bitter pill of the final season of Peep show and it has remained unwatched...one day we will hopefully forget our television infidelity and watch it though, I am sure!

See ya!

nessisonett

@ralphdibny That happened to me the first time watching Peep Show too. I was so upset about it ending that I took about half a year to get round to seeing it through. It’s a perfect ending though!

ralphdibny

@nessisonett ahh I do that too for shows. I tend to watch them now though but I have a few moments where I'm about to burst into tears because it's the end. Finally got around to finishing runaways and cloak and dagger over the Easter break and felt that in droves

See ya!

nessisonett

@ralphdibny I’m still mourning the loss of those shows. There’s definitely a place for them in the MCU but they seem to be trimming the other shows so that we can have everything the exact same flavour.

ralphdibny

@nessisonett yeah it's a big shame that they shuttered Marvel Television in favour of Marvel Studios doing TV shows. Would have been nice to have both I think but oh well, maybe some characters will make a reappearance here and there!

See ya!

RogerRoger

Sorry to drag this topic back from the depths, but my inner nerd couldn't help but capture this wonderful coincidence when I just happened to boot up my PS4 this evening.

Untitled

Given how frequently they push out patches, I thought it was worth preserving.

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger Surely they have to do something special for that patch number!

RogerRoger

@nessisonett Alas, I just checked the patch notes. It's just a fix for a specific crashing bug. At which point, my inner monologue immediately connected the word "crashing" with Deanna's driving skills so yeah, if it were me, I'd have at least put that joke in there somewhere!

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@RogerRoger Awww, that’s a shame they didn’t put a little effort into it!

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger definitely worth commemorating!

Do you play star Trek online? I had a bit of a go in it in the past, a good while ago. I played as a gorn in the Klingon empire. I got as far as meeting an adult Alexander Roschenko before deciding it might not be for me. I've never really played an MMO before and it all seemed a bit confusing!

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny When it first came to consoles, I jumped on it and spent ages running through its single player story content (which is insanely extensive for a free-to-play game). Like you, I'd never played an MMORPG before, so I ignored a lot of what was going on around me and just treated it like a ropey old action game. The story never really grabbed me, and I struggled with its ancient, clunky interface, so I'd often skip through dialogue anyway. After about a month, I got stuck on a glitched mission, so stopped making story progress and instead let it become my kinda chill game. After stressful days, I'd log in, walk about my starship, dress up in different uniforms, write new backgrounds for my character and fly about, exploring... that sort of thing. Just mindless escapism into a fictional world with no defined endgame.

I ended up sinking some money into its loot box system, in order to get specific ships I wanted (only to gawp at and screencap from every angle) and that, combined with the fact that my profile was neat and tidy, attracted attention from the PvP and PvE crowd, and the players who run Fleets, so I'd get invites from strangers every time I approached Spacedock. Once or twice I got curious enough to try all of that stuff, but I'd always immediately fail, because my "canon" weapon, shield and hull loadouts were weak.

So, whilst I do technically play Star Trek Online, I don't really "play" it, if you catch my meaning.

If I need to, I'll still occasionally go for a wander and soak up the atmosphere, because I still find it calming and distracting. I keep meaning to give the story another shot, see if I can pay attention to it this time. If you think playing with a buddy might help, let me know... although I'm not a Klingon, so I'm not sure we'd be able to run through a lot of the early story together.

Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger yeah could give that go! I've been meaning to ask you to play a game for a while, I was probably going to suggest Battlefront 2 when I eventually get around to it but Im still quite early on in my overall star Wars marathon so probably wouldn't be able to for a while. Couldn't think of what else to suggest really to be honest!

I don't mind starting a new character on STO. Not sure how it all works anyway or if you'd be able to repeat early game stuff. But yeah, duno how it'd fit in with your busy life/game schedule or even mine but I'm up for something if you are game! Or maybe I could just log on and pop over to your ship. I'm sure my scaly Gorn body will shock all of your well-to-do Federation shipmates 😂. But yeah, I've got no idea how that all works. I haven't played it in years and it was a bit of a mystery back then anyway!

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic