Forums

Topic: Ten Forward - The Star Trek Topic

Posts 2,001 to 2,020 of 2,060

FullbringIchigo

@LN78 like Kal said it will probably be on E4 at some point anyway

"Don't try to be a great man just be a man and let history make it's own judgments"

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

KALofKRYPTON

I watched the last episode of Picard. It is certainly... The last episode of Picard 🤷🏽‍♂️

Nothing particularly spoilery follows.

There's one brief exchange between two characters that sums up the episode, and indeed this series in general:

• "What's happening?"
  • "Nothing that makes any sense."

If you watch it. Prepare to be both underwhelmed and unsurprised in equal measure.

The expected highlight of actually seeing Starfleet ships is given such dismissive treatment that they really needn't have bothered. The appearance of the ships is fleeting and obscured - they largely appear to be STO riffs. It's hard to pinpoint, but there are perhaps 4 different designs shown, but again - it's rather hard to tell.

The episode on the whole passes much like the bulk of the last couple of seasons of Doctor Who; confused pacing, muted payoffs, bits of fan service and the final confrontation largely wrapped up in a couple of minutes.

There are also a couple of attempts at closing character arcs here that never really got moving, and the macguffins and themes of the show, as well as very specific bits of reasoning and highlighted technologies are thrown away for the sake of the narrative. There are also couple of hilariously stinking ideas in this episode.

Picard wasn't very good Star Trek, but before we got going - I never expected it to be Star Trek at all. It is better than Discovery, but it's mostly just a bit of a crap use of TNG characters.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Thanks for the spoiler-free thoughts. I'm thinking of catching up with its last three episodes this weekend, but my motivation to see it through has been steadily draining as the weeks have gone by. To be blunt, there are other, better uses of my time right now.

Armed with the above, I'll weigh its importance accordingly and see how it goes.

PSN ID: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger The ending should've left me raging... But I find that mostly I just don't care.

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

FullbringIchigo

in other news (and something that should make @RogerRoger happy) Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy is out on PS4

"Don't try to be a great man just be a man and let history make it's own judgments"

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

LN78

@KALofKRYPTON Thanks for posting your thoughts. My attitude has just gone from "catch up when you have a spare afternoon" to "couldn't care less".

LN78

KALofKRYPTON

@LN78 It definitely peaked with 'At Home With The Rikers'.

This episode alone though 🙄 There's a macguffin they use for a couple of things that is lazier than the entirety of the Rise Of Skywalker, that makes me think that whoever their Mike Okuda is, just wasn't around to help with the script.

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Sweet, thanks for the tag! That might change what I'd planned on playing next week, but I also might give it some time and see what people say about the quality of the port.

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger it's also on Switch if you have one of those

and the original XBOX version is playable on XB1 via BC

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger Oh and Episode 1 racer is also getting a release in the future

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Okay, seriously pumped for Episode I Racer, that's gonna be awesome on console! Thanks again for the heads-up!

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON i never take any notice of critics, they are about as necessary as a stripes on a road car but i can see why people might not have liked the ending, personally i thought it was fine and certainly not the worse the franchise has done for a season ending (looking at you shades of grey)

on a side note what did you think about Picard now being an android personally i think they missed the opportunity to recast the part, this was a perfect time for it and as much as Stewart IS Picard he is getting old now but recasting a younger actor would have allowed them to use the character for years to come

also even it was only for a little i really enjoyed seeing Riker on the bridge of a Starship and in command even if it wasn't the Titan

oh and to answer one of your earlier questions the reason the ships look the same is because they were apparently all the same class of ship (according to what Riker said anyway), not sure why Starfleet would only build one class in such bulk, there has to be a story there somewhere

also anyone have any idea what happened to Narek, he just vanished at the end of the episode

Edited on by FullbringIchigo

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo They're often worth a read, but certainly not to use as singular sources. The article is pretty general about the series, rather than being specifically about the finale. Typical Star Trek season endings aren't the culmination of 9 previous hours of a serialised story.

Spoiler bit below

The finale was bad, but only really as bad as the rest of the season. The ending should have been shocking, but despite having not been what I expected - it was utterly unsurprising. Also unsurprising is the use of the golem and the consciousness transfer being used, despite it already having been done to Data in TNG, and of course, that the androids have had Data's mind and memories up until just before death just running in a simulation, and never just built him a new body... Picard becoming an android is a lazy and cheap cop-out. They get to cash in on the 'emotional impact' of Picard's death while making it an utterly consequence-less event. Even to the point of mumbling out some 'you'll still get old and die' BS The writing has never been stellar, but it was really quite crap for the finale, as was the pace, editing and structure of the episode. I'd say the Romulans fell worse for that, not sure I've seen an attempted planetary bombardment directed with the cadence of a Van Damme round-house kick before

Anyway, thankfully there's still Trek out there that I love, this just isn't it.

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON like i said the perfect time to recast, if they did the emotional impact would have stuck because even though Picard would still be there it wouldn't be the original Picard, it would have been a new person with all of Picards memories and experiences, kinda like when the Doctor Regenerates, the same but not the same you know

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo Let's be honest, Stewart's involvement is what got the show the green light. Him and the guest stars are the only things making the thing worth watching. I doubt very much Amazon would be willing to stump up cash for a second season without him.

FullbringIchigo

i'll give Doug Jones his due, he is a great character actor and unlike a lot of the Discovery cast genuinely seems to care about the fans and is willing to answer them

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON you're probably right

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo I don't mind DJ. It is good to answer a direct question like that.

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic