Forums

Topic: Ten Forward - The Star Trek Topic

Posts 1,541 to 1,560 of 2,292

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger @SteveKaye a Star Trek game done in the vein of the Mass Effect games would be amazing, lets us create a Captain (in the same way we could make out own Shepard) give us a ship (preferably a class we all know but isn't used much like a Steamrunner class or something) and let us explore strange new worlds, meet new civilisations and save the Federation from a powerful enemy by being "diplomatic" with a Phaser

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

FullbringIchigo

On a different note, the second Episode of Picard released in the U.S today and will release in the UK tomorrow and once again i will be watching it tomorrow morning and i'll leave my thoughts here afterwards (don't worry i'll try to avoid posting spoilers but if i need too i'll post it in a spoiler tag)

anyone looking forward to Episode 2?

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

RogerRoger

@SteveKaye Similar stories indeed; my best friend is a huge BioWare fan, and convinced me to play the Mass Effect trilogy a few years back. After a couple hours, I was already saying to her "By the way, you've gotta watch Star Trek at some point!" and then I reached the scene in Mass Effect 2, where Shepard identifies a drink as "green", and nearly fell off my chair. She's now a (selective) Trekkie, by the way, so I hope you can say the same about your friend someday!

And whilst here, @FullbringIchigo is absolutely right. That dream Star Trek game I spoke of would basically be a mash-up of Voyager and Mass Effect. You'd be aboard a mid-sized starship, flung across the galaxy and tasked with getting home. You'd have to chart a course across various sectors of space, meeting alien races as you go and deciding whether to help them or not. Your impact upon them would be measured. Make friends with one race, and their neighbours might not like you if they're at war, giving you a hard time as you try and continue your journey (meaning that, whilst it's all story-driven and somewhat linear, multiple playthroughs could yield vastly different results). Lose crew, find new crew, wrestle with moral choices and then discover that, when you do get home, that time you decided to break the Prime Directive results in your court martial.

Anyway, enough dreaming...

It's great that Paramount and Activision had such a close working relationship, at least in the beginning. I think those early examples, Invasion and Elite Force, really saw it pay off. I remember Invasion getting a 9/10 in the Official UK PlayStation Magazine and being quite proud that I liked something so good (hey, I was twelve). Immediately went on the Christmas list.

Ah, it was the Captain Proton level which had me keen to revisit Elite Force but you're right, Virtual Voyager is a heck of a lot of fun! Having only played the PS2 version before, I'd never suffered the lack of Jeri Ryan, but I looked up her original soundalike on YouTube and now feel guilty about using the word "soundalike" as she sounds... well, nothing alike! That's what always impressed me about the Star Trek games of that era, with that one (later corrected) exception. Characters wouldn't show up unless they were properly voiced. Picard was always Patrick Stewart, Janeway was always Kate Mulgrew, Data was always Brent Spiner, etc. and it just added to the authenticity. Compare that to Star Wars or Bond, who only seemed to wrangle their stars for special occasions, and it helped immeasurably. It wasn't a proper mission in Invasion if you didn't hear Michael Dorn bark "Pilots!" beforehand.

Thanks for the recommendation to check out Elite Force II, even moreso that you've proven yourself a man of good taste by championing Insurrection and its note-perfect score! And you're right, there's always hope somewhere down the line. EA haven't just saved the Star Wars licence with Jedi: Fallen Order, they've also rescued Battlefront II from its terrible launch and transformed it into an incredible experience, proving that time and player interest can work miracles. I'll lock my pessimistic realist back up in his cage, and keep a couple fingers crossed.

Sorry, I tend to ramble. Thanks for replying to my reply, and thanks again for the great read!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo I'll be watching Picard tomorrow evening, or Saturday morning depending. After that first episode, I'm all aboard weekly now, and very much looking forward to it, yes!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

Really need to get round to watching Picard’s first episode, just waiting on my mum to have an hour free!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

HallowMoonshadow

I'm not quite sure why I was tagged here in this Star Trek discussion in particular (I guess it was to say this is about general Sci-Fi too but even then I'm not the biggest Sci-Fi person)

I've not really mentioned Trek before... because... I've actually not seen any at all.

Well... I've seen the Abrams movies. That's it.

I'll leave now lol 😂

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

SteveKaye

@FullbringIchigo Mass Effect would be the perfect template for a Trek game. Let's face it, it's like 80% of the way there already lol. I'm really looking forward to episode 2 of Picard tomorrow! I thought the first was really good. Really looking forward to seeing where they take it.

SteveKaye

JohnnyShoulder

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Ha ha that is funny! You got stealth tagged! 😂

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

SteveKaye

@RogerRoger Not rambling at all, I love a good Trek chat! I'd almost forgotten about Elite Force's Captain Proton level! I think I might need to do a complete Voyager rewatch soon... it's been over 10 years...

And you're absolutely right about the cast members in the Trek games. It always blew my mind, especially in Activision's titles, how many of them would show up, and properly voiced. Elite Force had essentially the entire main cast! As I mention in the piece, with video game voice acting, character models and motion capture reaching new heights as of late, I would love to see these actors and actresses surrounded by other great voice actors in new games. If EA can keep up the new found standard of Star Wars games for the remainder of their time with the license, hopefully it will inspire a publisher to do the same with the Star Trek one. I live in hope!

Thank you once more for reading my piece and taking the time to chat!

SteveKaye

nessisonett

Thought Picard was rather good. As first episodes go, it drew from the old and set up plot points for the future. Excited to see where it goes.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

RogerRoger

@SteveKaye Not at all; we could always use another Trekkie around here, so feel free to keep stopping by and sparking such discussion!

And since I try to re-watch Voyager every three-ish years, to leave it over a decade, well...

Untitled

As the good captain herself would say, "Do it!"

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@LN78 as far as stories go, a coin toss and/or scheduling probably

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

RogerRoger

@LN78 Yeah, and all the others... "Tom and Harry need a Dick between them!" and suchforth...

Hello, by the way! Am just catching up with the non-tagged replies and saw you'd popped back up yesterday; hope you've been well of late. Despite being a fan of the TNG films, I do have to agree with you, in that "All Good Things..." (TNG) is a timeless blueprint for the perfect way to end a show. I prefer it to Generations, which was written and produced immediately afterwards.

Fingers crossed that Picard doesn't go the way of the rumours, and that it actually holds up as it continues. I'd be interested to hear what you make of it.

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@LN78 Me neither, if I'm honest. We'd likely disagree immediately afterwards, but "All Good Things..." (TNG) is an absolute blinder, perfect in almost every way. I'm always encouraged that it sits near the top of many people's lists, whether on nerd sites or more general entertainment channels.

That extended "The Measure of a Man" (TNG) cut is a genuine treat, although I totally see why the scene in which Maddox crashes Data's farewell party got cut. It erodes the nuance of his character and turns him into a moustache-twirling villain, which does the overall story a genuine disservice. For all his arrogance and dislikeable traits, his motivation isn't necessarily wrong. It's perfect courtroom stuff, and perfect Star Trek, from beginning to end. My joint-favourite episode of TNG, alongside the aforementioned finale.

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@SteveKaye Janeway reaction GIFs never fail. Enjoy!

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@LN78 Apologies; old habit. It's the format from the encyclopedia, and with so many episode titles across so many shows, it helps me keep a mental track. I think I must've had a confusing conversation with somebody on a Trekkie forum once, so I started using them and they just stuck. Please don't think I put them in because I thought you needed them! I'll try and be more context-sensitive in future.

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@LN78 Nothing as yet, although it does essentially pick up directly from Star Trek Nemesis, but a re-watch is hardly necessary as exposition covers that well enough. With the knowledge that Hugh is returning, I'd maybe recommend "I, Borg" and possibly "Descent" at some point, but we don't know how much of his backstory will be referenced and / or continued. He'll probably be connected with Seven's role quite a bit.

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@LN78 Well, those are just because we know Hugh is coming back. Not sure how the wider Borg storyline will play into things; we certainly haven't seen Picard wrestle with his assimilation issues (yet) and it was barely present in the first episode. It seems like there'll be a 50/50 split between dealing with the Borg (as part of a wider comment on artificial life in general, including Data) and dealing with Romulan culture, but it's too early to say for certain. The focus remains on Picard himself, and his role in things.

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@LN78 do you not know anyone else who has it, for example i don't but my brother does so i just use his

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic