Forums

Topic: Ten Forward - The Star Trek Topic

Posts 1,301 to 1,320 of 2,292

FullbringIchigo

@LN78 yep, what was wrong with people just enjoying a film and letting others do the same

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo
A lot of stuff gets conflated and out-right made up too though. again, I think huge parts of the ire that gets directed from fans to other fans is stirred up by the marketing, film makers and entertainment media.

I don' really care about fans disagreeing with other fans. I quite like it, a different take can on occasion resonate and someone may also have spent more time dissecting something that I've seen and 'thrown away'.

I really only draw the line at attacking actors personally - they're doing a job, and most of the time as they're told.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON true that is ridiculous, take Kelly Marie Tran, was Rose a good character, not really but she no way deserved death threats

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo
Rose was a crap character shoehorned in to a crap story thread.
A lot of the issue again I think, is how Rian Johnson and the marketers presented her as some sort of noble achievement.

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON i know but that doesn't mean she should get death threats does it

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo Not at all.

RogerRoger

The flack against Kelly Marie Tran was something I unfortunately saw coming. I thought it was really heartwarming when Hayden Christensen sent her a supportive message, and equally telling that all this closely followed Ahmed Best bravely stepping forward to correct misinterpretations and talk openly about his experiences as a target of irrational hatred.

Unfortunately, this is always going to be an issue with such long-running franchises, simply because they're generational; they're made for different audiences at different times, despite carrying the same name. People still argue over who the best James Bond actor is. For every well-documented panic about Michael Keaton's casting as Bruce Wayne, there was also criticism of the dark direction Batman took in 1989, going against Adam West's established 60s pop culture icon. And yes, going back even further than the recent Kelvin Timeline and Discovery divisions, you can still find people who argue that Star Trek: The Next Generation isn't "proper" Star Trek, and that Kirk would totally kick Picard's butt.

All of these things, as well as Star Wars, mean everything to me. I read about them, write about them, watch them, play them, pen my own stories within them, and I'm constantly humming their music. I have spent the GDP of a small island nation on their merchandise, and will likely continue to do so, shelf space be damned. They're often my waking thought (don't tell my partner) and I get equal parts excited and anxious whenever new elements of them are released.

But for goodness sake, they're just things. People like different things. Those who would use them as an excuse to attack others are unfortunately demonstrating some of the worst traits of humanity (our species has fought wars over religion, land, money, ideology, politics... so why not entertainment?) and are best avoided, if rational conversation proves difficult.

My opinions are often noted as "unique" and that's totally cool; ask me why I think certain things, let's have a debate. Just don't make it personal. The reason I stick purely to PushSquare nowadays is because I used to be elsewhere on the internet and... well, it's simply getting worse.

In other words? This new Picard show better be flawless, or there's gonna be one heck of a mess.

Edited on by RogerRoger

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo I need shift on that clip. Watched it with no sound earlier as I was at work. And it looked fine, the dialogue though 🙄

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo I watched the clip again - I need to stop. The more I watch it the more it annoys me. WTF are those bikes?! Never mind the physical track instead of being repulsor powered, but what an incredibly specific function they have to give jet troopers - who already have jetpacks - a launch nudge...

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON it's not really that odd in Star Wars, there have been plenty of vehicles that have used wheels or legs for mobility, Jawa Sandcrawlers, AT-AT's, AT-TE's, TX-130T because Repulsor tech doesn't always work in every environment or terrain and are also susceptible to devices that can make them fail (think a Star Wars version of a EMP)

as for launching the Jet troopers well the jet tanks only have a limited fuel supply so the ability to get a trooper to a location quickly and allow them to get maximum height quickly while saving fuel and time is very efficient so i'm gonna say i think they are perfectly fine and i don't have an issue with them

FullbringIchigo

RogerRoger wrote:

In other words? This new Picard show better be flawless, or there's gonna be one heck of a mess.

let's be honest people are going to moan no matter what, it could be the greatest Trek series ever and some will moan about it

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo We're watching two repulsor powered skiffs being chased - not by a giant apc/tank - but guys on snowmobiles.
I doubt very much we're going to see much consideration of fuel supply in this scene, unless it's going to add some 'comedic' value.

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON thing is you're not looking at the bigger picture, these bikes wouldn't have been made just to chase a skiff on a desert planet somewhere (i know for the film they were but not in universe) they would have been made for something else and they are just being used here because as you know even in real life the military will use vehicles for things they wasn't originally meant for

you use what you have at hand, you don't always have the correct tool for the job so you improvise

FullbringIchigo

If anyone is wondering (or bothered) E4 has set it's date for the broadcast of Star Trek Discovery

December 15th 2019 and it's on at 8pm

will anyone be tuning in, OH and i should state UK TV ONLY

https://www.tvwise.co.uk/2019/11/e4-sets-premiere-date-for-st...

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo A distinct lack of a TV Licence makes this an impossibility for me, but thanks for the PSA all the same. It'll be interesting to see what the ratings are like!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo in the majority of contexts I agree. In plenty of sci fi and indeed, real life - the best designs have a genuine utility to them. These don't. The trooper launch looks like it was designed solely to be a toy feature.

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON well it is Disney after all

FullbringIchigo

so recently in America a Star Wars book was released called Secrets of the Jedi and it's basically a information book but told from Lukes point of view from either just after he reconnected to the Force in the Last Jedi or after he vanished, either way apparently it's a real interesting read

it even has a section on Midi-chlorians that should finally shut people up about them

anyway Amazon had a few preview pages up so i thought i would share them here

first is about some Light Side Force abilities
Untitled

second is about some of the Jedi Masters
Untitled

and third is about the events of the Last Jedi
Untitled

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger you might appreciate my previous post, i forgot to add the tag sorry

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo No worries, thanks! Had seen the book, but none of the pages before. I already have the Jedi Path, the Book of Sith and the Bounty Hunter Code (never finished that last one, probably should) and I gather they've released an Imperial Handbook in the same line, too.

I love stuff that's written as though it were in-universe. One of my favourite Star Trek books is Federation - The First 150 Years, which is basically a historical account of the period between Archer and Kirk. It has some cool preamble about Enterprise, covers the Romulan War and then gives a far more interesting version of Earth's early contact with the Klingons than Discovery ever portrayed. Well worth picking up if you're in to that sort of thing.

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic