Forums

Topic: Ten Forward - The Star Trek Topic

Posts 1,141 to 1,160 of 2,292

KALofKRYPTON

@LN78 There was a lot of nonsense about the 'Wisps' and all that stuff from his older scripts/treatments.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

FullbringIchigo

@LN78 @KALofKRYPTON you know what i find funny, you hear all the time how Empire and Return are the best of the franchise but strangely they are the only 2 of the original 6 movies Lucas had bugger all to do with in terms of direction and he even had help with the story too

and then look at The Clone Wars for many it is seen as some of the best Star Wars stories ever and he had nothing to do with that either

like i said i find it funny that he is labeled a genius when the best of Star Wars didn't even come from him

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

RogerRoger

KALofKRYPTON wrote:

I'm sure @RogerRoger will be pleased to see The Ghost though

Probably just as pleased as you are to see B-Wings!

At least the trend of Star Wars serving up excellent trailers has continued. The editing and sound design for the Battlefront II marketing machine is nigh-on perfect, and The Rise of Skywalker has now clouded my eyes with nostalgic tears three times with these beautiful works of mini-art.

Whether that has any actual bearing on the final film itself remains to be seen, but I'm hopeful. I have to be, because for a while there I was very anti-Star Wars in the wake of The Last Jedi (and missed out on Solo, a film I would've loved to have seen at the cinema) and didn't like being so. The fact that there's been a timeskip is my biggest positive, because I think The Last Jedi suffered most from being a "two hours later" direct sequel; both the original and prequel trilogies played out over many years, giving their characters a journey and some development as they progressed. I think we need to see Rey, Finn, Poe and Kylo do some evolving, even if only on the surface.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo George Lucas consulted on every episode of The Clone Wars, approved every major character decision, suggested every major plot twist and basically mentored Dave Filoni for his entire career at LucasFilm (which is why he was promoted in the backlash against The Last Jedi).

But your point about Empire and Jedi is well taken.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger hey i'm not saying Lucas didn't creat a great universe or that he didn't know what he was doing, just that when it came to directed and doing it solely by himself the content was never as good, he was always better when he was either producing, consulting or working with someone else

still when it comes to Clone Wars i think it's safe to say that Filoni deserves a lot of praise for the job he did there, i wish Disney had put him in charge after they brought Lucasfilm

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo That's fair, absolutely. I just wanted to note that George Lucas actually had a lot to do with The Clone Wars, after you'd suggested that he had nothing to do with them at all. It was all him working directly alongside Dave Filoni to expand the universe; he stated that Darth Maul was alive, that Anakin had an apprentice, that Jango Fett wasn't a Mandalorian, etc. and the scripts grew from there.

And it's why Rebels feels so right, because it's Filoni directly carrying on that legacy.

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger i loved Rebels, wasn't to keen on Resistance though

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Haven't even watched it, and don't really plan to. It isn't a Dave Filoni project (he'd moved on and was just broadly overseeing things by then) and the fact that it's only gonna last two seasons doesn't give me much hope in its point. It looks much more like the series Disney wanted to begin with; a disposable cartoon to sell toys from. It was Filoni who pushed for Rebels, which is a nice compromise between "goofy kids' adventure" and "weighty, multi-layered space opera", after Disney cancelled The Clone Wars for being too dark and mature for broadcast on DisneyXD.

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger
i'm glad Clone wars is getting another season on Disney+ and as the service is coming to the UK early next year hopefully the entire first season of the Mandalorian will be on there for me to binge watch

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Recently some folks got to see edited footage from The Mandalorian (which again, Filoni is heavily involved in) and had nothing but praise for it. I'm quite keen to see how it turns out.

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger me too, it's looking really good from what i have seen so far

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger I've always got time for a B-Wing!

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON With any luck, there'll be some decent B-Wing merchandise as a result. You might be able to get a cool model for your desk or something.

As you know, I was sorely disappointed with the Triple Force Friday merchandise reveals, but I'm hopeful that folks like LEGO will turn things around with a second wave. There should be a B-Wing (which we haven't had for ages), the Mandalorian's ship and the Stinger Mantis from Jedi Fallen Order, at the very least. Fingers crossed for the early 2020 wave.

To console myself, I found a large older set I'd always wanted and built it a couple days ago. I stuck on some Star Trek music whilst I did so and it made me wonder...

...why haven't we ever gotten LEGO Star Trek sets? Or better Star Trek toys, for that matter?

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger
A better selection of B-Wing stuff would be great! I had the 'just OK' LEGO set that stood upright from a few years back, but it took an unfortunate tumble out of a window 🙄

I've wondered about LEGO Star TREK before. I can only assume that LEGO either weren't happy to pay whatever the licensing fee was, as it would be all around easy money, or - (more likely I think) that Lucasarts stipulated that LEGO wouldn't pursue a Star Trek licence while making Star Wars sets and licensing Star Wars games.
It is a shame, the engineers at LEGO would be able to make some amazing sets out of Trek stuff.
I've come close to getting the Mega Bloks Enterprise a couple of times!

With the toys, recent Trek I guess speaks for itself, but I've always quite liked Diamond Select's output. Trek is probably fairly seen as a more mature show/franchise all around, so it's not surprising that it doesn't quite have the breadth of toy options that Star Wars has.

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Yikes! I tend to pick the stable LEGO sets for fear of similar, although some of the taller walkers and my Ultimate Collector Series Slave One do wobble a bit whenever I walk past. I won't ask how your B-Wing managed to take flight!

Apparently, the quality of Mega Bloks simply isn't as good as LEGO. I saw some reviews of the Enterprise which said that connections would randomly come loose and fall apart.

But LEGO could make a killing with some of the hero ships, or interior playsets. Every time I've seen one of the more esoteric LEGO Ideas sets become a reality (such as Doctor Who or Stranger Things) I've wondered why the Star Trek licence hasn't been pursued. I think you're right about LucasArts, or at least perhaps CBS / Paramount thinking "LEGO would never take us, they've got Star Wars, so let's go elsewhere" and then Mega Bloks get a knock at the door.

It was the old Playmates action figures I wound up reminiscing about. I think they got a bit too obscure for their own good. I remember going to a Star Trek exhibition as a kid for my birthday, and got so excited when my parents said I could pick three action figures from the gift shop. I ran in, hoping to get some of my favourite characters, but the best I could come away with? Captain Beverly Picard from "All Good Things..." (TNG), Sisko disguised as a Klingon (so basically a Klingon, then) and Christopher Pike from "The Cage" (TOS).

It's a shame because, in their heyday, they had quite a good range, even if they did look a bit chunky (which is why I don't have any nowadays). With today's technology, like the Art Asylum and Diamond Select lines as you say, they could be amazing.

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger an unfortunate accident involving ostentatious curtains 🙄🙄🙄

Yeah, the remarks about quality are what kept me away from the Mega Bloks Enterprise.

Ah... I never did like the Playmates toys much. I remember being quite excited to get an Enterprise D, but saw one out of the box somewhere and thought it looked awful 😂

RogerRoger

@KALofKRYPTON Ah. So it was curtains for the B-Wing, then.

The Playmates starships were okay for 90s toys but yeah, as soon as you reach a certain age / develop a critical view, they start to look a little wonky (particularly the Enterprise-D that could transform into the "All Good Things..." version; a clever idea, but both configurations were pretty weak).

I never had any; the Innerspace line was my jam. I had the Enterprise-D and a bunch of the smaller sets. They were super-deformed when all closed up and used as ships, but my ten-year-old self thought that they were a cut above the Star Wars Action Fleet equivalent because of their detailed interiors and versatility. I wish I still had them, if not for display then just for nostalgia.

Still got all my Star Trek Micro Machines, though.

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@RogerRoger BOOM BOOM!
Yes, it really was...

I was quite a picky kid with toys. If it was a vehicle from something and wasn't to my eye 'the same', then I didn't want it Probably saved my mom a lot of nagging for Transformers!

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger @KALofKRYPTON if i remember correctly the original licence went to Mega Bloks and the Kelvin licence went to KRE-O (owned by Hasbro) and the reason LEGO didn't pick either up is because as they were at the time separate then that would mean that LEGO would be helping a competing toy as just both having the name Star Trek on them would assume a connection and LEGO doesn't do that

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo That makes sense. JJ strikes again!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic