Forums

Topic: Ten Forward - The Star Trek Topic

Posts 1,061 to 1,080 of 2,292

FullbringIchigo

@LN78 i get that but how i see it is Trek is back on TV and if it can work there, where it has a chance of a much bigger audience then it could lead to more Trek in the future

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo Being brutally honest - I can't see why any kid (because let's be honest, adults who are even slightly interested in Start Trek very likely have the means to watch STD if they want to) would flick over to Discovery and be particularly interested. It's bog-standard stock current sci-fi. There's no wonder, no morality play, no interesting characters...

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

FullbringIchigo

@LN78 you also have to remember that CBS recently brought Viacom and Viacom already had connections with Channel 4, it's why when the Kelvinverse films ever showed up on TV it was on one of the C4 channels so it could just be convenience that did it, the connections were already in place after all

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON being on TV will still be a draw for a lot of people, most don't know about all the dumb online drama surrounding the show and if looking through the channels they see Star Trek: Discovery they may be more willing to give it a go than subbing to a streaming service they might have little to no interest in

plus there is also the regular income they will get for it being in syndication that they wouldn't get from a streaming service

Edited on by FullbringIchigo

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo I'd rather current Star Trek, Picard included, did fail. Sounds pretty mean spirited I know, but it's made in that spirit as nothing but a money making exercise to leverage a licence. And it shows, STD and Picard drip with the arrogance of the showrunners

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON perhaps although i have some hope for Picard

but who knows now CBS and Viacom have merged and they don't need to fight over a licence maybe it can improve and more care and effort will be taken

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo I don't think the 'alternate licence' is going anywhere soon. It's core to Secret Hideout's only reason for existing and having years on a contract with CBS for Trek.

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON i don't think it's core to their existence after all CBS are well know for using other production companies to make shows for them and besides Kurtzman set it up after he split from Orci and their co-owned K/O Paper Products production company (they made shows like Hawaii Five-0 for example) and was made even before they started working on Star Trek, they also work on Instinct and are doing a Van Helsing series

besides it's ViacomCBS that decide what licence things are made under not Secret Hideout, if VCBS came along and said "you have to make it under this licence" then that's what they have to do

FullbringIchigo

@LN78 it's hard to understand because of so much misinformation that is being spread around by clickbait article and uninformed Youtubers but that basics of it is that that after the CBS/Viacom split in 2005 the TV rights went with CBS and the films with Viacom, in order to merchandise new films Viacom needed a sub-licence from CBS which is what the Kelvinverse films were made under

you see the sub-licence isn't about what they can use in the films but what they can merchandise, (toys, games etc), so this lead the the "split" licence everyone is talking about now in order for CBS to to sell merch for Discovery in a way that Viacom wouldn't get any money from (which they would have if they used the original Licence) they created another sub-licence for Discovery (this is why people say it has to be 25% different) but then nobody wanted the merch rights because they didn't believe it would sell so in essence CBS shot themselves in the foot because they didn't want to give Viacom any money (the head of CBS at the time refused to work with Viacom but when he was sacked everything changed and CBS brought them)

basically they can now start making Trek under the original Merch licence but Discovery and possibly Picard are still stuck under the sub licence

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo First of all, thanks for the GIF of Kanan up there; I think I'm skewing more towards the first couple seasons, as I've been re-watching them lately, but I'm gonna add it to my ever-growing collection!

Second of all, if this Channel 4 Star Trek deal is anything like the last time, it'll be a disaster. They got the rights to broadcast Enterprise on terrestrial television and for some reason, shoved it right in the middle of their Sunday morning T4 programme which was geared towards... let's say "the Radio One demographic". When introducing each episode, the hosts would make derogatory comments about Star Trek being for nerds, that nobody cared and that the audience could go "check Facebook or get dressed" whilst it was on; they'd also sometimes talk over the end credits, rolling their eyes and insulting how each episode ended.

Say what you want about Enterprise as a show, but Star Trek deserves a much better timeslot, one that's much more accessible to its core audience. You won't attract a younger demographic by shoving aside Friends and The Simpsons on a Sunday morning; you'll alienate them, which is I think what happened and why Channel 4 didn't care about its presenters openly attacking the programme as it aired.

In other words, let's see when and where they stick it.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger yeah i doubt they would do something like that again with the presenters i mean as for the time slot i have no idea but given some of the subject matter, lines and scenes in season one i would imagine it would be in a later time slot probably after 6pm, no idea what day though but a Friday or Saturday would be best i think

FullbringIchigo

@LN78 i don't think presenters should be doing that kind of thing on air regardless of the quality of the show in question, it's disrespectful to the channel, the licencor and the fans of the show (all shows have fans regardless of quality)

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo Yeah, if I had to guess, I'd stick it at 2200 hrs. on a weekday. I think that's where they've put some other American drama shows (or at least, used to; haven't had a TV licence in years).

@LN78 Same, but it's still a little bizarre when you consider that Channel 4 spent four years actively telling its audience not to watch an hour of its programming. I've never known anything like it, before or since.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@FullbringIchigo PS: Took a few attempts, but I think I'm happy with Ezra owning a Stormtrooper as my new avatar. It almost looks like a perfect loop!

Making It So Since 1987

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo Secret Hideout was started first and foremost for the production credit on Discovery and future Star Trek TV work under the alternate licence.
That was reported. So contracts, multi-year, multi-project contracts are likely in place on those terms.

It might suit CBS to change the deal, but I don't see that changing without CBS having to buy their way out of it. I can't see Kurtzman just signing away the deal now.

FullbringIchigo

@RogerRoger yeah it's a pretty good one

@KALofKRYPTON well whatever happens i just hope it isn't a total failure because that would mean no new Trek at all, i don't want the franchise to die in the state it's in right now

FullbringIchigo

in actual Star Trek gaming news, Awakening is now live on PS4

anyone going to play it?

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo that's an interesting point. Should it (or any franchise) just limp on, regardless of quality or merit, simply to exist as a thing that makes money?

IRL myself and my friends are pretty evenly split on new Trek; me probably being the main voice of cynicism and overall least impressed, with a couple of us seemingly genuinely able to switch that off and enjoy what's presented.
For me, new Trek just doesn't sell. I do watch it because its there, but given what I've seen, heard and read (about Discovery especially) I certainly wouldn't seek it out if I didn't have a Netflix sub already.
It's unnecessary, it's a cash in that has been cobbled together from stolen ideas, bullsh*t virtue signalling claims and the furtherance of a profitable IP by people who care very little for Star Trek, and understand it even less.
I find it sadder than looking at the new Star Wars movies as at least SW has had many years of excellence in animation and gaming prior to being another piƄata for a corporate stick that doesn't really care about it so long as it sells.
Star Trek, despite the bucket loads of merchandise and reruns and streaming and boxed sets and movies lives by its TV shows. Movies are the gravy, but could you even imagine giving the slightest flip about a movie featuring... Well, anything or anyone from Discovery?

Stopping Discovery and making Picard a limited one shot wouldn't kill it. We know Disco doesn't sell shirts or toys and the like, and that critically it peaked with the introduction of Pike and an overall lighter tone and rerun to more familiarity. The accepted changes to Picard bare that out too.

The merch that makes money wouldn't stop making money. And bringing in a team who do give a crap about Star Trek will only have half an audience to convince with show that's worth watching.

Edited on by antdickens

KALofKRYPTON

@FullbringIchigo uh. Stamets.

FullbringIchigo

@KALofKRYPTON well given it was conceived under a CEO who went on record saying he hated Star Trek and didn't care about it and only agreed to have it made in order to sell All Access i can see how it started in the way it did, not for passion but for money but he is gone now so hopefully it can get better and the people who are now in charge of CBS have at least some respect for the franchise (one of the reasons for the remerger with Viacom was to get all of Trek back together) but it's going to take time to sort out and unfortunately i think it's to late for Discovery because it had potential you have to admit that but it didn't live up to it

Edited on by FullbringIchigo

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic