Forums

Topic: Pushsquare Readers Top 5 2020 Game Of The Year.

Posts 21 to 25 of 25

Ryall

1) 13 Sentinels Aegis Rim . Best story released this year it’s been a long time since I’ve been surprised by so many twists and turns. The destruction element is also really good.

2) Final Fantasy VII Remake . I really enjoyed the combat and the world.

3) Astros play room. Best 3-D platformer I’ve played this year. It’s so varied with so many different mechanisms all of which worked flawlessly.

Being the only 3-D platform on my list is an impressive feat when I’ve played the Super Mario 3-D collection and Sackboy a big adventure both of which are excellent in their own right.

4) The Pathless. A really unique game. Traverse is fun, The puzzles are satisfying and The bosses are spectacular.

5) Trials a cold steel 4. If you had of asked me at the start of the year what I expected to be my game of the year. This would’ve been it. Taken together for four games are absolutely epic.

But trials of cold steel 4 doesn’t significantly build on trials of cold steel 3 or do anything particularly surprising story wise. It’s still an excellent game. But in the way you would expect if you played the previous three rather than pushing to new heights in the way 2 and 3 each did.

Honourable mentions

Star Wars Jedi fallen order By far the best of that style game I’ve ever played The only one of style I’ve ever completed.

Super Mario 3-D all-stars. Super Mario sunshine is still one of my favourite games of all time. If there was a six place available it would’ve been it.

Death-end re:Quest 2 A far more conventional horror RPG than its predecessor. I enjoyed it a lot.

Persona 5 Royal. Still an excellent game. I really liked the new content apart from the new ending that I reached.

Edited on by Ryall

Ryall

Thrillho

5. Two Point Hospital (and DLC)

I forgot this was a 2020 release on PS4 until someone else mentioned it. As I said in my review, it takes what makes Theme Hospital fun and builds on it well. It gets a bit repetitive in the middle levels but the DLC that comes with the PS4 release is fantastic.

4. DOOM Eternal

Solid FPS action with a great soundtrack to match m/ It feels great to play and is hard as nails. The boss fights and few and far between, that platforming a little unnecessary, and I didn't like the fact that the story was pretty much all hidden away in text files but when it's this much fun to play it doesn't matter too much.

3. Kentucky Route Zero

An utterly unique experience that is truly unlike anything else I've played. I loved the style of the game and this is one of the small number of games that have really stuck with me since finishing it. It absolutely isn't for everyone but if you can enjoy the journey for what it is then this is a fantastic experience with one of my favourite moments from this gen.

2. Final Fantasy 7 Remake

Yes the voice acting can grate, yes it is a little padded out, yes they are in dangerous territory with that ending, and good god yes the graphics are terrible at times... but this is FF7! When they got it right, this game looked fantastic and the combat was fantastic. The run through on hard raised it up a notch for me as well.

1. The Last of Us Part II

Amazing. I never wanted them to return to the story given how well the first game was written, I think it's fair to say they surpassed themselves here. Action sequences are even more fun to play, even if the game almost forces you to avoid going all guns blazing and the AI is a little suspect at times. But it's the quiet moments where this game shines and the writing is well done. The ending didn't quite hit the mark for me and it does drag a little in the middle but this game is one hell of an accomplishment.

Thrillho

ShaiHulud

@Thrillho Nice to see another mention of Two Point Hospital. There's a big update coming for consoles this spring so really looking forward to that.

Sic semper tyrannis

Thrillho

@ShaiHulud I did a review on here which said how much fun I had. The levels where you run the public hospital and the teaching hospital were particular highlights.

Did you complete the DLC too? The Bigfoot one felt like a "greatest hits" set of levels as it bought back the two I mention above but with a slightly different third level. The Pebberly Island levels were much more distinct and the final level a really unique challenge.

I'm proud to say I managed to get the platinum too!

Thrillho

ShaiHulud

@Thrillho I agree on the teaching hospital and the public one. Great fun! Haven't completed the dlc yet as I had to start again from scratch when I was about to start them (long story). It's still on the agenda but next gen has thrown a spanner in the works for now.

Sic semper tyrannis

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.