Forums

Topic: Push Square Formula 1 thread - F1

Posts 221 to 240 of 751

themightyant

Bit of a formality after the final restart, they tried to make it sound exciting but track position is everything here, as Alonso showed driving over 3 seconds a lap slower, you don’t even need to be fast you just have to park the bus and make no mistakes.

But good to see a different winner than Max and Charles for the first time this season, and for the respective #2 drivers to get P1 & P2. Slightly closes up the championship.

Mr Sunday Russell still finishes every race in Top 5 and so holds onto 4th spot in the championship.

Regardless All in all one of the better Monaco’s in recent years.

themightyant

render

@themightyant They’ve got to either get rid of this race or find some way to reroute it somewhere where they can get a long straight in. I love how the cars can get really close here and the gaps look way better than at other tracks but after watching them going round and round without any chance to overtake it just knocks the excitement out of it for me.

LeClerc is going to turn into one of those guys that never manages to win his home race at this rate.

render

BearsEatBeets

@themightyant @render Totally agree with both of you. Entertaining race but hardly any of it due to actual normal weather racing/overtaking. If it's going to stay on the calendar it has to make changes.

Happy for Perez. If Russell continues to keep in touch and Merc sort out their car he could get in the mix with lots of races to go.

Baku next which I think is one of the best tracks on the calendar for good races.

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

themightyant

@render I was actually thinking about whether it would actually be a good thing for F1 if they can’t agree a new deal (as it stands this is the last Monaco GP, unless F1 and Monaco agree a new deal). I’m a little split to be honest. Pros and cons. My worry is they’d just replace it with another US GP like Vegas

themightyant

render

@BearsEatBeets Baku has been one of the more successful modern tracks so should be a good race. Having lots of space and a good straight to overtake makes a huge difference.

@themightyant You’ve got a good point about a replacement. I personally wouldn’t want any more of these new street circuits that they seem to want to push these days. I’d much rather have a classic circuit back but the problem with that I guess is that it doesn’t pay. They want someone with deep pockets to bid for a slot and that isn’t any of the counties with a track of that ilk.

The other option for keeping Monaco on the calendar is that all the drivers have to use go karts instead of their cars for that one race. That might be fun!

render

BearsEatBeets

Getting a tow is going to be huge in this quali. Should be good.

BearsEatBeets

render

@BearsEatBeets I’m surprised we didn’t see more messing about to get a tow. That Mercedes really did look painful to drive today. It’s a wonder Lewis and George have got any teeth left.

render

BearsEatBeets

@render Yeah I was really surprised we hardly saw any of it because the advantage seemed huge. Toto is even talking that they might not make it to the end of race it's so bad. I'm beginning to think we could end up seeing a dramatically changed car after the summer break.

BearsEatBeets

themightyant

Double Ferrari retirement massively disappointing from a Championship standpoint. Lewis initially got very unlucky again under VSC (George went from 4th to 4th, Lewis from 6th to 11th) but he’s now working his way back through the field and should be able to hunt down Gasly. Meanwhile George has had it like most of the season, very quiet open race in a space of his own. Good for him, maximising every opportunity, should get a podium.

McLaren staying out haven’t helped them. Back to 9th and 10th. Those Alpha Tauris really are the bung holding up every race.

Championship needs some Red bull DNFs! Then again I think I was saying the same about Ferrari 3-4 races ago so what the hell do I know 😂

Edited on by themightyant

themightyant

BearsEatBeets

@themightyant Really bad day for Ferrari, with the failures for their supplied teams too. It robbed us of some excitement out front but some good racing further back. The straight line speed of the Alpine's preventing a few more passes though. Like you say George just quietly making the most of every opportunity. Crazy to think his car his over a second slower most races than a Ferrari yet ahead of Sainz and only 17points behind Leclerc due to that reliability.
They really need to sort of Lewis' car for Canada next week because the track is very similar.
I was wondering if Lando was going to 'accidently' pip Daniel at the line 😄.

BearsEatBeets

themightyant

Wet Quali should set up some excitement. Potential for red/yellow flags too, so drivers will need to get a bank lap in top.

themightyant

themightyant

Surprised the Aston’s didn’t make Q2 considering their pace this weekend, especially in the wet. Now Sergio starting 15th, Charles 20th. Carlos maybe getting a grid penalty. Just need Max to bin it in Q2 or Q3 😂

themightyant

themightyant

@JudgeDredd as we almost did in Hungary ‘16. I think it was 10 or 11 cars were outside the 107% but let them continue due to extenuating circumstances

themightyant

themightyant

Quality drive from Fernando for front row. Carlos threw it away in the last corner. Max dominant. Shame to see George’s risk not pay off, but glad someone tried. Exciting qualifying!

themightyant

BearsEatBeets

Bold attempt by George but those first 2 corners just had too much standing water. Yeah great stuff from Alonso. I think they are saying probably dry for the race tomorrow but the mixed up grid should really mix things up. If that Alpine is as good on the straights as it was at Baku you'd have to think Alonso has a good punt at a podium.

BearsEatBeets

BearsEatBeets

That safety car should spice up the end of race. Hopefully

BearsEatBeets

themightyant

@BearsEatBeets yes. Fun race so far. going to be close between Charles and George. Can he overtake to take P4.

Come on Carlos!

themightyant

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic