Forums

Topic: New Year's (Gaming) Resolutions for 2020

Posts 41 to 60 of 112

DonJorginho

@Thrillho You think so lol? Hmm maybe reducing my game purchases even further this year might be a smart idea aha

DonJorginho

DonJorginho

@KratosMD Exactly! Taking my time has been so beneficial as I am having stronger experiences with games than ever before rather than rush through the game as quick as possible so I can move onto the next.

I have spent around 60 hours in DS and have loved it, I took my time taking in the world around me, and would just walk aimlessly around the world to see all its terrain whilst listening to my favourite music, it actually was relaxing.

And with Witcher 3 me taking my time has been great, am around 5-6 hours in and am still on the Bloody Baron questline as have been taking in the scenery, levelling up and taking on the sidequests (which are hands down the best sidequest I have EVER seen in a game).

As @Thrillho said, with many games in my backlog being so lengthy I could easily see me not start Cyberpunk till around May or June, luckily my job allows me 13 weeks paid holiday so have enough time to play these games to the fullest!

Edited on by DonJorginho

DonJorginho

RogerRoger

johncalmc wrote:

Last year, my gaming resolution - and only resolution - was to Tweet out when I finished a game that I liked and thank the developer or whoever. I did it about four times and then totally forgot. But it seems like a nice idea because Twitter probably doesn't need any more hot takes about how awful everything is, and a bit of positivity to show devs that their efforts were appreciated might just make someone's day.

So I will try and remember to do this this year.

@johncalmc There's my vote for the most heartwarming resolution of the year. Regardless of the developers you contact, you've just made me smile!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

johncalmc

RogerRoger wrote:

johncalmc wrote:

Last year, my gaming resolution - and only resolution - was to Tweet out when I finished a game that I liked and thank the developer or whoever. I did it about four times and then totally forgot. But it seems like a nice idea because Twitter probably doesn't need any more hot takes about how awful everything is, and a bit of positivity to show devs that their efforts were appreciated might just make someone's day.

So I will try and remember to do this this year.

@johncalmc There's my vote for the most heartwarming resolution of the year. Regardless of the developers you contact, you've just made me smile!

Great. Now I have to think of something horrible to do to balance it out :')

johncalmc

Twitter:

JohnnyShoulder

@DonJorginho 5 - 6 hours and you are on the bloody Baron quest? Blimey, iirc it took me twice as long to reach that quest. Maybe I went off in the other direction and got to it much later in my play through.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

DonJorginho

@JohnnyShoulder I did a few sidequests then made my way to his castle yeah aha, I am only on the first section of the quest where I just finished looking for clues inside the bedrooms.

DonJorginho

Rudy_Manchego

@johncalmc That is a actually a really cool idea. I did it for a couple of indie games I really liked this year (I think for Katana Zero and Mutazione) but I might do it for most games I like.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

Thrillho

@DonJorginho Ha, well both games are impressively long and especially if you go for the Witcher DLC (which is highly worth it but I would suggest taking a break from the game to do them).

One word of caution with the stage of the game you're at, if you're after all the Gwent cards then be sure to get the unique card off the Baron. It was the only card I missed as I wasn't into Gwent at the time. If you are after them all, I recommend buying all the cards you can from inns around the map to help your deck.

Thrillho

Th3solution

Yikes! Two weeks into the year and I’ve yet to come up with some goals. I’ve been thinking about them, but haven’t put them in writing. And we all know, a goal not written is just a wish!

I’ve usually focused my goals on shrinking my backlog and expanding my horizons. I’ll keep to those same themes again, but I’ll put a different emphasis this year.

1) Complete 20 games

I’m not putting a limit on my purchases this year by shooting for a completion percentage, I’m just going to go for a raw number. This should be achievable, although it’s a little more than I’ve done the last couple years.
2020 is going to be a much stronger year imo for game releases, and so I know I’m going to be buying a lot of games, so I’m not even going to try to set a goal that discourages purchasing; only one that encourages playing them.
(And just like before, my definition of “complete” does not necessarily mean seeing the ending credits. As long as I play the game long enough to feel like I’m done with the game and can move it out of my backlog, then that counts. Sometimes that means only playing it for a few hours until I realize it doesn’t gel with me, and sometimes that may mean playing it for 100+ hours to finish it and achieve the platinum if I am thoroughly enjoying it.)

2)Use my Vita more and complete at least 4 games.

I haven’t touched my poor Vita in months. I’m not even sure it works. There aren’t many games left on my Vita backlog. I really want to close them out.

3) Play at least one AAA game at launch.

I vacillate about whether to buy big games at launch and lately I’ve been in the camp of waiting for reviews and price drops, but the flip side to this is that I miss out on the release window buzz when everyone is experiencing the excitement of a new release for the first time. So I’m going to take a plunge and play at least one of the big games with the masses — FF7R, Cyberpunk, TLoU2, GoT, etc... one or more of these I want to get and play at release.

4) Play a Sports game, a FPS, a Soulsborne, and a Racing game.

I picked four genres that I didn’t really play much in the last year. I’m still trying to avoid becoming too locked into my favorites and stretch out into new things.

5) Be better about cleaning my PS4. Once a quarter.

I’m pretty bad about this. I’ve been lucky so far but I’m sure it’s full of dust.

————-
Non-gaming goal:
Exercise.
... 😂😂😂
Aw yeah, that was a funny one. Like I’ll actually do that.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Simon_Fitzgerald

My resolution for this year is to get back into writing reviews/news for the site since I haven't written anything in quite a while. Other than that, maybe playing the big titles from the year before we reach the end of it so I can actually write a top 5 games of the year article.

Simon_Fitzgerald

PSN: ScarySim6 | Twitter:

DonJorginho

I have hit a wall everyone, you know when you realise you're getting older and work takes up most of your time so you can't play as many games now?

Yeah, that wall.

I get 13 weeks paid holiday a year but I don't pick when I have that time so I gotta work around it, and I still have to complete Witcher 3 GOTY, Nier Automata, HZD and Metro Exodus, and this is all before March when the big games start coming out.

Lord help me lol.

DonJorginho

nessisonett

This year I’ll attempt to actually finish off games instead of getting near the end and inexplicably starting a new one. I’ve got Judgment and DmC4 in between sessions of Borderlands 2 split-screen and still haven’t finished Horizon. Oh, and chuck in a few games of The Show 19 when I have time. This is a problem.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Th3solution

We’ve already passed the first quarter of 2020, it’s hard to believe. I reckon it’s a good time to review how we’re doing on our goals; personally, I’m doing pretty poorly. Maybe reviewing them will get me kickstarted.

In my defense though, 2020 has been an unprecedented strange year with this unforeseen crazy pandemic. You’d think it would help me game more, but I’ve been gaming way less due to a corona-funk mental block.

Nevertheless, time for me to take accountability to myself for the goals I set:

1) Complete 20 games

Well, I’ve been a little lax in my gaming, as I mentioned. Sad to say I’ve only completed 3 games this year. Way behind schedule.

2) Use my Vita more and complete at least 4 games.

The most I can say for this goal is that I did turn on my Vita the other day to make sure it still works. It does.
Next step: see if it actually plays games.

3) Play at least one AAA game at launch.

Not done yet, but the big games are just about to hit market. I have FF7R targeted here, or Ghost of Tsushima. Or maybe TLoU2.

4) Play a Sports game, a FPS, a Soulsborne, and a Racing game.

One of the games I played (and completed) was Jedi: Fallen Order and I’ll count that as a “Soulsborne.” Bit of a stretch, I know. It’s more “Souls-like” but I need some positive feedback here. So, 1 out of 4 down.

5) Be better about cleaning my PS4. Once a quarter.

Nope. Not done yet.
Still ... if you don’t use something, then it doesn’t need to be cleaned, right? 😒

————
Non-gaming goal:

Exercise.

If I interpret the word “exercise” to mean “eat more bacon” then I’m doing fantastic on this one.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

mookysam
  • Get five platinum trophies.
    I've already got two platinums, so surprisingly on track with this one!
  • Play Trails of Cold Steel.
    Not started this yet.
    Get up to date with the Tales series.
    I finished the story of Tales of Hearts R a few weeks ago and am just going through the post-game dungeon.
  • Play and complete Assassin's Creed Odyssey.
    Not started this yet. Horizon seduced me instead!
  • Play Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and Metal Gear Solid V.
    Not played these yet, but Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker shall be my next PS3 game.

Considering we're only a quarter of the way through the year I'm not doing too badly at all.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

crimsontadpoles
  • Reduce my backlog:
    Doing okay so far, it's currently 3 games smaller than at the start of the year. I have been playing some very long games, so I'm arguably doing better than what the number indicates.
  • Play a Yakuza game:
    Not yet, but Yakuza 0 is near the top of my backlog.
  • Play Red Dead Redemption 2:
    Not yet, but that is also near the top of my backlog.
  • Play a Persona game:
    Not yet, but I was planning on trying out Persona 1 as my next game, probably this weekend. (I know the older Persona games are going to be very different to the more recent games we all know and love, but I do want to try it out)
  • Give my PS Vita some more love:
    Haven't played it so far this year, but Persona 1 on it will likely be the next game I start. Also moved a few other Vita games to near the top of my backlog, so there'll still plenty of opportunity to play lots on my Vita.

Edited on by crimsontadpoles

Ralizah

Purchase no more than seven new full-price retail titles over the course of the year.

Only new retail game I've purchased this year is Animal Crossing, so I'm doing well with this so far.

Purchase no more than eight older/indie releases over the course of the year.

Purchased five older games thus far for a combined price of $25. This one might be a little hard to stick to, as there are a number of indies I'm excited for this year. I need to avoid more sale games and stick to anticipated indie titles.

Complete 20 games from my backlog over the course of the year. This only counts games I purchased before January 01, 2020.

Only completed three backlog games thus far this year since I've been focusing on some of my newer purchases. Need to shift focus to knocking some of those out.

Fully complete Horizon: Zero Dawn's Frozen Wilds DLC and The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt's two DLC expansions.

I 100% completed HZD, including the DLC, so that's done, but I haven't touched TW3 in months. Need to get on that.

Complete a second playthrough of Fire Emblem: Three Houses.

Not touched it in months.

Complete second playthrough of Resident Evil 2 (Claire route) and the unlockable Hunk and Tofu modes.

Ditto.

Complete the Post-Game content for Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition, including all side-quests and all extra 2D mode content via Tickington.

Ditto.

Complete at least half of the games you buy in 2020.

Thus far, I've bought one retail title and five older games, and I've completed three of the five older games, so I think I'm doing well on that front.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

RogerRoger

Oh, hello there, topic I didn't expect to see resurrected today!

@Th3solution I'd argue that you've made some progress on each of your goals, at least those you've been able to (as you haven't wanted to play any of the new releases thusfar). Granted, some of your justifications are a little, shall we say, "politician-esque" but take what you can!

@mookysam Horizon is very seductive. I'm sure everybody will forgive you that one!

1) Play and Complete Shenmue
Yep, that's done and dusted. I deliberately avoided mentioning Shenmue II in the resolution itself, as I wasn't sure if I'd wanna continue with the series, but I think I do. Whether or not it'll be this year is another question, but let's stop here before I wind up snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

2) Broaden My Gaming Palate
Claiming a partial win here, although there's still time. Recently gave Resident Evil: Director's Cut my all, making it roughly halfway through with Chris Redfield, and the aforementioned Shenmue was certainly different (that's the polite way of describing it). Also really enjoyed Life is Strange 2 and gave indie floating simulator ADR1FT a go, and am currently terrifying myself with DOOM 64. Still spent far too long indulging in a replay of Horizon, though, and several of my forthcoming games are similarly open-world action adventures (most notably Spider-Man) but I have other, more diverse titles ready to go, including Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver, Max Payne and Psychonauts. Wish me luck!

3) Finish What I Started
Shh. We're not talking about this one. Leave me alone.

4) Be Patient About the Future
Something tells me we're all gonna have to adopt this one, whether we want to or not. I respect Sony's dedication to their plans, but let's just take each day as it comes, shall we?

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

HallowMoonshadow

I never really wrote my resolutions down clearly in my previous post all those months ago (My how time flies)

So here they are.

1. As I actually have a backlog for once, finish most of what you have...

2. ... And try not to add too much to it

3. Write Review or Impression Pieces about the beaten or abandonned titles

Well for my first goal I've beaten:

• Divinity Original Sin II - Definitive Edition
    Nier Automata
    Sonic CD (... I'm not getting that good ending at all)
  • Resident Evil Revelations 2.

I'm partway through:

• Shining Resonance Refrain

I'm near the end of:

• Iconoclasts
  • Dragon's Crown Pro

I also decided to abandon The Witcher 3

As for goal 2.... I ended up adding:

• Nier Automata
  • Resident Evil Revelations 2
  • Shining Resonance Refrain
  • Dragon's Crown Pro intentionally to the backlog.

Though from the previous section I ended up playing through these selection of games I added to the pile.

However

• Days Gone
  • Red Dead Redemption 2
  • & The Last Of Us (The PS3 version) have unintentionally come into my possession and in turn to my backlog.

I've not done that well on trying not to add to the pile at all 😂

As for goal 3... I've still not wrote anything really for those reviews/impression pieces 😅

An unfortunate case of writer's block has scuppered this goal before I even really tried ... not to mention the current circumstances making my writing mood a bit apathetic to say the least.

Oh well... It was a bit of a tall order...

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Anti-Matter

My resolution in 2020:
1. Buy more PS3, PS4, PSP games.
2. Try to finish Ratchet & Clank PS3 games quickly.
3. Try to get New 2DS XL PAL version.

Anti-Matter

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.