Forums

Topic: New Year's (Gaming) Resolutions for 2020

Posts 101 to 112 of 112

Th3solution

@colonelkilgore Yeah, 2020 has been all about expanding my gaming resume too (and feel free to use the term 😄)
I have enjoyed it so much I’ll continue with the theme for 2021 and when I pencil in my goals for next year I’m going to include something again to push my boundaries a little bit. It might be a goal to visit older titles I never played or never completed, or maybe trying a new genre, or even replaying classics that I haven’t played in a long time. I’ll have to think about it.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

colonelkilgore

@Th3solution

Good to hear you also got a lot out of your gaming in 2020... as many have said on here, at least 2020 was good for something.

On top of clearing my PS3 backlog, I am also aiming to take my current Platinum number from 32 to at least 50 by this time next year. This will be a challenge, as the vast majority of games which I play are sizeable investments of time... and a full-time job won’t help this endeavour either. I got 19 in 2020 and that was with a 6 week lockdown, so 2021 will be a push.

I’m gonna be stepping out of my comfort zone with the Danganronpa games we discussed a few days ago. Also, Kingdom Come: Deliverance seems a very distinct and original game from everything I’ve read (@Arugula it came through the post today and I’m pretty psyched for it). Apart from those though, it’ll be my usual diet of Souls-like, charachter-action, open-world RPG-lite and stealth.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

Th3solution

@colonelkilgore I had a platinum goal in 2019 (a much more meager count, I think it was like a goal for 7 or 8 that year) and I decided not to have a platinum goal this year. As a result, I only got 2 platinums this year, so my total is 26. I enjoy the meta-game of trophy hunting and got a lot of satisfaction when I really pushed for platinums in 2019, but my time constraints and my ginormous backlog have held me back from trying to get platinums on most games. I typically finish a game at 50% of trophy count and games I really love like Death Stranding I finish with 70-80%. But getting those last 3-4 trophies usually requires a big investment. And my next game usually beckons me away.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

colonelkilgore

@Th3solution

I totally get you on the ‘last mile’ of a Platinum play through being the longest and most arduous part of the whole experience... and also on the next game becoming really appealing at that point.

I do love that dopamine rush that only a Platinum can deliver though... as stupid as it is when you examine it in the cold light of day.

**** DLC!

nessisonett

@colonelkilgore @Th3solution The last push for the Platinum in Assassin’s Creed Syndicate was an absolute killer. I’ve actually managed to get quite a few plats this year, 7 out of my 8 in total. I even got 3 platinums just in October!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

colonelkilgore

@nessisonett

I’ve only played Origins and Odyssey out of the AC series. I do plan on playing another in 2021... the one I fancy playing most is Black Flag but that (& Unity) have online trophies that will probably be Platinum roadblocks due to how old the games are.

I’ll probably try the Ezio collection but out of curiosity how was Syndicate?

**** DLC!

nessisonett

@colonelkilgore I really enjoyed Syndicate, it’s paced a lot better than the open world ones and the setting is fantastic. I bounced off it when it first released but I appreciate it a lot more coming off the rest of the series.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

RogerRoger

Well, since we're safely in 2021 now, let's go back and see how I did.

1) Play and Complete Shenmue
This had become something of a running joke, but I did play Shenmue back in January. Still haven't booted up its sequel, so that whole "maybe I'll get Shenmue III in a summer sale" thing didn't pan out but hey, I'm calling it a win here.

2) Broaden My Gaming Palate
Partial victory. I did spend a lot of 2020 replaying safe, comforting games like Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order and Horizon: Zero Dawn, and I'm not sure Spidey's gameplay constituted a huge risk, but I've also tried loads of different, smaller things. I played two Resi games, and even completed one of them. Undertale was a recent gamble which mostly paid off. ADR1FT was cool, and I found Kentucky Route Zero an interesting experience. I even struggled through Final Fantasy VII. I did good.

3) Finish What I Started
Small degree of shame with this one. I listed the inFAMOUS series as something I needed to finish, and yet haven't touched it all year; same goes for the Deus Ex games. I did play Rainbow Six: Vegas 2 but, by and large, I allowed myself to get distracted by standalone curiosities (see above) and plenty of gaming comfort food, including a deep dive with Sonic. Oh well.

4) Be Patient About the Future
This one was basically "don't get a PS5 at launch" and guess what? Couldn't even if I wanted to. This one was out of my hands to a laughable degree. How naïve we all were a year ago!

Two victories, one defeat, and a circumstantial win. I've done far worse!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

mookysam
  • ]five platinum trophies. - Done! I got ten.
  • Play Trails of Cold Steel - Done! (Sort of) I'm over halfway through it.
  • Get up to date with the Tales series. - Partial. Finished Tales of Hearts R but never got much further.
  • Play and complete Assassin's Creed Odyssey. Partial. I'm in the process of playing it and have very nearly completed it (on chapter 8 of 9)
  • Play Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and Metal Gear Solid V. Partial! I did play and complete Peace Walker, however did not touch MGSV.

In all I feel I did quite well. Not the most imaginative bunch of goals, however.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

RogerRoger

@mookysam I think doubling your target of platinum trophies more than makes up for some of your other partial credits there! Nicely done!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Gremio108

Platinum Horizon Zero Dawn - done. Very enjoyable.

Platinum Shenmue III - done. It was indeed a bit of a grind, as predicted.

Don't buy new games if they launch when I'm in the middle of something else - done. Shops being shut for half the year helped with this one.

Delete Red Dead II and sell it - done. I shouldn't have though, the cowboy life still calls to me from time to time.

Complete Knacks I and II - done. The first one's meh, the second one is truly brilliant.

Platinum The Outer Worlds - done. Loved every minute.

Bring on 2021!

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.