Forums

Topic: New Year's (Gaming) Resolutions for 2020

Posts 1 to 20 of 112

RogerRoger

Blimey, it's January 3rd and nobody's created this topic yet? Allow me!

Go ahead and list your gaming-related New Year's resolutions below, to keep track of throughout 2020. They can be anything, from wanting a specific bronze trophy to thinking of completing an entirely new series of games, or buying a new console (or not, given how tempting the next generation may prove in the coming months).

Feel free to also list any non-gaming resolutions you may have, if you think it'll help hold yourself to account. We all turn our calendars over in twenty-eight days, so this topic might be a bit more of a permanent reminder for you!

Best of luck keeping any you post!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

I'll start the ball rolling with a couple of mine.

1) Play and Complete Shenmue
This has sat in my backlog for far, far too long now. It's become something of a joke, so I'm determined to at least play and complete the first game, if not Shenmue II (because there'll be no point continuing if I hate the experience, not that I expect to). With any luck, I'll have enough fun to be able to grab Shenmue III when it's inevitably discounted in a summer sale.

2) Broaden My Gaming Palate
Why yes, I do play a lot of games emblazoned with the words "Star Wars" and I'll be honest, even I'm starting to feel a little stuck. There's obviously LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga coming at some point this year, which I'll get at launch and probably platinum, but I need to break out of my obsessive shell a bit. My best friend recently did the same, adoring fresh experiences like NieR: Automata, Persona 5 and Yakuza. My drive to try and play Shenmue is part of this, I guess, and Dragon Age was such a success last year, so I'm gonna try and find something different (be it gameplay, culture, genre or whatever) every now and again.

3) Finish What I Started
Loved the first inFAMOUS and purchased all of its sequels, but then never returned. Played the first Rainbow Six: Vegas and walked away from its cliffhanger ending. Didn't even manage to clear the first level of Deus Ex without abandoning it. Put simply, I need to see things through and not get distracted so easily. The constant DLC packs and free updates to 2018's games didn't help but, with them all finished (and barely any new games purchased this year), I should have no excuses going forward.

4) Be Patient About the Future
Am I gonna want to jump on a PlayStation5 at launch? Probably, regardless of whether the games are solid enough to justify doing so or not. Would this break my rule about new technology, where I always wait a couple model numbers to ensure build quality and stability? Absolutely. Will I cave and get one anyway? Well, I'd be breaking this resolution if I do.

Given my haphazard semi-success with last year's five, I think I'll leave it at four this time!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

FullbringIchigo

My New Years Gaming Resolutions

1: get 100% of the Achievements on the XB1 version of FFVII before the Remake come out (already platinumed the PS4 version)

2: to try and get through at least halve my gaming backlog, it's starting to get a bit too big

3: to sell any games in said backlog that i know i will not get round to playing

4: save for a PS5

"I pity you. You just don't get it at all...there's not a thing I don't cherish!"

"Now! This is it! Now is the time to choose! Die and be free of pain or live and fight your sorrow! Now is the time to shape your stories! Your fate is in your hands!

BowTiesAreCool

Finish my "Games to Finish" list.

From 2017.

BowTiesAreCool

Ralizah

Purchase no more than seven new full-price retail titles over the course of the year.

Purchase no more than eight older/indie releases over the course of the year.

Complete 20 games from my backlog over the course of the year. This only counts games I purchased before January 01, 2020.

Fully complete Horizon: Zero Dawn's Frozen Wilds DLC and The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt's two DLC expansions.

Complete a second playthrough of Fire Emblem: Three Houses.

Complete second playthrough of Resident Evil 2 (Claire route) and the unlockable Hunk and Tofu modes.

Complete the Post-Game content for Dragon Quest XI S: Echoes of an Elusive Age - Definitive Edition, including all side-quests and all extra 2D mode content via Tickington.

Complete at least half of the games you buy in 2020.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Advance Wars 1 + 2: Re- Boot Camp (NS)

PSN: Ralizah

mookysam

My gaming resolutions last year failed a bit, so I'll be more conservative this year.

• Get five platinum trophies. This might actually prove a little tricky, but I managed seven last year, so shall aim a little lower.
  • Play Trails of Cold Steel. This has been in my Vita backlog for ages and I've just bought Cold Steel III but now I've finished Trails in the Sky SC I feel able to finally play the Erebonia games.
  • I'm a massive Tales fan, yet have fallen behind in recent years. With a new mothership title in Tales of Arise due to arrive later this year I shall aim to get up to date with the Tales series. That means finishing Tales of Hearts R and playing Berseria and Vesperia Definitive Edition.
  • Play and complete Assassin's Creed Odyssey. Self explanatory. I was actually planning on playing this late last year, but wasn't able to.
  • Play Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker and Metal Gear Solid V. Metal Gear Solid is a series I only started getting into in late 2018, but it has become a firm favourite. I've finished the first four, so shall play and complete the remaining two canon entries.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

KALofKRYPTON

Just play more I suppose.

Get around to the big hitters that I still haven't gotten to; God of War, Horizon ZD, TLOU, Resi 2 - maybe some others.

PSN: KALofKRYPTON (so you can see how often I don't play anything!)

Twitter: @KALofKRYPTON (at your own risk, I don't care if you're offended)

"Fate: Protects fools, little children, and ships named Enterprise." - Cmdr William T. Riker

Rudy_Manchego

Good lists so far from everyone. I am going to be moderately less ambitious than in previous years:

1) Save up for a new console (probably PS5). It would help if I knew the price though.. hint hint Sony

2) Play 2 backlog games to every one that buy. I am a sucker for sales and growing backlogs.

3) Not feel guilt about not finishing a game if I want to stop playing or get distracted. Sounds weird but I get weirdly triggered when I start a game and then don't finish it. I feel wrong somehow which is ridiculous, I know. Sekiro, for example, really annoyed me but I just wasn't enjoying it.

4) Don't overhype TLOU 2 in my head.

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

RogerRoger

@Fullbringlchigo That's a lot of Final Fantasy VII for you this year. If anybody can do it, you can!

@LN78 Ah, Ghost of Tsushima, thank you! I keep forgetting about that. Should probably have a resolution about remembering to pre-order that somewhere.

@mookysam Really looking forward to reading what you make of those last two Metal Gear games. I also noted you mention Trials of Cold Steel and thought "Even if you enjoy it half as much as @KratosMD has, you'll have a blast!" so best of luck!

Also yes, to all people wishing to clear backlogs, and wanting to stop themselves from jumping on neverending PSN sale prices, wise words!

Making It So Since 1987

Tasuki

@KratosMD I wouldn't bother with Witcher 2 on the Xbox 360 it's a really bad port of the game. Your best bet is to get it on PC if you really want to experience it.

Anyway I guess if I have any it would be make more time for gaming. With work and life in general I find it really hard to find time for gaming. There's so many games I start but just don't finish cause I just can't find the time to play anything. Alot of times I just end up restarting the game cause I forget what's been happening and then I just stop playing it at the same point I get to last time.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

PSN: Tasuki3711

kyleforrester87

No gaming resolutions for me again this year, I'll take it as it comes but a couple of health based ones since it oddly kept me a bit focused last year so...

3000 miles cycling - I can do it this year!
Finish the year doing 200 sit ups and 50 push ups per day!

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

crimsontadpoles

I failed badly at last year's goal to reduce my backlog, so time for me to do it properly this year along with some extra things.

• Reduce my backlog: It's a bit too big for my tastes, so I'd like to finish more uncompleted games than I aquire. When I say finish, that can include games that I didn't enjoy and gave up on.
  • Play a Yakuza game: The Yakuza series seems like something I'd really enjoy, and there's plenty of games in that series, so I'd like to get started with it and play Yakuza Zero.
  • Play Red Dead Redemption 2: I last replayed the first game at the very end of 2018, so it'll be nice to play 2 before I completely forget what happened in the first game.
  • Play a Persona game: Early 2019 was when I started playing this series with Persona 5, and I loved that game, so I want to play another game in the series.
  • Give my PS Vita some more love: I got a second-hand Vita in early 2019, and it's fair to say that I haven't played it nearly enough. The only game I've really played on it is Sly Cooper 1. There's plenty of different games I want to play on it, but in the past other games just took priority. I'll play more on it this year.
JohnnyShoulder

Yeah I'm not really a fan of making resolutions so the only thing I have been doing anyway is trying to finish more games that I start that I'm enjoying, and not to get distracted by new releases or sales, stockpiling games for no good reason. If I do buy a game or two it will be only be to play them pretty much straight away.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Gremio108

Platinum Horizon Zero Dawn This is my penance for neglecting this game for so long. I owe it to Aloy to platinum this game.

Platinum Shenmue III It looks like it could be a grind, so I'm not sure how this one will go.

Don't but new games when they launch if I'm in the middle of something else - Cyberpunk, I'm looking at you.

Delete Red Dead II and sell it I need the HDD space and I can't get drawn in to that game again. Too many other things to play!

Complete Knack one and two I don't really consider the pair of Knacks part of my backlog proper, but after starting them with the kids I'd quite like to finish them.

Platinum The Outer Worlds Well, why not?

Edited on by Gremio108

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

Thrillho

@crimsontadpoles

• Play a Yakuza game: The Yakuza series seems like something I'd really enjoy, and there's plenty of games in that series, so I'd like to get started with it and play Yakuza Zero.

Untitled

Thrillho

Ryall

1.Acquire a PS5.
2.Play judgement. I bought it on Black Friday and it still hasn’t got its wrapper off yet.
3.Don’t buy additional games when I’m enjoying what I’m currently playing.

Ryall

JohnnyShoulder

@Gremio108 The plat for TOW is well achievable. I reccomend starting on Hard. There are a few trophies which are linked depending on what choices you make, but some of them can be done by reloading a save. You can have unlimited multiple saves. Every game should have this. There are then a couple which hidden behind some early choices but you then might aswell do another play through on Survival difficulty, but you can skip large chunks of the game if you know what decisions to make. Some people have done it in 20 mins, but I reckon for mere mortals like us a few hours is more realistic.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

crimsontadpoles

@KratosMD Absolutely, I've heard that Persona 4 Golden is excellent. It could be a while before I get round it to though. I want to play Persona 3 Portable first, mainly because if P4G is as great as they say then it could be harder for me to get into P3P if I play it afterwards. I'm not really familiar with the other games you mentioned (except for Danganronpa obviously), so I might have to look into them.

@Thrillho Cool gif. Most of my very limited knowledge of Yakuza is based on gifs and screenshots people post on this forum, so I'll be sure to take plenty of screenshots as well.

Gremio108

@JohnnyShoulder Right, good to know. So are there separate trophies for completing it on Hard and Survival. Because I was considering starting with Survival mode. I did that for Fallout New Vegas and after the first couple of hours it wasn't too bad.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

JohnnyShoulder

@Gremio108 Yeah they stack too so if if you complete it on Survival (or Supernova as it is called) you unlock the trophies for completing the game across 3 difficulty levels. You kinda need to do more than one playthrough any way to get all the different decision related story ones, so the trophy guides i looked at all say to do one on Hard to capture the bulk of them and play the game at your own pace, then do a another run on Supernova. It is supposed to be quite a drastic change. The one to watch out for is that companions have perma death on, and there are a few trophies linked to using them which you will probs won't get until a few hours in.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.