Forums

Topic: Gaming Resolutions for the New Year of 2021

Posts 81 to 100 of 103

Thrillho

@lolwhatno ha, it took me a while to get to the stage of enjoying running but I do now.. or at least I feel good for having been.

Part of it is the same as doing anything new, like learning an instrument, in that it feels frustrating to start with when you're a bit useless but once you get through that then it gets easier and more enjoyable.

Thrillho

Th3solution

Thrillho wrote:

…I think your completed resolution means the others were always less likely to happen!

Very true. Once I got a PS5, it became less enticing to go back and finish an old PS4 game or replay a series from PS3. I suspected prior-generational neglect would crop up once I got a PS5, I just didn’t plan on it happening so early in the year! 😄

@RogerRoger I like the sounds of it better when my objectives are combined like that! I suddenly feel like less of a loser. 😛
And yes, the last month became an exercise in futility when it came to getting any gaming momentum going. Real life sucks.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

LieutenantFatman

Ah, I see my resolutions were:

1) Purchase a PS5 and a compatible television.
2) Paint Bloodborne board game, then play board game.

I succeeded with both, hurray! Well, only partially on the 2nd part but I'll take it.

LieutenantFatman

crimsontadpoles

crimsontadpoles wrote:

Here's my goals for the year:
1) Reduce the size of my backlog by at least 5 games
2) Play 3 games on Wii U (including Wii and virtual console games)
3) Play 3 PS Vita games

I did well on each of these. I finished with 5 more games than I bought. Also played a bunch of Wii/Wii U games including Super Mario Galaxy 2, EarthBound, and Rhythm Paradise Fever. Likewise, I also played several Vita games including Persona 3 Portable.

colonelkilgore

Success and failure for me. The three main objectives going into 2021 was (1) completely clear my PS3 backlog, (2) Platinum some older PS4 titles that require online trophies as the servers will inevitably empty and close and (3) get my overall Platinum Trophy count to 50 (which was earning 18 for the year).

• (1) although I played a fair few PS3 games this year (God of War 2, God of War: Ghost of Sparta, Metal Gear Solid, Metal Gear Solid 2, Metal Gear Solid 3, Metal Gear Solid 4, Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker etc.) my PS3 backlog has actually grown (groan).
  • (2) pretty happy on this front, managed to find enough online activity to platinum Dying Light, Assassins Creed: Black Flag, Assassins Creed: Unity, Tomb Raider, The Last of Us: Remastered, Watchdogs, Watchdogs 2 etc.
  • (3) can’t believe I managed to shatter this one by so much… but actually got 38 Platinums this year to take my total to 70.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

Th3solution

@colonelkilgore Yeah, you’re going to need to up the ante when you make your 2022 goals! 😅 45 Platinums for next year? 😜

And you’re trophy dings have been coming so fast and furious that I forgot you did some of the old Assassin’s Creed games. I had AC Black Flag on my ‘revisit and try to complete’ list as I feel like I should give the game another chance to convince me why it’s so beloved. Actually, now that I’m thinking about it, maybe I do remember us talking about the game several months ago and you liked it but weren’t over the moon with it either. Anyhoo, nicely done this year, sir.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

colonelkilgore

@Th3solution thanks buddy, yeah I was a bit disappointed with AC: Black Flag… it’s not that it wasn’t good but I’ve just always heard that it is ‘most peoples’ favourite and I just found it merely average. Probably an unpopular opinion but I much preferred AC: Unity which I played through straight after.

**** DLC!

RogerRoger

@Ralizah You and I did have that conversation about pre-orders and buying at launch and whatnot, and looking at what's on the horizon (pun semi-intended) I think we're wise to take a step back from the forthcoming release schedule, to be a little more selective about what we play and when. Maybe that'd make for a good resolution going forward, because I know I'm gonna be tempted by things I've already decided to try and avoid, particularly when all that pre-release hype peaks; I'm only human, after all. A resolution like that, coupled with renewed determination to dent our backlogs, might just do the trick.

@Th3solution Doesn't it just...?! But I'm sure you'll get around to everything eventually, and hopefully enjoy it when you do. As long as you're making progress, you can't possibly be losing!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

nessisonett

@colonelkilgore I played through the entire AC series starting last September and I genuinely prefer 3 and Unity to Black Flag as well. Could just be my tastes but I do think those two games aged better as I remember enjoying Black Flag more when it first released.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

colonelkilgore

@nessisonett I’m yet to play AC3 but I’m definitely looking forward to it based on your post. I’m gonna play through AC: The Ezio Collection during 2022… but I have AC3 and AC: Syndicate (which I’ve also heard good things about from people whose opinions I generally agree with) pencilled in for 2023.

**** DLC!

nessisonett

@colonelkilgore Syndicate’s another game I didn’t like back when it came out but I really enjoyed as part of that binge. The setting does help though! The Ezio games are great but 3 does feel like a breath of fresh air after Revelations. The platinum for 3 is one of my proudest, you have to do genuinely everything that the game has to offer.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

colonelkilgore

@nessisonett well I’ll certainly be going for the Plat… sounds like I may have to give it a bit more space in ‘the schedule’ though 😅

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

RogerRoger

Close enough to call these now, I reckon.

1) Get a PlayStation 5
Ding! Consider myself real lucky to have one, as well.

2) Play the Rest of the inFAMOUS Series
Gonna give myself half a point for this one. I completed inFAMOUS 2 and its expandalone, Festival of Blood, earlier in the year, but have fallen short of even considering a playthrough of Second Son, let alone its expandalone, First Light. So that's literally a 50% win.

3) Clear 50% of My Backlog
Alright, so back in January I had 84 games listed in my backlog, and therefore my target was to complete 42 games this past year. I've actually completed (or "completed enough to be cleared from my backlog" if you wanna get technical) 63 games, so it would appear that I've exceeded my target by 21... but here's the punchline: as of right now, I have 96 games listed in my backlog. This means that I've somehow managed to add more games than I've cleared (?!).

Hmm. I can either claim a politician's victory, or call it another half-point. Reckon I'll do the latter.

As for my other, non-gaming resolutions, I sincerely doubt that I'll become a published novelist who also happens to look like a swimsuit model in the next thirty-six hours, so we'll gloss over them, too.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger That backlog sounds like a rabbit farm! 😅 Your games are multiplying out of control.

Nice work, nevertheless. 63 games played is nothing to sneeze at.

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Yeah, that'll teach me to store my games next to one another!

And thanks! When I did the math, I was a bit surprised, and double-checked to make sure I hadn't counted every game twice or something, but no, it's 63. Much of that number is thanks to replays of older licenced games, though, so it's not like we're talkin' about a list of epic time-wasters here. I think Mass Effect: Legendary Edition, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy and Ghost of Tsushima: Director's Cut were my meatiest undertakings. Everything else was comparatively brief.

Making It So Since 1987

Gremio108

1. Platinum Dirt 5 - Done. It was a straightforward platinum in the end, and only really got a bit tiresome with the 'drive 1,000 miles' trophy. Fun though.

2. Get a PS5 - Done. It was a close one though, just in time for Christmas.

3. Complete Hollow Knight - Done. Thoroughly enjoyable and possibly one of my favourites of the generation. Glad I didn't say I'd platinum it though. Hopefully we'll get Silksong soon, it's all gone a bit quiet on that one.

I feel this was a slightly unambitious list. Back in January 2020 I was already on my way to Dirt 5 and Hollow Knight, and I was facing plenty of time on my hands. I could have at least taken up yoga or something. Oh well.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

RogerRoger

@kyleforrester87 Yeah, no offence, but that's not a backlog, buddy.

Making It So Since 1987

mookysam

1. Write reviews for at least a third of the games I complete - I completed 22 games last year and wrote reviews for five of them. I was also halfway through writing a sixth at the end of the year, but was unable to finish it before Christmas. Although I didn't exactly succeed at this goal, I'm nonetheless proud of my contributions to the review thread.

2. Don't allow a backlog to develop on the PS5 - Didn't do too badly with this one, given barely anything of note released for the thing. I bought Tales of Arise, which I'm in the midst of playing, and Super Monkey Ball, which gave me a headache. Oh and a few digital games.

3. Complete 30 games in 2021 - 22 completions.

4. Broaden my gaming horizons a little - I can claim a success! I played Streets of Rage 4 and actually really enjoyed it. Beat-em-ups are not exactly in my comfort zone.

5. Finish Red Dead Redemption II - Alas, no. I had every intention of doing so, but it's not my fault the year moved so quickly!

6. Play a higher proportion of PS3 and Vita games - I completed four Vita games, so guess as a proportion of what I played didn't do too badly at all.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.