Forums

Topic: Final fantasy discussion thread

Posts 2,901 to 2,920 of 3,693

JohnnyShoulder

Weren't they supposed to be coming to Gamepass, did that ever happen? I can vaguely remember hearing on a podcast that they are still not on there, but I could have dreamt this all up!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

nessisonett

@JohnnyShoulder Yeah, but it was only VII and onwards. Games with existing ports or backwards compatible versions.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Voltan

@nessisonett well that kinda sucks... it has pretty bad reviews on the App Store too. All those years back I played the SNES version on an emulator and it was awesome.

Voltan

nessisonett

@Voltan My favourite version is the Advance port patched to include the original soundtrack. Bit of a nightmare to acquire on original hardware but I think you can buy carts on eBay.

JohnnyShoulder

Started FFXII last night. Thank you Mr Ebayer and postie for quick delivery. Not got far in so far, but liking what I've played so. Love the art style and the non-human character designs. A couple of the systems I'm not so sure of, but I'm sure that will come with playing more of the game. Kupo!

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

HallowMoonshadow

Whoa that really was fast delivery @JohnnyShoulder! I take it you're still just running around Rabanastre as Vaan right? Maybe off to make the sunstone?

Ya know I've never liked the Moogles design in the Final Fantasy games... Except in this one where they look like actual living creatures and fit into the world rather then the normal weird gonky design they have

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

JohnnyShoulder

I've just got the sunshine stone @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy, and am about to head back to Rabanastre. I was thinking that the Moogle designs seem a bit different to what i remember.

Forgot to say before, one thing I'm not a fan of is the big black bar at the bottom of the screen during cutscenes, apparently for subtitles (even when they are disabled like I have). Strange how they didn't do anything about with the the remaster.

I quite like you can speed up traversal with a press of L1. Makes me a bit more enthusiastic about going back to previous areas.

One thing I am a bit confused by is equipment. My understanding is that you unlock the different Licenses, which means you can then equip the relevant stuff under that Licence? Also not quite sure how Gambits work. I've toggled it on and off in the battle menu, but not noticed any difference.

nessisonett

@JohnnyShoulder Yep, licenses mean you can then buy and equip that piece of equipment. It’s worth going to the latest shop to see what’s available before unlocking a license that you end up having to wait ages to use. Gambits are ways to make your team act in a certain way. So for example, ‘if HP <30%, use Potion’. You have to collect the conditions but they can be a really good way to save time and not have to worry about your party members.

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett Ok thanks, I think that is kinda what I've been doing with the licenses. I'm sure it will all make sense eventually.

HallowMoonshadow

Yeah moogles tend to look like this give or take a bit of artistic license @JohnnyShoulder

Untitled

-EDIT- There finally got the link to work!

Ness has explained the license boards to a T.

The original PS2 version of the game made everyone have the exact same license board whereas in TZA you get different license boards that ends up giving you a class/job system more or less. I believe they patched in the ability to reset them now too if you like?

Depending on what you do/set them up the gambit system can make battles automated. I played the PS2 version back im the day entirely without them 😅

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

JohnnyShoulder

Awww, they look so cute @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy! I like the middle three in the second row starting from the waistcoat wearing one.

The game explains the gambit system really well when you reach the tutorial, just after you meet Fran and Balthier (heeeellooooo Fran), and are back the sewers. What is it with FF games and sewers?! 😅 I have set them up now, and got one party member to heal when a character gets below 70% health, like @nessisonett mentioned.

I generally like the voice acting, apart the the clipped English toffs for some characters. Fran is especially good.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

nessisonett

@JohnnyShoulder In a perfect universe, Fran and Balthier would have had their own spin off sequel but instead we have Vaan and Penelo, two slights on an otherwise fantastic game.

kyleforrester87

I’ve not completed FF12, but I’ve got near the end twice and I can’t remember anything of note regarding the story. That’s not good for a FF game, in my opinion. The battle system and gameplay in general is fun though.

Edited on by kyleforrester87

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett Ah yes I remember know, when I was looking at which FF game to get awhile back, I recall seeing how some weren't keen on Vaan. He does comes across a bit petulant at times. Just freed Basch, and wanted to clip Vaan around the ear hole.

nessisonett

@kyleforrester87 To be honest, the story is pretty all over the place. I can’t remember much either. The gameplay really is great though plus the fast motion in the remaster is a godsend.

kyleforrester87

I heard Basch was originally the main character but then Vaan was dropped in later into development or something. Either way, it obviously has some issues in that department.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

nessisonett

@kyleforrester87 An older FF protagonist would be pretty interesting. Especially one with a backstory like Basch. Wow, that game really would have been amazing if he was the main character.

JohnnyShoulder

@Arugula You just missed it on sale down to 20 quid on the PS store. I'm certainly enjoying it more than I thought i would.

Voltan

An extended look at PS5's visual upgrades for 7 Remake dropped on YT: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVyic4U88TA

This was apparently my most played game of 2020 and it definitely looks like I'll be doing that all over in June

Edited on by Voltan

Voltan

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic