Forums

Topic: Elden Ring Hype Thread

Posts 241 to 260 of 2,024

JohnnyShoulder

@colonelkilgore You do fight her in the Chalice Dungeons, pretty sure she is one of the last bosses. Think she also appears before the Mergo's Wet Nurse fight.

Anyhow, back to Elden Ring. I like the sound of each area sharing the same theme based on the Demigods particular corruption. Should give each area that typical distinct From vibe.

Really like the look of this armour, hope you get to wear it. Always amazes me how much detail they put into everything.

Untitled

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

colonelkilgore

@JohnnyShoulder yeah she’s the last boss in the Chalice Dungeons… think the screen shot was from when she was wandering the streets prior to the Mergo’s wet nurse section.

Stunning art work… the art design at From is just next level. Quite reminiscent of Maiden Astraea and Garl Vinland (love those pair too).

**** DLC!

JohnnyShoulder

@colonelkilgore Just casually walking down the street, as you do, in my wedding dress with a blood stain down the crotch. 😳 😆

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

JohnnyShoulder

@colonelkilgore Yeah every Saturday morning in Cardiff.

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman sorry, I was off the grid...Yeah, I Love The Lord of the Rings! Books and films, actually. Love The Hobbit book as well but not the films so much. Not sure if I’ll read them before Elden Ring. I’ve been reading a fair amount of Tolkien’s contemporary and friend C.S. Lewis recently.

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

JohnnyShoulder

@TheBrandedSwordsman Ha ha, classic clip! As long as we don't start speaking Welsh or comparing scars, only remember a few phrases and most of them swear words lol.

Black_Swordsman

@colonelkilgore @Jimmer-jammer This is from The Big Hidetaka Miyazaki Interview with IGN (Google it, if you so desire).

"IGN: Switching gears a little bit, how do you approach leveling up in a game like this, which is much more open than projects that you've previously worked on? Is it a similar system of gaining currency from defeating enemies, and potentially losing that level up currency when you die? Are there any differences in how you're approaching level ups in Elden Ring?

HM: So yes, with this increased sense of scale and this vast new map, we had to allow for a certain amount of progression and reward no matter which direction the player took and which path they take because of that high level of freedom. You will find those elements to battle and those elements to just exploring the world, which will allow you to keep that going. You can customize and craft items on the go by using materials found in the world. There are also more resources to recover health on the way as you will be fighting for a longer time than before. The key word I think is 'retention', and retaining a sense of progression, so we wanted them to keep going, to keep that flow as they explore and they journey through the map.

So to give an example from a previous game, you could call the resurrection mechanic in Sekiro a retention of the sense of progress and not wanting to spoil that sense of rhythm or tempo the player has as they play. So we have a couple of elements in Elden Ring, which come from a similar kind of breed. Something that will keep them going and keep them encouraged to explore further. But you won't be able to resurrect in this game."

What do you make of this? "Fighting for longer" suggests less checkpoints but 'allowing for a sense of reward and progression no matter what direction the player takes' suggests bonfires aplenty, I'm a bit confused and was hoping one or both of you could interpret Miyazaki-san's words for me here.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

colonelkilgore

@TheBrandedSwordsman so I have little to no idea how Myazaki's words will be implemented but nothing but confidence that it'll be a great way of changing it up for the new format.

His words are a little like his games... cryptic and esoteric. And... if only in the case of Myazaki, I'm perfectly fine with that 🤣

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman yeah, I’m in the same boat as you and @colonelkilgore on this one. His words here are politician-level vague. If I didn’t know any better I’d say he was describing a rogue-like. 😂

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Vertpin

I'm beyond excited for this game. Hope it delivers to the same degree of quality as Dark Souls 1, Bloodborne, and Sekiro.

Vertpin

Black_Swordsman

@colonelkilgore @Jimmer-jammer I see, well, thanks anyway! On a side-note which bosses would you say were harder between Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne? Excluding DLCs and Chalice Dungeons. Personally, I think the DS3 bosses were harder.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

JohnnyShoulder

@TheBrandedSwordsman Fighting for longer I think he means that you will be able to craft stuff to help you on your way, rather than there being limited to use on the spot revival like in Sekiro. Instead of bonfires there are shining golden Grace's where you can make camp, and can be used for fast travel also. That is what is says in the mag anyway.

Black_Swordsman

@JohnnyShoulder Thanks for the info, does it say how plentiful the golden Grace's will be throughout the game?

Jimmer-jammer

@TheBrandedSwordsman I agree. The Nameless King still gives me nightmares, though Martyr Logarias was a real struggle for me my first time through Bloodborne. What’s been your most memorable area in a From game, for any reason?

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic