Forums

Topic: Elden Ring Hype Thread

Posts 181 to 200 of 2,024

JohnnyShoulder

@colonelkilgore Yeah I fought both/all versions of Owl. The only stuff I didn't do was for the bad ending as that would mean missing a whole load of the game iirc. Probs my game of PS4.

@nessisonett I generally don't do it unless there is a weapon or something that I want and it is a couple of levels or so above me. But I've never done it to make my character OP. Got no problem with people that choose to do it, but it is no for me.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

JohnnyShoulder

@colonelkilgore About the same for me for a few of the bosses tbh.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

JohnnyShoulder

He makes some very good points and I agree with most of them. And the Fextra wikis are my go to place for these games.

colonelkilgore

The Easy mode argument will crop up everytime a new From Soft game releases... I really hope From Soft continues to stick to their guns on the subject though. The thing is, they ain't really that difficult once the initial noob-shine wears off, trouble is a lot of people can't endure that initial acclamation period. If people really want to play it, they just need to bite down on the mouth-guard for the first few hours!

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

nessisonett

The problem isn’t an easy mode, it’s the lack of accessibility options. You need to be 100% healthy to play these games at all. The slightest nerve or muscle problem in your hand, reaction speed issues, eyesight problems and nope, you’re not allowed to play Souls games anymore. They should focus on adding accessibility options like R&C and TLOU2 did.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

colonelkilgore

@TheBrandedSwordsman probably GRRM misunderstanding the actual situation but “… it’s a sequel to Dark Souls…” is… interesting. At the end (the canon ending, as long as certain things are carried out) of Dark Souls 3’s dlc, there is scope for something else… that would take place somewhere else. So who knows?

Actually, I’ve always thought that a Dark Souls prequel game would be an awesome opportunity to explore Gwyn and his knights against the nameless King and the Dragons.

**** DLC!

Black_Swordsman

@colonelkilgore Yeah, I agree a prequel game would have been great, especially if you could play as Gwyn, getting his gear after completing Dark Souls 1 if you want to notwithstanding.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Lassespfs

@nessisonett I am very allergic to cats and I live with 5 cats. My allergy often triggers eye problems where i have to close my eye for a second every half minut or so. I could still Platinum bloodborne, beat sekiro twice, beat dark souls and platinum demon souls + doing a sl1 run even with my eye problems.

Lassespfs

nessisonett

@Lassespfs Well done.

colonelkilgore

@Lassespfs @nessisonett in fairness I do think they are separate debates (easy mode and accessibility). I have a vague recollection of a journalist or two who struggled with Sekiro’s difficulty and was stating about the need for an Easy mode in From Soft games and tried to ‘use’ the disabled gamers and their accessibility requirements to bolster their own able bodied arguments. Some disabled gamers were a little perturbed as they are clearly much more than a mere tool to be used in a separate argument.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

Kidfried

@nessisonett @colonelkilgore I agree with the general sentiment between your posts that an easy mode is not anywhere near the solution for many famers with a disability. Yes, you're making it easier for all people to beat the game, but you're selling them a watered down version. We need options like those are present in TLOU2.

Josh Straub, a consultant on accessibility has described difficulty options as a "blunt solution" and in the case of From Software I'd say a difficulty option is too blunt. I think he said somewhere that the only thing worse than a good game a gamer is not able to play, is a bad game they can.

If From Software would finally improve their camera and such, implement a one-handed mode, add a pause option, and made it so you can hold buttons to repeatedly dodge, attack, and so on, that would actually open the game up to more people.

(There are of course way more things that might be needed to be done to make the game accessible to everyone; but I just named the first things I could think of!)

Edited on by Kidfried

Kidfried

nessisonett

@Kidfried Just an actual pause button would help. A guy I went to school with has early onset osteoarthritis in his hands and while he can play quite a few games in semi-short bursts (can be therapeutic as well), online shooters and Souls games would mean he would have to play through the pain or put down the controller and let himself die in-game if it acted up. I noticed that Final Fantasy Souls game has a pause button and it can only be a good thing.

colonelkilgore

@Kidfried @nessisonett I wouldn’t be averse to a pause button… they would have to work something out in terms of the online ie. can’t pause once you’ve invaded or have been invaded but can pause at all other times maybe.

**** DLC!

4lkis

Well, if anyone wants Discord discussion and memes about Elden Ring, feel free to join https://discord.gg/PWCTWS8Tgd for more discussion , memes and speculations .

Praise the Sun .

4lkis

Black_Swordsman

@Th3solution Do you think Miyazaki's statement that you can skip more than half of the game's bosses if you so choose and still complete it will help you make up your mind about purchasing the title?

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

colonelkilgore

@TheBrandedSwordsman @Th3solution so ‘over half’ does seem significant but I’d argue that most of the best From Soft bosses are only optional in Dark Souls 1, 2, 3, Bloodborne and Sekiro. Definitely not half in those cases but still quite a lot.

As always with From, I personally will want to beat all the bosses if I’m able… as the boss fights are generally such a high point in these types of games. The option to skip some is definitely a boon to try and tempt players in though. Hopefully that’ll be the case and gamers like Sol and many, many more will take the plunge.

**** DLC!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic