Forums

Topic: Elden Ring Hype Thread

Posts 161 to 180 of 2,024

colonelkilgore

@TheBrandedSwordsman even the thinnest of rumours involving this situation and I'm hyped. I obviously understand well and good that it could simply be nothing but you only live once and just enjoy the 'thrill of the chase'.

Also, you have to think Sony has at least spoken to From about a successor (spiritual or otherwise) to Bloodborne. And yeah I agree, even if it is real, there is no way it releases within earshot of Elden Ring. They'll wring that squidgy dry first no doubt.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

JohnnyShoulder

I like the idea of being able to swap the weapons skills between different weapons. They have appeared in previous games, but most of them were largely ineffective and some of the weapons they were locked to were hard to come by. There is a lot of them too, with over 100 I believe.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

colonelkilgore

@TheBrandedSwordsman I find the difficulty subject very interesting in regards to From Software. Not in the usual "oh From Software games are hard" shtick but in the "everyone finds specific parts and specific bosses difficult" perspective.

Nearly everyone I know who plays these games have not only a different take to me on what's difficult and whats not... but also to each other. Sure the odd boss like Orphan of Kos or Ludwig are tough for everyone but I'll walk through others whom my mates will be stuck there for days and vice-versa.

Funny you should mention Miyazaki stating DS3 being easier than Bloodborne and Sekiro as in all honesty I find The Ringed City (DS3) the most difficult content of all From Software output... but obviously that is yet another very personal perspective.

But having said all that (& I could well be in for a rude awakening) after playing through Ashen with half health and half stamina, I'm a whole new player in this genre. It's gonna be interesting to see how a new level of focus effects how I progress through the next From Soft title.

**** DLC!

Black_Swordsman

@JohnnyShoulder Yeah the weapon arts options look great for this game. How do you feel about the game purportedly being more accessible than previous titles such as Sekiro and Bloodborne, but about on par with Dark Souls 3?

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

Black_Swordsman

@colonelkilgore Yes but don't you think Miyazaki was referring to the Dark Souls III base game and not to the DLC? Also, if that's the case, how do you think the vanilla Dark Souls III game compares to vanilla Bloodborne and Sekiro?

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

colonelkilgore

@TheBrandedSwordsman I definitely think Sekiro was the most difficult... but that might be more to how different it was. Also, I've always been more of a dodge-roller than a parry player so it was further out of my wheelhouse that it was for some others.

In terms of Bloodborne and DS3 I find it hard to split them. I've recently come to the conclusion (Ashen's hard run again) that I'm naturally very attack oriented and I think that really helped me click with Bloodborne. It's still my favourite combat system around. Yeah I'm not sure if I could decide one or t'other in regards to those two.

**** DLC!

JohnnyShoulder

@TheBrandedSwordsman It's hard to say without playing it as that is such a unique thing individually. Sekiro was supposed to be more accessible From Software game yet, but was still difficult and too much for some people more accustomed to the Souls games.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

colonelkilgore

@JohnnyShoulder I do see what you mean about Sekiro, you could basically stealth 90% of a given stage which really takes the difficulty out of it... but those boss fights though. The second fight with Owl (@ Hiratta) was imho infinity more difficult than any boss fight in Dark Souls or Bloodborne. Sekiro is fairly difficult to gauge I guess.

**** DLC!

nessisonett

@JohnnyShoulder I found Sekiro way way harder than any Souls game to be honest. The specific skill set just did not gel with me. Whereas my older brother found it a lot easier. He’s really good at Guitar Hero though so I think his reflexes are just better than mine.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Th3solution

@TheBrandedSwordsman Yeah, my goal should be to knock out Dark Souls 3 or Demon’s Souls Remake before Elden Ring. I feel like I probably won’t be getting it on day 1 then, more likely after a few months, depending on how my backlog gets worked

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Black_Swordsman

@Th3solution Can't stress it enough - Go for Dark Souls 3 over Demon's Souls. Dark Souls 3 for accessibility to new players with it's numerous checkpoints over DeS meagre number of them FTW every time. Plus if what Miyazaki said is true, and it probably is since he is responsible for the game, it should give you a good idea of what to expect from ER.

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

JohnnyShoulder

@colonelkilgore @nessisonett Sekiro felt like almost pure skill based at times, and the fact that you couldn't summon or grind to make your character OP severely hampered some people who relied on those things. I'm far and away from being the most skilled player out there, but I managed to beat the game yet not managed to beat the Orphan of Kos or the last couple of bosses in The Ringed City. Not say I found Sekiro easy, far from it as some bosses took me hours of non stop attempts to get through.

Not sure exactly what my point is there, but I've had a few!

colonelkilgore

@JohnnyShoulder yeah I finished Sekiro a few times, just have the one ending left and a couple more upgrades to the prosthetic and I’ll have the plat… just finding the time is all. Out of interest did you fight Owl Father at Hiratta (the fight when he was in his prime as opposed to Shinobi Owl at Asshina) I found him and the Demon of Hate really tough… if so how did you find them?

**** DLC!

nessisonett

@JohnnyShoulder I honestly can’t think of ever grinding in a Souls game to be honest but yeah, Sekiro was too much for me. One of the few games that I’ve just plain given up on.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

colonelkilgore

@nessisonett I remember grinding on my original Demons Soul playthrough on PS3 back in the day. It was just such an alien experience at the time that I felt I had to give myself an edge in order to get through it. Your right though, the more you play of them, you really don’t have to grind. The souls (or whatever their called in the various iterations) just fly in by the bucket-load as you progress and it would be a waste of time.

**** DLC!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic