Forums

Topic: Elden Ring Hype Thread

Posts 101 to 120 of 2,024

HallowMoonshadow

I can't speak for anyone else but personally I don't think the trailer really did itself any favours to really showcase the uniquer features of Elden Ring compared the previous Soulsborne titles @colonelkilgore.

I mean other then show a horse for about ten seconds and some more open looking enviroments I can't say there was anything I haven't seen From do before?

Not that that's a bad thing mind you and not to dampen yours or Draco/Swordsman's elation at it but I can't say I'm surpised at most people not being quite as pumped as you two.

I'll be sure to get it and play it by all means as soon as I can... Again I think for most people (Myself included) it'll actually have to be in their hands to really appreciate the differences šŸ˜„

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

JohnnyShoulder

@colonelkilgore Well said, for the genuine fans of the games i think we have seen exactly what we wanted to see. There was enough different stuff for me in in a first gameplay reveal trailer , at at the same time having a Souls vibe to it. I'm sure more details will be revealed prior to release to satisfy those people that would like to know more.

Edited on by JohnnyShoulder

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Kidfried

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Yea, I think I might have said something similar in the chat. The problem with all these vertical slice trailers with a lot of quick cuts, is that it's unbelievable hard to get any sense of how it actually is to play the game.

What did trailer did - and most trailers do nowadays - is just showing off the world. And while I'm interested in this game's world, I don't really need to experience that from the trailers. Show me the combat, the unique features, and I'll know enough of whether I want to dive in this world and its lore next year or not.

The way the trailer was cut made it all so much more generic. Take for instance the flying horse, is that something that's going to happen once, or is that a core part of the game? We don't know.

Kidfried

JohnnyShoulder

Few more details looked at. Quite a lot of speculation mind, which is understandable.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

colonelkilgore

@JohnnyShoulder I know right... I've seen comments from people online saying they were hoping it would be more like The Witcher 3 and the like! Firstly, FromSoft clearly believe in their deliberate, stamina based combat as why else would they have persevered with it this long if they didn't fundamentally believe it was (in their opinion) the best combat template for western-fantasy action, so I'm confusedas to why they thought the addition of George R R Martin on the games lore would cause that to change... and Secondly, could you even imagine the FromSoft core fans reaction if after all this time they unveiled Elden Ring and it played like The Witcher 3! No offence to fans of The Witcher 3... I have the utmost respect for its game world and questing-narrative structure but it 'played' horribly imho.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

Black_Swordsman

@JohnnyShoulder Thanks for sharing that, I found it quite interesting and to be an insightful look into the game.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

nessisonett

@Kidfried Yeah, I totally got what you meant in the chat. Itā€™s a game which needs a proper breakdown. The trailer in itself could have been by the Lords of the Fallen devs or the Mortal Shell devs. There wasnā€™t enough to properly show off why this game is new and exciting.

Plumbingā€™s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Black_Swordsman

@nessisonett "There wasn't enough to properly show off why this game is new and exciting." You won't be buying it at launch or even when the bugs have been patched up then? I thought you were, like me, a big FromSoft fan?

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

JohnnyShoulder

@colonelkilgore As much as I liked The Witcher 3 (longest I've spent in a single game at over 300 hours, and not started any of the dlc), I'm not sure I would like From Software follow that game, especially in terms of combat and how the story is handled. Anyone expecting expansive narrative choices like The Witcher 3 and the Mass Effect games needs to get there expectations in check. I imagine the best we are gonna get is something like that was in Bloodborne of Sekiro. In terms of open world, I'm expecting something more akin to the likes of God of War 2018, so not totally open world but more so than in previous games.

@TheBrandedSwordsman No worries, sir. I will keep an eye out for anymore but not gonna throw up every single video that appears on YouTube. Waiting on Vaati's vid to drop, as he is always super insightful and like to do a bit of digging too.

colonelkilgore

@JohnnyShoulder yup, agreed... and even though I've made it pretty clear I'm not a fan of The Witcher 3's combat, I put well over 100 hours into it at release and still plan on returning to it at some stage to mop up the remaining trophies.

**** DLC!

nessisonett

@TheBrandedSwordsman I might be a fan but Iā€™m waiting to see a bit more. Iā€™m not the sort to pre-order or get hyped on the slightest scraps so yeah, the game exists but Iā€™ll need to see another trailer.

Plumbingā€™s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

JohnnyShoulder

@nessisonett Like mentioned previously, this is the first gameplay reveal trailer. From Software were never gonna do full breakdown at this stage as I don't recall them ever do that previously. I just posted a video breaking down the video a bit more, so there is stuff out there if you wanna know more.

TraCuz-

@TheBrandedSwordsman @colonelkilgore It's funny man yesterday when the trailer premiered you were fellow gamers that came to mind. What's your thoughts? Are you hyped? Disappointed? Honestly I can't say I'm crazy about FromSoft as I've only completed DS3 and played Bloodborne and Sekiro. But I definitely enjoy the games they craft. I don't think Elden Ring is a day 1 for me but I'll surely follow its hopeful success.

Also, I've seen a decent amount of people complain about the visuals as they were expecting more, something comparable to the Demon's Souls Remake. I think people failed to set their expectations and forgot its a cross-gen game. I personally thought it looked great, guess that's the strength of good art direction.

Currently Playing:

Rainbow 6: Siege, Kingdom Hearts 2 (1st time), Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

PSN: TraCuz-

colonelkilgore

@TraCuz- yeah, for me (& I get that FromSoft games aren't for everyone) it was pretty much the perfect trailer... I loved what they showed.

As for the graphics, I've mentioned this before but it's the aesthetics and visual style that always floors me about From's output. They've never had the highest resolutions or frame-rates but for me every piece of armour, weapon and location is high-art. I literally spend hours revolving the camera to see how light reflects of the embossed shields etc. I thought it looked beautiful, in a nightmarish-fantasy kinda way.

And the action... frikkin fighting a dragon while on horseback, all the while considering the potential difficulty (very little room for error)... just pure epicness gamified!

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

TraCuz-

@colonelkilgore Same I thought it looked great, and like you said everything is high art. Something about that glowing tree reaching into the heavens is really captivating to me. That dragon looked insane, I've only seen the trailer twice but I was trying to keep an eye out for gameplay differences. It seems like the mount is going to be a part of combat when it comes to evading, it looked like it had a double jump? And maybe started gliding? I also noticed there seems to be a dedicated jump button unlike other Souls' where you have to run then jump. They must've really liked what a jump did for Sekiro, definitely welcomed. Other than that I couldn't tell much, but some attacks look a little more stylized than typical Souls.

Currently Playing:

Black_Swordsman

@TraCuz- I think it's going to be a great game, no question or doubt about that. I do think there may be more progression from Dark Souls in the actual game itself, rather than what has been showcased in this trailer. You should definitely go back to Bloodborne and try and complete it, you can totally cheese a lot of the PvE elements and beating the bosses feels so satisfying that it's totally worth it imo.

TraCuz-

@TheBrandedSwordsman Don't worry friend I have not given up completely on Bloodborne, I'm honestly just waiting it out to see if this rumored PS5 version is ever coming. Plus I'm just way too absorbed into Final Fantasy at the moment to even think about another game, poor MGS4 on the back burner.

Currently Playing:

colonelkilgore

@TraCuz- yeah there was a lot packed into under 3 minutes eh. Glad you liked the look of it.

**** DLC!

Jimmer-jammer

Just want to jump in and add my immeasurable excitement to the pile. Nobody makes games quite like FromSoftware and I couldnā€™t be more happy that From looks to be doing exactly what they do best.

ā€œReason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.ā€ C.S. Lewis

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic