Forums

Topic: Dex's Diner - The Star Wars Topic

Posts 221 to 240 of 810

RogerRoger

@LN78 Heh, I wish! Personally I prefer the Black Series figures, but the Vintage Collection has become quite popular in recent years, and the detail on them is mind-blowing for their scale.

That is an original 2002 Jar Jar from Attack of the Clones, though!

What's even more confusing is that Hasbro have started doing re-releases of the original Star Wars figure moulds from the 70s and 80s, and sticking them in weathered packaging. They also do more modern characters, like Ahsoka Tano and the Mandalorian and whatnot. My local supermarket have a couple out on their shelves, which made me do a double take! It's weaponised nostalgia in the extreme, because the figures themselves don't hold a candle to the above.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

LN78

@RogerRoger I'll have to take a look at those faux vintage figures - they might make nice display pieces if nothing else. Speaking of action figures, I picked this fellow up yesterday. Untitled

Edited on by LN78

LN78

RogerRoger

@LN78 Oh, very nice! You'd been after one of those for a while, hadn't you? Impressive!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

LN78

@RogerRoger Thanks! Would you prefer if I deleted this and put it in the Marvel topic? Just occurred to me that it's a bit "off brand".

LN78

RogerRoger

@LN78 That's kind of you to ask, but honestly, it's not like I own this topic. As far as I'm concerned, you should put whatever you want wherever you want to!

And hey, it's all Disney at the end of the day, right...?!

Making It So Since 1987

LN78

@RogerRoger I'll leave it be, then. My friend is sending me a copy of something called "How Star Wars Conquered the Universe" (or something similar)- she says it's the best book on the subject that she's ever read. I'd never heard of it before. Are you familiar with it?

LN78

nessisonett

@RogerRoger I really love the vintage packaging on those figures! And yeah, I vote that this thread can be where to put non-video game related tat. Star Wars is responsible for all that sci-fi tat after all!

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

RogerRoger

@LN78 Can't say that I have, although it's possible that I've seen or heard it referenced in passing. Sounds like it should be interesting, though! I'd imagine it's examining the wider cultural phenomenon of the franchise, rather than the specific details of any one aspect?

@nessisonett Given all the times I dumped pictures of my Star Wars crud in the gaming tat topic, I think a little balance is more than fair, even without your excellent point about who's to blame!

Making It So Since 1987

LN78

@RogerRoger I would imagine that you're correct - the blurb on the back reads thusly "here for the first time, Chris Taylor tells the complete history of Star Wars - from the difficult birth of the original film, through its sequels and prequels, to the hugely anticipated release of the new trilogy". Then there are a few enthusiastic quotes from The Financial Times, Simon Pegg and a few others. Very intriguing.

LN78

RogerRoger

@LN78 I was with you until the ringing endorsement from Simon Pegg.

All joking aside, that does sound pretty comprehensive, and written at an interesting turning point in the history of the whole thing, as well. Let us know your thoughts, please!

Making It So Since 1987

LN78

@RogerRoger Ha! Pegg and I are certainly on the same page when it comes to the prequels! I'll let you know how I get on - it won't be for a while though. My reading backlog is shamefully extensive.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

RogerRoger

@LN78 Same, so no worries, nor pressure to report back or anything!

Making It So Since 1987

KidRyan

RogerRoger wrote:

@KidBoruto Hey, you're never too old for Star Wars toys! Case in point, my May the Fourth impulse purchases turned up the other day...

That's a very cool haul! I used to own some toys but think I sadly donated them ages ago. I have been tempted to collect some POP! figures and plush toys though.

However I do collect other Star Wars merch already, namely the comic book TPBs (graphic novels). There's also Star Wars manga I plan on getting eventually.

Comics: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Star+Wars&i=stripbooks&rh=...

Manga: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Star+Wars+manga&i=stripbooks&a...

My Anime List | My Video Game Collection

Discord ID: KidRyan89 | Telegram ID: KidRyan

PSN: KidRyan89 | Twitter:

RogerRoger

@KidBoruto Oh wow, they did a Rebels manga?! Thinking about it, that's a perfect choice to adapt. I'm not sure any other separate series, or set of characters, would work quite so well. Despite owning the entire series on Blu-Ray, I'm real tempted to check those books out at some point!

I've picked up a couple of the comic TPBs over the years. Was gifted the Shadows of the Empire one as a kid and absolutely loved it, and I've recently grabbed some of the ones adapting unfinished arcs from The Clone Wars, as well. Need to get around to reading them. Have you been following all this new The High Republic stuff, at least in comic / graphic novel form?

Making It So Since 1987

KidRyan

RogerRoger wrote:

@KidBoruto Oh wow, they did a Rebels manga?! Thinking about it, that's a perfect choice to adapt. I'm not sure any other separate series, or set of characters, would work quite so well. Despite owning the entire series on Blu-Ray, I'm real tempted to check those books out at some point!

I've picked up a couple of the comic TPBs over the years. Was gifted the Shadows of the Empire one as a kid and absolutely loved it, and I've recently grabbed some of the ones adapting unfinished arcs from The Clone Wars, as well. Need to get around to reading them. Have you been following all this new The High Republic stuff, at least in comic / graphic novel form?

There's also a Star Wars Rebels comic with original stories, it's not lazy episode adaptations! Proof: https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Rebels-Martin-Fisher/dp/1506...

I've been collecting The High Republic comics and manga, but I haven't started reading yet. I like to wait until they're finished and then binge read!

My Anime List | My Video Game Collection

Discord ID: KidRyan89 | Telegram ID: KidRyan

PSN: KidRyan89 | Twitter:

LN78

@KidBoruto @RogerRoger Have either of you read the Aaron/Cassaday/Martin Marvel run from a few years back that's set immediately post "A New Hope"? It's excellent.Untitled

Edited on by LN78

LN78

RogerRoger

@KidBoruto Nice, thanks for the heads-up! I think I've seen some panels from the Rebels comic before, but didn't really explore any further at the time.

I freakin' love Rebels. Such a great bunch of characters, and such an awesome show.

Yeah, I totally understand the desire to wait until something's finished. I'm the same with some TV shows and episodic game releases. From what I gather, The High Republic is one giant interconnected story, told across comics, manga, YA novels and other books. I hope that reading one part of it makes enough sense for everything to still be enjoyable!

@LN78 No, I haven't read that, although I've seen that cover art scattered all over the internet, which points to its wider popularity. I'm guessing it overwrites Splinter of the Mind's Eye, then?

Making It So Since 1987

LN78

@RogerRoger I've never read "Splinter" but I know what happens in it. And yes it does. I'm not sure where the new Marvel comics run is in terms of it's status as canon (I guess it must be "official") but I'm assuming all the prior Dark Horse stuff (like the rather entertaining "Dark Empire") has been stricken from the record?

LN78

RogerRoger

@LN78 Yeah, it has. Disney are still happy to sell reprints, but they all come with a big "Legends" banner on the front cover, which identifies them as non-canon. The outcry was loud and immediate, which is why you now get some elements of "Legends" stories being cherry-picked for inclusion in new canon content, like Thrawn (who has been treated rather well, it must be said, with Timothy Zahn commissioned for a series of new novels and consulted on the character's Rebels appearance).

Upon gaining control, the only things Disney protected with canon status were the seven movies and all episodes of The Clone Wars. Everything produced since the takeover (comics, novels, TV shows, videogames, etc.) is tightly controlled by a central story group, and forms the new canon.

I really like Dark Empire. If nothing else, it resurrected Pappa Palps for far more compelling reasons.

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic