Forums

Topic: Dex's Diner - The Star Wars Topic

Posts 101 to 120 of 810

LN78

@RogerRoger That's a potential way forwards but I'm giving serious thought to buying one and then handing the game itself off to the The Gremlins (my niece and nephew) instead of bombarding them with overpriced chocolate eggs in a few weeks time.

LN78

RogerRoger

@LN78 Be warned that most places have sold out of the Deluxe Edition already, so if you can still find one that's available, don't hang around!

If you have no joy and mine arrives intact then seriously, do let me know.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

LN78

@RogerRoger That's so kind of you. I've already had a shop around and I can get one for a little over the sticker price from a couple of places. Is there any reason to suspect that the game won't be any good? The kids aren't super demanding in that regard but my brother might be a little suspicious if I gift them a videogame with a lousy reputation!

Edited on by LN78

LN78

RogerRoger

@LN78 Previews have been very encouraging. Journalists and influencers have played an hour-long demo in recent weeks and all came away beaming. It's a complete reinvention of the LEGO gameplay formula and engine, so it won't feel as outdated or as simplistic as some recent LEGO games have felt. Not sure about specific platforms, and can imagine that the Switch version will have to be severely downgraded in order to fit on a cartridge, probably in terms of graphics instead of cutting out features wholesale.

The game has suffered many developmental delays, and there have been behind-the-scenes stories of crunch and poor management but, as unfortunate as that may be, it makes me confident that nobody's trying to rush out a cheap cash-grab product here. If nothing else, it's gonna be delightful for fans.

That being said, old LEGO games have a reputation for being very glitchy at launch. Whether that's been the fault of the creaky old engine or not... well, this totally fresh start will answer that one.

Sorry, I'm just throwing thoughts at you here! Hope some of them help!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

LN78

@RogerRoger I've just had a look at the official preview video. It looks really terrific actually - very impressed with the textures and lighting effects.

LN78

RogerRoger

@LN78 Glad to hear! I've been avoiding the actual footage myself, but have read some of the write-ups and seen a small handful of screenshots. I also know about some of the returning voice talent.

I'm also thinking that this might be the first time I experience the Star Wars saga (or at least this latest interpretation of it) using "the Rinster order" to start with A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back, and then flash back to the prequels for context before Return of the Jedi. If the game's as big as they say, this'll give me time to get comfortable, and then I'll get to play through my favourite four films in a row. I'm still worried about burnout during the sequels but alas, there's no way to avoid that risk.

Making It So Since 1987

LN78

@RogerRoger I've heard of that viewing order before but it used to be called something different - the machete order or the hatchet order. Something like that, anyway. You'll be pleased to hear I've got a copy of the game on the way. If it ends up getting pretty consistent 9/10 or 10/10 reviews I might even play it myself!

LN78

RogerRoger

@LN78 It's close, but the machete order advocates cutting The Phantom Menace entirely. Regardless of my own personal feelings on that film, it'd be impossible to play the game like that because you're reportedly free to start with any trilogy, but not any individual movie.

Which means you could always just play the original trilogy for yourself, have a few laughs, and then pass your copy along to your niece and nephew! Hope your steelbook arrives safe, at any rate!

Making It So Since 1987

LN78

@RogerRoger That viewing order sounds better already! 😉.

LN78

RogerRoger

@LN78 Yeah, I thought you'd like it.

Making It So Since 1987

RR529

Finally got around to watching the Rise of Skywalker over the weekend.

The big revelation that Rey is a Palpatine could have been a great plot twist (even if they didn't bring "him" back), had it been something they'd been building to since the first film. As it is it just seems very thrown together plot wise (especially since the title crawl literally spoils that "that" character is suddenly back).

That said it's still pretty fun in a big budget popcorn flick kinda way, but I think it definitely could have been more.

Currently Playing:
Switch - Blade Strangers
PS4 - Kingdom Hearts III, Tetris Effect (VR)

RogerRoger

@RR529 Full agreement with regards The Rise of Skywalker there, particularly on that point (no matter how much I adore "that" character, and delighted in seeing him again, you can't escape the fact that he was thrown in at the last minute, for whatever reason).

How would you rank the films, now that you've seen them all? No worries if you're not a ranker!

As for me...

Untitled

11/10 GOTY.

Making It So Since 1987

LN78

@RogerRoger See what I meant about the lighting and textures? So impressive. Mine is due to arrive tomorrow - is the game in a traditional case inside the steelbook by any chance? I've got a couple that are like that.

LN78

RogerRoger

@LN78 I was gonna ask whether yours had arrived yet because, with regards your question (and my previous offer of assistance, I'm sorry to say) I was kinda disappointed. Whenever I've gotten previous special edition steelbooks from GAME before, they've always come as separate, empty accompaniments to a regular boxed copy, but here, it's just the steelbook, with the disc and manual inside.

If you got it from another retailer, there's a chance they might handle it differently, but it looks like you'll be giving your niece and nephew a lonely disc if you wanna keep the steelbook.

And yes, the graphics are superb. Even better in the pre-rendered, tightly-controlled cutscenes!

Making It So Since 1987

LN78

@RogerRoger That's precisely the reason I asked! I'm not going to give them just the disc - so it looks like I'll be keeping it after all. It would be rude not to play it,right?

LN78

RogerRoger

@LN78 I'd say so, yes! Having just cleared A New Hope, I reckon that, even if you just played a third of the game, the experience and the sweet steelbook would more than justify the purchase for you.

I'm just baffled at the whole steelbook decision, s'all. It's the first time I've had to actually use a fancy edition's bonus steelbook since Batman: Arkham Origins on PS3. That assumption was behind our previous discussion so again, sorry for having to withdraw my offer of assistance.

Making It So Since 1987

LN78

@RogerRoger I honestly don't think it's that unusual for the steelbook to be the primary container for the game - at least not in my experience. I've probably got a dozen or so and most of them are in the style of this LEGO game. As you say though it could be contingent on the retailer. Can you turn that HUD off? Major pet hate of mine.

Edited on by LN78

LN78

RogerRoger

@LN78 Guess I've been lucky (or unlucky) with the special editions I've opted for, then!

Most of the HUD is customisable. I think there will be some elements that are ever-present, especially with regards certain mission objectives or combo meters, but a lot of the trackers, icons and pointers can be deactivated, or switched to a semi-permanent mode. I've left some stuff on for my first playthrough (don't wanna get lost in the huge hub maps) but I was pleased to see options to scale it all back later.

It's all on by default (given that it's designed for kids) so visit the settings before starting out, and you should be able to minimise most intrusions from the get-go.

Making It So Since 1987

LN78

@RogerRoger Thanks - that sounds good to me. I really do think dynamic HUD's should be made compulsory especially in the era of OLED displays!

LN78

RogerRoger

Fifteen hours later, and the circle is only 33% complete... but it's getting there.

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Untitled

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic