Forums

Topic: Your Latest PlayStation 5 Purchase

Posts 601 to 620 of 1,692

Voltan

@render @JohnnyShoulder So I'm not sure if it's just it being new vs the other ones being over a year old but the buttons and d-pad (which is important for my fighting games) feel significantly less "mushy" and overall everything feels very nice. I'm currently happy with my purchase

Voltan

Voltan

@Abarth_71 oooooh that’s some serious swag. Is that the new one?

Voltan

render

@Voltan @JohnnyShoulder It probably shows what a hammering these pads take in a year, or even 6 months as that’s when I had mine changed. I blame that on Returnal though 😉

@Abarth_71 Nice wheel. Looks cha-ching?

render

nessisonett

@Abarth_71 Phwoar, wish I had the cash for that! Looks like great fun 👍

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

BAMozzy

@Fragile You noticed? LOL

@Abarth_71 Sweet - I don't take racing games seriously enough to go that far myself...

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

render

I don’t know what happened, I tried the Cyberpunk 2077 trial and… quite enjoyed it. I’ve only played a few hours but so far I’m liking the futuristic environment and the one gun fight I was involved in felt quite good with the haptics and triggers. So I went ahead and bought it with the 50% off. I’m planning on picking it back up after HFW and maybe ER but will see as I might play it on and off.

render

WanderingBullet

BAMozzy wrote:

the hideous 'white' faceplates that make the consoles 'bulk' and 'ugly' design much more obvious...

Agreed. Not a fan of the console's design at all. I think they should've made it either all black or all white to begin with so it doesn't stand out as much.

Edited on by WanderingBullet

Huntin' monsters erryday.

KilloWertz

@WanderingBullet Not saying you're wrong, but I have a pretty good feeling that it was the intention to make the console stand out. I see no other reason for the design other than that. Yes, it had to be big because of the giant heatsink, but that's beside the point.

The console's design has grown on me to the point where I actually like it now and will be keeping the original look rather than getting the midnight black faceplates like I originally intended. I actually had them pre-ordered, but just recently returned them as I like the white faceplates now.

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

BAMozzy

@KilloWertz A lot of the 'design' may well be about 'cost' saving - have a LOT of 'space' inside, you don't need to spend as much money on cooling, on getting the 'heat' away and 'keeping' parts far enough away from each other to reduce the 'build' up too. They didn't 'need' to put everything on one board all spread out, didn't need to leave 'so' much space inside etc - as the 'size' and design of Series X proves.

Now I'm not saying that I would of liked another 'oblong' block, another 'fridge', LOL or another VHS look of the Original XB1 - But I do think Sony could of designed their Console inside a 'smaller' and more useful 'shape'. The fact that it cannot really 'sit' horizontally because of its 'stupid' design is a fundamental flaw in my eyes - and could be 'easily' remedied by supplying a 'swappable' panel for the 'bottom' side panel designed purely as a 'stand' - instead, I have to buy some '3rd Party' clip on stands to do a much better job than Sony's own design. Their 'clip' on stand they 'expect' you to use is completely useless in its Horizontal position.

It would be much better if the 'bottom' side faceplate had been designed to act as a stand in horizontal mode. Its almost as if the 'disc' version too was an afterthought - that they designed the console to be 'discless'. The fact its the 'largest' console made, beating the PS3 Phat and OG XB1, both of which were criticised for their 'size' also says a lot too...

Each to their own of course....

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

R1spam

@johncalmc I know I will be too but will be definitely looking to pick it up April/May time. It looks so cool, the art style is 🔥 and from what I've seen, the enemy ai is next level.

PSN: Tiger-tiger_82
XBOX: Placebo G

PSN: Tiger-tiger_82

colonelkilgore

@johncalmc I don’t know if it’s just me… but your posts always seem to perfectly match your Tommy Lee Jones profile pic. It’s uncanny! 😆

**** DLC!

KilloWertz

@BAMozzy You could say that it might have been able to be smaller, but it is big because of the huge heatsink. I'm sure another version of the system could be smaller if they figure out a solution where shrinking down the heatsink doesn't cause any problems.

I'll give you the stand. It's an absolute piece of garbage that only really works if the system is vertical. Vertical is undoubtedly how the PS5 was designed to stand, but yeah, they could have done a much better job with the stand. Having the bottom faceplate not being flat wouldn't have mattered then.

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

WanderingBullet

@KilloWertz @BAMozzy I'll most likely place it vertically when I do get one cause it does look better standing than laying horizontally.

As for the faceplates, I do wonder if the console would look better if they were exactly the size and shape of the console instead of jutting out.

Huntin' monsters erryday.

BAMozzy

@KilloWertz That heatsink - especially in the redesign isn't all that big in reality. It's quite spread out because that's the 'design' style of the one board - if the APU is quite far from RAM chips and SSD's that also need 'cooling', then it needs to 'reach' those parts too. By having a lot more 'open' space inside, you also don't need as much cooling overall to allow more heat to dissipate naturally - even better with some 'air' flow pushing the warmed air out the exhaust as new 'cooler' is sucked in by fans. It basically allows them to be less concerned about 'overheating' and/or needing 'high speed' fans which can increase 'noise' - something the Pro was terrible for and could sound like a Jet engine taking off.

I am NOT saying they needed to copy Series X, but that has a big Heatsink vapour chamber cooling system and 'splitting' the board in two obviously 'helped' them design a 'similarly' spec machine, with a 'bigger' APU chip to cool, same amount of RAM etc too. Despite its very 'bland' look, its a very well designed console internally and still manages to be extremely quiet too.

Looking at the PS5 design, it seems to me that they designed the Discless first and designed for 'Vertical' placement. The Disc drive messes up that 'symmetry' and balance - its almost as if they chucked it in because they knew that many people aren't ready to go 'full' digital. It also means its more 'unstable' when Horizontal and more likely to be 'interacted' with as you swap discs. That 'stand' may well be just about adequate on the Discless version because its not being interacted with as much and not so lopsided in balance by having a weighty Drive.

The most 'logical' solution to me would be to have a Swappable side Panel designed specifically for the Console in Horizontal mode. Something that would keep the Console stable and 'level', maybe even its 'own' design shape for the disc version (like Series S is a different design) around that board and 'central' core that's 'identical' in both. Its just the Drive and outer casing - something they have to 'change' anyway due to the 'drive'.

In any case, there still doesn't seem to be a reason that it 'wastes' so much space within its design.The faceplates stick out further than necessary creating a larger footprint and overall, it doesn't 'fit' well on many AV units designed for holding 'boxes' on their shelves under the TV. As 'thick' as a Series X is 'Horizontally', My PS5 is almost as tall but obviously a lot longer and deeper. With the 'space' at the back needed to plug in cables, its almost hanging off the front of the shelf its that 'deep', takes up more shelf space than my Series X and two fairly large external USB drives.

I know its a personal thing but when design overtakes the 'functionality' of the product, then I think its a fundamental flaw. As 'boring' as the Series X looks, its functionality is not impacted - you can easily swap between horizontal and Vertical alignment, its stable in any position with no need to mess with 'stands'. Its not too big that it won't fit on your shelf or desktop either - its a 'simple' design that just 'works' however you want to use it.

The one thing I will give Sony some Kudos for is their Customisation options. I know I really dislike 'white' consoles and it can be 'disappointing' when a great Custom Console releases but your stuck with the same 'stock' model you bought day 1. At least you can easily change that colour to suit your decor, preference etc. I could see games releasing with 'limited edition' faceplates instead of releasing a complete 'Limited Edition' Custom PS5 console but I really think Sony's design itself isn't that great. I still think they should be the ones making a Custom Faceplate designed specifically for those who want their $500 console to sit horizontally and be 'stable' in that orientation - not rely on 3rd Parties to offer a solution to fix that design 'flaw'.

Col_McCafferty

Series X is bland af, Series S is kinda cute though.

I don't like the horizontal stand with the PS5 but other than that, I think it's pretty cool. Some people act as if Sony forced them to buy their new console.

🙄

Col_McCafferty

BAMozzy

@Col_McCafferty Series X is Bland AF but at least its compact and likely to fit stably on any shelf, AV unit etc however you want to use it.

The PS5 on the other hand is the opposite. Sony doesn't 'force' anyone to buy - but its not as if you have ANY choice if you want to play certain games. The only way I can play R&C or the 'best' versions of H:FW etc is by buying the PS5 (or wait until Sony bring out a 'Slim' edition which could be 3+ yrs after launch (if they do at all). I didn't like the PS3 'phat' very much either as that too was too big to fit 'comfortably' on the AV shelving I had at that time - but at least it was 'stable' when horizontal and didn't stand out like an ugly monolith so much as the 'black' helped.

I don't know how else I could play all the PS games I'll want to play releasing in the 'future' without buying a PS5 and as Sony only gives us 1 option (at least if you want a 'disc drive'), you have NO choice but to buy their 'ugly' monolith.

If you don't like the design of a Series S or X, you don't 'need' to buy either to play Xbox games as they'll all release on PC and 'many' (if not all) will also be released on their 'Cloud' to so you don't even need capable hardware to play - in fact, you can play on Android/iOS Mobile/Tablets, non-gaming Laptops/PC's and even last gen Xbox consoles. Point is, if you don't 'like' the Console(s) for whatever reason, then you have other options to play the games you want.

I really disliked the design of the OG XB1 too - another rather unnecessarily large box with an external Power Supply too but the Series S/X was much better designed than Sony's PS4 Slim/Pro in my opinion - the sloping front/back just added a larger footprint and as such, my Pro wouldn't fit in my shelf without overhanging at the front.

I do like a 'creative' design over a 'bland' box, but I do think that the 'design' has to be 'functional' first. A bland 'fridge' like box is perhaps a bit too much 'function' over design but I prefer that to having something more 'aesthetically' pleasing, but its 'function' is impacted.

Even if Sony kept the same console shape, their stand is 'barely' adequate at best, and completely useless at worse - not a 'great' design. The 'bottom' plate, being removable, would of allowed Sony to 'design' a replacement to support the Console when horizontal - maybe even designed their Disc based model differently so its stable in both Vertical and Horizontal modes.

Yes we have a 'choice' whether to buy their console or not but no choice if you want to play ALL Playstation games and at the 'best' visual quality and/or performance so you have to put up with their design...

colonelkilgore

@BAMozzy I always liked the idea of standing my consoles vertically ever since the PS2 had a swivel badge for just that purpose. Trouble was, I thought the PS2, PS3 and PS4 all ‘looked’ better horizontally. The PS5 is finally a PlayStation that looks far better stood up, than lying down. It gets a lot more air that way too as it’s stood on my TV unit next to my TV, rather than enclosed in a boxed/shelved compartment/section of furniture.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic