Forums

Topic: Your Latest PlayStation 5 Purchase

Posts 1,561 to 1,580 of 1,739

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder Me too. I know some people just sprint through the main story all at once and then go back and mop up all the map and side content in bulk at the end but I can never make myself do that.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Ravix

@Th3solution yeah, that is how I play. I can't just rush through, which was the awkward thing at first, as it didnt seem like there was a lot to do other than main quests, and the side content was a bit bad in places in the school area. I was just forcing myself to catch pages and collect stones etc just to delay the main story lol.

It's definitely starting to click now, though. I ended up not quite advancing far enough into the story doing this, but as soon as I did the bit where you go to meet someone outside of school grounds, in the lower hamlet, the music changed (clearly very TW3 inspired music at that point) and I got a taste of the open world as there were a few quests available, roaming enemies, puzzles etc.

I think I just assumed the open world is for when you have a mount or broom, but I saw one quest was level 2 and I was 12, so I thought i'd best get on it lol. So I took a stroll, fought some open world enemies (finally) and then sneaked into a camp, the quest was over at that point, kind of, but I decided to fight everyone in the camp anyway and realised the enemies had actually scaled above me, 14, which made it the first real gauntlet challenge with many, many enemies coming at once, and in stages. Only needed the one Wiggenweld, so I'm definitely getting the hang of things now.

Still slightly wary of how much story will be to come, as nothing much has happened so far and the percentage to completion is climbing but the world is opening up for other stuff to do, and it feels more like a proper game now.

Edited on by Ravix

When it seems you're out of luck.
There's just one man who gives a f*************ck
⚔️🛡🐎

Jimmer-jammer

@Ravix Sorry for the delay…yeah, everything @Th3solution said. The main story is fairly lengthy so I don’t think you need to worry about running out of story. That’s not to say a huge amount happens in it but it’s entertaining enough. Lot’s of side quests too, 30 hours in I was still unlocking new things as some content such as breeding and the like are tied to certain quest completion. It’s a game I’ve actually been picking my way through slowly over months and that’s been a very enjoyable way for me to move through it. Got sorted into Hufflepuff off the hop and just ran with it.

“Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning.” C.S. Lewis

Th3solution

@Ravix You might have figured this out already, but try to open up new spell diamonds as soon as possible so you’re not having to remap your spells so often. I suggest early skill points should be used there. Soon you’ll have so many spells and you want to be able to try and access them all.

In combat the color of the spell is the main significant factor, but when you’re solving puzzles, you might need to be lighting something on fire or freezing something or making rune flip, so you’ll need to be able to access most of them, even if you don’t like using a certain spell in combat, if that makes sense.

Also, as you’ve discovered, the game throws copious amounts of outfitting at you with robes, scarfs, wands, hats, glasses, and whatnot. It’s really easy as you go through a dungeon to run out of slots in the inventory, so you’ll want to prioritize doing the Merlin Trials early on because those open up more inventory. There’s loads of those Merlin trials scattered around and they become tedious eventually, but early on it will save you headaches if you can open up more inventory. Trust me.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Ravix

@Jimmer-jammer @Th3solution sounds about right. Like I say, it's kind of clicked with me now so I can treat it like a normal open world game, and that usually means playing for a few months at a slower pace, exploring a little more in depth from time to time.

I'd noticed the spell slot thing. It seemed like an absolutely unforgivable QoL failure on their part, but at least you can unlock some slots. It makes naff all sense logically that if you know and can perform 10 spells that you can only actually choose from 4 at a time, however lol. Just a mechanic for mechanics sake, and holding R2 and pushing right to toggle between Attack/Defence and Utility spells should have just been a thing from the start. I can disarm you and set you on fire, but want me to light up a dark corner? Let me stop and concentrate for a minute while I try to remember the spell 🙄😆

Yeah, Merlin Trials I found naturally on my trip to lower hogsfield, I'd sold a bunch of stuff on two occasions and dismantled some stuff before then, so it was a welcome sight to see it unlocked space. Considering it's maybe my second day as a student, I'm quite rich and powerful with all those items I'd found 😁

When it seems you're out of luck.
There's just one man who gives a f*************ck
⚔️🛡🐎

Th3solution

@Ravix Yeah, I wish I had a nickel for every time I accidentally fired up Lumos in the middle of an intense combat scenario. 😂 Sometimes you’re just smashing spells as fast as you can and misfire like that.

Oh, and it won’t come for you for a while (I think it opens up probably past the midway point or further toward the end) but be sure to play the PS5 exclusive extra mission “Haunted Hogsmeade Shop”. It’s a bit confusing because when you get to that point the marker will show up in Hogsmeade and the quest to start it will be called “Minding Your Own Business.” Once you do that it opens up into the full exclusive side quest. It’s actually quite meaty, like maybe an hour or two of content, and in my opinion it’s one of the best quests in the game, actually.

Max_Headroom

Witcher Wild Hunt 3 complete edition.

Max_Headroom

colonelkilgore

Murdered: Soul Suspect
Beyond a Steel Sky
The Expanse
Rogue Legacy 2
Tchia I did buy a copy off Amazon a couple of months back but they sent the PS4 copy by mistake, so returned it… had the PS4&PS5 digital today
Oxenfree 2: The Lost Signals

**** DLC!

LtSarge

@colonelkilgore Nice haul there, especially The Expanse. Have you watched the TV show by any chance? I absolutely loved it so I definitely need to buy the game ASAP.

LtSarge

colonelkilgore

@LtSarge I think we were about 3 seasons through the last time we watched some… we need to return to it as it goes. Yeah a good sci fi show for sure.

**** DLC!

Walrus_Slapper

Recently bought Mass Effect:LE in the sale for £5.99. I already had it from PS Plus but hot damn I love it so much already and only on the first one!

My missus wanted the new Avatar game so I bought that and EA WRC (really excited for this one!) as my last purchases of 2023.

New Years resolution is to buy no games in 2024....gonna clear the backlog!

Walrus_Slapper

Kraven

I don’t necessarily have a new PS5 game purchase, but I did manage to get a PlayStation Portal today at my local GameStop while on my lunch break, so I’m stoked about that.

Edited on by Kraven

Kraven

colonelkilgore

Wow they’re really pushing Sea of Stars this morning, that’s the third notification I’ve had via the PSN app this morning that it is on sale. I get that the game is good… which is why I have it on my wishlist but chill 🤷‍♂️

@Kraven nice dude congrats… I’ve been keeping an eye out for one in the UK but no joy as of yet.

**** DLC!

Th3solution

@colonelkilgore Yeah, I’m annoyed at the PS App, as I get those repeat notifications too, as well as the strange phenomenon when they drip-feed notifications about each of the games on my wishlist that are on sale, so every time I open the app it notifies me about a different game, rather than giving me one notification for all the games on my list on sale all at once.

Otherwise, I like the app. I love that I can pull up my trophy list or game library anywhere. Not to mention the ability to make purchases or claims in the PS store from the app. And every now and then I’ll use the “download to console” button to preload a game onto my drive so it’s ready to go when I get home.

edwinjoe450

The Expanse finally went on sale, nabbed it.

edwinjoe450

colonelkilgore

@Th3solution d’u know what sol you’re absolutely right mate… the apps great as a general rule and has been a brilliant ad hoc tool to the hobby. I suppose that can forgive a day of constant notifications… just a day though or I’ll be back posting negative diatribes once more 😉

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

Th3solution

I must have missed this, or maybe it hasn’t been reported on, but thought I’d post a PSA —

I was tidying up my wishlist today and noticed that Final Fantasy VII Rebirth has an option to buy it as the “Twin Pack” which is a bundle of FF7 Remake Intergrade along with Rebirth and it’s listed at the same price — $69.99. So whether you just buy Rebirth or buy the pack which includes Remake Intergrade, it’s the same price, basically getting the first game and it’s DLC for free. Of course this is just on the PSN for the digital copy, and I don’t know about whether buying Rebirth on disc has any options like that to get the first game free.

Just thought I’d put that out there if there’s anyone who’s yet to play the first game and is interested to jump on when Rebirth releases. Two full games including one DLC for $70 is a pretty nice deal. I think this is a great approach for sequels. There’s really no point to play the second game without having played the first.

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Whilst I agree that such a move makes a lot of sense, that deal feels alarmingly generous, to the point of being an error! I'll check my PS Store later and see if it's still there.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic