Forums

Topic: Your Latest PlayStation 5 Purchase

Posts 1,281 to 1,300 of 1,692

CJD87

@RogerRoger Immortals is actually a quality game, and I wish Ubisoft would gamble more on new IPs like this….!

It is a little derivative at times, and borrows heavily from Breath of the Wild, but the gameplay mechanics are decent and the vault challenges are pretty fun.

It’s basically a pretty decent Ubisoft spin on BotW, but in the best possible way. I played it on Switch during the pandemic and got a good 80ish hours out of the main game and DLC

It’s a good time!

CJD87

sorteddan

@RogerRoger
Blimey that is cheap.

I must not buy games just because they're cheap.

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

colonelkilgore

SD Gundam Battle Alliance, The Forgotten City, Shadowrun Trilogy and The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing.

Edit. Victor Vran

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

RogerRoger

@Voltan @CJD87 Thanks! I believe you are indeed the fine folks I was referring to above, so I'm grateful for the reinforced endorsement. I may try and get around to it a little sooner (although I won't be starting anything massive until after Jedi: Survivor now). Might be perfect for over the summer!

@sorteddan I know, right?! Usually I scan those sale pages and shrug at everything that's on offer, but this leapt out as a particularly good deal (even moreso, given that I'm gaming on a budget nowadays). Of course, if I like the base game, there's a danger that I'll end up paying more for its DLC, but that'll be a judgement call as and when. At any rate, I admire your self-restraint!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Although I ran out of steam with it, Immortals was really fun for the first dozen or so hours I played it. It fell victim to other shiny new distractions, but I feel motivated to go back to it someday. I’m not sure if I will at this point though, given the insane release schedule this year to add to my already existing library.

I never played BotW, so can’t compare, but the gameplay has that open world wandering comfort-food quality and the combat isn’t half bad. The real distinguishing aspect is the humor though. I wasn’t expecting to laugh out loud but the game has some decent writing once you give in to the fact that it doesn’t take itself too seriously. The levity coupled with a polished AAA developed open world is a combination that’s rare in gaming. But, fair warning, humor is definitely very subjective so it’s equally possible that you may find it unamusing, especially in the opening hours.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Voltan

@Th3solution Yeah, the humor was often bordering on cringe and while to me it never really crossed that line, others might feel otherwise.
For me though, it was the focus on many kinds of mostly well designed puzzles that made the game so fun.

Voltan

Th3solution

@Voltan As I was writing that post, I was trying to think of other games that have done humor well and it’s a short list. Of course well-written dramatic games like The Last of Us have a couple funny comedy-relief moments (God of War also comes to mind) but there are surprisingly few consistently witty games out there. Or maybe I’m just missing them. Ratchet & Clank comes to mind as having solid silliness and humor. Guardians of the Galaxy nailed it pretty well imo. Other than that…. Uncharted? Nate has some good one-liners. I had more than one chuckle while recently playing The Stanley Parable, so that’s definitely a good one. Oh, and the pinnacle has to be Portal 2.

Edit: I forgot Borderlands. There was a lot of genuine funny dialogue in those games, although plenty of cringe as well.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Voltan

@Th3solution Portal 2 is an absolute classic. If we go all the way back, many of the old point and click adventures (Day of the Tentacle, Monkey Island, etc) are very funny. In more modern examples I'd definitely include Psychonauts!

Voltan

Th3solution

@Voltan I really should play the Psychonauts games. Especially the second game garnered a lot of praise.

RogerRoger

@Th3solution I'm grateful for the humour highlight. From the lil' bit of double-checking I did before completing my order, the game's levity held the most appeal, and was probably what sealed the deal. Because you're right, genuinely funny games are few-and-far-between nowadays. Those that commit to comedy are often aimed at a younger audience, so the gameplay is basic and becomes monotonous after a while. The promise of an open-world sandbox with solid combat, puzzles and traversal and a sense of humour should hold my interest (even if it struggled to hold yours; again, thanks for the warning on that, which reaffirms my decision not to start it this close to a potential GOTY's release).

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Bentleyma

Randomly decided to buy Octopath Traveller II. I’ve been on the fence for a while now and I fancied another JRPG after finishing Trails to Azure. Going to finish Resident Evil 4, then I’ll crack on with it.

Bentleyma

PSN: Bentleyma-

LtSarge

Just ordered Borderlands 3: Ultimate Edition for €20. Saw that it was on sale and I just had to get it, even though I still haven't even played through Borderlands 2 yet.

Also recalled now that I bought the Metroidvania title F.I.S.T: Forged In Shadow Torch a week ago on a PS Store sale for €15. It looks so good and I almost missed out on getting it because I heard the PS4 version was terrible. Now that I have a PS5, it should be a much better experience on it!

LtSarge

CaptD

@LtSarge Nice. I've been looking at that F.I.S.T game for a while and waiting for it to be a PS+ game
I was going to start Borderlands 3 as it has just joined the PS++ library but then Randy Pitchfork asked people on twitter if they wanted it for psvr2 which threw a spanner in the works and now I don't know what to do.
Anyway they both look top games.

CaptD

Th3solution

@LtSarge Borderlands 2 was really fun actually. I don’t even like FPS, but it was a good time. I should check out BL3 some day.

LtSarge

@CaptD It does seem like everything comes to PS+ eventually lol.

Ah interesting, didn't know that there has been talks about a VR version. It could definitely be worth waiting for that version!

@Th3solution I loved Borderlands 1 and the gameplay loop as a whole but Borderlands 2 is one of those cursed games for me that I've been trying to play through numerous times but I always end up losing interest after a couple of hours. It would be such a huge personal accomplishment if I could ever beat that game, lol. Well, now I have more reason to finish it so that I can get to the third game.

LtSarge

Bentleyma

@LtSarge I played the PS4 version and had a blast. It’s such a good game. Definitely worth £15. Just talking about it makes me want to play the PS5 version.

Bentleyma

PSN: Bentleyma-

nathanSF

Your Zen Pinball review mentioning table bundles could be bought separately from the subscription had me clicking over to the Playstation store to buy the Marvel bundle. Had fun with a few of the tables. Good game to drop into every now and then.

IwriteSci-Fi

Twitter:

JohnnyShoulder

@LtSarge @Th3solution Borderlands 3 might my next main game I start. Really enjoyed Borderlands 2 and slighty less so the Pre-Sequel.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

sorteddan

Just purchased a physical copy of Dredge for PS5. Don't usually enjoy the fishing parts in other games but something about this title is compelling me to play it.

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

CaptD

Nice @sorteddan , been hearing very good things about that game but I refuse to watch any video as it seems like that would spoil the mystery.
Enjoy.

CaptD

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic