Forums

Topic: Your Latest PlayStation 5 Purchase

Posts 1,201 to 1,220 of 1,701

Voltan

I found a 2nd hand copy of Gotham Knights with a steelbook at about 50% of standard edition's price, so I got that. I played the PS Plus trial and thought it seemed alright even if combat wasn't up to Arkham games' standards.

Voltan

JoeyBudderz

@sorteddan true but she don’t talk n i skip the cut scenes lol

You may not like video games, but what I learned from them is this: no enemies in front of you means that you are going in the wrong way.

BearsEatBeets

The Game Collection are doing another weekend discount so finally pre-ordered Resident Evil 4 Remake. I was just going to pick it up on release but I'll take the opportunity to get it a few quid cheaper as I have full faith in Capcom.
Going to continue with my efforts to reduce my backlog until it releases.

BearsEatBeets

PSN: leejon5

RogerRoger

@BearsEatBeets Yeah, these Resi remakes are as certain a bet as you can get nowadays. I've just finished watching a playthrough of the original Resi 4 and can only imagine how atmospheric the remake's gonna be. Here's hoping it doesn't disappoint, but I'm pretty sure it won't.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

BearsEatBeets

@RogerRoger When I did a fair few replays of RE2 Remake for trophies a little while ago I remembered thinking how solid they are. I can't recall ever experiencing a bug playing the series. Like you say, nothing is guaranteed but I have a lot of confidence in Capcom. Especially as I loved both the 2 & 3 Remakes. It must be several years since I played the original so really looking forward to it.

BearsEatBeets

RogerRoger

@BearsEatBeets I've also watched the Resi 2 Remake on YouTube and was struck by how smoothly it ran and presented itself so yeah, so long as it's the same team, I reckon it'll be another winner. A lot of folks count Resi 4 amongst their favourites from the series. Would you say the same?

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Apologies for butting in, but your question was in my mind this last week. I finished my main game Dark Souls and so I had a little time to go potentially go back and finish off some dangling games that I haven’t completed, RE4 among them. Weirdly, I’ve had trouble getting into RE4. After thoroughly enjoying RE1-3, I’m not feeling it with RE4. I know it’s most people’s favorite, but every time I have a chance to play it I can’t bring myself to go back and so I play something else. I think it’s the way the tankish controls impair the more action style shooting and navigation. I’m just not a very skilled gamer anyways, and my brain and my hands just aren’t reacting well to the way RE4 plays and so it’s just not been fun for me. One of these days I’ll go back to it when my mood is really, really there but I’m struggling with it now.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

BearsEatBeets

@RogerRoger RE 2 was my favourite, whilst I thought 4 was great it was the start of tipping more heavily into the action side of things. Plus I think the first two were just in that period with the PS1 where I truly fell in love with gaming and the unique new games we were getting. RE 2 and Tomb Raider were and remain high points in my gaming history.

@Th3solution as I mentioned I haven't played 4 in a long time, possibly since it first came to playstation so I imagine going back to it's dated controls now could be quite off-putting. If the remake plays as well as the other remakes though (and I don't see why it wouldn't) it should be a slick experience.

Once I've finished killing everyone off in Until Dawn I'm going to try for more trophy runs in RE3 Remake and possibly RE 7 and 8 before 4 comes out.

BearsEatBeets

kyleforrester87

@Th3solution The main thing to learn about RE4 that made it a lot more enjoyable for me back in the day, is to learn to shoot enemies in the legs/knees to drop them and then run up and melee. Then when they are down, knife out, stab-stab-stab. If you try to kill everyone with guns it's not going to go very well, especially early game.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Interesting! I'm guessing that the revolutionary leap forward Resi 4 represented back in the day has become a victim of its own success. I get the impression that gaming in general has adopted a lot of its mechanics and refined them in the years since (and still uses them to this day) whereas the fixed camera perspective and total tank controls of the PSone originals have gone the way of the dodo. There must be some kind of mental difference between approaching an entirely retro experience and trying to play early prototype of what could otherwise be mistaken for a modern game. I guess Resi 4 was more of a stepping stone than it looks, because watching it played doesn't convey that same awkwardness.

@BearsEatBeets Yeah, I know what you mean. Despite all the advances made since, I'll still want to play the original Tomb Raider from time to time. I thoroughly enjoyed the original Resi 2 a couple years back, as well, so I know of its quality even pre-remake. Was quite excellent. Good choice!

Making It So Since 1987

Thrillho

@Th3solution Back in the day you could have always bought yourself a controller specifically for playing Resident Evil (different shaped grips and all!)

Untitled

Or if you thought that the controls for RE4 weren’t difficult enough, why not play the game using a chainsaw instead??

Untitled

Thrillho

Th3solution

@Thrillho yikes! That makes my head hurt. I can’t even play with offset sticks because my muscle memory is so ingrained. I can’t imagine if the R2 button was put where circle is and the other shoulder buttons are… in the center?! No way. And that chainsaw controller is the kind of novelty that looks way cooler sitting there than if you were actually using it. 😂

@RogerRoger Yes, I think you’ve captured my meaning precisely. It feels like some of the first real attempts at what we have in the modern gaming space, but in retrospect it’s more of a half-step toward the current action shooter. Watching it is a little different than playing it, in my experience.

Some people are better at reprogramming their brains though, and as we’ve established, I’m an average gamer at best so my twitch muscles push back in defiant opposition to such adjustments.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Hey, if you're an average gamer, then I've got no chance, mate! Best of luck if you do decide to persevere, though. This close to the remake, and with their solid reputation, I don't think anybody would blame you for abandoning the original and making a pre-order instead.

@Thrillho I visited a general nerd shop which had one of those Resi 4 chainsaw controllers pride of place in a glass cabinet, with a three-figure price tag beside it. When I started chatting to the proprietor and she realised that I was a gamer, she mentioned it and I could tell she was caught between wanting to make a sale and wanting to keep it for herself, so I quickly reassured her that I had no interest in it before grabbing a few extra things to try and compensate.

Making It So Since 1987

Thrillho

@RogerRoger I came perilously close to buying one of the chainsaws as a student when they were first around but luckily realised how pointless it actually was.

Thrillho

Bentleyma

Just pre-ordered Resident Evil 4. I just so happen to have the week off that it’s released, so can’t wait to get stuck in.

Bentleyma

PSN: Bentleyma-

oliverp

@Bentleyma Cool I hope you will like the game I have myself picked up a couple of Resident Evil titles during the last few weeks.

oliverp

kyleforrester87

I got the Dead Space remake - sort of a gift to myself as my birthday is around now. I really love the franchise but it still really stung to spend £65 on a game I’ve essentially already played a few times.

I’m in the medical bay, going to take it slowly and enjoy it. It’s impressive - I don’t regret the purchase really. Hope we get Dead Space 2 next!

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic