Forums

Topic: When do you predict that "everyone" will be able to buy a PS5?

Posts 321 to 340 of 417

Unlucky13

LOL @ Wal-Mart.

I got an email from that, saying "Are you still interested in the item you were looking at? Ready to put it into your cart and check out?"

I wish, Wal-Mart. I wish.

Unlucky13

Unlucky13

So, 13 months after I started this thread, does anyone want to put up new predictions? Do you think that PS5's will be easy to come by by the end of 2022? Some point sooner? Or sometime in 2023 or later?

Unlucky13

nessisonett

@Unlucky13 Given the chip shortage due to pandemic, Chinese relations with the west, crypto morons et al, I’m gonna plump for ‘never’.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Th3solution

@Unlucky13 If Spartacus ends up being a home run, it might actually get worse.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Unlucky13

@Th3solution I'm sorry, I don't know what Spartacus is. I did a Google search of that and Playstation, and only came up with a game from 2013. I'm guessing that's not what you mean.

Unlucky13

Th3solution

@Unlucky13 Sorry, I should have referred to it as Project Spartacus, but yeah like @Iver says, it’s Sony’s answer to Xbox GamePass, although everything is rumor and speculation still. Supposedly we’ll get an announcement soon about it.

We all suspect it’s mainly GamePass that’s moving units on the Xbox side, so if Sony does something like it, presumably it will make having a PS5 even more attractive. But let’s be honest, the real reason demand for PS5 is going to go up this year is because of Horizon Forbidden West, GT7, and GoW Ragnarok. Even though they are all cross gen, people will want to have a PS5 to play them.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Unlucky13

@Th3solution @Iver Thank you guys. I had forgotten that they'd talked about that because I have zero interest in it. I do understand that others will, and that makes sense. Hopefully it comes along after my PS5s get to the market!

I also personally am only going to play the new games on PS5, so I'm one of those who's waiting for one on that reason too.

Unlucky13

Th3solution

@Unlucky13 In the hypothetical situation where I wasn’t lucky and didn’t have a PS5 (like your current situation), then I think I’d be waiting to buy any of these new cross-gen titles until I could play them on PS5. I know HFW, GT7, and GoW will probably run fine on PS4, but I want to experience them to the fullest. I’d spend the time playing games locked on PS4.
But if the current PS5 shortages stay this bad or get worse, it may be the only way to play these games for the next year or so.

Ryall

Unfortunately the question when will supply chains normalise is essentially the same as when will the pandemic end. We can’t Know answer. But we do know these things are temporary and will end.

We are starting to see graphics cards come out on the 6 nm process. So The slim should be coming soon and that will mean the materials needed to produce a PS5 will reduce along with the space needed to ship it. If the slim comes out at the end of this year hopefully it will be readily available by the middle of next.

I also think it will be easier to get one this summer. But you aren’t going to find one through serendipty alone this year.

Ryall

Unlucky13

@Th3solution Sadly, I've had issues with all of the PS4 games I've played recently on my standard model. I just finished Biomutant, and even though it was in development for years before the PS5 came out and isn't graphically intense, it still had issues with shadows, lighting and too many characters on the screen, and would crash regularly. Unfortunately, I'm going to just minimize what I play for the time being and wait it all out. Being frustrated and disappointed by games is worse than not having them.

Unlucky13

Th3solution

@Unlucky13 That’s too bad. I do feel confident that the first party stuff will work fine. They just won’t have all the high fidelity graphics, frame rate, and load times. At least they shouldn’t crash or glitch, I would hope. I don’t remember a time when a first party game was severely dysfunctional; most of the poorly implemented software comes third party.

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution Returnal had a few issues early on and I believe Ratchet and Clank did also, but I didn't pay much attention to the latter. But yeah generally Sony's first party output is generally solid in that regards.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

nessisonett

@Th3solution I’ve had both Spider-Man games crash on me about 4 or 5 times. I think I’ve actually had more issues with first-party games than third-party games on my PS5.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Th3solution

@nessisonett I haven’t played Spider-Man on PS5 yet, so that’s interesting and a good point. And yes, like @JohnnyShoulder says Rift Apart had a few small hiccups early I think, so maybe Insomniac was really pressed for time and bit off more than they could chew. And that’s a good shout about Returnal since there was plenty of technical pitfalls early on, with the one patch that did completely break the game for some. In all fairness Housemarque wasn’t a first party studio at the time.

I might have selective memory loss, but the PS4 software has seemed very stable though, which is kind of the point I’m making. If someone is going to be forced to play these cross-gen titles on a PS4 because they can’t get a PS5 then I expect the PS4 version to perform well and not be a Cyberpunk situation or what sounds like happened with Biomutant. We’ll see though, because HFW looks pretty ambitious.

zupertramp

@Unlucky13 I'm guessing we'll see a time when demand ebbs before chip production catches up. Presumably there are people out there that aren't all that interested in game consoles right? Right?

I mean if the ps5 is selling better than the ps4 and the ps4 was fairly readily available doesn't that mean ... well... something about how long demand can stay so high.

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

PhhhCough

Klassen's Mercedes-Benz Sprinter Van is one way to get a ps5😄😂😅😭

PhhhCough

Unlucky13

@zupertramp I think that the reasons are four-fold.

1) Sony did an amazing job of marketing the console and getting the community hyped up. While I personally was excited and fixated on it the same way that I was for the PS2, PS3 and PS4, (and the SNES way back in the day) it seemed to me that many more people than in the past were the same this time around.

2) The lineup of games in the first 18 months is absolutely spectacular. It really crushes what was there to be had in the same time period of all of those other console releases. And again, Sony and their partners have done a great job getting people hyped about it.

3) The pandemic, scalpers, the lack of ability to buy consoles in stores, and the global chip shortage have all played a part in making it an extremely hard to get item, which sometimes has the effect of making some people want it even more, and they'll buy it to make sure that they get one rather than wait.

4) Backwards compatibility and upscaling of PS4 games. This is just huge. Even if you can't or aren't buying new games for the system, the allure of making the games you already own better is a big deal for a lot of people. So much that some buy or want a PS5 without even buying the new games.

Edited on by Unlucky13

Unlucky13

zupertramp

@Unlucky13 all very true. kinda just wishful thinking on my part. if it's just a matter of waiting for the chip shortage to abate then I'm guessing early-ish 2023. Walk into a store available? I'm not sure. Maybe. But even then manufacturers have mentioned shortages will still probably come in waves after that.

Surely retailers might like to have them in their store for this year's Christmas holiday shopping season but who knows.

@PhhhCough that's quite the bundle.

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

zupertramp

Sony Cuts PlayStation 5 Sales Expectations Due To Global Chip Shortage

https://kotaku.com/ps5-playstation-5-sony-chip-shortage-semic...

The most relevant paragraph:

"Sony is building up its PS5 inventory, but expects the component shortages to continue for the time being. It could be especially hard to find a PS5 during the first half of the year. This is hardly a surprise—as Kotaku reported last fall, the global chip shortage was expected to continue in 2022. It might even go on longer than that. Intel previously stated semiconductor shortages could continue until 2023."

Unlucky13

@zupertramp A year ago this week, Sony said that they hoped to sell 26m PS5s between April 2022 and April 2023. But given that they're now saying that they'll sell 3.2m fewer units in the fiscal year leading up to that than they planned, I wonder how much smaller those upcoming projections are going to be.

The news all sucks, but I'm glad to be updated and informed. Its still better than being in the dark, which was had been for months before now.

Unlucky13

Sorry, this topic has been locked.