Forums

Topic: When do you predict that "everyone" will be able to buy a PS5?

Posts 301 to 320 of 417

Unlucky13

@redd214 I just want to buy ONE for myself, that's all. And the whole point of this thread that I started was I want to do it without having to jump through 100 hoops and spend my life online to make that happen. For me, it seems pretty impossible and hopeless.

And besides, online purchases, in my experience, are only ones that you can buy at your local store for pickup, unless you do it through Amazon. I don't understand how else someone buys one. Target, Best Buy and Walmart's websites/aps, only allow that one option.

Unlucky13

redd214

@Unlucky13 I've had units shipped from Amazon, Best Buy, Gamestop, Walmart and others to my home without having to leave. Only ones that were buy online and pickup at the store were Target.

It's no where near impossible and you don't have to "live online". It obviously requires more effort than previous consoles but if you aren't willing to jump thru one or two hoops than I don't know what to tell ya man. Hundreds of videos and resources on best practices and methods to aquire one, once again if you aren't willing to spend the effort than so be it. It was more of a hassle for me to get a replacement driver's license than get a ps5 lol!

Not trying to bash you or come across jerkish, so apologies if it may seems as such. Good luck!

redd214

zupertramp

@redd214 but why did you secure them for other people?

Because you're willing to jump through hoops. And if you're jumping through hoops, it's because they're harder to find. What is with you guys denying this? Like are you securing tvs for other people? Headphones? Digital cameras? Anything?

There's a console/gpu/chip stock shortage article every other week (in general, not just here). What do you get out of pretending otherwise? And I'm not even cross about it. Just bewildered.

I had to drive an hour to get mine because Best Buy wouldn't ship to me. And was only able to secure it at all because i had their premium membership. Like, what's wrong with admitting it's a crap shoot? Which is why other people you know don't want to fuss with it.

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

zupertramp

@Unlucky13 market size matters. that's just the facts which is why ignored that comment. Like if people don't get the idea that the existence of a go to guy in and of itself signifies shortage i don't know what else to say.

Anyway I hear what you my mean on the games. I still say wait but I totally understand that impulse also.

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

redd214

@zupertramp I'm not pretending anything. As I said it certainly requires more effort than stumbling randomly upon one while leisurely strolling through a store. However it's not some gargantuan task that is impossible, I'm proof of that. A phone, a Twitter account, and a credit card is all you really need.

Reason for securing so many, big famines on both my wife's and my side. 8 siblings between us and dozens of cousins with kids etc etc. Just helping out my friends and family (plus some boredom lol) was/is my only motivation.

Best buy has stock as I'm typing this if any is still looking!

Edit: Sony will have stock on their site later today. Follow this link to get registered/notified and have a opportunity to buy:

https://www.playstation.com/en-us/ps5/register-to-buy/?s=09

Edited on by redd214

redd214

zupertramp

@redd214 you're pretending their plentiful but also hard to get.

It can't be both.

Edit: also the spirit of the thread seems clearly to be asking when can one leisurely stroll through the store and get one. We're simply not there. Any other commentary to the contrary is fairly unhelpful and off topic.

Edited on by zupertramp

redd214

@zupertramp right on bud, here's to hoping they continually and gradually get easier and easier to get just as they have over the last year

redd214

Ryall

I got my Xbox One like that back in the summer of 2015. My local food shop had a few sat on a shelf and I bought one. I doubt we’ll see that level of serendipity this year.

What I think will happen either this year or in 2023 is that if you go into your local game shop or search online you’ll be able to find one without needing to be alerted when stock drops.

Right now I couldn’t buy one right now but by following the right people on Twitter I could have one by the end of the month with effort. Relying on serendipity isn’t going to get anyone a PS5 any time soon.

Ryall

Unlucky13

@zupertramp I would say that we're no where near several levels above strolling into a store and finding one, unfortunately. I check the stock of about 6 or 7 each of Target, Wal Mart and Best Buy stores all the time. I've never even seen one in stock. But, again, my market is probably my problem, and there's nothing that I can do about that. I'm willing to drive an hour to go pick one up if I can find it, but they have to be there for that to happen.

Edited on by Unlucky13

Unlucky13

redd214

@Unlucky13 going up on Target now, hopefully there's one in your area!

redd214

zupertramp

@Unlucky13 yeah i've lived pretty rural for awhile now so I understand your plight. At the moment it's still about following the right people on Twitter, as previously mentioned.

And I'd agree with @redd214 that it's not impossible. It's just harder for some than others. Like in my case where for two months straight pretty much every stock drop happened while I was at work. Couple times I escaped to the bathroom only to deal with glitchy Walmart apps or instant sold out scenarios. Stock trackers online advise to stick with it even after it says sold out but I can't reasonably hang about in the bathroom for long. Enlisted the help of my wife (who also works but at a computer) and kids a few times as well but still no luck.

But then I restricted myself to strictly console restocks (no bundles) and that obviously lessens your chances.

Unlucky13

@redd214 Thank you. I saw that a few days ago and was prepared, but no go. I logged on at 6am this morning and checked frequently for hours, but never got anything other than the "Consoles will be viewable when inventory is available" notice that's always there.

Unlucky13

redd214

@Unlucky13 what device are you using (phone, computer etc)? If using a phone I'd say uninstalled and reinstall the app, sometime if you refresh to much junk data gets in there and makes it harder. If using the website try clearing your cooking and browser data before the next eventualll drop, both have helped me in the past

Also for Target especially PayPal and Apple Pay seem to be the most reliable payment method to have saved.

redd214

Unlucky13

@redd214 I generally use my phone if I'm going to order anything online. I don't really even know how to refresh that way, lol. I closed and opened the app about once every 15 minutes.

Unlucky13

redd214

@Unlucky13 Thursday 12PM Pacific, Walmart. Only for Walmart plus members though (free trial doesn't work) but the extra 13 bucks would increase your chances at least!

redd214

Unlucky13

@redd214 Thanks for the heads up. That's actually one of the worst times for me, because its when I pick my kids up from school. But for now, I'm not buying a membership anyways. I wouldn't use it on anything else, so it would basically be a lottery ticket.

Unlucky13

redd214

@Unlucky13 you're welcome man, will keep you posted on the next one!

redd214

Unlucky13

@Ryall I actually just walked into my local Best Buy in October of 2014 and bought my PS4 with no issue. Didn't check ahead or anything, or really think about it. I'd waited to buy one because I just wasn't interested in any of the release games, and bought it when Dragon Age Inquisition came out. I think that I could have bought one much earlier without any trouble had I wanted to.

Heck, with the PS3 I just walked into the store a few days after release and bought one. They had tons for sale and there wasn't even a wait! Those were the good old days.

The only other one I've really had to wait for was the PS2. I actually paid for it in whole 9 months before release, but the store didn't get as many as they thought, and I ended up waiting another four months after that to finally get it, checking back with them every week.

I actually wasn't interested in the original PS at all when it came out, and was still a SNES guy at that point. I eventually switched over and bought one used off of a friend when FF7 came out.

Unlucky13

redd214

@Unlucky13 and anyone else, Gamestop will have bundles in store at select locations tomorrow for PRO Members. Keep in mind Gamestop's bundles usually range from $600 (digital bundle) all the way up to $800 in some instances for a disc bundle. You can check here for local shops:

https://t.co/qPJrtCDazr

Good luck!

Edited on by redd214

redd214

Unlucky13

@redd214 Thanks for the heads up. My local store is actually on the list, surprisingly, but I've got a lot planned tomorrow. And given that there have been so few available in my area, I'd imagine others are literally lined up outside waiting long before I'd get there anyways.

Unlucky13

Sorry, this topic has been locked.