Forums

Topic: When do you predict that "everyone" will be able to buy a PS5?

Posts 221 to 240 of 417

Unlucky13

Sadly, in the US, all of the major retailers continue to say that there is no expectation that consoles will be in stores in the forseeable future. The ones that get shipped to stores for online orders seemingly are being sent to the major markets. It very much is like a lottery almost, with a very small percentage of people who want one actually getting their hands on one. Just the other day, Target apparently had to cancel hundreds (and possibly thousands) of orders that went through but they didn't actually have stock to cover.

Its just as bad a year out as it was at launch. And people in the know seem to think its going to be like this at least another year.

Unlucky13

nomither6

Unlucky13 wrote:

Sadly, in the US, all of the major retailers continue to say that there is no expectation that consoles will be in stores in the forseeable future. The ones that get shipped to stores for online orders seemingly are being sent to the major markets. It very much is like a lottery almost, with a very small percentage of people who want one actually getting their hands on one. Just the other day, Target apparently had to cancel hundreds (and possibly thousands) of orders that went through but they didn't actually have stock to cover.

Its just as bad a year out as it was at launch. And people in the know seem to think its going to be like this at least another year.

Target also were telling customers that they DO have PS5's in the back-room , but they're only for online orders.

Online is one of the main reasons this is such an issue , they need to stop the online-ordering options for now and just ship them to stores on a first-come-first served basis . that's a small and easy step that's a big solution, it's not gonna solve this fiasco but it'll help tremendously .

the only downside to it , is criminal offenses - people getting held at gunpoint in the parking lot , followed home , etc . but people just have to be careful , crime happens everywhere .

nomither6

Ralizah

@nomither6 I wasn't suggesting Microsoft was too clean-cut and transparent to do what you're implying they're doing. What I'm saying is that no company in their right mind is going to make a decision that dramatically hurts their ability to make a significantly larger profit. If Microsoft had the ability to put more Series X consoles out there and benefit from the PS5 hardware drought, they'd do that in a heartbeat.

I do agree that, in the current situation, they should cut out online distribution as much as possible. That'd also massively help with the scalping problem.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

JJ2

Console sales Q3 2021: PS5 supply improves bringing it closer to Switch

World console hardware sell-through volume, Q3 2021 (m)
Chart
PlayStation 5
family
Xbox Series
family
Switch family

Source: Ampere Games - Console, November 2021

I thought Push would post an article but they don’t seem interested

Edited on by JJ2

The crowd, accepting this immediately, assumed the anti-Eurasian posters and banners everywhere were the result of acts of sabotage by agents of Goldstein and ripped them from the walls.

zupertramp

@nomither6 Cars. Every company in the industry has a shortage on cars, due to chip shortages. Have you to been to a dealership lately? I've been to three in the last month. Only one lot had a new car. One. One lone Honda Accord. If you want something else, put in an order and hope you get it February/March. They've basically become used car dealerships. Some car manufacturers have cut production of certain models entirely.

And yes the Nintendo oled just came out. And in spite of its popularity Nintendo just cut production because there aren't enough chips to make enough.

Ordered a Dell in September for my son's classes and didn't get it until 2 weeks ago. Semester is almost over at this point. Even the campus bookstore couldn't get them on time and they have far more pull than I do. Chip shortage.

Also like, the graphics card situation... Have you no idea what I'm talking about there?

Then you add to this the clogged ports, labor shortages, and lack of empty shipping containers to put all our foreign made crap in and we kinda have a bit of global supply chain clusterf**k at the moment. So even when the cars, Nintendos, roombas, laptops, washing machines, ps5s (whatever) do get to pair with a semiconductor, it still has to get to a store - a whole new set of problems.

So not to be too blunt here but as conspiracy theories go this one is transparently nonsense given the state of the world at the moment.

PSN: frownonfun
Switch: SW-5109-6573-1900 (Pops)

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

RogerRoger

@Unlucky13 Going back a couple pages, but I just wanted to say a belated thanks for your thoughts on GreedFall, a game which occasionally tempts me whenever I see it going cheap.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@zupertramp Yeah, I was going to say that I’ve seen those empty car lots too. And if you try to even rent a car while traveling, be ready to pay 2-5x (or more) the usual going rate. It’s ridiculous.

Apparently appliances are in a mess, as I’m sure all major appliance manufacturers have huge backlogs of repairs to do while waiting for parts and computer chips. My friend has been waiting to get his refrigerator repaired for like 2 months, something that would have usually been handled within a week. And you can’t even replace it with a new one unless you’re ready to pay through the nose.

I saw a YouTube video last week about Chinese car manufacturing, and it was an interesting take which I think applies to this situation at hand in other manufacturing arenas. One of the points the expert came out with was “western manufacturing executives are playing checkers, while Chinese companies are playing chess”, meaning — US, European, and even Japanese companies (car companies in this instance but it applies to all other goods) are too busy looking at the short term goals, making a quick move to have a good quarter or a short term profit, while the Chinese have been planning the long game for a while and we’re about to see (and already are) the effects of it on world economics.

Not that anyone could have predicted the pandemic, but still, I believe there’s real poor judgment by a lot of executive leadership in corporate America and elsewhere. But I digress…

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Unlucky13

@RogerRoger You're very welcome! I would highly recommend it as something like a $30 purchase. As someone who plays games slowly, it was a solid 50-60 hour experience for me with only about 5% of that being grinding to level up. I'm looking forward to eventually checking up the PS5 upgrades someday.

Unlucky13

Unlucky13

@Th3solution You make a good point that I think is beyond debate. The people at the top of Western companies, at least publicly traded ones, are far too focused on making as much as they can right now instead of looking at long term sustainability. Sadly, in many cases in recent years, they've even driven otherwise healthy companies into the ground who could have otherwise survived. The short sightedness and lack of caring for the big picture drives me nuts.

To the big picture, trying to buy almost anything electronic right now is Hell. I need a new PC, but I'm just going to wait it out rather than paying double for a lower quality machine.

Unlucky13

nomither6

@zupertramp huh.. the dealerships around here are actually scarce , i never thought about it 'til now . we all aren't gonna have the same experiences everywhere ; living in texas , a car-shortage is definitely imminent so that was dumb of me for not realizing . But a city/state thats not very car-dependent probably wouldn't notice as much .

I always said my theory was illegitimate , i just wan't a PS5 .

Edited on by nomither6

nomither6

Th3solution

@Unlucky13 Yeah, and the corporate big-wigs are so full of themselves because of the positions and power, and often have very little knowledge or experience about their products. They know how to run a business and make money, but don’t know what it’s like to be a boots-on-the-ground worker, so to speak. Now, this is a huge generalization of course, and many CEO’s might be very open to counsel and work with the lower end production, but mostly they just look at bar graphs, spreadsheets, and reports, and live in a bubble. The guy in that video I referenced contrasted the usual American car companies with Tesla and specifically their magic bullet of having Elon Musk. He said he was in a board meeting at Tesla where Elon Musk was throwing out ideas about manufacturing and technology development and then his advisers would discuss with him and they’d throw around huge long mathematical formulas and debate his ideas with him and he’d then concede and then try another idea. Most big company CEO’s don’t know enough about what’s going on to even think creatively with the production, research, or development… and they also fire you on the spot if you were to challenge or debate them in a meeting. Apparently Musk is not only brilliant and creative, but also humble enough to take criticism. That’s why this guy thinks Tesla is so far ahead of the game.

Now bringing it back to video games… I have no idea what it’s like to observe Jim Ryan in a board meeting. Nor Phil Spencer or any of those guys. But I have a feeling that they don’t always take counsel or criticism too well, but I don’t know.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Unlucky13

I do think that the Sony higher ups seem to have a plan for what they would like to accomplish during each console generation, and at least an outline of what they would like to release for years into the future. They know what's in the pipeline, and they generally try to set it up so that things come out in an order to keep people pleased and interested. Of course, the whole global situation the last two years has no doubt thrown that to Hell, and now they're scrambling, leading to the general silence or brief generalizations that we've been getting.

That's all one of the reasons that I've long been a PS gamer and never drawn to MS. Everything with XBOX is flash and splash and excitement and loud. Whereas Sony is much more calm, professional and in some ways predictable, and that's what appeals to me. It did when I was in my 20s and certainly does now that I'm in my 40s. And the current uncertainty is extra frustrating.

Unlucky13

Th3solution

@Unlucky13 You’re right — I do think Sony rolls out things in a calculated manner, usually. They seem to always have something in the pipeline to keep a steady stream coming. Until the worst global pandemic in modern history hit. Then, like you say, it all went to the crapper.

Ryall

I think they expected to produce more. They expected demand to be lower. So they anticipated needing games like Gran Turismo 7 to be PS5 exclusive in order to push hardware sales.

I think the cross gen first party titles will stop once they need them to push people to upgrade.

It’s hard to know when the world situation will improve and make it easier to make things. But hopefully long before the slim arrives and reduces the resources needed to produce each PlayStation five.

Ryall

zupertramp

@nomither6 no worries and apologies if I came on too strong. I absolutely understand your frustration. I don't think Sony has done enough, or anything really, to incentivize the guarding against scalpers in retail. Not sure what they could do but I'm almost certain there's something. It's their console ffs. And the retailers only recently are giving a half hearted effort. But then that's only half the battle with shortages. Maybe even more like a quarter of the battle. It's enough to embitter anyone really

@Iver yeah I've given up on Christmas. Which is just as well. The year after year escalation factor gets darn near unsustainable as time goes on. This seems like just as good a time as any to drop the whole consumerist song and dance we do annually. But then my kids are much older now too so that's made it easier as well. Parents with small children have my sympathies.

Edited on by zupertramp

"One of the unloveliest and least enlightening aspects of contemporary discourse is the tendency to presume that whatever one disagrees with must be very simple—not only simple, but also simply wrong." - Elizabeth Bruenig

nomither6

zupertramp wrote:

@nomither6 no worries and apologies if I came on too strong. I absolutely understand your frustration. I don't think Sony has done enough, or anything really, to incentivize the guarding against scalpers in retail. Not sure what they could do but I'm almost certain there's something. It's their console ffs. And the retailers only recently are giving a half hearted effort. But then that's only half the battle with shortages. Maybe even more like a quarter of the battle. It's enough to embitter anyone really

@Iver yeah I've given up on Christmas. Which is just as well. The year after year escalation factor gets darn near unsustainable as time goes on. This seems like just as good a time as any to drop the whole consumerist song and dance we do annually. But then my kids are much older now too so that's made it easier as well. Parents with small children have my sympathies.

i can't believe i just bought an Xbox Series S ... the S! earlier today . i was just browsing through best-buy's website and seen that they had Xbox Series S available for curbside or in-store pick-up ; i spontaneously just clicked to buy it and get it . granted i miss the classic halo games and want to try infinite , and gamepass is nice ...i still prefer a ps5 & a disc slot . I have others helping me nab a ps5 so if i get it sooner than later , im going to see if i can resell this series S for a good price ($230 maybe compared to $300)

nomither6

zupertramp

Nice. I also settled for a Series S + Game Pass despite never owning an xbox prior. It's not a bad little system imo. A suitable, capable place holder until one scores a PS5.

And actually, game pass has given me the opportunity to try a lot of games I otherwise would not have. So any xbox has that over even the ps5 at the moment.

nomither6

zupertramp wrote:

Nice. I also settled for a Series S + Game Pass despite never owning an xbox prior. It's not a bad little system imo. A suitable, capable place holder until one scores a PS5.

And actually, game pass has given me the opportunity to try a lot of games I otherwise would not have. So any xbox has that over even the ps5 at the moment.

oh yeah , its a good system for sure , there's some things i genuinely like about the console . switching back to the ps4 most likely has something to do with it too ; the xbox controller is perfection & i was blown away by the size of the console , i had no idea it would be this small , i dig it ! gamepass is great too . only time will tell if the series s is more deserving of being more than a placeholder , i can be indecisive

Edited on by nomither6

nomither6

tselliot

Removed - inappropriate

tselliot

Unlucky13

I have never once wanted to own an XBOX system to this point. There have been very, very few games exclusive to them that I'd want to play. But I may eventually end up with one so that I can experience the RPG games Bethesda and others are making.

I'd considered trying to play it on my PC via a HDMI cable connected to my TV, but the picture quality suffers terribly when I do that, and I'll need a new PC anyways. (which you also can't really buy right now)

Unlucky13

Sorry, this topic has been locked.