Forums

Topic: TOP 5 PS4 games

Posts 401 to 408 of 408

Thrillho

@carlos82 The core story is still great, the padded story (mostly) less so.

My second run was more enjoyable for the combat but also because you could skip all the cutscenes, do as few side missions as you want, and just get on with the fun stuff.

Not exactly a glowing reference though really.

Thrillho

FullMetalWesker

This will probably not be a definitive list, but for the moment:
1. Bloodborne - Takes the Souls formula and refines it to perfection. The gothic artstyle provides probably the best Castlevania-esque aesthetic in a 3D game, the music and boss fights are among my favourites in the series (especially in the DLC), and the changes made to the gameplay, like replacing shields with firearms, adding the stagger and rally mechanics (among others) make it a lot more engaging and accessible than prior Souls entries. Combine this with one of the best DLC packages in The Old Hunters and you get a truly standout title for the PS4, and one of my personal favourite video games.
2. Uncharted 4 - Does for the PS4 what Uncharted 2 did for the PS3: provide an action-packed spectacle that shows off what the console can do, this time with more complex gameplay, story and characters that overall place it just below Uncharted 2 as my favourite in the series.
3. God of War - A game with a better story and treatment of Kratos then it (and he) deserved, this game bears similarities to The Last of Us, but without the downer endings those games seem to like having (seriously, if the endings to those games weren't as depressing as they are, I'd probably like the games a lot more) this game manages to balance gameplay and story/character pretty well to create an overall package that's pretty close to perfect. If I had to make a small complaint, it's that the final boss isn't quite as engaging as I'd like, but given the combat system, that may have been unavoidable.
4. Resident Evil 2 Remake - Possibly my favourite Resident Evil game (either this or REmake), it takes the best parts of 4, and puts it into a more grounded experience that, for a first playthrough, can actually prove somewhat terrifying. Would've like more legacy costumes (Resi 4 Leon's coat especially) but that's about it.
5. Devil May Cry 5 - My new personal favourite Devil May Cry game, the only thing it lacks are the characters featured in DMC4SE, everything else is excellent imo.

Honourable Mentions: Final Fantasy XII: Zodiac Age, Final Fantasy VII Remake, Sekiro, Kingdom Hearts III, Marvel's Spider-Man.

FullMetalWesker

HallowMoonshadow

Look at how excited I was on trying NieR Automata a few pages ago compared to now 😂

Anyway onto my top 5 at the moment:

1. Divinity Original Sin II

I enjoyed all 130 hours of it I played and wanted to go again three as soon as I'd finished. Only holding back because I have a fair bit of stuff to go through. I haven't been so engrossed in a game for a while.

2. Dark Souls 3

I did replay this immeadiately after beating it with a brand new character and build when I played it through on release. Loved it. A fitting send off indeed to the series with some wonderful boss fights and accompanying music.

3. Hollow Knight

The first Metroidvania I played and it's fan-bloody-tastic. I really need to go back and try my hand at the other content. The music is lovely too!

4. Horizon Zero Dawn

The best Playstation exclusive I've played so far. Aloy's a wonderful protagonist and the combat against the machines is brill. Bring on Forbidden West!

5. Iconoclasts

The game I love the more I think about it sneaks into 5th! A lovely game with a great and varied sounding soundtrack, good pixel art, some fun boss fights and a story with some very interesting themes.

Special Mentions: Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (Soooo Close and I played it on PS4 so I'm counting it!) & The Witcher III get a well deserved mention.

Bloodstained is potentially creeping in here too with our current playthrough and Danganronpa 2 could easily burst into the top 5 when I finally get to it... Not to mention Trails Of Cold Steel is captivating me at the moment too!

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Black_Swordsman

Hello @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy ,With regard to Dark Souls 3, I am interested in how many attempts it took you to beat Dancer of the Boreal Valley? Did you do it solo? I did and seemed to take me countless tries, I managed to summon a superior player for NG+ to assist me, and it was still tough.

Also, I note that soundtracks seem to influence your taste in games somewhat, is that a conscious or unconscious process?

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

PSN: Draco_V_Ecliptic

HallowMoonshadow

I always play Dark Souls games through solo first @Draco_V_Ecliptic (I rarely play them with others in fact. Though I did help a few people with some bosses in Dark Souls 3)

As for the Dancer... Beat her first try myself.

I did leave her boss room via a homeward bone when you get teleported there. But I found her fairly easy otherwise on my first playthrough... Could've been a bit overlevelled but I can't recall

The worst boss for me (not including a certain someone at Archdragon Peak) was The Undead Legion or Champion Gundyr. Took me about 5 tries each. All the other bosses only took one or two attempts.

As for the soundtracks... The music isn't that big of a deal I'd say in regards to my enjoyment of a game. But I can't deny all the games I've picked (even the mentions) in my opinion have some great music to accompany them. So perhaps a bit of both honestly?

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

Black_Swordsman

That's very impressive @Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy ,you're clearly more of a Souls vet than I. I think that the Undead Legion took me almost as many goes as Dancer, but I was struggling for about two weeks solid with Pontiff Sulyvahn. NG+ though I hardly summoned at all, and none of the bosses were a big problem that time around.

"Man is the pie that bakes and eats himself, and the recipe is separation." - Alasdair Gray

HallowMoonshadow

I don't think I'm that good @Draco_V_Ecliptic. More just sheer blind luck then anything else

I've only ever gone through the second game in NG+ due to a few new enemies cropping up and the mimics changing locations... Never went through the others that much. Always started fresh on those with a new build

Black_Swordsman

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Do you soul farm to level up and become OP? That's my secret strategy Plus there's the legendary Havel's Gear to take advantage of once you reach Anor Londo.

Edited on by Black_Swordsman

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.