Posts 381 to 400 of 408

PSVR_lover

Tough choices:

Until Dawn

Resident Evil 7

Resident Evil 2

Blue Reflection

Everybody’s Golf

That’s a start, lots of other games to choose from.

The PSVR is the best VR system on the market today.

jpsmith881

1. Red Dead Redemption 2
2. Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (best selling PS4 exclusive)
3. Horizon Zero Dawn
4. God of War (2018; generally accepted best ranked PS4 exclusive)
5. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt (best game of the decade 2010-2019 easily)

jpsmith881

Kidfried

NICE, THIS TOPIC IS BACK!

I'm not even going to look at my previous list. Just make a complete new one (that will hardly differ from my last one, probably).

1. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
I remember this entered my Top 5 somewhere around fourth place or something when I first beat the game. But over time I just started more and more to realize how special this game is. It did something truly cool stuff, and gave me an experience of a sandbox that I had expected to find in many games after it. But nearing the end of this generation I can conclude that no other game has reached some of the heights this game reached. So it seemed only fitting to put it on number 1.

2. Bloodborne
Now playing Dark Souls Remastered made me realize how brilliant this game is set up. It has pretty much all the good stuff of the Dark Souls series, but turns everything up a notch: more fierceful, more difficult in all the right ways, more compact, faster, and an even better told story. Yes, it's a little more linear, but I think the flow of the game benefits from that too.

3. The Witness
This game entertained me and my dad. This game is a fun puzzler with some brilliant ideas, but most of all a perfect way of teaching it to the player. No manual is needed. It's like Super Mario Bros. 1 (but even better maybe) that you learn to play the game as you play it, because every puzzle is set up to teach you the game's foundations. Then there's also the philosophy, meta-story, the game tells you, that really stuck with me.

4. What Remains of Edith Finch
This game is just magic in game form. This game manages to feel fresh every minute of it, and all family members tell their own interesting story. And somehow the game manages to be coherent in a way that I don't even understand.

5. Return of the Obra Dinn
I cannot ignore this game. I tried. I tried to sneak The Last Guardian into fifth place, I tried to put Horizon Zero Dawn here, but the truth is: this game is cooler. From its art style, to its cool way of presenting the story, its music, but most of all the way it will make you feel like a detective like no other game did before.

Runner-ups: The Last Guardian, Horizon Zero Dawn

Kidfried

LieutenantFatman

It's far too difficult to lock in five, with so many incredible games to choose from. The five below are definitely some that I have enjoyed the most.

The Witcher 3
Bloodborne
Pyre
Elite Dangerous
Astrobot Rescue Mission

LieutenantFatman

Gremio108

Right now, off the top of my head and taking the Kidfried approach of not looking at my previous list:

Red Dead Redemption II
Dark Souls III
Everybody's Gone to the Rapture
Bloodborne
Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime

On another day I might have put Sekiro, Horizon, The Last Guardian, Uncharted 4, Dirt 2.0, The Lost Legacy or Rime in there.

Nioh 2 has a good chance of breaking into this list, but I'll reserve judgement until I've finished it.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

Octane

Yeah, this is getting really difficult. This was my list last year.

God of War
Astro Bot Rescue Mission
The Witness
The Witcher 3
The Last Guardian

But The Last of Us Part II, Death Stranding and The Outer Wilds are all serious top spot contenders. I think I'll have to swap TW3 for TLOU2. But I really need a top 10 lol.

@Kidfried Is Obra Dinn that good? I'm tempted to check it out based on your recommendation alone.

Octane

nessisonett

I can’t remember if I did this or not tbh. I’m only going to include games I actually played on PS4 though.

Persona 5
Red Dead Redemption 2
God of War
NieR: Automata
What Remains of Edith Finch

Shoutout to Witcher 3, Resi 2/7 and Celeste, which I played on PC, Hollow Knight which I played on Switch and Death Stranding, which barely missed out.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

mookysam

I’m looking forward to seeing everyone’s best-of generation lists once the PS5 is out. Not long between now and then so I’m wondering if much will change. I haven’t looked at my old list.

1. Persona 5 - An outstanding RPG with excellent story themes that brings many quality of life improvements to the genre. And good gosh that soundtrack. A shining example of the genre! I haven’t yet played Royal (soon!) so that might well replace the original.
2. Dragon Quest XI - I absolutely adored my initial playthrough, but it was the third Act - essentially a jazzed up replay of Act 2 - where the game truly shone. Enjoying everything the gorgeous world of Erdrea has to offer never felt old or repetitive, and unlike many other games the road to the true ending is packed with unique things to see and do. Special thumbs up to the brilliant localisation!
3. Hitman - Thanks to @RogerRoger for recommending this sensational stealth game. It did take me a little while to get into, but it’s now a firm favourite. Replaying each level and discovering the myriad of ways to assassinate targets - many of them extremely humorous - is extremely rewarding. Seeing stone faced Agent 47 in his array of disguises is often brilliant.
4. Nier Automata
5. Kingdom Hearts III

Just missed the list - Uncharted: The Lost Legacy; God of War.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

Rudy_Manchego

Loving the variety on this list and how much people differ. Goes to show how this console has offered so many different things types of game.

Very hard to pick 5 but:

God of War
Everybody’s Gone To The Rapture
Bloodborne
Hyper Light Drifter
A Night in the woods

That said I could easily swap a fair few in. HZD, Astrobot, What Remains of Edith Finch, sooo many!

Now I may be an idiot, but there's one thing I am not sir, and that sir, is an idiot

PSN: Rudy_Manchego | Twitter:

JohnnyShoulder

Like others I'm not sure if I already posted here, but I think the list would have changed anyway.

1. God Of War
2. Sekiro
3. The Witcher 3
4. The Last of us Part 2
5. Control

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

jdv95

m current list,as it is prone to change.

1.the last of part 2.
2.god of war.
3.uncharted 4.
4.assasins creed oddessey.(i know)
5.horizon zero dawn.

Edited on by jdv95

jdv95

Th3solution

I’ve enjoyed reading people’s lists. I feel like I need to update mine as well, replete with explanations:

1. Shadow of the Colossus
I’m not 100% sure why this game continues to be my all-time favorite. The game has many flaws; It’s not necessarily even very fun. But for some reason it just speaks to me. It’s impact has resonated with me through 3 console generations and on PS4 it was at its absolute best. I think it’s not only the dark symbolism and open narrative that I love, but the fact it’s a unique experience that no game has really ever repeated.
2. Uncharted 4/Lost Legacy
I’m cheating a little and counting these two as one game because they were originally planned to be just one game. I think this holds a top spot because it’s the culmination of a long series which I enjoyed immensely from the first game to the last. The polish and presentation is fantastic and it’s like taking part in an action movie.
3. Death Stranding
I adored this game from the start to the end. Again — it’s not a perfect game and does some things poorly, but the experience was both contemplative and exciting at the same time. I felt like I was discovering gaming for the first time again.
4. NieR Automata
The stylish combat and snappy character models were enough to keep me engaged moment to moment, but the mind-bending narrative is what puts this over the top and vaults it onto my top 5. It’s not just the story that it tells, it’s the way it is told that affected me. And the depth and symbolism of the epic tale has stuck with me permanently.
5. MGSV: The Phantom Pain
I almost put Bloodborne in this spot as I hated to put two Kojima games on here because I figured my top 5 would automatically be dismissed as a biased fan-boy’s list. I’m not a groupie adulator or cult follower, and the inclusion of two of his games is unintentional. But I think @Kidfried said it well on his list about MGSV really having such great memories associated with it that have persevered for the last 5 years. Addictive gameplay and a (in my unpopular opinion) great story with a dramatic and impactful ending.

—————

Runner ups (or is it Runners up?):

Bloodborne, Hellblade, Detroit Become Human, Red Dead Redemption 2, Horizon Zero Dawn

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Kidfried

@Th3solution We have a pretty similar taste in games sometimes, don't we.

I didn't include Shadow of the Colossus, because of it being a remake. It's a great remake, don't get me wrong, but as a game it's not that different from the original.

NieR and Death Stranding are two games I yet need to play, but are up there in my 'top-5-of-games-I-want-to-play'.

And of course, you're list of runners-up consists of many of my favorites on the system as well.

Uncharted 4, though. I really liked the game, but it felt more like going to a fast food restaurant (which I like - it's just less special) then going to a luxury restaurant. And that's in no way meant to dismiss all the hard work that has gone into Uncharted 4, which is still a great achievement in pretty much all respects. But four years have passed and I hardly find myself thinking back of that game. Anyway, I yet have to play Lost Legacy, which does appeal to me a bit more (from what I've read about its structure) than 4. We'll see.

Kidfried

Th3solution

@Kidfried Yeah, we have been in sync a lot with our tastes. For me then it’s The Witness that I need to try, given your high praise. I have it downloaded onto my hard drive ready to go one day when I get the inkling. My hesitation has been that it being a puzzle game scares me a little as it sounds a little bit like it will require a lot of mental energy and usually by the time I’m ready for a gaming session I’m in the mood to disconnect my brain 😂
And that’s certainly fair on Uncharted 4. One thing I’ve wanted to do is replay the series to see how it holds up. They have given me so many memories and the series is just “quintessential PlayStation” that including UC4 on my list is probably more of a “lifetime achievement” type of reward rather than being a true mark of that one game’s excellence. Sort of like when Lord of the Rings: Return of the King won Best Picture at the Academy Awards — it was probably “this series has been so awesome as a whole, and we haven’t really rewarded the other installments, so we should give this last entry an award, but it’s really just a recognition of the wonderful impact of the entire trilogy.” I think subconsciously I elevate Uncharted 4 for a similar reason, it being the final swan song for Nathan Drake. But yes, if you’ve any enjoyment of the first four games, you’ll like Lost Legacy. And it’s not too long either.
Likewise I feel pretty confident you’ll find at least some enjoyment in Death Stranding and NieR Automata since you’ve liked games with a little depth that try something new gameplay and narrative-wise. They are both longer as far as time investment. But one common thing about all of my top five is that no matter the length of time the game took to complete, each of them flew by and playing them never felt like a chore to me. Each of them kept me so engaged that I feasted on the game and couldn’t pull myself away from them to play something different until they were complete. That’s not something I could say about most of the longer games I’ve played, including for example the excellent RDR2 or Horizon Zero Dawn, which I had to take a break from for a while and then return to later.

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Octane

jdv95 wrote:

4.assasins creed oddessey.(i know)

BANNED!

Octane

Thrillho

Thrillho wrote:

1) Witcher 3
2) God of War
3) Yakuza 0
4) Bloodborne
5) XCOM2

Honourable mentions to DOOM, Monster Hunter World, RDR2, Spiderman

1 (=) Witcher 3
2 (=) God of War
3 (=) Yakuza 0
4 (NE) FF7-R
5 (NE) Hollow Knight

FF7-R has serious flaws but the combat is just great, especially on hard mode.

Hollow Knight I’ve spoken about lots and it really is a beautiful Metroidvania with excellent combat and platforming all in one little indie package.

Thrillho

ApostateMage

AC Odyssey was close to my top 5. I can't believe I put Persona 5 in there a few years ago. I must've been drunk AND high.

ApostateMage

carlos82

I must have a list on here somewhere but no idea what it is but for now I'd say. EDIT: after just 2 games I'm finding it very difficult to leave games out, this has been an amazing generation

1. The Last of Us 2 - visually and technically stunning with a great story which dares to show not only the consequences of your actions but challenges you to see things from the traditional bad guys point of view. Really enjoyable gameplay with far improved stealth mechanics and tweaks to the combat to make it more responsive and enjoyable. A game that got me playing until 2 in the morning for the first time in many years

2. Astro Bot - simply the best VR game I've ever played and playing it reminded me of the first time I played Mario 64 except that this time you were along for the ride and it had me smiling from start to finish

3. Resident Evil 2 - a brilliant remake that respects the original but is very much its own game and a terrifying enemy in Mr X stalking you for much of the runtime.

4. Horizon Zero Dawn - an absolutely beautiful game, best in class HDR but more importantly a very good story and very good combat against the robot dinosaurs. I liked the weapon variety and tactical opportunity afforded by it and fighting a thunderjaw is just as exhilarating now as it was then.

5. Death Stranding - this keeps sticking in the back of my mind when I think of open worlds and how they all trivialise the the world itself, where as this makes it the biggest obstacle. One of the few games to genuinely try something different and even as a single player game you never feel alone as your building roads together or using each others equipment, to a simple thumbs up to keep you going and I hope we see many of these mechanics again at some point. This all without talking about the weird if great overall story and some phenomenal performances from its stars. A game I won't forget.

Others which were close are Doom, The Witcher 3, Persona 5, Sonic Mania, Streets of Rage 4, Tetris Effect, God of War, Spider-Man, Ratchet and Clank

Older than I care to remember but have been gaming since owning a wooden Atari 2600 and played pretty much everything inbetween.

PSN: AVGN_82

carlos82

@Thrillho I'm not sure what to make of FFVII remake, at times I think it's fantastic and others I just wish it would get on with it, as it contrives another reason to stretch a 7 hour section to a 40 hour game. Without a doubt the combat is generally great and they've done well to blend the old style and new, I do wish they'd restrict the flying enemies to the times when you have Barrett or Aerith in your party though.

Older than I care to remember but have been gaming since owning a wooden Atari 2600 and played pretty much everything inbetween.

PSN: AVGN_82

RogerRoger

Oh, hello again, topic! Always interesting to revisit a ranking!

Previous List:
1. Horizon: Zero Dawn
2. Hitman 2 (2018)
3. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
4. Batman: Arkham Knight
5. Dragon Age: Inquisition

New List:
1. Marvel's Spider-Man
2. Hitman 2 (2018)
3. Horizon: Zero Dawn
4. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
5. The Last Guardian

Don't get me wrong; Aloy's inaugural adventure hasn't really gone down in my estimation, not even after a replay and a couple hundred more screencaps. It's just that, by the time it closed out its Season Pass, Hitman 2 had become such an absolute unit of a game, and its gameplay retains a teensy bit more flair than simply being a grab-bag of common sandbox tropes (however well-implemented).

Spidey swinging right in at the top spot, though, and Trico soaring over to squash Batman and the Inquisition by virtue of being very fresh, yet guaranteed unforgettable.

Two open-world Photo Modes, two stealth 'em ups, and an emotional wildcard.

Yep, that'll do me rather nicely, ta.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.