Forums

Topic: The PS4 Screenshot of the Year Competition (2020)

Posts 201 to 220 of 238

Shigurui

@Gremio108 - This is what I was railing on. There was a clear example of what not to do in the OP and then a pic that was pretty much doing exactly that made the vote. I wasn't having a pop at anyone, certainly not at the guys that arranged this or whoever submitted the pic. I apologize if I appeared to be having a go at anyone and specifically @RogerRoger, I genuinely wasn't.

Honkai Star Rail UID: 714980866 (EU Server)

themcnoisy

Well done everyone! Thanks for setting up the competition @RogerRoger it's been fun! You even finished with a second place, well done!

It's mad actually the top 3 are from each category, number 4-4-5 are from each category. 6-7-8 are from each category. And then the last 3 are from each category. So we picked a great blend!

Once again thank you PushSquare crew y'all are the best and thanks for joining in!

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

ralphdibny

Thank you @RogerRoger @themcnoisy and @adamnovice for organising and judging this contest. A huge amount of effort went in to it and it is highly appreciated!

Well done to all the people who submitted, great work all around.

And thank you very much @RogerRoger for protecting my secret identity, it will keep my loved ones safe from super villains šŸ˜‚

See ya!

nessisonett

Great photos everyone, a properly deserved winner!

Plumbingā€™s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

carlos82

Wow, they are some truly great shots, well done to all of those in the top 10 and a deserved winner šŸ†

Older than I care to remember but have been gaming since owning a wooden Atari 2600 and played pretty much everything inbetween.

PSN: AVGN_82

RogerRoger

@Shigurui No offence taken; like I said, glad to have the debate. We'll get better at this every year!

@themcnoisy Thanks, buddy! Just wanted to do you proud, so glad I seem to have! I know some folks felt a little constrained by the categories, but it's really helped provide a varied selection of finalists, and shown off some gorgeous games in many different ways. Hopefully it'll provide a little inspiration for subsequent competitions; I know I've learned a few things!

@ralphdibny [ominously places Ralph's true identity in a manila envelope and seals it with wax]

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger thankfully superman and his unique wax melting powers is currently a good guy:

Untitled

I'll just hope DC doesn't debut a character in the future called "The Letter Opener"!

See ya!

RogerRoger

I didn't wanna influence the voting but, now that it's all over, here's why I picked the four screenshots I picked from the Action category.

"Night Raid" by @0ld_boy spent the last couple days of the competition duking it out with another, similar shot called "Snow Drift" (taken by @kac from DriveClub). Both showed vehicles from extreme angles, and I loved the drama and intensity of them, not to mention the rarity; most of my category's shots were of characters in combat. "Night Raid" took the glory for being slightly better framed and slightly better timed. It stood out to me from the moment it was posted.

"Aim for the Mouth!" by @nessisonett grabbed me with its vibrant colours, the bright yellows and oranges working well with the blue sky (for some reason, we got a lot of noir this year). It's also an obvious masterclass in timing; I have fought many a machine in Horizon and taken hundreds of screenshots, and even I haven't managed to capture that exact, perfect moment of attack. Could've been a back-of-box shot, where it would've sold many a copy, I'm sure.

"Glorious End" by @kreativekontroll won the day, a result I'm clearly happy with! As I said earlier, I ended up having to have a small contest-within-a-contest between all of the stunning duel shots from Ghost of Tsushima, to ensure I didn't end up submitting four of them to the final. I loved the low camera angle used here, especially with the final blow of the duel arcing skyward. It's very striking, and everybody seems to agree with me, having awarded it forty points!

"Return to Sender" by @Th3solution boasts the most impeccable timing, which was one of the key components I wanted from the Action category. Looking beyond that blatant draw, I also came to appreciate the shot's composition; how Kratos is standing in shadow, hunched under a cliff, and that he's summoning his axe away from a bright, beautiful landscape and dragging it back into his darkness. That's some smart framing, and makes for a very informative shot. That, and it's blue. I like blue.

So many other folks came so close to being finalists. Whilst I think I'm right in saying the Action category was the least popular, I still had over fifty screenshots to choose from, and the standard was real high across the board. I tried my very best to be fair, and I hope I succeeded.

Here's to next year's competition! Be there, or be Push Square... although you'll have to be a member of Push Square to be there, so... wow, that fell apart quickly... um... bye!

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

XOF

Hurray! Thanks to the judges and everyone else for keeping up this competition every year. This is something I always look forward to and it was honestly an honor to be a finalist.
Congratulations to @kreativekontroll. That is one hell of a shot.

Looking so forward to the 2021 competition with all the PS5 shots! This community is the best!

I make deliveries, that's all.

PSN: Homo-Ludens97

nessisonett

@RogerRoger Just out of interest, Iā€™ve noticed that a lot of my shots were in HDR so does that mean that the colours would be slightly off when users were viewing them on their PS4 on a non-HDR display?

RogerRoger

@nessisonett I was under the impression that the PS4's HDR was only supported in-game, making it impossible to view anything from the console's menu (including the Capture Gallery and Communities page) in HDR. It's why I manually deactivated HDR in my PS4's settings because yes, I'd spend ages eyeballing the colour and lighting of my shots, capture them, quit whatever I was playing and find a bunch of dark, oversaturated screenshots waiting for me in my Capture Gallery.

The colours of your shot looked amazing to me on my 49" 4K tellybox, and they're looking amazing to me here, on my PC. They also look great on my smartphone. My eyes are used to my displays, though, so it'd probably look different to you if you were standing over my shoulder right now.

Making It So Since 1987

Thrillho

@Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy Me too! I thought that was probably the best of the lot but I guess only one of mine would have been picked in the one category and 4/6 were character shots.

Plus it was @themcnoisy who judged that category and he at least put it as his number one in the vote Thanks to the other few who threw some points my way too!

Kongrats to @kreativekontroll on the win!

Thrillho

Unreal

Congratulations to the winner and every one that participated!

There are some amazing shots that didn't make the top 12 in the community and i would like to see some honorable mentions.

Unreal

Gremio108

@Shigurui Likewise mate, didn't mean to sound like I was telling you off! No worries

@kreativekontroll Congratulations, absolutely amazing shot, a deserving winner. Makes me want to load Ghost of Tsushima up right now and get my samurai on

Thanks again to the three amigos for running this competition!

Edited on by Gremio108

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

kreativekontroll

Wow thanks all. Some awesome shots taken by all this year. Anyone who spends some time in the pushsquare community would know I have been sharing shots for years and I just got a lucky on this one. I have recently moved to ps5 and really miss the community feature and looking at everyone's photos. I gave my ps4 to my brother so I can't even access it anymore, so fingers crossed it comes back as the premier amateur photographer swapper!

kreativekontroll

kreativekontroll

Oh and well done and thanks to all the organisers for the third year of this comp. Cheers.

kreativekontroll

nessisonett

@kreativekontroll Big congratulations, itā€™s an excellent shot!

Th3solution

Congrats to all, and especially @kreativekontroll for his wonderful shot. It got my first place vote.
And thanks again to the judges and organizers.

@RogerRoger Regarding my ā€œReturn to Senderā€, thanks for the kind words and analysis. The throwing and catching of the Leviathan axe in God of War is one of the most satisfying kinetic feeling activities in gaming that Iā€™ve ever had. (The sword play in Ghost of Tsushima isnā€™t far behind). But the recall of the axe back after throwing it has this combination of sensations ā€” the quick flying image of the axe with a bright blue stream of magic energy, whirling / humming noise through the air followed by a satisfying whack of wood against skin as he catches it, and a rumble of the pad, and the whole activity is just brilliant. I wanted to capture the feeling, sound, power, and dynamism of catching the axe. Having bright and contrasting color was a plus when selecting the site to try for the attempt. There were many efforts, having to pause the shot over and over. I deliberated in my mind over whether to swing the camera to frame the front to show Kratos face (which I put into an aggressive yelling gesture to coincide with the feeling of power, which canā€™t be seen in the final shot) or to put it behind him and focus more on the axe. In the end I chose to highlight the axe and the hand and show the activity from behind, which I felt was more dynamic.

Anyway, thanks for the props from everyone and Iā€™m thrilled to have cracked the top 10. I really never expected it.

Edited on by Th3solution

ā€œWe cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.ā€

0ld_boy

Congrats to the winner.
Many thanks to everyone who liked my shots enough to vote for or compliment or just comment them.
A massive thank you to the organizer and judges. Very much appreciated!
I always looking forward to this and enjoy in taking part of it.

The 'Silhouette' resulted while I was trying to take some Sepia filtered Portraits. Upon doing so, I realized the char was amazingly backlit from certain camera angles.
After fiddling for well over an hour and using each and every option of the photo mode in some way I was lucky enough to end up with it.

'Night Raid' was captured using the mission replay. Upon trying to get a capture of something else entirely. Couldn t nail what I originally wanted, but ended up watching the replay a few times and taking several shots of various actions.
For this one I tried to capture the exact moment of the missile launch for the lighting effect. Missed out on that while slowing down the replay speed and adjusting the zoom and the angle all at once.
So it is actually a lucky shot.

0ld_boy

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.