Forums

Topic: The PS4 Screenshot of the Year Competition (2020)

Posts 181 to 200 of 238

Gremio108

@RogerRoger Here's one to think about. One of the pictures I submitted was called 'The Duel'. There were quite a few pics submitted from that fight and I think think a couple of them might have been taken from the cutscene which precedes it. Mine was taken from a QTE that happens halfway through the fight, as I wanted to capture that coming-together of swords.

I wasn't originally going to include it, because I wasn't sure where I stood with that one, but because it was such a b*stard.to get right, I decided to go with it. I had to keep baiting the QTE and replay the fight over and over to get the pose I wanted, but ultimately, yeah, that coming together of swords wasn't arranged by me. Yet out of all the entries I submitted, it was the trickiest to capture. What I'm saying is you're right, it's a grey area, particularly as games continue to blur the lines between cut-scene and in-game.

@Shigurui You're right about this, but I don't think you should give Roger and the guys a hard time, as they've put in serious hours to create a contest that's great fun, for no reason other than they can. It's true that it takes a place away from someone else (like one of my amazing shots for example) but if the judges haven't played that game, then they can't be blamed.

Next year maybe we could have a couple of people who could quietly flag a picture to the judges, maybe give them a shout over PSN or something, if they think it might be from a cut-scene (or a QTE like my dirty cheating self). Only if they've played that game of course. Then the judge could check it out, maybe watch some youtube gameplay and see. The final decision should rest with the judges though. I'd be up for doing this if it's a game I've played, and I know @JohnnyShoulder has got a good eye for spotting a cut-scene pic too.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

JohnnyShoulder

@Gremio108 Good idea! Although I would never be a judge on one if these things I don't mind be a 'spotter'. I did notice a few when I was going through the community, but didn't say anything as Rog said this was ok.

Personally I did not submit any of my shots which are similar to the one being questioned, as it did not sit right with me as the most I've done is pan the camera and maybe apply a filter. It felt better to submit a shot which I worked on a bit more on.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@Gremio108 I basically had to run a little "contest within a contest" between all of the Ghost of Tsushima duel shots submitted to the Action category, otherwise I'd have been submitting four near-identical pictures to this final twelve. There were so many fine examples!

Thanks for your thoughts. I think it was last year's competition, I had a couple screencaps from the final boss of Uncharted 4 (a sequence which absolutely blurs the line between "gameplay" and "QTE") and nearly submitted one of 'em, because being granted full Photo Mode camera control in those five minutes meant that I'd spent hours messing with angles and timing... even if, as you say, each clash of the characters in question was semi-scripted at best.

Next year, we'll include guidance on this issue. I love the "spotter" idea, either instead of, or in conjunction with, the voting grace period suggested yesterday. Thanks to @JohnnyShoulder there for volunteering in that capacity. I will admit, I fired up YouTube yesterday to check some Ghost of Tsushima gameplay, but I've yet to play it myself and was nervous about spoilers.

Additional thanks to @Th3solution and @BearsEatBeets for their support and thoughts, too.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

Reminder, voting closes the morning of Thursday 17 December (UK time)!

Once again, here are your twelve finalists!

1) "Sunset" from Middle-Earth: Shadow of War
Untitled

2) "Silhouette" from Red Dead Redemption 2
Untitled

3) "Night Raid" from Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown
Untitled

4) "Life and Death" from The Last of Us, Part II
Untitled

5) "The New Normal?" from The Last of Us, Part II
Untitled

6) "Aim For the Mouth!" from Horizon: Zero Dawn
Untitled

7) "Move Any Mountain" from Uncharted 4: A Thief's End
Untitled

8) "Deserving of Rest" from Ghost of Tsushima
Untitled

9) "Glorious End" from Ghost of Tsushima
Untitled

10) "Heart of Darkside" from Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order
Untitled

11) "Joel" from The Last of Us, Part II
Untitled

12) "Return to Sender" from God of War
Untitled

Please pick your top three and assign them points as follows:

First Choice = 5 points
Second Choice = 3 points
Third Choice = 1 point

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

I'd like to say that one of my submitted screenshots was from a loading screen, I debated whether to put in there but I went for it in the end because I found the screenshot really funny and thought others might find it amusing. I didn't have any expectation that it would make its way into the top 12 (and it didn't) and I did have limited control over the characters pose and camera angle when I took the screencap.

See ya!

AdamNovice

@RogerRoger How did my wailing katanas and Storm of Undvik (I was quite proud of that one cos catching lightning in a game without a photo mode was really lucky) do?

AdamNovice

Twitter:

themcnoisy

@Th3solution Hey Sol your the best man, we should have an appreciation thread for you!

@AdamNovice Your Internet loves cats is a fantastic pic. If you posted it on Reddit you could get some likes for sure!

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Gremio108

@RogerRoger I'd be up fpr helping in any way I can next year, it sounds like fun.

You'd have a ball with Ghost of Tsushima, although I'm a bit worried the amount of photo opportunities means you'll be playing it forever

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

AdamNovice

@themcnoisy Oh yeah you were doing characters right? @RogerRoger was on Action. So my other one would have been my Shadow of the Colossus meets He-Man pic lol

AdamNovice

Twitter:

Throb

I don't think I understand this competition, i must have misinterpreted it?

Can't think of anything good to put here just yet, watch this space...

PSN: Headthrob

RogerRoger

@AdamNovice "Wailing Katanas" was honestly the last alternate to duke it out with "Glorious End" for representing Ghost of Tsushima combat in the category's finalists; I absolutely loved it, the mist made it hugely atmospheric. "The Storm of Undvik" was very lucky timing! There were a couple of lightning shots (another was of Spidey in mid-air alongside a bolt, I think it was called "Ride the Lightning") which I'd have included if I had more than four choices but, alas, I had to trim things down.

@Gremio108 Thank you! Yeah, I'm deliberately leaving Ghost of Tsushima until I know I have a couple months to get totally lost in it. Everyone'll know when I've started it because, let's be honest, I'll probably end up sinking the screenshot topic!

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@Throb Sorry for any confusion! We've now got our twelve finalists, which you can see above. If you'd like to vote, simply select your favourite three and rank them first, second and third.

The winner will be crowned tomorrow morning, UK time.

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

I just realised, in all the excitement, I forgot to cast my own vote!

1) "Glorious End" (5 pts.)
2) "Silhouette" (3 pts.)
3) "Life and Death" (1 pt.)

Making It So Since 1987

Thrillho

It's probably time to put my votes in and I have to say that if I could have put my top 3 in a different order or chosen a completely different 3 and still be happy with my choice. But..

1) Sunset (5 points) - I've still yet to play this game (hooray for PS+ though!) but I like the framing of the shot so the focus is on both the character and the landscape. I don't know how much filtering there is but the sepia/sunset feeling is great, along with the silhouette effect.

2) Joel (3 points) - The most simple shot of the lot but to find the right spot to get this with the lighting just right, the zoom right, and to get the detail of his beard is just great.

3) Night Raid (1 point) - Having played AC7, this is either an incredibly lucky shot or one that took a few goes to get the timing right for the missiles, to get the lighting right for the background, and to get the plane steady to get the shot so sharp. However it was achieved, it looks fab.

Silhouette - great filtering to get such a contrasting image and you can almost feel the breeze with the birds in the background.

Life and death - cleverly composed and a nice spot in such a huge game to pick that moment out.

The new normal? - it's alright I guess

Aim for the mouth - getting a good shot in the middle of combat is one of the hardest things, whether you're actually playing or trying to get a cool shot. Perfectly timed.

Move any mountain - a cool, quiet moment caught in a game that's more known for it's big set pieces than serene landscapes.

Deserving of rest - nicely framed and the snowy landscape brings out the colours elsewhere in the shot.

Glorious end - again, well timed to get the blood splatter (I guess this one may have taken a few goes) and I really like the lighting.

Heart of darkside - love the colouring on this one in what is almost B&W but with a "foxy goddess" splash of red in there.

Return to sender - a clever idea and almost certainly a shot that took a while to get right; I can almost hear the muttered swear words as the timing wasn't quite right on yet another attempt at the shot.

Well done to all and there are plenty I saw in the community I was surprised to not see here!

Edited on by Thrillho

Thrillho

HallowMoonshadow

Genuinely surprised your "Guitar Hero" shot didn't place @Thrillho either alongside/instead of The New Normal ... I thought it was fantastic piece myself. I'd have voted for it in a heartbeat!

As for my actual votes...

"Aim For The Mouth" - 5 Points
"Night Raid" - 3 Points
"Return To Sender" - 1 Point

Edited on by HallowMoonshadow

Previously known as Foxy-Goddess-Scotchy

"You don't have to save the world to find meaning in life. Sometimes all you need is something simple, like someone to take care of"

RogerRoger

That's it, folks! Voting is closed, and we have our results!

Before we get started, and at the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'm hugely grateful to everybody for taking part in this competition, either by submitting shots or just by voting.

Further thanks to fellow judges @AdamNovice and @themcnoisy who worked so hard considering and selecting four shots from each category. In addition, it's worth noting that @themcnoisy has been dreaming up and running polls and contests like this around here for years, giving us all truckloads of fun and many memorable moments, and this has been his last.

In recognition of his efforts, I'm starting a new tradition.

Here are the results for the first annual MC Noisy Award for Best Screenshot.

10) "Deserving of Rest" taken by @kreativekontroll in Ghost of Tsushima (1 point).
Untitled

Also 10) "Move Any Mountain" taken by @Signosis in Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (1 point).
Untitled

9) "Return to Sender" taken by @Th3solution in God of War (5 points).
Untitled

8) "The New Normal?" taken by @Thrillho in The Last of Us, Part II (9 points).
Untitled

7) "Aim for the Mouth!" taken by @nessisonett in Horizon: Zero Dawn (14 points).
Untitled

6) "Life and Death" taken by @Jimmer-jammer in The Last of Us, Part II (16 points).
Untitled

5) "Night Raid" taken by @0ld_boy in Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown (26 points).
Untitled

4) "Joel" taken by @Sam-Bridges in The Last of Us, Part II (30 points).
Untitled

Also 4) "Sunset" taken by @Unreal in Middle-Earth: Shadow of War (30 points).
Untitled

3) "Silhouette" taken by @0ld_boy in Red Dead Redemption 2 (34 points).
Untitled

2) "Heart of Darkside" taken by @RogerRoger in Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (38 points).
Untitled

Which means that the winner of The MC Noisy Award for Best Screenshot 2020 is...

1) "Glorious End" taken by @kreativekontroll in Ghost of Tsushima (40 points).
Untitled

Congratulations to one heck of a spectacular winner, and to all our finalists!

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

@Quintumply Thanks for helping promote this community competition a couple weeks ago. The results are now in, just in case you've got a slow news day coming up!

Making It So Since 1987

Signosis

Congratulations to the deserving winner, great shot. 👏🏻🏆
Well done everyone and a big thank you for the solitary vote I received, very happy to have made it to the final. 👍🏻

Signosis

Twitter:

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.