Forums

Topic: Shadow of the Tomb Raider

Posts 121 to 140 of 160

Octane

I'm looking to get the definitive edition. Does anyone know why it's so difficult to find a PS4 copy of it? I mean, it came out like three months ago, right?

Octane

RogerRoger

@Octane What country do you hail from?

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Octane

@RogerRoger The Netherlands. Though I can't find it in the UK either, or German or French stores for that matter. It's like it doesn't even exist.

Octane

RogerRoger

@Octane Blimey, you're right! I was gonna do some Google legwork for you, but Amazon UK are currently only offering an imported US copy, whilst GAME don't have it at all.

Best I've found is eBay, a couple of sellers in Germany offering it brand new for a semi-fair price.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

JohnnyShoulder

@Octane For some reason I always thought you were from the USA!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

@Octane I know a lot of folks said "will wait for the inevitable 'complete' version" when Shadow was first released, and it definitely seems like it's that kinda game for many, but this feels more like a shortfall in manufactured stock, not simply a buyer's rush or post-sales shortage.

Now that I think about it, I seem to recall physical copies of Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition on PS4 were briefly impossible to find for a couple months at some point, too.

Check out those eBay sellers. If not, perhaps go digital, if you don't mind digital...?

Making It So Since 1987

Octane

@RogerRoger I was looking for the definitive edition to have it all on disc. I don't know how much content the DLC is, or whether it's even worth it. If not, I'll stick with the base game, it's only €15 after all.

Octane

RogerRoger

@Octane The DLC is quite substantial. None of it will change your opinion towards the game, but if you're a fan of the reboot trilogy then I'd wholeheartedly recommend it. Seven new missions, a dozen new environments, and new costumes and weapons to boot. All told, it adds around twelve to fifteen hours of gameplay. A couple of the episodes were series highlights for me, and one contains my all-time favourite Tomb Raider location (which surprised me, it being a DLC and all).

Making It So Since 1987

Octane

@KratosMD Thanks for that info! Yeah, sounds like I want the definitive edition if possible. Especially if the DLC is pretty good like @RogerRoger mentioned.

Where did you get your copy? Did you pre-order yours or something?

Octane

RogerRoger

@KratosMD Oh yeah, I remember the day I thought to myself "Isn't this patch a little large...?" and then realised I was essentially re-downloading the entire game from scratch. One of the boldest, most blatant signs that modern games development can't wait to escape physical copies!

Making It So Since 1987

Octane

@KratosMD Maybe it's because most staff at a gaming website play a review copy and move on once the game is out. I definitely agree that we don't hear a ton about games post-launch, unless it's an absolute disaster like Fallout 76 or Anthem.

Anyway, no luck in finding a copy of the game yet. eBay is kinda out of the question since I don't have a credit card. Xbox One copies are numerous. Are there just more? Or did nobody buy the Xbox One version?

Octane

RogerRoger

@KratosMD My PS4 tells me that, with all DLC installed and patches up-to-date, Shadow is taking up 25.97Gb of space on my HDD, so it's obviously still pulling something from my launch copy. Which is nice, because I don't like the idea of my neatly-preserved Blu-Rays becoming glorified product registration keys.

Bear in mind that Shadow is the only game in the reboot trilogy to receive so much integrated DLC. The expansions for Rise were mostly standalone modes, separate from the core game, and 2013 received no single player DLC at all. Both of those came to PS4 late, as well. Then we get to Shadow, where each of the seven DLCs had to alter the geometry of the game's map in order to fit seamlessly. They also added to Lara's inventory every time (which is not straightforward, as many weapons and outfits are restricted in some locations). I'm not surprised that things got a little cluttered and chaotic in the code. It's clear that the DLC wasn't created before launch and then held back; this was all on-the-fly new content being periodically crammed into a supposedly-finished game.

It's frustrating, sure, but we're in a transitional period in gaming, I reckon. The all-digital future is inevitable. It's just a question of how long it'll take to get there now.

@Octane Alas, the curse of wanting to play it on the most popular system. I think there are XboxONE copies left because most folks this generation own a PS4, or prefer the PS4 if they own both. Sorry to hear you're having difficulty finding a copy; hope you find one soon. What about PayPal? That's what I use on eBay, as I'll be damned if I'm ever gonna get a credit card.

Or yeah, as Kratos notes, just wait it out until more stock is produced in the coming months. Maybe place a back-order to register your interest and reserve a new copy?

Making It So Since 1987

Octane

@KratosMD Problem with patches is that they need to integrate into the main code. So you're adding a bit a code that needs to work when it needs to. The ''lazy'' way is to just update the code and send the whole thing as a ''patch'', essentially the entire game with the patch worked in. So the patched version of the game replaces the original version. That's often the case when a ''patch'' is about the same size as the original game.

Octane

Octane

@KratosMD Reading my comment again, I'm glad you could understand it lol.

Though I have to add, I imagine there are times when so many small patches are necessary, that it's perhaps only logical to update the entire code. Of course, that isn't to say that it's a good excuse IMO, because it all should've worked from the get go, but still...

Octane

RogerRoger

@KratosMD Yeah, basically you've got two options. You can either install and play the fully-updated, everything-included edition or you can get the base game, download and install a 24Gb patch, and then spend extra money to download 1Mb activation keys for all seven of the separate DLC packs (the core data for which would appear to be included in everybody's updates regardless).

If you play the base game offline, without downloading or installing any patches, it'll still work but it'll be the original code (and it'll also show you the original ending cutscene, which was replaced with a totally new FMV in the Day One update). Can't recall those file sizes, sorry!

Making It So Since 1987

Octane

@RogerRoger @KratosMD I managed to secure a copy for €30. It's a used copy, but if it looks as good as new, I don't mind it.

Octane

RogerRoger

@Octane Exactly, I can't imagine it being "used" used, so here's hoping it turns up safe and that you enjoy the game when you play it. Can't wait to hear what you think!

Making It So Since 1987

Octane

@KratosMD @RogerRoger Yeah, very true. This isn't a 15 year old game that may or may not be covered in scratches, stickers, or undefinable goo!

Octane

Octane

Higher difficulty option for puzzles lowers the time for QTEs...

...what?

Octane

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.