Forums

Topic: PS4 Pro supersampling on 1080p

Posts 1 to 14 of 14

gollumb82

Hi!
I've checked for a topic on this but haven't found one. I might not have done it correctly, so forgive me if such a topic has already been discussed here. I'd like to ask the community to share their thoughts on using supersampling when playing games on a PRO on a 1080p display. I haven't got a 4K TV yet and I wonder if its worth the hassle. I ran some tests on GT Sport and see no difference in the graphics department (or it might seem a bit more blurry) but the replays are affected negatively- they run slower for sure. Any thoughts/advice? Does it make sense to keep this option on?

When in doubt, go digital.

Tiger77

Hi !

I found the feature not very helpful, it demands quite some system recources to make games look a little bit sharper.
I used it on Driveclub, that game runs fine with it.
On older games it's prob. most useful - and there are prob. lists on the web with games that work fine with it.

So good luck, mate ! (and you really need to get that 4K OLED , it looks pretty great !)

Tiger77

gollumb82

@Tiger77
Thanks for the reply. I kind of expected it to use more system resources and that's not going to cut it, especially with the PRO already loud as it is (my gaming laptop is quieter). I do need to look around for a 4K TV set. Is OLED the way to go now?

Tiger77

Yes ,it is ! IMHO

Tiger77

JohnnyShoulder

@gollumb82 It depends on your particular circumstances, if you game in a room that can get light then Oled have been known to suffer and then there is (albeit minimal) risk of burn in too.

I found the below video very useful when trying to decide which type of TV to get.

We are now in a world of people being offended for other people who they think should be offended, who arent offended.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

gollumb82

Thanks guys. I've already switched off supersampling permanently as it was making the console way too loud and hot. Now it's within acceptable limits while playing without a headset on. I will watch that clip later today, though having checked the prices on those OLEDs I think I'll have to look for something cheaper.

JohnnyShoulder

@gollumb82 If you can go see a demo of a couple of sets, I was a bit cynical of uhd, but now I've seen it for myself I can see what all the fuss is about. And this is just with films and TV, as I've got a OG ps4 I only get HDR for gaming.

We are now in a world of people being offended for other people who they think should be offended, who arent offended.

gollumb82

Ok, I'll try that. I've heard people say that HDR is more of a gamechanger than 4K itself, but it's always better to have the whole package. Thanks for the useful tips.

JohnnyShoulder

@gollumb82 No problem. Personally I'm finding 4k + hdr more of a game changer, but yet to experience that in gaming. HDR is good and an improvement but it's not blown me away or anything. I did have a very good SDR TV though. And I've turn off gaming mode as I found it was dulling everything, it all popped out as soon as I turned it off. I've yet to have a proper play around with the settings though, and finding anything online is tricky as my new TV is only available in Europe.

gollumb82

@JohnnyShoulder
Hmm, I did notice that game mode on my TV changes the image a bit, and not in a good way. I'll switch it off and see what happens. Thanks again.

BAMozzy

Super-sampling isn't a game changer. What its doing is using more pixels to sample from to determine the 'best' colour for 1 pixel. In the case of 4k super-sampling, you have 4 pixels for every single pixel at 1080p. Super-sampling is essentially looking at those 4 4k pixels to decide what colour the single 1080p pixel should be.

Every pixel can be just 1 colour - regardless of the resolution of the content. Super Sampling is essentially the opposite of upscaling where an image is spit apart to cover the 'screen size' with all the gaps given a 'colour'. If the gap happens to be on a hard edge - a black next to a white for example, when split apart to full the screen, upscaling wouldn't fill the gap with a black or white colour, but a grey which ends up softening the upscaled image. Super-sampling though would have 4 colours (at 4k) to decide which colour that single pixel should be - its sampling the colours of the 4 pixels that 4k would have to determine what colour to use. It maybe the same as what a native 1080p would be but it could also be different too.

Some may say the Super sampled 1080p image is a little more refined. If I had to choose between a super sampled HD image but with some minor dips to frame rate - the same as if you were playing on a 4k screen, or forcing the game to 1080p and the result gives a better frame rate - as games like Kingdom Hearts 3 or the Last Guardian do, then I would force 1080p every-time. The Pro isn't the best when it comes to 4k gaming and the increase in resolution the Pro offers often is 1440p or under. You are not losing that much by dropping down to 1080p - both images look soft because of the upscaling - so its often better to force 1080p rather than play at the increased resolution - and that's on a 4k screen too let alone those still using HD TV's.

The only time its beneficial to have super sampling on is the games that don't offer any frame rate boost by being forced to 1080p. If a game plays at locked 30fps regardless, Super-sampling is perhaps useful to HD TV users and has NO impact on 4k TV owners. Super-sampling is such a minor benefit and only beneficial to games that don't benefit from a boost in frame rates.

A pessimist is just an optimist with experience!

Why can't life be like gaming? Why can't I restart from an earlier checkpoint??

Feel free to add me but please send a message so I know where you know me from...

PSN: TaimeDowne

gollumb82

@BAMozzy
Wow, you sure know more about this stuff than I do! Thank you, that was very insightful. I already bid farewell to supersampling and I'm going to wait for OLED TVs to drop in price a bit before I buy one as they do seem impressive. Thanks everyone! I guess the thread can be locked now.

NoCode23

My PRO will whine with supersampling on while playing some games. So i leave it off, and with supersampling off my PRO is quiet enough for me.

Edited on by NoCode23

NoCode23

themcnoisy

@gollumb82 go all in on boost mode. Makes a huge difference to Yakuza, infamous ss and ff15. Boost mode is 100% the best way to play at 1080.

Super sampling on the other hand is a bit of a marketing phrase as bam alludes too. It doesn't actually improve anything as the same amount of pixels are on the screen.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

• Pages:

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic