Forums

Topic: Metal Gear Solid V OT

Posts 561 to 580 of 603

Th3solution

@Fight_Teza_Fight Did you play Peace Walker? Actually it’s the main one that serves as a direct prequel to MGSV. It can be enjoyable without having played it, but if you’re planning to skip Peace Walker then that’s the summary I’d read or watch on YouTube so that you’re up to date. Ground Zeroes picks up right after PW

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Th3solution

RogerRoger wrote:

Darn it, I did not see that reply from @colonelkilgore up there! Sorry about that, although it looks like we've given the same advice, so at least we didn't contradict one another!

…😂 Well ditto to that excepts replace @colonelkilgore with @RogerRoger

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

JohnnyShoulder

I've been hunting high and low for answer on the forum, but does anyone know if you need to play MGS4 before MGSV?!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Th3solution

@JohnnyShoulder 😂 Not sure how these “wavelength” things work, but apparently people can be on the same wavelength despite being separated by 6000 km of ocean.

JohnnyShoulder

@Th3solution And apparently the ability to being able to read!

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

RogerRoger

JohnnyShoulder wrote:

I've been hunting high and low for answer on the forum, but does anyone know if you need to play MGS4 before MGSV?!

Yes, you do. But only you.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Fight_Teza_Fight

@colonelkilgore @RogerRoger That’s great did not know they were chronically out of order! I’m going to head straight into Ground Zeroes.

@Th3solution I never did end up playing Peace Walker so I’ll watch a summary first.

Thanks guys. Been saving those games for way too long.

Hopefully MGS4 gets ported some day or gets on PSNow.

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

nessisonett

@Fight_Teza_Fight MGS 4 is on PS Now. Streaming isn’t for everyone but it’s honestly a lot more feasible than buying a PS3 for one game.

Plumbing’s just Lego innit. Water Lego.

Trans rights are human rights.

Thrillho

@Fight_Teza_Fight MGS4 is an okay MGS game but has some excellent set pieces that will go down a treat for fans of the series. Its wraps up the Solid Snake part of the story brilliantly and has some proper WTF moments towards the end. It is a lot of cutscenes though!

I played Peace Walker on PSP (one of only a few games that I did) and I'm amazed really that it got shunted onto a handheld device originally as it is quite a big part of the story to bridge MGS 3 and 5. It's part of the HD Collection that was on the PS3 so I would recommend trying to play that as well. I don't know if it's on the version on PS Now.

Thrillho

Kidfried

I never finished Peace Walker, the game was a bit too much of a grind for me, and I remember hating the boss battles.

I really loved MGSV, though. Still one of my favorites. Knowledge of IV or Peace Walker isn't essential, but you'll get a bit more mileage out of the game if you did, and are are to make any sense at all from the story.

Kidfried

ralphdibny

@Fight_Teza_Fight check out eBay. I just had a look and ps3s seem to be going for about £20-30 including postage

I've played both Peace Walker and MGSV GZ&TPP twice. Once with a fair gap between them and once one right after the other. I have to say that the MGSV duology was a lot more rewarding when I played it directly after Peace Walker as what little story it contains is so directly linked to PW that I think I missed a lot of details the first time I played it.

Probably worth watching a let's play of PW at least as you've already played it or booting up PW (if you end up getting a PS3) and listening to the tapes to brush up on the story before playing GZ.

As for 4, probably not essential to play before MGSV. 4 came out before Peace Walker anyway so you've already technically skipped it by playing PW!

Edit: oooo hang on a minute, I see you wrote that you beat the trilogy on Vita. Not sure whether you mean MGS 1, 2 and 3 or 2, 3 and PW

Edit 2: re read your second post now, disregard some of what I said 😅

Edit 3: my playtimes on peace walker have been 90 and 100+ hours for my first and second playthroughs. I can't remember what my first phantom pain playtime was but I don't think it was as long as my second which was like 130 hours

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

themcnoisy

@Fight_Teza_Fight play the game Teza. Skip GZ and go straight to the phantom pain.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

Fight_Teza_Fight

Sorry for the late reply everyone.
I watched a 4hour YouTube Peacewalker video/movie. Made the mistake that I could multitask playing something less story heavy (Disgaea 1), which hooked me straight in. Next game to start will be GZ.

@nessisonett Year long subscription ended a couple of months ago. Really should’ve taken advantage of that in hindsight. At least that’s an alternative to have. Streamed RDR(1) & that wasn’t a problem so MGS4 should be ok. Thanks.

@Thrillho Played the HD collection on the vita & it played great. Probably should’ve played PW, but at that time didn’t feel like playing a ‘spin off’. I usually skip them unless it’s Persona or Kingdom Hearts.
Ive not played the platinum MGS either & that’s supposed to be excellent.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

RogerRoger

@Fight_Teza_Fight If and when you do get the hankering to try Platinum Games' Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, know that it's set at the end of the timeline, after MGS4.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

colonelkilgore

As I mentioned in the Non PS4 Games thread, I finally started Metal Gear Solid 2 today. Haven’t managed a proper session but have probably got around 5 hours in. So frikkin’ cool. Something I’m enjoying (apart from the military/espionage with a hint of supernatural) is regardless of its age, the setting feels the most contemporary of the MGS games I’ve played so far. Kojima is so adept at for-seeing where civilisation is headed, its quite impressive.

I’ve just started clearing the bombs at the plant, so I met ’Iroquois Pliskin’ which was awesome. Considering its age it is still a helluva lot of fun tbh.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

colonelkilgore

Just played through the Big Mama reveal scene in MGS4… magnifique *chef’s kiss

**** DLC!

colonelkilgore

@RogerRoger @Fight_Teza_Fight @ralphdibny @themcnoisy @Thrillho @nessisonett @JohnnyShoulder @Keith_Zissou @LieutenantFatman and @AnyoneElseWhoMightKnow 😉

Guys I have an issue, I’ve now got to 98% complete on MGS2’s VR and Alternate Missions. Done all the difficult ones and just have MGS1’s Snake Hold Up missions left. Problem is, I can’t aim the assault rifle without firing it! I’ve done a bit or research (well googled it) and it was apparently touch sensitive back on PS2 (& on PS3 with a DualShock 3 I’d imagine] but my DualShock 3 is long dead and I’m using some 3rd Party effort.

I’ve also read that clicking L3 does the same thing… but it doesn’t seem to be doing anything for me (think it’s Xbox if I’m honest, though unclear). Surely there is something I can do here right? After probably 100 hours of numerous playthroughs, on numerous difficulties, boss runs, snake tales and 490 VR and Alternate missions, don’t tell me my hunt for the plat is gonna go down like this! 🥺

**** DLC!

Sorry, this topic has been locked.