Forums

Topic: Metal Gear Solid V OT

Posts 541 to 560 of 603

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger I know I don't believe in Karma as an actual thing (it's like luck in that it's observable but not actually caused by anything mystical as some people seem to believe) but I sure am observing some karma now 😅. Neighbors are so loud with their music. They are across the street and there's literally nothing I can do. It's too hot to close the window and it's literally a whole night wasted. Its not like I want to play any games or watch any TV/films when everything will have a backing track of loud pumping tunes from the neighbors. Ridiculous, it's not even a rare thing. Probably happens every other Saturday night if not every Saturday but tonight it's both particularly loud and particularly hot so I can't close my windows to mitigate it 😭 (can still hear it with windows closed but not as loud and I can almost drown it out with whatever im doing).

Beautiful song by the way! Why don't you like singing normally? Just curious but you don't have to answer or anything if you dont want to

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

Th3solution

@ralphdibny That stinks. I’ve never tried noise cancelling headphones with my console but it might be worth a try in your case.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

ralphdibny

@Th3solution far too expensive to be honest. Lookin at £100+ for decent ones. Wouldn't be able to sleep in them anyway which is the next activity that is being interrupted lol.

Cheers though, appreciate it. I will get some noise cancelling headphones at some point anyway just because they are on my radar. Just need some more dollar to do so 😅

See ya!

Th3solution

@ralphdibny Yes, they are pricey. But man, there’s a real opportunity cost for all the lost gaming hours. Of course another option is calling the cops and reporting a disturbance of the peace. That’s free and might take care of your issue. If it’s like here in the States they can give people a citation if they are being overly loud.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

ralphdibny

@Th3solution cheers, sorry for moaning lol. Just gets my goat sometimes!

Police can't do anything about loud noise in England. They'd only get involved if there was violence or threat of violence or something and even then, all they'd do is break up the violence so the music would carry on lol. (That's what it says on the Met Police website anyway which is the force that covers all/most London boroughs)

It's something that needs to be reported to the local council and documented over a long period of time before they will issue a letter and ultimately a fine if they deem the noise to be unreasonable. Not sure how unreasonable they'd find it to be honest, considering its a Saturday night but yeah, might be worth doing.

Of course it recommends just asking them to turn it down before making a complaint but to be honest I'm a bit scared to go round a house full of intimidating young lads having a party and asking them to turn it down. Plus, if I do eventually go down the council complaint route then they will know it was me who complained if I had already asked them in person which would cause all sorts of issues! Seems like the complaints process is a catch 22. In my opinion you'd want to do one or the other, not one preceding the other

Edited on by ralphdibny

See ya!

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny Yeesh, sounds like you had a rough night. You have my sympathy, regarding the neighbour noise. Do you live in an urban or suburban area?

That's a good shout from Sol, regarding noise-cancelling headphones. I have a pair which I use rather infrequently (because, whilst I live on the high street of a busy town centre, I'm kinda used to its constant background noise now) and it's incredible how effective they are. They can also be slightly disorienting because, by cutting off everything, they demonstrate just how much day-to-day background noise exists, even in quiet areas. That being said, if you've got inconsiderate jerk neighbours who are regularly disrupting your Friday and Saturday evenings, they'll be worth the investment.

I have many, many, many reasons for disliking singing as a general rule. I won't list all of them, but the most understandable I can mention is that, for me, music is an accompaniment. I primarily listen to it whilst doing other things, mainly writing, and so lyrics can cause distractions. Ever hold a conversation in the middle of a chatty crowd? It's that kinda feeling, and I'd hate for song lyrics to make me lose concentration on what I'm trying to type, otherwise I'm still in a dream, snake eater.

But otherwise, broadly speaking, it's a little bit of childhood trauma, a large helping of disdain for our sickeningly skewed celebrity culture, and a dash of personal preference.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger cheers, total suburbia for me so parties ring out loud across the semi detached rooftops. It's just so weird though, they are literally the only house that does it. I wonder if they realise how obnoxious it is being that no other house in the area plays window shakingly loud music

And fair enough about the singing, I will ask no more! Cheers for the tidbits that you did offer up!!

I think that's why I listen to music so little though tbh. I really don't like playing games with my own music because I don't feel like it's how the game is intended to be played. The only time I might is when there is a grind or something but it's so rare for me that I would hardly bother putting on some tunes. I mainly listen in the car and the only time at home that I think I could listen, is while surfing the net. But I don't surf the net for long enough periods for it to be worthwhile setting up a CD and also I don't have a good enough CD player to do that anyway

See ya!

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny Ah, gotcha. In those kinds of circumstances, chances are somebody else will complain before you snap, and they'll calm it down. Especially in this heat, when tempers are short.

It's a shame that modern life doesn't allow for much downtime. I'd love to be able to find the time to just sit and listen to an album, but I always feel like I've got more important things to be doing. Funny you should mention music whilst gaming because, occasionally when clearing the map of something like a Just Cause game, I'll put on some of my own music, like the soundtrack to a Bond film. Then I try and make my stunts work in time with the action tracks, and it helps me find fun moments in between the repetitive box-ticking. It's not enough for me to understand why Spotify is baked into everybody's PS4 profile pages, but then I don't play Fortnite or Minecraft so maybe I'm not supposed to.

You still use CDs? That's pretty cool. Most of mine are in storage, having been burned to MP3 and distributed amongst my various devices (PC, phone and PS3, mostly).

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger yeah I do try and buy albums on CD if I can. I think it's baked hard into my personality that digital content isn't a physical thing to actually be worth spending money on. Obviously I do it still though with games and streaming services but music, movies and TV (bar streaming), even books and comics, I just can't bring myself to buy a digital version. I know it's a weird way to look at it and I do think it's very old fashioned of me but yeah.

I do have an old hard drive where I ripped all my CDs using iTunes, circa 2005-2011 but once my iPod broke (beer spill while drunk), I didn't have much use for it. I still got it though because I have a bunch of like rare songs by Eminem that weren't on any CDs that I downloaded from whatever the popular downloading programme was at the time. I need to dig those out at some point.

Also, I think the different formats, bit rates, qualities etc. just confuse me. I can't imagine my old ripped digital catalogue is that good quality because I probably favoured storage over audio quality back then. I think the files would be too large to store if I ripped them at the quality I'd want them at now (if I could even work all that stuff out).

But, I do occasionally sign up to a free trial of Spotify to listen to some songs that I can't easily or cheaply buy CDs of. Often I will use it for like a day and then it will just be unused for the rest of its trial period which probably shows how useful a service like that is to me. I just don't think it's easy or reasonably priced tbh. Movie streaming has taken off because it's more or less pretty easy to navigate and is reasonably priced too, I don't feel the same about Spotify or Apple music. Obviously those services are quite popular so I suspect I am in the minority there!

The annoying thing about CDs is the shelf life though, especially if they are well listened too. I've got a number of oldies that I picked up to listen to recently only to be met with a lot of skipping. I listened to 50 cents first album on the Shady/Aftermath label recently and could only listen to about 5 out of the 20 tracks on the album 😅

Sorry for writing an essay there haha. I don't know why I felt the need to explain in such detail!

See ya!

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny You're all good; the detail is necessary, I'd argue, because the way we access and listen to music has gone through such a crazy transformation in recent years. During my short lifespan, we've gone from the Sony Walkman to Spotify and sometimes it makes my head spin, especially because I only interact with a very small, specific section of the art form.

Wanting to hold on to physical formats isn't weird, nor is it old-fashioned. I actually think it's quite smart because someday, at some point, your internet might go down. At least then, on that day, you'll still have some entertainment to hand. The fewer single points of failure in one's life, the better!

It's interesting that you drop Spotify pretty quickly whenever you sign up. Thanks for including that, because it just reinforces the fact that it wouldn't be for me and my super-niché preferences.

But it's certainly heading in a direction. I will still buy the occasional CD where possible (because, when ripped, the audio quality is slightly higher than that of Amazon's default for downloadable MP3s) but I often don't get given the option to because, particularly for the niché albums I want, artists and labels have realised that it's far, far cheaper just to upload a file someplace, instead of pressing discs and printing inlays. Like you, I do still want to "own" something, even if it's just a digital file on my PC's hard drive, so I buy and download my music, and store it alongside what I've ripped from my CD collection. That way, I can rename tracks and make my own OCD-satisfying playlists with 'em and whatnot.

When I do splash the cash on a musical treat, it's usually an import from Japan. I have quite a few videogame soundtracks from over there, because gaming music appeals to a wider audience and it therefore gets proper releases across multiple discs. To keep things vaguely on-topic, I have the physical soundtrack albums from MGS: Portable Ops, MGS4: Guns of the Patriots, MGS: Peace Walker and both of the Metal Gear Ac!d games. I wish I could afford the others, but they've become rare and are therefore prohibitively expensive (so I just have them digitally).

Making It So Since 1987

Kidfried

@ralphdibny Wait, how is any filming streaming service a better deal than Spotify?

Kidfried

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger do you remember the mini disc as well? It had the adverts with Mel B from the spice girls ripping CDs and making a mini disc mix tape. So weird considering the music industry's lukewarm response to ripping, some CDs had like a software or something that blocked them from being ripped!

The CDs are admittedly a bit difficult to store to be honest. If I could store them digitally and have access to them anywhere then I would but I don't have an iPod at the moment and I'm not even sure if they still sell them to be honest (iPod Touch isn't really my cup of tea). Off-brand MP3 players are like anything as well, you can never know if you are going to get a good one because people who review them will have different standards.

I'd love to get more game music but as you've mentioned, the ones I'd want are probably too expensive on CD. I think I will settle for making a mix tape of downloaded songs at some point though. There's a few tracks in the Yakuza games that have been a good listen. MGS is obviously a good one too.

I think if I get a hankering for some game music then I'll head to YouTube. One of the odd songs I listen to occasionally is the Street Fighter theme, I think it might be Ryu's Theme but not sure. It's just epic though, I love it!

Here are my Zelda soundtracks:

Untitled

They've had a good few listens, that Melodies of Time one was free with a Nintendo Magazine back in the day. I actually used the main Zelda theme from that CD as a reference for a remix I did for my music GCSE.

The other CDs are newer, I bought them when Breath of the Wild came out because I absolutely loved the soundtrack in that. I thought I might as well pick up Ocarina of Time too as it was fairly inexpensive and I love that soundtrack too. I think Twilight Princess came with the Wii U version actually.

@Kidfried maybe I just mean it's a better deal for me because I watch more films/TV than I listen to music. I've just looked up the prices and admittedly I'm a bit out of the loop as I didn't realise that Netflix was now £10/month. D+ and Amazon are £8 a month though. I think Spotify is £10/month? Not sure but it seems quite expensive for the amount I would personally use it. I've not heard of people sharing their Spotify sub either (again, maybe you can but I don't know a lot about it) whereas D+, Netflix and NowTV are shareable to an extent. Amazon is a bit more of a ballache though.

See ya!

Kidfried

@ralphdibny Spotify has a family account for I believe 15 pound per month, which can hold six profiles.

I also think Spotify (and Apple) is a better deal, because it has all music from major publishers. You can listen to Rolling Stones, Kendrick Lamar, Neutral Milk Hotel for one price. Whereas I can't even watch all Spielberg films on one service. So even if you're not a film buff, you need multiple services.

And yeah, most people I know listen way more music than they watch film, but obviously that's not true for everyone.

I only ever watch sports on my tv (which is not that often either) and I haven't touched Netflix in over two years or something. So I'm definitely not a typical millennial

Kidfried

ralphdibny

@Kidfried that's fair enough, I did think Spotify was more extensive and varied in terms of content but I wouldn't know enough about it to comment. I do think I wouldn't be up for doing film/TV streaming if I wasn't using shared accounts though. Paying for all of them would be way too expensive and as much of a rip off as I think Sky is.

I think I'm lucky that I don't like sports though! Otherwise my monthly bill would be through the roof. That or I'd be an alcoholic because I'd be watching it in the pub instead 😅

And thanks 😁

See ya!

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny The mini-disc passed me by, but I think I remember that advert, though! And I fell victim to that surge of anti-ripping technology in 2002, when the soundtrack for Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones came with a big warning on its cover saying that it would not play on a PC or Mac. It's the only Star Wars soundtrack I've had to buy digitally, in order to put on other devices.

Do you have a smartphone? I've transferred a small, varied selection of music to my phone's memory, meaning I've always got something portable to listen to, should the need arise (which is admittedly a rare occasion, so rare that I often forget my headphones anyway).

That's a pretty sweet collection of Zelda albums! Once it's cooled down, I'll dig out some of my gaming soundtracks and post some photographs of them.

YouTube is great for gaming music fan remixes. There are some real talented folks out there!

Making It So Since 1987

Fight_Teza_Fight

So I’ve been slowly working through my PS4 backlog, but there are 2 games that I simply can’t start- MGS V GZ & MGS V.

Trouble is that I beat the trilogy on vita (years ago), but never been able to start MGS 4- despite owning the game.
My PS3 is busted & there’s no one I’d be able to borrow one from. Buying one for one game seems like a waste of money so that’s a no start for me.

So I need some advice:
Is it worth just watching the cutscenes?
Should I watch a let’s play?
Should I keep holding out hope for a port?
Or
Should I just move on to Ground Zeroes?

I kind of want to experience the absurdity of a Kojima game, but at this point I kind of want to move on.
Thanks in advance!

Lives, Lived, Will Live.
Dies, Died, Will Die.
If we could perceive time for what it really was,
What reason would Grammar Professors have to get out of bed?- Robert & Rosalind Lutece

colonelkilgore

@Fight_Teza_Fight so I’ve been working my way through the series this year… albeit in a goofy order. I started with MGSV… and at the time had no intention of playing the others but I enjoyed it so much that I had to play the others (I have MGS2, MGS4 and MGRising left to play).

Basically, due to where V sits in the series chronology (after 3 and Peace Walker but before Metal Gear Solid) I think you’ll be fine having not played 4. I wouldn’t watch cut scenes or a let’s play though… you never know if/when a PS3 may make itself available to you… or if a PS5 remaster is announced. It won’t spoil MGSGZ or MGSV not having played it,

V has its detractors as the story, which is normally front-and-centre with Metal Gear does take a backseat but the gameplay is best-in-series. It’s so good, I’m considering picking up a PS3 version to play the whole thing (the PS4 plat took me 183 hours) all over again.

Edited on by colonelkilgore

**** DLC!

RogerRoger

@Fight_Teza_Fight Given the placement of both MGSV games in the series' timeline, I don't think you've got anything to worry about by skipping MGS4. Ground Zeroes is a direct sequel to MGS: Peace Walker, which you'll have already completed as part of the trilogy.

The chronological order of the "important" games is as follows:

1. MGS3: Snake Eater
2. MGS: Peace Walker
3. MGSV: Ground Zeroes
4. MGSV: The Phantom Pain
5. Metal Gear
6. Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
7. Metal Gear Solid
8. MGS2: Sons of Liberty
9. MGS4: Guns of the Patriots

Whilst it's true that both MGSV games lay groundwork and provide context for what's to come, I can't think of anything that'd be genuinely baffling without having played MGS4. It's more of a bridge between the story's Cold War era and the 21st Century games starring Solid Snake. Would I hold out hope for an MGS4 port? Hmm. That one's tricky. Konami are unpredictable at the best of times, and we're long overdue a "Hey, we could be milking this brand name for money!" realisation from them, but it still seems a little unlikely. I think we'd get a remake of the PSone game before anything else.

So whether you wanna watch a Let's Play or not is kinda your call but, as of right now, I'd say you're safe to get underway with the MGSV games. Hope you enjoy 'em!

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

Darn it, I did not see that reply from @colonelkilgore up there! Sorry about that, although it looks like we've given the same advice, so at least we didn't contradict one another!

Making It So Since 1987

Sorry, this topic has been locked.