Forums

Topic: Metal Gear Solid V OT

Posts 521 to 537 of 537

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny Wow, okay. I wasn't expecting you to start Survive so soon, and I certainly wasn't expecting you to be so positive about it (on balance, at least)! Sorry to hear that the reason you picked it straight up, the controls, was one of the elements they changed. Thanks for writing up your thoughts thusfar; it sounds like everything I'd heard about before, but yet somehow it still kinda works. The idea of being able to fully explore the Afghanistan map is quite appealing, even if said map is packed with zombie-esque creatures (not my favourite). You'll have to let me know how it ends, and whether you reckon it's satisfying enough to give a look-see somewhere down the line!

You're right, it was the Patriot. No idea what I was thinking, that's really iconic! What a perfect illustration of how long it's been for me; I really need to replay the series soon!

Ah, I love a good floor-clipping glitch! Hope it didn't spoil your game too much, though?

PSN ID: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger no worries, somehow I don't think it would have been as good when it came out, even now my prejudices toward it due to the situation around it make it hard to enjoy properly.

I have to start it, I have to finish it, need to move on lol. The last two 100 hour MGS games have really slowed up my progress and lockdown will probably end soon (if it hasnt already, I try not to watch the news) so I need to play more games while I have the guilt-free time to do so haha

I think the map is a lot smaller than Afghanistan, and you can't see very far because there is this "mysterious" dust around. Also you are limited by how much oxygen you have in the tank while you are exploring. They also use this kind of really specific "fog of war" type map exploration, so you have to visit places to see them on the map but the routes are so direct that you often just get long lines of map drawn, it's kind of weird.

Yeah zombies were lame at the time this come out, way overused in every single piece of media. I like the classics but it always garners an eyeroll when they get added to stuff. Even the skull infested humans in MGSV which Survive's "wanderers" are clearly based on were a bit like meh. I did like the skulls though, especially the female Borg snipers!

Floor clipping didn't ruin everything, I spent like half hour underground just seeing what I could do there which was not alot really. I sort of hoped i would get stuck under there so I could stop my playthrough as I'd already done the final story mission and the last two were just the harder versions of older missions. I just returned to the helicopter in the end and everything was back to normal.

ralphdibny

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny We're not fully out of lockdown yet, so you've got time; that being said, if Survive does drag on for another 100 hours or more then, yeah, you'll probably be glad to see the back of it! What are some of the other games you've got lined up to play?

Hmm. It does sound very survival-focused which is cool in a way, but very cliché in another. Particularly if a lot of the map is recycled, as you suspect. Yeah, at least the Skulls felt fresh and were classic Kojima adversaries in design and implementation; spinning off a whole hoard of them and making them mindless brain-eaters is equally, alas, classic Konami. Have there been more linear, story-driven missions throughout the campaign, or is it just a lot of roaming with loose cutscenes every now and again?

Ah, gotcha. At least you could wrap things up, even if you kinda didn't want to!

Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger I don't think survive will be that long, the campaign is about 22 hours according to HLTB, doubt I'll put any time into the online portion. There are some cutscenes (portions of which are recycled from ground zeroes) but alot of the story is told through that kind of talking head way of doing things, the text comes up next to the head but at least it's fully voiced. Yeah it's split up into main missions and side missions, you do have to gather resources through side missions and free roam to be prepared for alot of the main missions though.

Not sure what I'll play next, I'm tempted by some of the ps plus games that I guess have relatively short campaigns like cod ww2 and sniper elite 4. I still need to knock resident evil on the head some time this week too. I've got 3 more gears of war games to play on game pass as well and also I'm quite interested in playing that Hellblade game. I bought star wars battlefront 2 ages ago but haven't got around to that yet, I assume the campaign is fairly short on that. Also a gazillion games on Switch, need to finish the original Doom because they kept adding more levels (and it's hard) so I can continue playing that series! I have to get around to red dead 2 as well at some point, I started it when it came out but got distracted by other games lol

What are you playing at the moment/planning to play?

I was reading some quotes of Big Boss' nerdgasms about different guns and it really reminded me of the main character in American Psycho (Pat Bateman). I don't know if you read the book or seen the film but that character goes on similar tangents about his interests, which amusingly are different Pop music artists. A lot of it made it into the film as voice over and dialogue but the book, which is told from a first person narrative, has entire chapters that are literally just about Whitney Houston and Genesis. Made me laugh thinking back to that because it is a really funny book/film.

ralphdibny

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny Talking heads? Hmm. All well and good for the codec calls in earlier games, but I'd kinda expect more from the most recent game in the series. Here's hoping you can see it through without too much resource grinding (which sounds like it might be a thing if going for 100% as it usually is in these kinds of games) and that you're somewhere around that HLTB time!

Short shooter campaigns are the perfect antidote to sweeping epics, yes. I've got a couple of those from PS Plus as well, including Modern Warfare Remastered and Sniper Elite 4. Confirming that, yes, the campaign in Star Wars: Battlefront II is short, around eight hours if you stop and look at everything, six if you rush things. It sounds like you've got a good variety of things to pick from, which can be a blessing and a curse; sometimes I stop and look at my seventy-strong backlog and think "Yeah, it's too much, I can't decide!" so I hope you can settle on something quickly!

I've got a half-finished save on DOOM 3 which I need to get back to, but I wanna start The Last Guardian as I've been meaning to for ages, and it finally feels like the right time.

Never made that connection to American Psycho before, although I'll admit to having avoided the film for a long time, as I can't stand Christian Bale (but I've seen bits and pieces of it over the years, usually out of context). I'm more likely to read the book; will keep it in mind, cheers!

Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger it's his best film to be fair, though I'm probably biased because it's one of my favourite films/books. Christian Bale is a weird one, he's normally quite solid in whatever he does but he is better in non-generic roles. I sort of went off him post terminator salvation but there's been a few films with him in since then that look quite good but I haven't seen. He's a great actor but I probably wouldn't pick a fight with him haha

There's quite a few cutscenes to be fair, and tbh MGSV is lacking in cut scenes compared to the earlier games too, alot of the story in that game is garnered from the tapes you listen to.

It's kinda why the lockdown has been quite good for me, instead of having to worry about work and how much time I have and being constantly knackered, I can just pick a game or activity and go with it. I really am not looking forward to going back to work and I probably won't seeing as I'm on a zero hour contract anyway and I don't think it will be safe. My furlough ends this week but I've saved up enough to see me through a few more months at least.

Ah yeah, the last guardian is unplayed on my shelf too! I loved ico and only made it about halfway through SotC, not sure if it's worth going through them again before playing last guardian though. Doom 3 is wicked but similarly ive only made it about half way through on the BFG edition for PS3! I had the pc version back when it came out originally but not the (good enough) PC to play it on.

I think my backlog (as long as I've been thinking about it, probably goes as far back as the Wii 😂 but I probably have a few GameCube games that I haven't finished still!

ralphdibny

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny Yeah, I've never rated him. He's barely tolerable in Batman Begins but otherwise, I tend to steer clear of his films. Still, I shouldn't let that hold me back; a film is more than one actor, after all.

And as somebody who barely listened to any of the tapes, it's little wonder I can still be surprised by nuggets of plot information I read about from MGSV. It's one thing when you've got a big RPG like Mass Effect and you're given a bunch of lore to read, but I always forgot to queue up a tape on my Walkman when wandering about the maps. I've caught up on a lot since (thank you, Metal Gear Wiki) but I much preferred listening to the soundtrack and focusing on taking out soldiers.

Sorry to hear you've likely lost your job, but I'm glad you've got stability for the next couple months, as I'm convinced we're not out of the woods yet. We're probably headed for a second lockdown (I used to work in emergency planning and response, and I've been astounded at some of the actions taken, but that's another long and boring conversation). Enjoy it whilst you can, my friend!

I've convinced myself to finish DOOM 3 before starting The Last Guardian, and got through a big chunk of it earlier today. I'm nearing the end, but there are DLC campaigns that'll sit there, making me think I haven't finished it properly, so that's probably the rest of my week now!

Hey, I have unfinished GBA games, as well as a handful of PSone and PS2 games, too!

Making It So Since 1987

ralphdibny

@RogerRoger haha not in this case. It's more or less about a self absorbed person in a world of self absorbed people and it's told from a first person perspective so you will get a lot of Christian bale talking about his own character a lot.

Don't worry about my job, I haven't lost it, I am sure I can go back in months or a year because it's zero hour. It goes both ways, they can offer me as little or as much work as they want and I'm free to turn it down or take it as I please. I'm just not ready and I have little confidence in my company prioritising our health over the job considering it was bad enough before the coronavirus. Health and safety seems to be a box ticking exercise with little regard for common sense. What's the point of earning the dough if I'm not alive to spend it?

Honestly I was a bit surprised the UK even locked down at all and I'd be very surprised if it did again considering the national debt that we have apparently accrued. I don't agree with the prioritisation of money over health but I do get that one affects the other. Seeing as the UK is going that way though, I am going to stand fast in my spot as long as possible because I don't want me or my loved ones to die basically. It might seem silly or selfish but I guess it is what it is!

Yeah I kept forgetting the tapes when I played it years ago. I've made sure I've listened to every single one this time though!

ralphdibny

KratosMD

Man just seeing activity in this thread, as well as watching other people play the game, has really put me in the mood to play through MGSV again now. It still really stings that I lost my save file of 40 hours of playtime, but at least it's been a fairly long time now since I last played the game so I've forgotten most of it now. I honestly might start a new playthrough this month since I really want to finish the game this time around, but we'll see.

But man, I can't believe it's been almost two years now since I last played the game. It sort of feels nostalgic to look through gameplay clips and reminiscing. Even listening to some of the old songs is nostalgic:

Can't help but feel a need to salute every time the song gets to the one minute mark. I really love this game.

Edited on by KratosMD

KratosMD

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny Ah. Thanks for the warning, then!

And fair enough... in fact, more than that, I applaud your caution. If more people had your attitude, we'd have defeated this blasted virus by now. It isn't silly or selfish in the slightest; quite the opposite, it's selfish of the corporations and politicians to endanger people's lives because they've lost 10% of their millions on the stock market. The national economy is separate from that, and every other country is in the same situation, so the world's gonna look rather different once things settle back down. Like you, I'd quite like to see that day, so I'm playing it as safe as possible.

There's somebody on YouTube who collected together all the important tapes, and I listened to them one day whilst I was between games. It's such a shame Kojima wasn't given the budget to show some of it, but there are other crucial scenes I'm glad are left as audio-only, particularly the darker content. It's hideously bleak at times, and not at all comfortable to listen to!

@KratosMD Here's hoping you're able to enjoy your return and see it through this time, as it's one heck of an atmospheric game (thanks in no small part to the music).

I never played the online component, but its theme is one of my favourites from the entire franchise.

Making It So Since 1987

johncalmc

I absolutely hate Metal Gear Solid V but for some reason every now and again I get an inkling to go back and have another bash at it to see if I'm over how much I hate it.

Edited on by johncalmc

johncalmc

Twitter:

ralphdibny

@KratosMD what happened to your save? I can't believe I'm just over here deleting my save to play it again 😂. I think this will be the last time though, I don't think I will play it again, I might carry on trying to get s ranks and developing everything I can. Storywise though, it is better to start again because of all the pretty important cutscenes you'd miss if you just played through all the missions again on a completed save. It's pretty crazy that without the option to start a new save you could literally complete the game and have no option to see all of the optional and mostly very cool cut scenes.

@johncalmc what didnt you like about it out of interest? I think for me, it is definitely a weird one. All the extra news about it at the time to do with the Kojima/konami conflict definitely affected my perception of it. It had a really strange pacing and that extra info from the news always just made me wonder if the game was complete or if there was substantial content missing from it. I think for a long time, even though I thought it was a great game, I always thought it was the worse out of all the MGS games. Additionally it was a bit out of left field, I hadn't played peace walker at the time but I genuinely didn't think there was much story left to tell after mgs4 but obviously I ended up playing and loving both peace walker and 5 even though they were massively different from the older games. I think my recent replaythrough, having known what I'm getting without the high expectations I had when I played it the first time has made me appreciate it a lot more. Also I think generally the older I've got and the more my own ego has shrunk has kind of made me realise that one man doesn't make a game. The non Kojima mgs games I've played have all been pretty/really good and while they have missed a bit of that cinematic flair, they are still awesome fun games with both interesting and silly stories.

@RogerRoger I'm glad we are on the same page on that at least! I didn't want to go too deep into it for fear of attracting the ire of the rest of the largely capitalist society we live in lol.

Yeah I couldn't believe I didn't pick up on some of that darker stuff the first time I played it. Chico being forced to have sex with Paz in Ground zeroes, Huey murdering Strangelove by locking her in the AI pod and those soldiers trying to rape Quiet toward the end of Phantom Pain. It really is mental thats in the game at all.

ralphdibny

johncalmc

ralphdibny wrote:

@johncalmc what didnt you like about it out of interest? I think for me, it is definitely a weird one. All the extra news about it at the time to do with the Kojima/konami conflict definitely affected my perception of it. It had a really strange pacing and that extra info from the news always just made me wonder if the game was complete or if there was substantial content missing from it. I think for a long time, even though I thought it was a great game, I always thought it was the worse out of all the MGS games. Additionally it was a bit out of left field, I hadn't played peace walker at the time but I genuinely didn't think there was much story left to tell after mgs4 but obviously I ended up playing and loving both peace walker and 5 even though they were massively different from the older games. I think my recent replaythrough, having known what I'm getting without the high expectations I had when I played it the first time has made me appreciate it a lot more. Also I think generally the older I've got and the more my own ego has shrunk has kind of made me realise that one man doesn't make a game. The non Kojima mgs games I've played have all been pretty/really good and while they have missed a bit of that cinematic flair, they are still awesome fun games with both interesting and silly stories.

I mainly loved the MGS games for their stories - flaws and all - and the story in Metal Gear Solid V is a catastrophic mess and blatantly unfinished. Gameplay wise it's pretty good, but once you've done one or two missions you've played the whole thing - unbelievably repetitive. No bueno.

johncalmc

Twitter:

LieutenantFatman

@johncalmc
I agree with you, MGS5 definitely had some neat ideas for its gameplay but the story was a big disappointment and clearly unfinished.

I loved MGS 1, 2, 3 and 4. Hence the Fatman part of my username, one of the many fun antagonists throughout the series.

LieutenantFatman

ralphdibny

@johncalmc @LieutenantFatman yep fair enough! It is a bit of a lowish point for the series story wise even if it is a highish point in others, a lot of the main missions (what they call the wet work) do seem to have very little to do with the story as a whole. I think a lot of the story is told within the tapes though, which after peace walker I was quite used to. At least you can play the tapes while actually playing the game this time around instead of staring at a picture of whoever's talking.

The lack of unique villains was a bit disappointing but one thing I found was that playing this straight after peace walker made this game make a whole lot more sense. It's a direct sequel to peace walker in so many ways and I think, especially as I hadn't listened to all the PW tapes the first time around, what little that happened in phantom pain just went straight over my head.

That being said I thought Skull Face was a bit of a throwaway villain the first time around too but I actually grew to love him this time with his domino mask and his Charlton Heston style voice!

ralphdibny

nessisonett

The best bit in MGSV is when you get the rocket hand and start sniping people with it.

Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that's the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.

RogerRoger

@ralphdibny I don't think MGSV would get made / released today. Can you imagine that late-game scene with Quiet being accepted in this post-MeToo world?

@nessisonett The first time I took my brand new Rocket Arm out for a spin, its guidance controls caught me off-guard and I accidentally punched D-Horse right in the face. It knocked him unconscious and lowered our bond; as a result, I never, ever used the Rocket Arm again.

Making It So Since 1987

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic