Forums

Topic: Horizon: Zero: Dawn

Posts 761 to 780 of 787

Gremio108

@RogerRoger I haven't bothered with the balloons at all, maybe because I keep forgetting about them. I agree about tying the robots down - it instantly makes me feel sorry for them, even if they've been kicking my are for ten minutes. @Ralizah the DLC has forced me to expand my arsenal and as a result I'm glad I played it.

My eldest son had started playing it, and he's using tactics that I either didn't know about or once knew but have since forgot. This knowledge, coupled with the weapons I'll get from the Frozen Wilds, is making me eye up an Ultra Hard playthrough. By my reckoning that's the only trophy I won't have by the time I'm done, so I'm tempted to give it a go.

Good job, Parappa. You can go on to the next stage now.

PSN: Hallodandy

Gremio108

@RogerRoger Also I've never played the second Parappa, one of my biggest gaming regrets. I'm sort of waiting for a remaster that probably isn't coming.

Gremio108

This game reminds me of Dark Souls in a way, in that everyone swaps stories about how they handle the different enemies. For example you guys don't like the Glinthawks whereas I quite like fighting them. On the other hand, I can't cope with those stupid chicken-like Longleg things. They have a fire attack which reads just like their regular melee and it gets me every time, and then they jump away, leaving me thrashing at thin air with my spear

Edited on by Gremio108

mookysam

Glinthawks were my nemesis until late in the game I did a hunting mission where the objective was to tie them down with the ropecaster. Why I hadn't thought to use it against them before that point. 😂 Before then I'd primarily been firing double fire arrows which would make them crash to the ground, but aiming could be difficult with a fast moving air target. By far the most difficult enemy in the game is the digging mole monstrosity. Absolute nightmare inducing hateful demon of death. Thunderjaws? No problem. Stealthily shoot off their weapons with a well placed tearblast arrow and then fire the disc launchers back at them. If you're careful you can even avoid taking damage. But the moles? Ugh. By the time you blast off all of their digging hand things to stop them tunnelling their health is almost depleted anyway.

Black Lives Matter
Trans rights are human rights

RogerRoger

Finally (finally!) finished the DLC's story this evening. I've got a few outstanding tasks I want to complete tomorrow, aiming for a handful of just-within-reach trophies before I clear HDD space.

My biggest takeaway from replaying the whole thing is the quality of NPCs and dialogue in The Frozen Wilds when compared to the core game. Seriously, aside from one or maybe two outliers, all the people Aloy encounters before entering the Cut are bland and ultimately forgettable, but the DLC is a whole other story. There's an endearing charm to the wandering band of young hunters, lumbered with a tragic backstory (like everybody else) yet also making time for comedy, as they try out terrible names for their merry band. The ageing, life-weary siblings at the centre of the expansion's main thrust are way more human than their equivalents from before, giving the generic "stop the bad guy" plot some much needed weight. They even refine Aloy's character, sharpening her sarcastic, no-nonsense edge whilst allowing her to express clear opinions and, occasionally, have a bit of a laugh.

If this is the direction a sequel is going, then I'm really excited because the characters I've just been spending time with have much more, well... character. I remembered them as I replayed, which is more than I can say for a vast majority of the mix-n'-match folks populating the bigger map.

When stuck in the main story, there were instances where I doubted my recollection of Horizon, but now it's clear that I've simply been basking in the glow from the last bit I played.

Horizon is unquestionably a very good game, but The Frozen Wilds makes it a great one.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

Octane

@RogerRoger All I can say is; agreed! No, seriously, Frozen Wilds is really good. Have you done the challenge missions as well?

Octane

RogerRoger

@Octane Not yet. Might do if it's the last place I can squeeze some extra XP as I'm aiming for the Level 60 trophy (am currently Level 56, so it'd be rude not to).

You're talking about the hunter I saved, who pops up at the Hunting Grounds, yes?

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

So, I beat the Ultra-Hard NG+ playthrough a day or two ago. Wasn't too bad, owing to the fact that I started with a beefy load-out filled with my favorite end-game weapons.

I also barreled through the game at an unprecedently speedy rate. It's quite remarkable how little of this gigantic game is actually required for completion, although I suppose the same is true of the majority of open-world RPGs. A more surprising note, though: several action set-pieces are completely skippable. There was one enemy cultist ambush that didn't require me to kill them, so I just... galloped through on my mount and left them in the dust. I actually pushed through the game so fast I ripped through an active bandit camp and left the scene before the surprised enemies even thought to start attacking me.

All ultra-hard really seems to do is take away enemy life-bars, make their attacks a lot more damaging, and make it a bit harder to kill them. But the AI is the same, and the same tactics work, so, in general, it wasn't too bad.

I can finally delete this game off my hard drive!

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

RogerRoger

@Ralizah Ah, nuts. If I'd have known, I might've been tempted to go for the platinum but, like you, I've just deleted the game from my HDD and re-installing it would be effort.

I did wonder if they'd trim the length for New Game Plus. Well done for seeing it through!

Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

@RogerRoger They do trim a bit from NG+, because you start it as adult Aloy, so it bypasses that tedious child segment entirely. Otherwise, it's identical, but you have access to end-game equipment from the start.

RogerRoger

@Ralizah ...and here I was, thinking a ten-year-old Aloy wearing Shadow Carja armour and wielding a staff which spits lightning would've been awesome. Ah well.

Making It So Since 1987

Octane

@RogerRoger It's the only platinum I got to this day lol. I remember being so close, only a few collectible, so I just went for it.

Octane

RogerRoger

@Octane It's the Hunting Grounds which held me back. Never got on with them, as they ask you to play a whole bunch of specific styles well, whereas I'm more of a "stick to one path and learn it" kinda guy. I was tempted to give them another try, but I had other things to play!

Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

@RogerRoger A few of the trials required fairly narrow strategies if you wanted to get the best times, but otherwise I liked the challenge they provided.

Also, that blast wire trial is the only way I ever managed to consistently harvest the hundreds of cans of Blaze I needed to keep my heavily explosives-dependent playstyle viable. With the sneaky armor I could easily stealth kill most of the grazers before they knew what hit them (not so in Ultra-Hard, where you can't kill more than one or two without spooking the herd), and then with harvest arrows was methodically able to gather 24 cans from each corpse.

Edited on by Ralizah

Thrillho

The weapons you get for completing the trials were ridiculous though.

Thrillho

RogerRoger

@Ralizah @crimsontadpoles Yeah, it's possible I tried them too early (stayed at the first Hunting Ground in my first playthrough until I got as many medals as possible; fell short of a gold and it wound me up) so I might've been alright going back to them, but with such a vast, activity-filled map I never felt the urge.

Wait, you could get how much Blaze from a single Grazer...?! Not that I ever really needed Blaze. Echo Shells were my most prized commodity (and later Sparkers, for the DLC's lightning gun). Always seemed to run low on Wire, too. The game seemed to expect you to hunt machines in between objectives and locations, and I would occasionally stand my ground if attacked en route, but otherwise I sold a bunch of high-end stuff to be able to buy in bulk from Merchants.

Making It So Since 1987

Ralizah

@RogerRoger End of the game was definitely the best time to go all-in on 100% completing the trials, as they're extremely gear-dependent affairs.

lol I don't think I even used the lightning gun after upgrading it. Or electric weapons in general.

Harvest arrows allow you gather six units of a resource if you sever it with them (I tried using multi-arrows to see if this effect stacked, but it unfortunately doesn't). So, every four blaze canister on a grazer is six potential canisters if shot off with one of those arrows. So the most efficient way of doing so is quickly stealth killing the grazers to minimize damage to their components, and then methodically dismantling the canisters with your harvest arrows.

I believe I told you before I went a bit crazy with the blast wires and proximity mines, right? So I needed to farm a LOT of blaze. This became even more important with that flamethrower in the DLC, which consumes a crazy amount of blaze.

Edited on by Ralizah

RogerRoger

@Ralizah Lightning makes for prettier pictures. That was my only deciding factor!

Oh, so that's what Harvest arrows were for! Must've missed the memo, as I fired off a couple, saw they did barely any damage and thought "well, I'll save them for never" before returning to my tried-and-tested method of Tearblast to expose, then Precision to kill. Clever harvesting strategy, by the way!

Those DLC weapons are hungry blighters, yes. It came as a shock when I suddenly needed Sparkers, given that most of my inventory was full of Ridgewood bundles and Wire. I ended up selling most of my modifications and outfits, to make enough Shards to stock up on hundreds of Sparkers, alongside Echo Shells (which are really expensive, by the way) and Wire whenever I ran low.

All that gameplay choice, all those diverse weapons, and it still boils down to hoarding scrap!

Making It So Since 1987

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.