Forums

Topic: General PlayStation 4 Thread

Posts 1,681 to 1,700 of 1,795

Bentleyma

@KilloWertz Yeah, Mass Effect Legendary Edition has four separate trophy lists, but when you highlight the game they are grouped together.

Untitled

Edited on by Bentleyma

Bentleyma

PSN: Bentleyma-

RogerRoger

@Bentleyma- You're right, Shenmue is a bit of a weird one... oh, you mean in terms of its presentation on a PSN profile page? Okay, sure, yeah, that too!

Absolutely right, though. All my other collections, trilogies and whatnot group together in the same way as you've shown above, but it's just the Shenmue HD Collection which separated itself into its individual games. It does so at the point of install, though, even though both games read from the same disc, so honestly I think it's more surprising that the PS5 lumps them together.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

KilloWertz

@Bentleyma- I don't really look at the trophy lists that way, so I didn't know. Now that I think about it, I'm not sure why I thought it was weird Maybe just because I went from playing Mass Effect Legendary Collection on Xbox to the PS5. All collections have their games separated when looking at your trophy lists on the Trophy page, so I'm not sure what I was thinking.

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

sorteddan

So I was reading an article about latest games to go to arcade archives collection and ended up browsing the full list of games available. Much to my surprise it included a game I had searched for in the ps store on occasion - namely Bomb Jack - my favourite all time coin-op. So back to ps store search again and no it's not there. Back to Google and turns out it is available in US and Europe but not UK. I cannot find a reason why this is the case, any ideas?
So looks like I'm gonna have to go down the route of creating US account with fake address etc then buying dollar credit for that account just so I can play it. Seems a lot if messing around. Why is it not just available here???
Suppose I could just go play on MAME for the millionth time and save my money though so it's not devastating... just seems weird to me that I can't buy it on PS4 where I live

“We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we pretend to be.”

LtSarge

Pardon my ignorance, but there's one thing I've been wondering about regarding the PS4 for a long time and that's the way it installs games now. I remember when I bought mine back in 2014 and whenever I put in a game disc, I would have to spend like an hour or so for the game to be installed before being able to play it. But that seems to have been changed now because as I've been playing more games on PS4, I've realised that I don't need to install anything anymore. I only need to download any potential patches. For example, I just put in my disc of Resident Evil 4 and after a second or so I could start up the game immediately. That's absolutely incredible! On the other hand, I started up Forza Motorsport 5 on my original Xbox One the other day and had to wait an hour for it to be installed, just like how it was on the PS4 back in the day. So I'm guessing Sony managed to change this with a system update or something? I'm just impressed that they've found a way for users to access physical games much quicker. It honestly feels like I've gone back in time to when you would just put in a disc and the game would start up right away.

LtSarge

Thrillho

@LtSarge I never remember older games having to be installed on the PS4 as I thought it was mostly read off the disc. I only really remember any significant installation being for RDR2.

I was surprised when I first got the PS5 how long it would take to install a game before I can play it.

Thrillho

LtSarge

@Thrillho Oh really? I swear I remember having to wait a long time before being able to play any of my physical games on PS4. Maybe I'm mixing it up with games that got huge patches.

Either way, it's still cool that PS4 is able to do that even if it's that's been a thing since the beginning, lol.

LtSarge

Th3solution

@LtSarge I’ve not played many PS4 discs lately but it seems like it’s highly variable depending on the game as to whether it loads up right away or has to upload an hours worth of information to the HDD. It may be that the firmware has better ability to queue up the right files in order of priority so the essentials get loaded quickly.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

KilloWertz

@Keith_Zissou As far as I know, it pretty much was a total secret until it dropped yesterday. Not sure why, but I will definitely be playing it whenever the next gen version releases. Not sure if it will be much better, but since I have plenty of other stuff to play right now, it can wait.

I'm glad they went the extra mile and even included new content.

PSN ID/Xbox Live Gamertag: KilloWertz
Switch Friend Code: SW-6448-2688-7386

Bentleyma

@LtSarge @Th3solution I think it might be related to file size? 🤔 I can’t imagine that Resident Evil 4 takes up much space compared to something like Death Stranding.

Bentleyma

LtSarge

@Th3solution @Bentleyma- I haven't noticed any PS4 game needing to be installed ever since this change. I started playing Wolfenstein 2 on PS4 a few weeks ago and when I put the disc in the only thing I needed to do was download the game's patches before I could start playing. And that game's size is around 50 GB, so it's not the difference in size.

I actually looked up videos from how it was back when the PS4 came out and it looked like this:

So back then, you had to wait for the game to be installed (up to a certain amount apparently) before you could even start it up. I never see that anymore.

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

Th3solution

@LtSarge Interesting. I’d expect the PS5 to be doing this, but it still has a delay when you put the first disc in, I think it took about 20-30 min to download the file from my Returnal disc before I could play.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Bentleyma

@LtSarge The PS4 definitely still has to install games, but some games let you start before the game is fully installed.

Edited on by Bentleyma

Bentleyma

LtSarge

@Bentleyma- Yeah that seems to be the case, but the thing is that you can start a game up immediately and the install process seems to be very fast considering you'll never run into a screen where it says "wait 10 minutes for this section to be installed". That's how it was in the early days of PS4 where you had to install a fairly large chunk at first and then the game would tell you that you can only play through the first level or something like that. There's nothing like that now so it's not even relevant that the game is installing in the background because you'll just keep playing like normal and not notice anything different. It doesn't disrupt your experience in any way.

Either way, I just like how you don't need to wait at all now before you can play a game (disregarding patches of course).

Edited on by LtSarge

LtSarge

Ralizah

So, I was going to start playing God of War (2018) today, but, despite not having had an issue with Horizon Zero Dawn, the moment my system booted the game, the fans started going crazy and, after a few moments, the system itself was hot to the touch.

Might just leave my PS4 alone until I work up the energy to open the case and clean it. Can't imagine why else this would be happening.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Th3solution

@Ralizah Apparently God of War is notorious for making the PS4 into a mini wind tunnel, but honestly I didn’t really notice my machine being any louder or hotter than with any other large game. I cleaned out the PS4 once over the last two years, but now that I think about it, it was probably a few months before I played GoW. I played off a disc, by the way, which I’ve always thought a disc game would run the machine harder and hotter than a digital game but I have no idea if that’s true.

nomither6

@Ralizah i don't know what model you have , but my pro always does the same thing . i wouldn't worry about it , this aint the xbox360 , haha .

Edited on by nomither6

nomither6

nomither6

@Th3solution its the game itself ; its a demanding game , especially the graphics. it doesn't matter if its physical or digital .

Edited on by nomither6

nomither6

Ralizah

@nomither6 Base model. Launch-era version from back in 2014.

The system becomes physically warm to the touch when playing God of War? Because, more than the jet turbines, that's what really got me. I've played other "demanding" games on the system and never had it act this way before.

@Th3solution I've never cleaned mine before, but seeing what my computer looks like after a few years without cracking open the case, I wouldn't be surprised if it was choked with dust.

Edited on by Ralizah

Currently Playing: Yakuza Kiwami 2 (SD)

PSN: Ralizah

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic