Forums

Topic: Bloodborne Tavern: Impressions, Help, Discussion Board

Posts 601 to 620 of 626

colonelkilgore

@ThereThere awesome news mate! So the best advice I could give you at this stage is to basically just aim to complete your corpse-run each time you respawn. You’ll surprise yourself at how easily the initial encounters will seem as you skill improves.

Also, making it to the first boss is big, after reaching it you will then be able to start levelling up… that or if you stumble upon a madman’s knowledge. That item would also enable the start of your levelling.

[removed - inappropriate] ie PlayStation user

ThereThere

@colonelkilgore When you say corpse-run, I assume you mean getting at least to the point I died last? I do feel even now, some of the enemies at the beginning are more manageable even in groups. I made it as far as a sewer thing and feeling on top of the world before being whacked off the edge and immediately hacked to death in the murky water below 🤦🏽 Dogs are ***** too.

What’s a Madman’s knowledge? Thanks Col 👍

Retired Diamond Dog.
Keep on keeping on 👍

PSN: Bundersvessel

ThereThere

@kyleforrester87 Hahaha is that even a viable option? There’s about 15 gnarly b*stards round an effigy, my heart is pounding.

Retired Diamond Dog.
Keep on keeping on 👍

colonelkilgore

@ThereThere yes sorry mate I probably should’ve elaborated… but you got it.

Madman’s knowledge gives you a point of insight if I remember correctly… and you need at least 1 point of insight to begin levelling up 👍

kyleforrester87

@ThereThere you might surprise yourself how far you get just sprinting past everything in these games versus trying to take them down methodically 😂 it’s not always a viable tactic but it does work.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

Mega-Gazz

There is that gif from walking dead where dude was casually walking past the zombies… thing he was the governor or something been a while. Anyhow that gif precisely is like all FromSoft levels.

Mega-Gazz

JohnnyShoulder

@ThereThere Pebbles can be thrown at an enemy, in order to pull them away from a group of mobs, without grabbing the attention of others.

We are now in a world of people being offended for other people who they think should be offended, who arent offended.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

ThereThere

Well it only ruddy worked didn’t it @kyleforrester87 Took me two attempts but managed to trigger the Cleric Beast! Thanks

And thanks for the pebble trick @JohnnyShoulder works a charm 👍

Now my next question would be, is it heresy amongst the BB acolytes (@ColonelKilgore) to grind a little to level myself up before ploughing on?

Retired Diamond Dog.
Keep on keeping on 👍

kyleforrester87

@ThereThere Well done!

Personally, I grind a lot in these games. I find it therapeutic and I like to have a slightly OP character, where as playing the same boss over and over too many times can be a bit frustrating to me. But, other people enjoy the challenge of being at the right level and I get that. You'll have better memories of the game getting by the skin of your teeth. Even so, having a strong character will only get you so far.

The second boss will probably be a big challenge for you, and it might force you to level up if you can't do it. Once you're over that wall, you'll have the flow you need for the rest of the game for sure.

kyleforrester87

PSN: WigSplitter1987

MaulTsir

@ThereThere hello mate, I recently just finished a blind playthrough and a plat playtrough(first From Softwaregame for me as well). It's loads of fun and by loads of fun I mean very palm sweaty and frustrating at time doing a blind playthrough and can get a little confusing and even though I managed to stumble through and complete it, as a total noob to these types of games I felt like I really did it an injustice by not fully understanding what I was doing 🤣

Anyway in my Plat playthrough I found a guy on YouTube fightincowboy, an absolutely fantastic and brilliantly in depth walk-through which makes it so easy to actually get the plat, he even has a few "cheeses" to defeat certain bosses and some very useful and handy tips for leveling.(you could literally make your self as op as wanted around the half way point of the game with one of his "hacks")

I know people say these games are best played blind but I enjoyed my plat playthrough much more because I felt like I actually under stood alot more about builds and what was going on.

MaulTsir

ThereThere

@kyleforrester87 I can appreciate both approaches and certainly don’t want to take the sting out of the challenge perhaps just give me a little edge in the early sections, and yes, character level is only part of the equation. I should note that I haven’t taken down the Clerical Beast yet, I was practically cleaved in half on my first encounter. Onwards!

Retired Diamond Dog.
Keep on keeping on 👍

colonelkilgore

@ThereThere grind away buddy… grind away. I think if the genre grips you, your subsequent souls-likes can be played more organically… but this is your first one, so get through it any which way you can 👍

ThereThere

@MaulTsir Oh my congratulations on that mate, nice to hear it’s achievable even with a newcomer to the genre and likewise, my hands have been more sweaty than I’d like. I think somewhere in between blind and slightly informed would be agreeable for me, I’ve watched a few vids but I’ll check out you guy you recommend. My main concern is that it becomes more like banging my head against the wall and I’ll abandon the whole thing, so seeking advice seems sensible.

Retired Diamond Dog.
Keep on keeping on 👍

ThereThere

colonelkilgore wrote:

@ThereThere grind away buddy… grind away. I think if the genre grips you, your subsequent souls-likes can be played more organically… but this is your first one, so get through it any which way you can 👍

You’ve just hit the nail on the head, splendid advice and just the thing I was trying to articulate thanks, I expected nothing less mate 👍 it would be great if it does indeed grip me, I’ve admired these games from afar for so long.

Retired Diamond Dog.
Keep on keeping on 👍

MaulTsir

@ThereThere yeah I very much had the same feeling as in I was worried I would get to a point of banging my head against a wall, but honestly the relief after you do beat that boss that gives you trouble is worth it, you all of a sudden realise how much your hands are sweating after the adrenaline runs out 🤣

But using the walkthrough guide from the guy on YouTube allowed me to get to grips and a better understanding of the mechanics and the game as a whole. I also didn't just go at the same boss 20 times as my frustration would just grow and grow but I found if after 4 or 5 times if I had a break even for an hour I'd go back and with in 2 or 3 attempts I'd get it. So sometimes knowing when to have a rest is a big point to enjoying these games(in my case anyway)

MaulTsir

Th3solution

@ThereThere Great advice given so far from everyone and I’ll just chime in with a ditto to what’s been said and add a few personal points.

I tried and fell off Dark Souls 1 by trying to go blind; I lasted about 4-5 hours. But with Bloodborne I accepted advice, searched YouTube videos, etc and was able to finish it without having to summon help from any NPC’s or online players and my experience with the game was simply fantastic. One of my favorite PS4 games, hands down. I did exactly as you described it — somewhere between ‘blind’ and ‘full informed guide following’. Probably little more toward informed than blind, but I mostly explored around areas on my own and tried bosses once on my own, but was quick to search a boss guide at the first inkling of frustration. There are a ton of difficult encounters, so if you try to suss them all out on your own it will definitely take a large amount of intestinal fortitude. So for me it made the game so much more enjoyable to use a few tactics suggested online. There’s no shame in it.

After running past the enemies in the first area, getting to Cleric Beast and dying, and waking up the doll to open up the ability to use echoes and level up (awesome advice from Kyle, who I think was actually the person who encouraged me to do the same a couple years ago), I also spent many hours just grinding that opening set of enemies over and over and gradually leveling. Once you’re able to level up your weapon that helps a lot too, as I recall. But yes, as a newcomer, I spent so much time in that early area until I could just routinely mop the floor of those guys and then I was able to beat the boss. If memory serves, there’s a wolf or two on that bridge too and they were probably the biggest challenge in that area besides the boss… I might have run past those on my eventual run which got me over Cleric Beast. My memory is fuzzy on it though.

Regarding Cleric Beast (and many enemies in general), well timed dodge rolling is pretty key, and you’ll eventually learn to maximize your I-frames (the timing which you’re invincible during a roll) and also learn to overcome the instinct of rolling away from the enemy because often the best strategy is staying close to them and rolling toward the enemy when you dodge. Each boss is different but that was a souls mechanic that took some “unlearning what you have learned” as the Master Yoda famously taught. 😄

Toward the middle of the game I read about a good farming spot to farm echoes and grind levels and I used that area endlessly until I was a fair bit overpowered. The further in I got the more open to using the game’s mechanics against itself I became. So I often cheesed enemies, for example by hitting them through walls, because they were doing that to me! And I think it’s been said many times but grinding and over-leveling is the game’s ‘easy mode’ so it’s all part of the design — might as well take advantage of it! 😄

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

————————

Forum Megapoll 2020 - Best Video Game Box Art: Xenoblade Chronicles 2: Special Edition

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic