Forums

Topic: Bloodborne Tavern: Impressions, Help, Discussion Board

Posts 601 to 620 of 634

Shinnok789

@JohnnyShoulder Saw the news a few days ago. First of all it's just a rumor, nothing outright confirmed like Sucker Punch did with Infamous a little while ago.
Second, even if it's true, and there's nothing on the "vine" for Schrier to hear, it may just be that

• Sony's holding it off for now, and plans to do a proper Remake on the next console.
  • Sony's using a small team, and keeping it very close to the chest, so that no info leaks out to the "leakers". Look at Santa Monica studio, Sony got so secretive with the Dad of War Ragnarok release date, that not even it's employees working on project were aware of it.
    Anyway, as usual with cases like this - time will tell.

Shinnok789

Shinnok789

@Decoy_Snake Good luck! If you find you need the cheesing method, give a shout here, I'll explain.

Shinnok789

Decoy_Snake

@Shinnok789 yeah that guy kicked my ass!! I've got a cloud save just before I fight the Wet Nurse so I'm gonna go back to him. Managed to acquire all 4 Umbilical Cords for this run and used them all just to be sure of getting the moon presence to appear, beat it my second shot puts up less of a fight than Gehrman. Platinum acquired so I'm thinking about starting again with a new character but I still have the Orphan Of Kos & Lawrence in the DLC to beat so I might go there first.

Decoy_Snake

Twitter:

Shinnok789

@Decoy_Snake
Bloody Crow of Cainhurst (the tough enemy from Eileen's quest)
There is a cheesing method if you wish. Get him to follow you towards the door of the Grand Cathedral.
He will have a limit interval beyond which he will not go.
He will descend the stairs towards the door, but then go back up again. The max he will follow you is at the door, he can't go through it.
That area is where you can work your magic.
He won't stay still, he will come for you then go back up the stairs. If you aggro him when he backs up, he will come for you again to hit you.
You can repeatedly try to aggro him until you find a good moment to parry and stagger him for a nice visceral. It wont take too much of his health, but you can repeat the process until he dies.
Be careful at his bullets, they do a lot of damage.
It's best if you use the runes Clawmark and Communion for this fight, as high as you have them. Also Hunter and a secondary Clawmark or Communion. So you have extra healing potions and more damage for your viscerals.
It works best with an Arcane character, because you can also hit him with the Executioner gloves from time to time for some extra damage. But it can also be done with a Strength character.
You can use the advantage mentioned above, but don't consider it a foolproof method. You can still easily die if you're not careful, and stay on your toes the whole time.

Lawrence
Equip your best fire protection before going in.
Runes: Fading Lake, the 10% one if you have it
Armor: Yamamura set, Bone Ash set, Old Hunter set - all 3 of those complete sets offer over 300% fire resistance.
You can also equip the Impurity rune and summon Valtr (his summon point is right inside the Cathedral where Lawrence is, before going up the stairs). He can be of big help in this tough fight.
Be sure to dispose of the Nightmare Executioner before summoning Valtr though, because sometimes he will go after the Executioner instead of following you.

Orphan of Kos
Visceral is the word of the absolute truth, the bread + peanut butter + jelly of this fight.
Runes you can use:
Clawmark: the best one you have.
Communion: extra blood vials, for yourself and extra bullets.
Formless Oedon: extra bullets = extra parry opportunities.
Hunter: for quick Stamina regen.
He has 2 phases: the first one is somewhat easier that the second. In the 2nd one he will move quicker, attack constantly, and use more ranged attacks.
He's highly aggressive, more so than any boss until now so be on your guard.
Aside from parry and viscerals, another key strategy here: when he attacks towards you, dodge towards him, not away! He tends to overreach, so most of the times you will quickstep through his attack and land behind him = free hits opportunities, even backstabs if you can manage it.
Don't get too far away from him, to prevent him from using projectile attacks.
Try not to stay close to Kos (the white creature corpse on the beach) during the fight, as the Orphan gets angry and launches a ranged attack with electrical bolts that do a lot of damage.
Keep yourself near the water, and in the water. You can't fall down in the water, there is an invisible wall that will prevent you from going too far.
Try to use the first 2-3 fights to learn his attacks, test the dodges and the parry timings. Then let him have it in the next fights.
It's best if you do this fight in NG instead of NG+ or further, because then he will have more health and his attacks will do even more damage.

Shinnok789

Shinnok789

@Decoy_Snake
If you decide to go for a second Character, here's some dungeons glyphs to help you level up and complete the build much faster.

Dungeon general requirements, that insure any and all the dungeon glyphs work.
1. Obtain the Root chalice of the dungeon you are searching for. Example: if you want to search for a glyph for a Lower Pthumeru dungeon, you will first need to get the Lower Pthumeru Root Chalice. That means playing and finishing Lower Loran fixed dungeon, with all of it's layers - in this instance the root chalice is dropped by Rom - the boss on layer 3.
2. Make at least once, a dungeon with all of the modifiers. Create a F/R/C dungeon for example, then a Sinister one. Because if the dungeon gliph you are searching for is for a F/R/C dungeon, you won't be able to join it unless you do this at least once.

Useful Dungeon glyphs:
cummmfpk
What you get : extremely easy blood echoes.
What you need: the Pthumeru challice from the Blood Starved Beast. Use it once for a ritual, and that's it, you can search for the above mentioned glyph.
This dungeon borderlines as a "cheat" level-up method, so use it if you want, or don't, your choice.
Before you enter it, equip all of the 3 Moon runes if you have them, or as many as you have.
Enter the "Chamber of the seal", and don't be alarmed about your health bar - you won't fight anyone.
Go to the first doorlike stone ark (it's just a few steps away after the lamp), stay under the ark and look left. You should see an enemy's health bar decreasing slowly, like it's being damaged by fire or smth.
Stay there until it's health bar is depleted, then continue to stay there for at least 3-5 more seconds, the time it takes for the blood echoes left by the enemy to get to you.
With all 3 Moon runes equipped you get around 143.000 echoes each time that enemy dies.
After it's dead and you have the echoes, use a "bold hunter" to respawn.
Rinse and repeat as many times as you feel necessary.
You can get about 10-12 million blood echoes an hour with all 3 runes equipped, depending on how fast you respawn. I usually do a few runs to have the echoes to buy 99 Bold Hunter Marks. Then do 99 runs in the dungeon in a row. It helps to put a video on the phone, something to watch/listen so it doesn't get too boring.
You can also do a few runs in this dungeon every time you need some echoes to buy items instead of farming for them (blood vials, bullets, pebbles, sedatives, bold hunter marks etc).

rz2xju5h - cursed radial physical damage gems, from 21% to 25.5% to physical, with various curses
From the "Chamber of the seal" lamp, go forward and enter the first door on the left. Follow the path until you reach a circular room (you won't encounter any enemies until that room). The Merciless Watcher is in the center, but on the lower floor - it's a big fat dude with a club, can't miss him.
Use Bold Hunter Marks after the fight to respawn faster.

3se6ayca - easy cursed fire/bolt radial gems
Layer 1 - right after the lamp, you will find yourself standing on the top of a ladder. Below you are 2 kights with swords. Aggro them, so they start to climb the ladder. As they do, prepare a heavy R2 hit to smack them back down as soon as they get on your platform. Rince and repeat until they die. Use Bold Hunter Marks after the fight to respawn faster. The Moonlight Sword is the most fun here, it's Hold R2 + R2 attack sends the enemy flying

upimjwpq - cursed arcane radial gems
Layer 1 - same as 3se6ayca mentioned above, defeat the 2 sword enemies while standing on the top of the ladder.

9hdhpcqv - waning fire gem
F / R / C, Lower Loran - if you can't join it, see the general requirements above!
Up to 21% Fire, +31.5 Fire from Red-Aura Madman
Layer 1 main area, immediately after lamp

h6ughknb
Fire abyssal gems at Watchdog
Bosses in this dungeon : L1:BPS, L2:Silverbeast, L3: Watchdog.

pxmq3t98 - buy the Sinister Pthumeru Ihyll Root Chalice - from messengers
First floor main area look for bath messenger to buy the Sinister Pthumeru Ihyll Root Chalice.
Go left after Layer 1 lamp and up the ladder, pass 1 closed door and there it is.

p2tbyrh2 - get the Eye Rune
Layer 1 - side area before main lamp

zh784e7n - Easy Blood Chunks
Reversed dungeon
Layer 1 boss - Pig - very easy to defeat, and drops 1-2 chunks

6gn7kd3v - Easy Blood Rock
Layer One - First bonus area before main lamp, get it from the big chest as usual.

f3cz4awe - top tier cursed bloodtinge gem
Layer 1 - Bonus area before main lamp
Equip the Eye rune to increase the drops.
Kill the fat enemy next to the big chest.

There are many more glyphs out there, but I don't have them on tap.
Anyway, as a general rule: if you need something, one of the runes, a specific weapon, a blood gem, etc, most of the time there is a dungeon glyph out there that you can use to get it faster. All you need to do is google for it, and see if you find an easy glyph (sometimes you find more dungeon glyphs for the same object, and some of them are easier than others, or you can find the item in Layer 1 in some of them, instead of Layer 2 or 3 etc)

Edited on by Shinnok789

Shinnok789

Decoy_Snake

@Shinnok789 thanks tips my dude, definitely want to knock the last 2 bosses off it would be great to 100% the trophy list

Decoy_Snake

Twitter:

Shinnok789

@ThereThere There is not an easy/direct answer, it very much depends on the situation.
Example: the Ashen Hunter set has the highest Frenzy resistance, except the headpiece, which is surpassed by the Beak Mask from the Crowfeather set. So if you want high Frenzy resistance, to help in certain situations (the start of the Nightmare of Mensis area, or farming Winter Lanterns for cursed Physical Attack gems), you can use the Armor Leggings and Gloves from the Ashen, and the Beak Mask from the Crowfeather. Combine it with a Deep Sea and/or a Great Deep Sea runes to increase this resistance by a ton.

Same idea can be applied for other Armor sets and situations as well.

For myself I usually use the Hunter Set from the sewers in Yharnam for the first areas in the game, until BSB, replace it with Gascoigne set for that fight (high Poison resists).
Then I kill Henryk (part of Eileen the Crow's questline), and I buy Henryk's set. Which I use after Amelia boss fight.
And I also use this set in general, in ~50-60% of the game (aside from specific boss fights mentioned in this post)... simply because I like how it looks ^_^

Also use Henryk set with a Dissipating Lake rune for the Darkbeast Paarl fight (this set has the highest Bolt resistance).

For the Cairnhurst boss fight (Martyr Logarius, which I usually dispose of before Rom), I use a combination of Graveguard Mask, Executioner Garb, Student Trousers, Hunter Gloves with the 2nd Arcane Lake rune (among others). Also use this combination for the following bosses: Rom, Amygdala, Ebrietas, The One Reborn - all of them combine Arcane and Physical damages.

I use the Charred Hunter set with the hat from the Yamamura set and a Fading Lake rune for the Laurence the First Vicar boss fight (high fire resistance, with some Physical resistance on the side). Since the fight is optional, I usually leave it for last, after the Orphan of Kos, so I can get the Yamamura set in the meantime.

For the later parts of the game, when Frenzy or other specific resistances are not specifically required, I find that the most versatile is the Harrowed Set. One can pick it up it in the Fishing Hamlet, which is quite far into the game.
But I find it very useful, especially in hard areas, like deep dungeons (4 and 5), and against enemies that do a lot of Physical damage in general.
I beat Orphan of Kos with this set, and most Dungeon bosses (aside from Watchdog of the Old Lords, that does a lot of fire damage). So it's very much worth getting as soon as you arrive in the Fishing Hamlet.

Don't get too hung up on the Armor sets though.
They can help, yes, but their help is somewhat limited.
It's best to concentrate on getting the highest possible runes, because their help is much more important. Use dungeon glyphs to get the highest variants as soon as possible.
Google each rune you need and add "glyph" to the search, and see what you find. You may need some big Root chalices though, like Isz, Pthumeru Ihyll, Lower Ailing Loran in order to join said glyphs... it will be difficult to obtain those Root chalices, but definitely doable! And don't forget to do at least 1 ritual with F/R/C on the side, to be able to join glyphs that require at least one or all of those offerings.

Edited on by Shinnok789

Shinnok789

Th3solution

@CJD87 Howā€™s Bloodborne coming along? Curious to see how you rank it amongst the FromSoft catalogue.

ā€œWe cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.ā€

CJD87

@Th3solution Hey mate, well I promised myself I wouldn't kick it off 'in earnest' until I'm home at the weekend.... but I obviously couldn't help but dip my toes in the water

Wow... aesthetically it is probably my favorite world among all the FS games I've played. The whole lovecraftian/gothic city vibe is incredible, and a really jarring departure from the worlds of DeS/DS/ER etc.

I'm enjoying that it seems to be a nice middle-ground in regards to build-making, and falls somewhere between the sheer vastness of DS/ER builds and non-existent builds in Sekiro.

Combat is taking some getting used to... almost feels like I'm playing Returnal! I guess in Bloodborne that dodge is the new block LOL

Graphically it still holds up, but I must confess that I am noticing the 30FPS performance - probably because I've been spoilt with so many smooth titles on PS5. Wish FS would drop a 60FPS patch, but can't see this happening.

Cleric beast wrecked me, but I had 0 upgraded gear and hadn't levelled up once... so this was probably my fault!

I'm getting lost a lot in Yharnam but loving it. Initial thoughts - I don't think it will top Sekiro for me (my favorite FS game) but it could well beat DS/ER.

How do you rank it in the FS output?? And any good tips for beginner builds and stat allocation?

CJD87

colonelkilgore

@CJD87 Glad to hear that youā€™ve gotten around to starting Bloodborneā€¦ it really is a phenomenal game. My early advice would be to lean on the side-step while locked-on (as opposed to a dodge-roll) and also the rally system where you can regain lost health if you successfully attack within a short space of time after taking damage. These two small changes to the From Soft combat makes it the best combat system that theyā€™ve put out yet imho.

**** DLC!

Th3solution

@CJD87 Good to see youā€™re off to a favorable start! I thought youā€™d really enjoy it, knowing your gaming preferences. Absolutely agree on the environmental setting and gameplay. Itā€™s a fantastic game.

Itā€™s been a minute since I played it (probably about 4 years) so Iā€™ve forgotten what my build was specifically, but I approached it fairly conventionally with focus on vitality, strength, and skill. Honestly, it was my first proper FromSoft game (outside of a failed attempt after playing the opening few hours of the original Dark Souls back on PS3) and I didnā€™t really know what I was doing and didnā€™t understand the importance of stat allocation and scaling. I mostly ignored Arcane and Bloodtinge, and didnā€™t realize their impact. Although I know people have said a Bloodtinge build is quite a fun novelty build, I do think it can be largely ignored due to the more kinetic style of the game with heavy reliance on the dodge move as your chief means of defense. And Iā€™ve never really enjoyed parry mechanics in general and I struggled to be consistent with the firearms, but with your Sekiro experience you might really like a Bloodtinge build. Still, for a first run itā€™s probably better to use it sparingly because itā€™s sort of an ā€˜all or nothingā€™ stat in which you have no use to invest in it unless you get the bloodtinge number really high and use it with some of the specialty weapons.

Speaking of, I personally started with the sawblade and made it through the first half of the game strictly with it, and it can actually carry you through to the end game. Itā€™s a fantastic weapon. Nevertheless, I used a lot of Ludwigā€™s Holy Blade and the Tonitrus in specific situations toward the second half of the game and they were a life saver for certain enemies. So I guess I must have put some points into Arcane eventually, but in retrospect I probably didnā€™t get the most out of those weapons that I could have. I made it through the game with a lot of brute forcing my way by over-leveling and grinding lower enemies and dipping into a few boss guides.

I had an absolutely blast with the game though. This thread was very helpful, and Iā€™m not sure I would have made it through the game without a little encouragement and advice from the Push Square elect.

Since I have only completed Bloodborne and Demonā€™s Souls (and spent a little time with Dark Souls 1) itā€™s hard for me to be a good judge, but BB is definitely my favorite of the FromSoft Iā€™ve played and is probably one of my top 10 PS4 games overall, which is saying a lot for a console that was stacked with excellent titles. Maybe even top 5, depending on my mood.

I look forward to hearing about your adventures in Yharnam. The bosses are really excellent and some a quite brutal. With your Retunal and Sekiro resumeā€™ youā€™ll have no problem making it though, and I suspect youā€™ll consider it up there with Fromā€™s best.

ā€œWe cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.ā€

CJD87

@colonelkilgore High praise from a man with fine taste in games Thanks for the tip re. combat, it seems like BB definitely 'rewards' aggressive playstyle (vs Souls that encourage a more conservative block&roll tactic). I know I am really going to enjoy it, so might put it on the burner for a week or so until I have a decent chunk of time to invest in my 'starting play'!

@Th3solution Thanks for the feedback, and you've put me at ease regarding my choice of initial weapon (Sawblade.... phew!)
I can tell I am really going to love this game, and am hoping I can handle the difficulty based on other titles I've enjoyed/beat - you never know though!
I was debating also getting Thymesia, but the reviews (from critics and also players) seem fairly divisive. Allegedly it plays like Bloodborne-lite, and has fairly solid mechanics with a nice short game time.

But I can tell I'll love Bloodborne. Just can't get over how much I'm digging the aesthetic... it is just so cool, like someone created a world based on a real living nightmare land!
I'll comb back through this thread a bit for tips, and will also come knocking on your door mate if things get really bleak

Thanks again for the warm comments and feedback - Yharnam looks to be a blast

CJD87

Th3solution

@CJD87 Sure thing, buddy. I would offer my skills for co-op if you run into any bosses you struggle with but Iā€™m afraid Iā€™m so out of practice that Iā€™d probably be more of a hinderance than a help! šŸ˜… But yeah, if nothing else Iā€™ll enjoy experiencing the game again through the eyes and ears of first timer. Itā€™s a game I relish hearing about because of the memories.
Our mate @ThereThere was also playing this not too long ago. Do you ever finish the game, boss? Curious as to your thoughts.

CJD87

Oh wow... this game!

In case anyone is remotely interested, thought I'd post a quick update about my 1st playthrough progress.

After a few tries I finally managed to topple the Cleric Beast, and have now hit the wall that is Father Gascoigne. Granted, I've only had a couple of pops at him - but the pacing and ferocity of the fight is pretty punishing at first attempts.

I like so much about this game, and think it will probably rank in my FS top #3. I know already that the atmosphere/environment/aesthetic is my favorite among all FS's output, and the whole lovecraftian victorian vibe is just..... so cool.

I've been doing a bit of grinding to up my stats a bit, currently pushing 20 VIT, with 14 END & 14 STR. Plan to keep things simple on this playthrough and just really focus on those 3 stats (Work with STR weapons I guess).

My biggest stumbling block is the controls, but this is more a 'me' problem.... I'm still playing a lot of Sunbreak on Switch, and the control schemes for MHR/Bloodborne are basically polar opposites. If this becomes really problematic I might re-map Bloodborne so that the face buttons are the attacks, but this is a last resort - keen to play the game as FS intended (Control scheme, warts and all)

My favorite moment so far - the giant pig in the sewers! I tried to best him 'face on' and got brutally pummelled. Eventually found a shortcut to sneak up behind him and use the sneak/visceral attack, which seemed to involve shoving my character's arm up a very unpleasant place and decimating the pig ha!

Shortcuts and mapping is very 'dark souls' and rewarding in all those ways. I appreciate the tightness of the world and linearity also. I feel that when I beat Father G, this will be infinitely helpful in my pursuit to 'Git Gud'..... Which was one small niggle I had with Elden Ring (perhaps just a little too much scope for becoming OP vs bosses, and diminishing an element of challenge)

So far, my FS ranking is still Sekiro at #1, then ER #2 - but followed v closely by BB at #3. I'd probably then go DS1 @ #4 and DeS last. (I've not played DS2 or 3)

On a side-note, have anyone played Thymesia? Reviews seem divisive but many suggest it is scratching the 'Bloodborne itch'?!

CJD87

colonelkilgore

@CJD87 sounds like your not only making some good progressā€¦ but also really enjoying it dude šŸ‘. Little tip for Father Gascoigne, use the environment such as grave stones etc to manage distanceā€¦ big tip for FG there is an item which helps in this particular fight.

About Thymesia, so I havenā€™t started it yet but Iā€™m confident Iā€™m gonna love it (so confident that I searched out a physical copy for my collection). I think the mixed reviews are as a result of reviewers being from two distinct camps. People who just got on board the souls-like hype train post-Elden Ring and people who would be considered hardcore souls-like fans. The former seem to think it poor, while the latter seem to really appreciate what it offers.

**** DLC!

JohnnyShoulder

@CJD87 @colonelkilgore Lies of P might be a better bet when it comes out.

My tip for Father Gascoigne is there is an area up some stairs, where I fared much better against him. I found I was always getting stick on a tree or some gravestones, which that area is free of.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

colonelkilgore

@JohnnyShoulder yeah Lies of P does look very good so farā€¦ Iā€™m still looking forward to playing Thymesia though. The combination of having to co-ordinate a two-pronged attack by inflicting plague followed by pure damage appeals.

Weā€™re gonna be spoiled for choice shortly, what with the two mentioned above, Shattered: Tale of a Forgotten King as well as the upcoming Steelrising and Black Myth Wukong. I might have to up my annual intake of souls-likes just to keep up šŸ˜…

**** DLC!

JohnnyShoulder

@colonelkilgore I've not actually had much joy other than games made by From Software. Think the only one I've enjoyed is The Surge, and I wouldn't say that was outstanding. At this point I will probably wait until DLC for Elden Ring to materialise.

Life is more fun when you help people succeed, instead of wishing them to fail.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.

PSN: JohnnyShoulder

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic