Forums

Topic: Team [404 - Team Name Not Found] Deliberation Station

Posts 341 to 360 of 500

Jaz007

@Th3solution Here are my votes. I can count tonight late, but if you want to do so beforehand that’s fine. Next week everything will be back to normal and I’ll be able to take care of being team captain again. You’ve done a great job during this time! Thanks a lot for taking over.
Rock Revolution Zoë Mode Pointless
Rocksmith Ubisoft Montreal Important
Rocksmith 2014 Ubisoft San Francisco Important
Rogue Warrior Zombie Studios / Rebellion Developments Pointless
Rugby League Live Big Ant Studios Not Important
Rugby League Live 2 Big Ant Studios Pointless
Rugby League Live 3 Big Ant Studios Not Important
Rugby World Cup 2011 Big Ant Studios Not Important
Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny Neverland Co. Existing
The Saboteur Pandemic Studios Important
Sacred 2: Fallen Angel Ascaron Entertainment Important
Sacred 3 Keen Games Not important
Saint Seiya: Brave Soldiers Dimps Corporation Not important
Saint Seiya: Sanctuary Battle Dimps Corporation Not Important
Saint Seiya: Soldiers' Soul Dimps Corporation Existing
Saints Row 2 Volition Existing
Saints Row: The Third Volition Important
Saints Row IV Volition Existing
Saw Zombie Studios Existing
Saw II Zombie Studios pointless
SBK-08: Superbike World Championship Milestone Not Important
SBK-09: Superbike World Championship Milestone Existing

Jaz007

Th3solution

@Jaz007 I’ve got it covered today. This is my tally. (And you’re very welcome regarding taking the leadership duties. No problem and I hope your trip was a good one - Airport delays notwithstanding)

Rock Revolution - Pointless
Rocksmith - Important
Rocksmith 2014 - Important
Rogue Warrior - Existing
Rugby League Live - Not Important
Rugby League Live 2 - Pointless
Rugby League Live 3 - Not Important
Rugby World Cup 2011 - Not Important
Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny - Existing
The Saboteur - Important
Sacred 2: Fallen Angel - Important
Sacred 3 - Existing
Saint Seiya: Brave Soldiers - Pointless
Saint Seiya: Sanctuary Battle - Not Important
Saint Seiya: Soldiers' Soul - Existing
Saints Row 2 - Important
Saints Row: The Third - Important
Saints Row IV - Existing
Saw - Existing
Saw II - Not Important
SBK-08: Superbike World Championship - Not Important
SBK-09: Superbike World Championship - Existing

Very Important
NONE

Important
Rocksmith
Rocksmith 2014
The Saboteur
Sacred 2: Fallen Angel
Saints Row 2
Saints Row: The Third

Existing
Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny
Sacred 3
Saint Seiya: Soldiers' Soul
Saints Row IV
Saw
SBK-09: Superbike World Championship

Not Important
Rogue Warrior
Rugby League Live
Rugby League Live 3
Rugby World Cup 2011
Saint Seiya: Sanctuary Battle
Saw II
SBK-08: Superbike World Championship

Pointless
Rock Revolution
Rugby League Live 2
Saint Seiya: Brave Soldiers

Edited on by Th3solution

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Th3solution

I used a point averaging system on the few games that weren’t clear cut from the voting. I think it turned out fair. If there is no opposition, then I’ll post this on the main thread. Thanks everyone for your efforts on a somewhat underwhelming week of games. I’ll turn the reins over to Capt Jaz for next week.

“We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used when we created them.”

Th3solution

@RogerRoger ... Well, we didn’t get Star Wars, but we got Sonic. 😃

RogerRoger

@Th3solution Damn right we did!

Just for neatness, and since I'm the first one here this morning, here are this week's games for our consideration. I'll obviously be following up with some in-depth hedgehog-related thoughts.

Team [404 - Team Name Not Found]
@Jaz007 (Captain) @Th3solution (Vice-Captain)
@Frigate @RogerRoger @themcnoisy @TowaHerschel7

SOCOM 4: U.S. Navy SEALs Zipper Interactive
SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation Slant Six Games
Soldier of Fortune: Payback Cauldron HQ
Sonic Generations Sonic Team
Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing Sumo Digital
Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed Sumo Digital
Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection Backbone Entertainment
Sonic Unleashed Sonic Team
Sorcery The Workshop
Soulcalibur IV Project Soul
Soulcalibur V Project Soul
South Park: The Stick of Truth Obsidian Entertainment / South Park Digital Studios
Spec Ops: The Line Yager Development
Spider-Man 3 Treyarch
Spider-Man: Edge of Time Beenox
Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions Beenox
Spider-Man: Web of Shadows Treyarch / Shaba Games
Splatterhouse BottleRocket Entertainment / Namco Bandai Games
Split/Second: Velocity Black Rock Studio
SpongeBob SquarePants: Plankton's Robotic Revenge Behaviour Interactive

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

PSN: GDS_2421
Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

Before I go the full (hedge)hog with the Sonic games, I'm gonna jot down a few thoughts about two other titles that leapt out at me above. One I've played, the other I've watched.

Spec Ops: The Line should be given serious consideration. Whilst I've never played it myself, I have watched large parts of it, to the point where I feel like I don't have to play it now (kinda like how somebody told me the twist ending to The Sixth Sense, so I don't ever have to watch it). It may not have sold like hotcakes, but it's generated so much discussion about gaming narrative and presentation alone that its influence cannot be ignored. I'm sure somebody here will have played it themselves, and will be able to speak more eloquently to this point, but I'd personally push for Important, if not Very Important.

Split/Second: Velocity is not only a game I've played, it's a game I keep booting up my PS3 to return to, if only for short blasts. The best way to describe it is essentially "Michael Bay Directs Mario Kart" (in the best possible way). You take part in a reality TV street racing show where drivers can trigger "power plays" if they drive with enough skill; these power plays can be anything from a small barrel of fuel exploding next to your opponent, to having a Boeing 747 land on the runway you're all driving down. You're in last place? That's okay. Everybody ahead of you just reached that giant dam. Collapse it. Boom. It's all highly-stylised, with a trademark lensflare-at-sunset palette which the PS3 does an amazing job with. It just feels incredible to play, and is a spectacular amount of over-the-top fun. Unfortunately, despite critics and gamers alike agreeing on all this, it didn't sell well enough for Disney Interactive and Black Rock Studio, and the planned sequel was cancelled. For that reason, I can't give it top honours, but I can sure as heck push for Important as a bare minimum.

I should also note that I've played a heck of a lot of SoulCalibur IV but on Xbox360 (my flatmate had one at university, stop judging me). If the two versions looked and played identical, save for us having Yoda instead of Darth Vader, then I guess I could claim a double vote for that as well. I'll do further research on that specific point before putting anything concrete down.

"We want different things, Crosshair. That doesn't mean that we have to be enemies."

Making It So Since 1987

RogerRoger

Alrighty then...

Sonic Generations is perhaps the best-received and most-beloved 3D Sonic game ever released. Created to celebrate Sonic's 20th Anniversary, it tells a time-travel story to bring together Classic Sonic (and his 2D platforming gameplay, rendered in full 3D) and Modern Sonic (with a perfected version of his Hedgehog Engine "boost" gameplay from the Day Stages of Sonic Unleashed… more on that later) and send them hurtling through fifteen levels, one from each previous Sonic adventure. Everything is recreated with more love, care and attention than even I, a die-hard fan, think is necessary; from the smallest of background details to the phenomenal soundtrack, nothing feels like it was rushed in development. There's even an unlockable SEGA MegaDrive / Genesis emulator on which you can play the original 1991 Sonic the Hedgehog in full. Despite the PS3 version's framerate being chuggy in a few places, I have zero hesitation pushing for Very Important without any apology. This is the highest Sonic has ever soared, before or since.

Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing was amazing when it was first released; finally the PS3 had a competent fan-service kart racer! Unfortunately, that excitement blinded me and many fans to the fact that, at its core, this first Sumo Digital offering was incredibly limited. The gameplay was excellent, but it lacked a solid progression system. There's no campaign, just a series of four-race cups, and you can't select any of them in splitscreen multiplayer (meaning you see a heck of a lot of long loading screens between single races, killing the pace when you've got your friends round). But it runs super-smooth on PS3, looks gorgeous at all times and the broad range of SEGA characters, from Sonic to Shenmue's Ryo Hazuki, are represented beautifully. In many ways, therefore, it felt like a proof-of-concept beta for what was to follow. If I were being harsh, I'd call it Existing.

Because that beta paid off with Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, widely considered to be one of the greatest kart racers ever made. Retaining the broad roster of characters, the real stars of this game are the tracks; each one changes multiple times throughout a three-lap race, collapsing roads or shifting environments (some even tell stories). To help navigate such chaos, karts will transform for you automatically, either to a boat or a plane and, quite often, to all three in a single lap. And this isn't just "falling with style", either; flying is fully simulated, and the boat's water-logged physics are spot-on as well. This gives everything a bit of a steeper learning curve than before, but it's well-paced and you'll have unlocked everything before the really challenging stuff kicks in during the campaign; yep, Sumo Digital realised their past mistake and added a campaign to all this and, more importantly, made every single game mode drop-in / drop-out local multiplayer for up to four players. The framerate can struggle a couple times, especially in splitscreen, but not badly enough to impact gameplay (you'll probably be too busy listening to the awesome original soundtrack to notice). Very Important, hands down, and the best kart racer on PS3.

I've never played Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection (known as the SEGA MegaDrive Ultimate Collection here in the UK) because it included inferior ports of the classic Sonic games, of which I have better ports on other consoles. I'll research it later in the week, if nobody else gives a ranking.

Sonic Unleashed is a tricky one. On the one hand, it's a vast, sprawling world adventure, at times more like an RPG than a traditional platformer. It has some stunning environments, all quite diverse in design and execution, and a near-perfect soundtrack accompanies Sonic as he wanders around hub worlds and blasts through Day Stages (the same ones I referenced before; this game introduced the Hedgehog Engine and Modern Sonic's defining "boost" gameplay, which was an instant hit and went on to be featured in Sonic Colours, Sonic Generations and Sonic Forces). On the other, however, this is also the game where Sonic becomes the Werehog when the sun goes down. The slow-paced, brawler Night Stages are divisive for many (who probably would've loved them if they starred Knuckles instead) but served as a crucial change of pace for an otherwise eye-meltingly fast blur of an experience. For a long time, this was my all-time favourite Sonic game. Objectively speaking, I can understand people's reaction to the Werehog (even if I don't agree with it) and definitely must admit that the PS3 version's performance is less-than-stable in certain locations... but all that aside, it invented a brand new gameplay style which still defines Modern Sonic to this day, and is a lovingly-crafted, rich experience. On the strength of those last two points, I'm pushing for Important but wouldn't argue against others who feel strongly enough to drag it down a ranking.

Phew. Knew I'd enjoy myself when we got to the S games!

Edited on by RogerRoger

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

@RogerRoger Nice work! Thanks!

And I also have never played Spec Ops The Line, but have heard repeatedly about how under rated the game is — One of the best games that no one played. Colin talks about it a lot. Fortunately I haven’t had the story spoiled so maybe I’ll play it eventually, even though it’s not in my typical genre of interest.
I also played SoulCalibur 4, probably the only game I can take credit for playing. It was a solid SC game, sold well, and the Star Wars character inclusion was quite novel. I didn’t play SC 5, for some reason, and I think it’s the one that had Ezio from Assassins Creed in it. I don’t think it was quite as well received.
But otherwise, I’m pretty useless this week as despite many of our games being recognizable, I didn’t play any of them.

Edited on by Th3solution

RogerRoger

@Th3solution No problemo!

Yeah, I seem to recall SoulCalibur IV being one of those games that everybody ended up playing somehow, even if you've never played any other fighting games... which is weird for a series which has since slipped into relative obscurity. Must've been one of the earliest / best fighting games of the generation, or maybe it was the pull of the Star Wars novelty tie-in. Or both.

I hesitate to immediately say "play Spec Ops" because it's quite a harrowing game but, if you ever feel like you've got a particularly strong stomach and wanna get all psychological, it's recommended.

Making It So Since 1987

themcnoisy

@RogerRoger Soul Calibur 6 has sold really well recently. It's a good game to boot and well worth picking up with a good campaign mode.

SC 4 was decent but lacked a proper Soul Calibur fighting mode, you had tower of souls which was pretty weak compared to what we had in SC 1-3. Overall a decent game I enjoyed it. I'm stuck between Important and existing. Important it is.

SC 5 was faster than previous games and the parry system was nerfed and you could crush gaurds in an effort to attract new gamers and appease the yet to be named esport crowd. It had the adverse effect of ruining what made Soul Calibur so special. The main single player mode was a copy of Tekkens gradually improving rank in vs mode and a typical SC campaign mode was missing. Existing.

Forum Best Game of All Time Awards

PS3 Megathread 2019: The Last of Us
Multiplat 2018: Horizon Zero Dawn
Nintendo 2017: Super Mario Bros 3
Playstation 2016: Uncharted 2
Multiplat 2015: Final Fantasy 7

PSN: mc_noisy

RogerRoger

@themcnoisy Ah, that explains what happened to SoulCalibur V, then... thanks!

Now that you mention it, I do remember a lot of positive buzz about the latest game, yeah. Apologies for saying they'd become obscure!

Making It So Since 1987

themcnoisy

My initial impressions

SOCOM 4: U.S. Navy SEALs Zipper Interactive
SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation Slant Six Games

🎮Soldier of Fortune: Payback Cauldron HQ - Not Important
🎮 Sonic Generations Sonic Team - Important
🎮 Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing Sumo Digital - Important

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed Sumo Digital

🎮 Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection Backbone Entertainment - Very Important

Sonic Unleashed Sonic Team
Sorcery The Workshop

🎮 Soulcalibur IV Project Soul - Important
🎮 Soulcalibur V Project Soul - Existing
🎮 South Park: The Stick of Truth Obsidian Entertainment / South Park Digital Studios - Very Important

Spec Ops: The Line Yager Development - Very Important

Spider-Man 3 Treyarch
Spider-Man: Edge of Time Beenox
Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions Beenox
Spider-Man: Web of Shadows Treyarch / Shaba Games
Splatterhouse BottleRocket Entertainment / Namco Bandai Games
Split/Second: Velocity Black Rock Studio
SpongeBob SquarePants: Plankton's Robotic Revenge Behaviour Interactive

Edited on by themcnoisy

RogerRoger

@themcnoisy May I ask why you've only given Sonic Generations an average ranking? No judgement or argument from me; just curious, s'all.

Making It So Since 1987

Jaz007

I’ve played Sonic’s Ultimate Genesis Collection and I’d say it’s important. Great upres, lets you make saves at any point, has lots of extras, and huge number of games. Absolute model retro collection. I’d say important
I’ve also played Split/Second it was as well done with a great concept. Also important.

Jaz007

themcnoisy

@RogerRoger laggy controls and the 3d parts were weak. The 2d sections were good but something was missing, was there bonus games I can't recall?

I picked it up on the back of the previews and was completely underwhelmed. Similar to the way I felt about Sonic 4. I never finished it and that says a lot.

I still haven't finished Sonic Mania either. Anyhow it could sit in either Important (based on the rejuvenation of the series, the 2 differing gameplay styles and soundtrack) or existing being knocked down for rehashes of stages, the lag and I found it annoying around the mid game when you need to hit difficult jumps.

Edit I will boost it to important. I only just caught your above post on all of the sonic games and as a mate will negate my own opinion in favour of your own. I still can't get over the lag though.

Edited on by themcnoisy

themcnoisy

@Jaz007 yup. I gave it very important as its the standard bearer for retro compilations.

If you liked sonic mega drive collection the one on Ps4 is arguably better imo with a slightly better catalogue of games.

Jaz007

@themcnoisy When you put it like that I agree that it should be very important. Shame all retro collections aren’t so good

Jaz007

RogerRoger

@themcnoisy Hey, I appreciate the gesture, but you've gotta be honest in your rankings; if you wanna put it down as Existing, put it down as Existing!

Sure sounds like you've got solid and objective reasons for wanting to. I'm not somebody who tends to notice input lag (I just teach myself to press the button quicker, as part of every new game's learning curve) but if it bothered you, and you didn't like the Modern Sonic stages, then stand by your assertion. Particularly if you were underwhelmed / frustrated enough to stop playing because it only got more precise and fiddly as it went along.

There were bonus levels of a kind. Each zone had five gateways above it in the White Space through which you were set a series of challenges (he says, totally not in a Clarkson voice). Some replicated experiences like the pinball tables and halfpipes of old; others did things like races, ring collection or even a rhythm-based dance-off with Vector.

Making It So Since 1987

Th3solution

I thought I remember from back when Marvel’s Spider-Man came out that @KALofKrypton had commented a fair amount about the quality of the prior Spider-Man games. Sir, maybe you could shed some light on these games for us.

This topic has been archived, no further posts can be added.